Research talk:Technical needs of external re-users of Commons media
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Guide created for UNESCO staff to use images from Commons
Hi @Jmorgan (WMF):, I created a guide for UNESCO staff wanting to reuse images from Commons, I did some user testing as part of it to understand what the issues are and to revise the guide over time, the main issues I found were:
- People knowing Commons existed
- People knowing you could use images from Commons (phrased as 'can I use photos from Wikipedia')
- People finding suitable images in Commons (lots of issues with searching for a topic and being sent to a page rather than a category)
- People knowing how to credit the image correctly.
- The automated tool on Commons to credit an image both for print and online gave a raw URL as part of the credit, this was not acceptable (looked unprofessional and far too long for the space that was available).
- It was not made clear where the credit should be placed, either by the image or could it be placed on another page.
- Find a place for the guide, there is some existing guidance on Commons for reusing images but it is not suitable, its more of a Wikipedia article than a guide. Also when I tried to make it more usable all my changes were reverted.
- Technical issues with making Wikimedia pages look professional (the page still breaks on mobile)
- This is all excellent, actionable guidance. Thank you for sharing these findings, John Cummings! Jmorgan (WMF) (talk) 00:00, 5 June 2018 (UTC)