Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.24wmf4) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on May 8. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on May 13, and all Wikipedias on May 15 (calendar).
- A new citation system in VisualEditor was enabled on the English Wikipedia. It will soon be enabled on more wikis. 
- Templates that were previously broken in VisualEditor should now appear correctly. 
Future software changes
- It will soon be possible to move category description pages. Pages in changed categories will still have to be moved independently.  
- You will soon be able to clear your watchlist with one click or through the API.    
- You will soon be able to link to Flow posts and workflows with
Special:Flow.  
- The Vector skin will work faster, as the sidebar will no longer collapse partly after being loaded.   
- MediaViewer will be enabled for all users on Wikimedia Commons on May 15. Feedback is welcome.
- An IRC discussion about Phabricator will take place on May 14 at 18:00 UTC on the channel #wikimedia-office on freenode (time conversion). 
- Toolserver tools will be stopped on June 30. Please make sure to change gadgets that link to the Toolserver to point to Tool Labs instead. 
- There were problems with generating file thumbnails for all wikis between May 3 and May 6 due to a configuration error.  
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.