Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group or PhilWiki Community (PH-WC) is a free, open and vibrant community of Filipino volunteers and editors from all over the world believing in the mission and vision of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
As an affiliate organization, our community envisions to promote and develop Wikipedia in the Philippine languages through cost-effective, creative and innovative projects and through partnership with local government units, government agencies, academe, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector. On 1 June 2015, the Community was formed to served as an organization of unaffiliated Wikipedians in the Philippines. The Affiliate Committee of Wikimedia Foundation provisionally approved the Community on 17 October 2015 for three months.
There are eight (8) existing Philippine language-based Wikipedia projects namely Bikol Sentral, Cebuano, Chavacano Zamboangueño, Kapampangan, Ilokano, Pangasinan, Tagalog and Waray. Each of these languages has at least one million native speakers, except for Chavacano Zamboangueño which is threatened to be closed down for lack of editing activity. Among the existing proposed Wikipedia projects, Hiligaynon has over a million native speakers while Capiznon, Kinaray-a, Miraya Bikol and Rinconada Bikol have tens to hundreds of thousands native speakers.
In the last 5 years, there have been contributors who actively promote Wikipedia projects in different parts of the country: Pangasinan Wikipedia in Lingayen, Pangasinan (Ilocos Region), Kapampangan Wikipedia in Angeles City (Central Luzon Region), Tagalog Wikipedia in Manila (National Capital Region), Bikol Sentral Wikipedia in Naga City and Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia in Iriga City (both in Bicol Region) and Waray Wikipedia in Tacloban City (Eastern Visayas Region).
PH-WC is based in Naga City, Camarines Sur which is located right between Manila-based Wikimedia Philippines and Tacloban-based Sinirangan Bisayas Wikimedia Community. On 4 January 2016, PhilWiki Community earned a seat in the Harong sa Literatura asin mga Tataramon Bikolnon Council (literally, "House of Literature and Bikol Languages") which is composed or different representatives from the public and private sector. The Executive Order was signed by the city mayor of the Local Government of Naga and became effective immediately.
Currently, the Community is not a legal entity. It is just an association of Wikipedians and individuals with common aspirations. We intend to register the Community in the future as a non-stock, non-profit organization according to the Philippine law.
The Constitution and By-Laws of the organization is now being drafted.
- To initiate, support, promote, and participate in projects of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
- To create, organize, develop, and engage in activities that promote free, responsibly open-content resources and reference materials in English, and Philippine languages where there are existing communities.
- To collaborate, cooperate, network, and associate with Chapters and User Groups of Wikimedians as well as with institutions, organizations and individuals to promote the free culture movement.
- To conduct edit-a-thons in universities and libraries that will encourage students, teachers and other individuals to the use of the local languages in writing Wikipedia articles on literature, local histories, culture and traditions, and the arts;
- To increase entries of Tagalog Wiktionary and to create editions in Bikol Sentral, Pangasinan, and Cebuano;
- To activate the Bikol Rinconada Wikipedia and Hiligaynon Wikipedia;
- To translate the interface of Wikimedia projects in Bikol Sentral, Tagalog, Pangasinan and Cebuano;
- To contribute images, audios and videos to Wikimedia Commons about the Philippines through photo-scavenger hunts, edit-a-thons, cultural walks, cruises, expeditions and tours.
- The Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilokano and Bikol Community representatives first met at the 2012 Philippine WikiConference during the discussion on Building Regional Wikimedia Communities.
- Bikol Community hosted the Open Web Day at Ateneo de Naga University in June 2012 with Tagalog editors as organizers.
- Tagalog editors conducted Open Web Day at Pangasinan Capitol in November 2012 as hosted by Pangasinan Community.
- Wikipedia Takes Cebu, an initiative of Bikol and Cebuano editors, scheduled on 14 January 2013 in Cebu City was cancelled.
- Bikol and Tagalog editors met up in Mandaluyong City on February 9, 2013.
- Pangasinan, Pampanga, Tagalog and Bikol Community representatives met for the first time at the 2013 Philippine WikiConference in Pasig City.
- Tagalog and Bikol Community collaborated once again for the Open Web Day at University of Nueva Caceres in November 2013.
- Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon was initiated by Bikol Community with technical assistance from Tagalog editors in August 2014.
- WMPH President visited Pangasinan Community at the Malong Building, Pangasinan Capitol in Lingayen, Pangasinan on August 25, 2014. WMPH President also paid a visit to the Bikol Community at Central Bicol State University of Agriculture on December 21-22, 2014.
Philippine Wikimedia communities
Our humble initiatives in promoting Wikimedia projects:
- August 15, 2012 - Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon held in Canaman, Camarines Sur
- Basic editing in Bikol Sentral Wikipedia
- January 6, 2013 - Naga Wiknic held in Naga City
- Meet and greet, wikistorming etc.
