Requests for new languages/Wikiversity Tamil
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikiversity Tamil|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||ta (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Tamil||Language name in English|
|Language name||தமிழ்||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q5885 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||விக்கிப்பல்கலைக்கழகம்||"Wikiversity" in your language|
|Project namespace||விக்கிப்பல்கலைக்கழகம்||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||விக்கிப்பல்கலைக்கழகம் பேச்சு||"Wikiversity talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Chennai||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
- With more than 65,000,000 first-language speakers, having many Tamil medium Engineering courses and having a lot of Tamil Universities, Wikiversity Tamil will do better for those students who are studying through Tamil and also Engish of Tamil native speakers.--Inbamkumar86 (talk) 09:09, 3 June 2012 (UTC)
- support this project ----தமிழ்க்குரிசில் (talk) 17:15, 8 July 2012 (UTC)
- support this project--சஞ்சீவி சிவகுமார் (talk) 09:52, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- support this project. ta:விக்கிப்பீடியா:குறுந்தட்டு திட்டம். After Tamil Wikipedia CD releases contributors for this Wikiversity Tamil will defenitely increase.--தென்காசி சுப்பிரமணியன் (talk) 10:52, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- support --C.R.Selvakumar (talk) 12:08, 6 July 2012 (UTC)--C.R.Selvakumar (talk) 12:08, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
July 2012 (UTC)
- i Support this project user:premalathajawahar
- As the awareness about thamizh wikipedia among students increasing gradually(nowadays tamizh school education curriculum includes thamizh wikipedia's url at various lessons as references) we do expect more new contributors in near future. I hope it is easy to make them to contribute to wikiversity also. So, in my opinion Wikiversity in thamizh will flourish very well. I support the project. --- கி. கார்த்திகேயன் (talk) 05:37, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
- I Support this Project. -- Dineshkumar Ponnusamy (talk) 05:52, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
- i support this document,this project is very useful for our students. shameer(talk)
- I Support the proposal. The need for Tamil Wikiversity is needed.
- I Support the proposal. A Tamil Wikiversity would be good. --Ephert (talk) 03:29, 23 September 2012 (UTC)
- Support A Tamil Wikiversity could help a lot of Tamil persons to learn foreign languages and other things in their own language. The Tamil language community is important enough and with a big diaspora all over the world. Needed project. --Sarvaturi (talk) 16:10, 25 September 2015 (UTC)
- The size of current Tamil Wikimedia community is not big enough to work on more Wikimedia projects.Except for Tamil Wikipedia and Tamil Wiktionary, other projects haven't evolved much and are only few member communities. I don't see a clear plan of action or dedicated volunteer community for Tamil Wikiversity. So, I would like to stay neutral for time being and try this after few years (say after 2015) when we have a more mature community which can afford to focus it's energy in various projects--Ravidreams (talk) 13:25, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- Hi, the concept for creating new projects is that contributions may already be made in the so-called "test wiki" at betawikiversity:முதற் பக்கம். If there is enough activity there, the creation of the ta.wikiversity.org "full wiki" can be considered. So you can be sure that Tamil Wikiversity will only be created when it is clear that there are enough active contributors. --MF-W 18:29, 8 July 2012 (UTC)
- I am agreeing with Ravidream's comment. -- மதனாஹரன் (talk) 14:10, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- I agree with Ravi's opinions.-- த♥ உழவன் +உரை.. 04:24, 7 July 2012 (UTC)
- I'm not denying that there is truth to Ravi's point, but the creation of Wikiversity can help other projects like Wikipedia because one can add material here, as in a coursework, which can contribute to the value of the content created in Wikipedia or other sister projects. Further there may be other sets of contributors who might be attracted to and interested in this, more than the Wikipedia or Wiktionary. It would add diversity to the style and scope of content. Plans for the streams and courses can be developed in due course. Tamil Virtual University has experience in developing courses for Tamil language at the University degree level, and we an take those as role model. Courses in Linguistics, Engineering and Medicine, and Basic Sciences like Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and Computer Science are all possible. There are literally thousands of people who can contribute to these fields in Tamil, but an easy avenue like the Wikiversity would help to attract some of them. Tamil Wikipedia itself didn't have any dedicated volunteer community when it first started. Awareness is now spreading, and I hope to see a good participation. Perhaps it would be a bit slow in the beginning, like it started in Tamil Wikipedia, but it will soon gain greater participation I believe.--C.R.Selvakumar (talk) 17:55, 6 July 2012 (UTC)