Wikimania has been a community endeavour since its inception in 2005. Some frequent Wikimaniacs have taken on responsibility in some capacity year after year to ensure that each event is a success. However, local organising teams often reinvent the wheel, encountering similar issues every year.
To allow the conference to grow more smoothly, it seems sensible to pool the years of knowledge that we have into a body that oversees the Wikimania process from beginning to end in its yearly cycle. A permanent Wikimania committee would oversee the bids, handle jury selection for bid review, and provide continuity of experience and mentoring to each year's organizing team.
Purpose and process
- For details, see Wikimania Committee/Charter.
To ensure that the legacy of knowledge is effectively and efficiently passed on to the organising teams and to ensure a smooth and successful Wikimania.
- Setting Wikimania policy
- Soliciting and reviewing proposals to host
- Conference oversight and review
- Best practice development
- Ellie Young (Secretary, representing WMF)
- Deror Avi (representing WM 2011)
- Orsolya Virág Gyenes (representing WM 2012)
- Jeromy-Yu Chan (representing WM 2013)
- Edward Saperia (representing WM 2014)
- Iván Martínez (representing WM 2015)
- Iolanda Pensa (representing WM 2016)
- Carlos Barcenilla
- Florence Devouard
- Manuel Schneider
- Andrew Lih (core organizing team of Wikiconference North America 2016)
- Phoebe Ayers