Research:2012 Open Data Consultation
- Dario Taraborelli
The Research Committee launched an open consultation to understand:
- what data we should collect, host and share from our projects (on top of the public datasets that we already publish)
- the technical and computational requirements that would allow programmers to build new applications and researchers to run new research projects building on this data
The consultation ran between December 2011 and January 2012 and collected 100+ responses by Wikipedia researchers and app developers.
Wikimedia Policies, Ethics, and Human Subjects Protection
All data collected with the exception of email addresses will be released under CC0.
Benefits for the Wikimedia community
This is the first large-scale consultation asking developers and researchers how to improve our data infrastructure to support their work. Input from this consultation will be used to inform decisions about our API and Labs infrastructure.
- 5 December 2012: consultation launched
- 5 February 2012: consultation closed
- End of February 2012: results and full dataset published
- Future Journalism Project: a podcast interview with Dario Taraborelli on data and peer production at Wikimedia