Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group or PhilWiki Community (PH-WC) is a free, open and vibrant community of Filipino volunteers and editors from all over the world believing in the mission and vision of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
As an affiliate organization, our community envisions to promote and develop Wikipedia in the Philippine languages through cost-effective, creative and innovative projects and through partnership with local government units, government agencies, academe, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector. On 1 June 2015, the Community was formed to served as an organization of unaffiliated Wikipedians in the Philippines. The Affiliate Committee of Wikimedia Foundation provisionally approved the Community on 17 October 2015 for three months.
PH-WC is based in Naga City, Camarines Sur which is located right between Manila-based Wikimedia Philippines and Tacloban-based Sinirangan Bisayas Wikimedia Community. On 4 January 2016, PhilWiki Community earned a seat in the Harong sa Literatura asin mga Tataramon Bikolnon Council (literally, "House of Literature and Bikol Languages") which is composed or different representatives from the public and private sector. The Executive Order was signed by the city mayor of the City Government of Naga and became effective immediately.
Currently, the Community is not a legal entity. It is just an association of Wikipedians and individuals with common aspirations. We intend to register the Community in the future as a non-stock, non-profit organization according to the Philippine law.
The Constitution and By-Laws of the organization was adapted on 1 June 2016.
- To initiate, support, promote, and participate in projects of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
- To create, organize, develop, and engage in activities that promote free, responsibly open-content resources and reference materials in English, and Philippine languages where there are existing communities.
- To collaborate, cooperate, network, and associate with Chapters and User Groups of Wikimedians as well as with institutions, organizations and individuals to promote the free culture movement.
- To conduct edit-a-thons in universities and libraries that will encourage students, teachers and other individuals to the use of the local languages in writing Wikipedia articles on literature, local histories, culture and traditions, and the arts;
- To increase entries of Tagalog Wiktionary and to create editions in Bikol Sentral, Pangasinan, and Cebuano;
- To activate the Bikol Rinconada Wikipedia and Hiligaynon Wikipedia;
- To translate the interface of Wikimedia projects in Bikol Sentral, Tagalog, Pangasinan and Cebuano;
- To contribute images, audios and videos to Wikimedia Commons about the Philippines through photo-scavenger hunts, edit-a-thons, cultural walks, cruises, expeditions and tours.
Ringer at Wikipedia Takes Naga exhibit on November 28, 2015 in Naga City promoting the Wikipedia Takes Rinconada event.
Ringer at the Wikimedia Conference 2016 in Berlin, Germany
Filipinayzd at the Wikimedia Conference 2017 in Berlin, Germany
- November 21, 2015 - Color Splash Run for Free Knowledge: Koloran ta an Kinaban (funded by PhilWiki Community and LGU Canaman) - Report (cancelled)
- November 26 and 28, 2015 - 2015 Waray Wikimedia Forums at Greater Tacloban
- November 28, 2015 - Wikipedia Takes Naga exhibit held at Fish Cove, Abella St., Naga City, Camarines Sur
- December 1, 2015 - 3rd Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon held at Catbalogan, Samar
- December 2, 2015 - 4th Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon held at Catarman, Northern Samar
- December 4, 2015 - Offline Wikipedia DVD Distribution held at Minalabac Central School, Minalabac, Camarines Sur
- January 16, 2016 - Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 2 in Iriga City, Camarines Sur
- February 4-12, 2016 - Wikipedia Takes Rinconada Photo Exhibit in Iriga City, Camarines Sur
- February 11, 2016 - Tinagba Festival Photo Walk in Iriga City, Camarines Sur
- April 22-24, 2016 - Wikimedia Conference 2016 in Berlin, Germany
- June 1, 2016 - Wiki Tutorial held in Naga City, Camarines Sur in celebration of PhilWiki Community's 1st anniversary. The activity was in collaboration with Sumaro Bikolnon which also launch its monthly Open Mic session.
- March 31 to April 2, 2017 - Wikimedia Conference 2017 in Berlin, Germany
- October 27, 2017 - Endorsed the #Wikimedia2030 strategic direction
- November 11-25, 2017 - 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary at Ateneo de Naga University and Central Bicol State University of Agriculture (funded)
Project funded by Wikimedia Foundation:
- 2015-2016 Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thons (withdrawn)
- Editing Wikipedia Brochure - Comics Editing Wikipedia Brochure (proposal)
- Bikol Wikipedia Exhibit and Bikolano Digital Heritage Launching (to be revisited)
- Run for Free Knowledge (not funded)
- Wikipedia Loves Albay (draft)
Contact us through these email addresses:
- Gil L. Gregorio, email@example.com
- Irvin P. Sto. Tomas, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steven A. Fung, email@example.com
- Imelda R. Brazal, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maffeth C. Opiana, email@example.com
Network of institutions and organizations
- Ateneo de Naga University (during the 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day, Open Web Day ADNU and 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary)
- University of Nueva Caceres (during Open Web Day UNC)
- Central Bicol State University of Agriculture (during the 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary)
- City Government of Naga (during the 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day)
- Local Government of Canaman, Camarines Sur (during the Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon)
- City Government of Iriga (during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada)
- Parasurat Bikolnon (during the 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day)
- Sumaro Bikolnon (during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada and 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary)
- Bicol Region Librarians Council (during Open Web Day ADNU and Open Web Day UNC)
- Burikbutikan Artists Collective (during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada)
- Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement (during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada)
- Kaniguan (during the 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary)
Interested in participating
Our group is interested to undertake projects of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
We are keen to involve as many people as possible in the growth of the Philippine Wikimedia Community. If you are interested in taking an active role in the working group, please signify below your intention to join this group:
- Maffeth.opiana (talk) 02:41, 5 July 2015 (UTC)
- Geopoet (talk) 09:09, 6 July 2015 (UTC)
- Filipinayzd (talk) 09:14, 6 July 2015 (UTC)
- Eduardo Canela, PhD. (talk) 09:14, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
- Ringer (talk) 08:55, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
- Steven*fung (talk) 13:35, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
- Sailesh Patnaik (Talk2Me|Contribs) 17:00, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
- Ivyoutiful (talk) 14:36, 9 July 2015 (UTC)
- Nothing7898 (talk) 11:10, 10 July 2015 (UTC)
- Rinconada (talk) 11:45, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- Brazal.dang (talk) 07:01, 1 September 2015 (UTC)
- Katimawan2005 (talk) 15:30, 8 September 2015 (UTC)
- Elmer Nev Valenzuela (talk) 09:34, 22 January 2016 (UTC)
- Magbantay (talk) 10:34, 2 February 2016 (UTC)
- John Paul Collantes | Jp2593 (talk)13:00, 7 March 2016 (UTC)
- ~Manila's PogingJuan 15:27, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
- Korean Rail Fan (talk) 10:34, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- FroyAgta (talk) 5:57, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
- MarvinBikolano (talk) 5:57, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
- Jordz (talk) 08:29, 14 November 2017 (UTC)
- add yourself
- Recognition of Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group (or PhilWiki Community) - October 2015
- Renewal of PhilWiki Community - August 2016