Requests for new languages/Wikivoyage Thai
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikivoyage Thai|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||th (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Thai||Language name in English|
|Language name||ไทย||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q9217 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||Taweetham(Ν), Palmy U-U (Ν),
You can optionally list your user name if you're a contributor to the wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Project name||วิกิท่องเที่ยว||"Wikivoyage" in your language|
|Project namespace||วิกิท่องเที่ยว||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||คุยเรื่องวิกิท่องเที่ยว||"Wikivoyage talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||No||Files should be uploaded to Commons, but if you want, you can enable local file uploading.
Notes: (1) files on Commons can be used on all wikis; (2) this setting can be changed afterwards; (3) uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info); (4) localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons
|Project logo||File:Wikivoyage-logo-th.png||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Bangkok||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
- Thai is the only official language in Thailand. It is very closed to Lao and is mutually intelligible to Lao. Main users of Thai are therefore Thai and Lao people. The combined population of the two countries is over 70 millions. Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wiktionary, Wikiquote and Wikibooks are all well established in Thai. (Thai Wikinews was closed due to long period of inactivity.)
- As Thailand has gone into upper middle income economy, there is clearly a need for online free travel guide both for domestic and international travels. Thai government currently issues 1.5 million passports per year and has recently added an additional alphabet to passport number to cope with the growing demand. Thai speakers, however, have a very limited access to quality free online travel guide in Thai. We currently rely on information from travel agents/providers, blogs and Wikipedia. I believe that the Thai Wikivoyage can definitely cater for this growing number of Thai travellers.
- It is expected that the Thai Wikivoyage will mutually benefit the five academically-oriented existing projects. We have observed so far a very close collaboration and rapid transfer of expertise between the Thai Wikimedia projects. The anticipated benefits are threefold. See Wikimedia-TH discussion (in Thai).
- Wikivoyage can serve as an entry point of volunteers for a more saturated/academically-oriented projects. Because Wikivoyage is rather simple and personal, it is perhaps easier to start contributing based on individual's experience. When people run out of personal stories and start doing research for more information, they will realize the importance of source referencing and can move on to Wikipedia and/or other projects.
- Unlike a proposal to open Thai Wikiversity which may undesirably draw contributors from the other five projects, I anticipate that Wikivoyage will eventually draw its own contributors. Perhaps, some will come from those who had tried Wikipedia or other projects and decided that it is not for them.
- The Thai Wikivoyage will undoubtedly help increase content upload to/used from Wikimedia Commons. Please note the "no upload policy" below.
- I propose that we start with a standard Wikivoyage site (default settings/copy most of the settings from English Wikivoyage and Thai Wikipedia) but no upload. This will reduce sysop workload and liability to a minimal and will encourage the use of Wikimedia Commons. --Taweethaも (talk) 06:31, 23 March 2013 (UTC)
- The initial Thai logo is produced by Aristitleism (talk · contribs) who had made localized logos for various Thai projects before. --Taweethaも (talk) 02:49, 24 March 2013 (UTC)
- อยากให้ประกาศเปิดตัวแล้วครับ --Parintar (talk) 00:43, 10 December 2015 (UTC)
- Votes will be ignored when judging the proposal. Please provide arguments or reasons and be prepared to defend them
- ก. ไม่ถือคะแนนเป็นสำคัญ (แต่ไม่ได้ห้ามลงคะแนน)
- ข. โปรดให้ข้อคิดเห็นหรือเหตุผลและพร้อมที่ปกป้องมัน (กรณีมีผู้โต้แย้ง)
- ค. เขียนเป็นภาษาไทยก็ได้ (แต่กรรมการผู้มีอำนาจตัดสินใจ Language committee ไม่มีใครอ่านภาษาไทย)
- Support as proposer. --Taweethaも (talk) 06:35, 23 March 2013 (UTC)
- Support --Palmy U-U (talk) 07:10, 23 March 2013 (UTC)
- Support Thai people, who know Thai language, are also travellers. --Octahedron80 (talk) 15:20, 23 March 2013 (UTC)
- Support Over 65 million people in Thai Language. --Sasakubo1717 (talk) 16:58, 24 March 2013 (UTC)
- Support --Nullzero (talk) 11:24, 24 May 2013 (UTC)
- Support --Azoma (talk) 08:26, 28 June 2013 (UTC)
- Support --Wutzwz (talk) 12:35, 8 December 2015 (UTC)
- Support --Pitpisit (talk) 23:11, 8 September 2016 (UTC)
- Oppose The project you have made in Incubator is completely inactive. --Doostdar (talk) 14:34, 27 March 2017 (UTC)