From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.24wmf4) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on May 8. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on May 13, and all Wikipedias on May 15 (calendar).
- A new citation system in VisualEditor was enabled on the English Wikipedia. It will soon be enabled on more wikis. 
- Templates that were previously broken in VisualEditor should now appear correctly. 
Future software changes
- It will soon be possible to move category description pages. Pages in changed categories will still have to be moved independently.  
- You will soon be able to clear your watchlist with one click or through the API.    
- You will soon be able to link to Flow posts and workflows with
Special:Flow.  
- The Vector skin will work faster, as the sidebar will no longer collapse partly after being loaded.   
- MediaViewer will be enabled for all users on Wikimedia Commons on May 15. Feedback is welcome.
- An IRC discussion about Phabricator will take place on May 14 at 18:00 UTC on the channel #wikimedia-office on freenode (time conversion). 
- Toolserver tools will be stopped on June 30. Please make sure to change gadgets that link to the Toolserver to point to Tool Labs instead. 
- There were problems with generating file thumbnails for all wikis between May 3 and May 6 due to a configuration error.  
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.