- January 12, 2013 - Legazpi Photo Walk held in Legazpi City
- August 5, 2014 - Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon held in Naga City
- Created stubs for stubs for Philippine municipalities in Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia (incubator)
- March 15-27, 2015 - 100 Wiki Days Challenge attempt
- March 19, 2015 - WikiExpedition Albay covering Albay province and Legazpi City
- May 7, 2015 - Naga River Photo Cruise held in Naga City
- May 15-20, 2015 - WikiExpedition Norte covering Ilocos Sur, Ilocos Norte and Baguio City
Project funded by Wikimedia Foundation:
- November 24, 2012 - 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day held in Naga City
Philippine Wikimedia Community
Ringer at Wikipedia Takes Naga exhibit on November 28, 2015 in Naga City promoting the Wikipedia Takes Rinconada event.
Ringer at the Wikimedia Conference 2016 in Berlin, Germany
- November 21, 2015 - Color Splash Run for Free Knowledge: Koloran ta an Kinaban (funded by PhilWiki Community and LGU Canaman) - Report (cancelled)
- November 26 and 28, 2015 - 2015 Waray Wikimedia Forums at Greater Tacloban
- November 28, 2015 - Wikipedia Takes Naga exhibit held at Fish Cove, Abella St., Naga City, Camarines Sur
- December 1, 2015 - 3rd Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon held at Catbalogan, Samar
- December 2, 2015 - 4th Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon held at Catarman, Northern Samar
- December 4, 2015 - Offline Wikipedia DVD Distribution held at Minalabac Central School, Minalabac, Camarines Sur
- January 16, 2016 - Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 2 in Iriga City, Camarines Sur
- February 4-12, 2016 - Wikipedia Takes Rinconada Photo Exhibit in Iriga City, Camarines Sur
- February 11, 2016 - Tinagba Festival Photo Walk in Iriga City, Camarines Sur
- June 1, 2016 - Wiki Tutorial held in Naga City, Camarines Sur in celebration of PhilWiki Community's 1st anniversary. The activity was in collaboration with Sumaro Bikolnon which also launch its monthly Open Mic session.
Project funded by Wikimedia Foundation:
- 2015-2016 Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thons (withdrawn)
- Editing Wikipedia Brochure - Comics Editing Wikipedia Brochure (proposal)
- Bikol Wikipedia Exhibit and Bikolano Digital Heritage Launching (to be revisited)
- Run for Free Knowledge (not funded)
- Wikipedia Loves Albay (draft)
Contact us through these email addresses:
- Gil L. Gregorio, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Irvin P. Sto. Tomas, email@example.com
- Steven A. Fung, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Imelda R. Brazal, email@example.com
- Maffeth C. Opiana, firstname.lastname@example.org
Network of institutions and organizations
- Canaman Municipal Library (during the Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon)
- Ateneo de Naga University (during the 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day and Open Web Day ADNU)
- University of Nueva Caceres (during Open Web Day UNC)
- City Government of Naga (during the 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day)
- Parasurat Bikolnon (during the 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day)
- Bicol Region Librarians Council (during Open Web Day ADNU and Open Web Day UNC)
- Burikbutikan Artists Collective (during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada)
- Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement (during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada)
- Sumaro Bikolnon (during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada)
- City Government of Iriga (during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada)
- Raul S. Roco Library (upcoming: 2015-2016 Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thons)
- Partido State University (upcoming: 2015-2016 Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thons)
- Central Bicol State University of Agriculture (upcoming: 2015-2016 Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thons)
Interested in participating
Our group is interested to undertake projects of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
We are keen to involve as many people as possible in the growth of the Philippine Wikimedia Community. If you are interested in taking an active role in the working group, please signify below your intention to join this group:
- Maffeth.opiana (talk) 02:41, 5 July 2015 (UTC)
- Geopoet (talk) 09:09, 6 July 2015 (UTC)
- Filipinayzd (talk) 09:14, 6 July 2015 (UTC)
- Eduardo Canela, PhD. (talk) 09:14, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
- Ringer (talk) 08:55, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
- Steven*fung (talk) 13:35, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
- Sailesh Patnaik (Talk2Me|Contribs) 17:00, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
- Ivyoutiful (talk) 14:36, 9 July 2015 (UTC)
- Nothing7898 (talk) 11:10, 10 July 2015 (UTC)
- Rinconada (talk) 11:45, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- Brazal.dang (talk) 07:01, 1 September 2015 (UTC)
- Katimawan2005 (talk) 15:30, 8 September 2015 (UTC)
- Elmer Nev Valenzuela (talk) 09:34, 22 January 2016 (UTC)
- Magbantay (talk) 10:34, 2 February 2016 (UTC)
- John Paul Collantes | Jp2593 (talk) 13:00, 7 March 2016 (UTC)
- ~Manila's PogingJuan 15:27, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
- add yourself
- Recognition of Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group (or PhilWiki Community) - October 2015
- Renewal of PhilWiki Community - August 2016