Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil
Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil is a group that brings together active members of the Wikimedia Movement in Brazil. It aims at the organization of the Brazilian community as well as the promotion and participation on projects that the Wikimedia Foundation keeps. This user group has an official website. More information on the history of this user group is available on Wikimedia Brasil's wiki.
Who we are
The general idea for the creation of the Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil was launched in the context of Wikimania 2013 and Iberoconf 2013. In these events, an assessment of the role a group of Brazilian volunteers in promoting the community and projects in Brazil was made.
We believe that access to free information is crucial to the development of a society. From this general understanding, to improve information within Wikimedia projects, that are strongly committed to opening knowledge, is the main goal that brings members of this group together. In order to achieve this goal, to contribute to the visibility and strengthening of Wikimedia communities remains of fundamental importance.
The group knows it will not act as a representative of the community of editors, because it knows no group or individual may speak as the representative of an abstract entity, with a large number of heterogeneous people and organizations that are the core of the Wikimedia movement. We are deeply committed to respecting the community sovereignty, and our activities will target the improvement of the projects, never indicating to the community what it should do.
To provide solutions that increase the number and improve the quality of pertaining reliable information in the Wikimedia projects, planning and executing activities that are in accordance to the scope and principles of the Wikimedia movement.
- To promote continuous activities to improve Wikimedia projects in Brazil;
- To contribute to fostering an active and diverse community in Brazil;
- To strongly promote and strictly act in accordance to the principles of the Wikimedia movement.
- To improve the quality of and expand content published in Portuguese language on Wikimedia projects;
- To elaborate informative content in Portuguese about the projects, aiming at clarifying and promoting the collaborative model of knowledge production and organization;
- To promote community capacity development programs in Brazil;
- To stimulate and plan regular online and offline activities (lectures, community meetings, hackathons, edit-a-thons etc.) geared to the Brazilian community;
- To support and spark the Brazilian Wikipedia Education Program;
- To promote GLAM initiatives and other cultural activities in Brazil;
- To diversify and strengthen institutional partnerships in Brazil;
- To sustain a regular communication and productive exchange with the WMF, Iberocoop and other groups and chapters from around the world;
- To sustain a continuous practice of reporting activities to the Wikimedia movement;
- To sustain a continuous set of activities of on-wiki and off-wiki communication.
Types of initiatives the user group engages with are at least fourfold: education, communication, outreach and community capacity development. As a rule of thumb, the user group expects to report at least ten initiatives a year.
Educational initiatives will focus on supporting and sparking Wikipedia education projects in Brazilian schools and universities.
Communication initiatives will focus on systematically reporting and sharing our activities. We also expect to become a reference for media inquiries and to produce regular press releases on Wikimedia projects.
Outreach initiatives will focus on giving visibility to the Wikimedia projects via events, providing resources to interested individuals and organizations and establishing and sustaining partnerships.
Community capacity development will focus on providing useful resources to improve the community. A fundamental goal in developing capacity is to promote a friendly and diverse community, especially contributing to establishing an harassment-free environment.
Yearly expected results of the user group are described below. This set of expected results is updated yearly, after a balance of projects and activities of the user group, and at this point reflects a strategic compass point for 2016 and eventually subsequent years (if no update is made).
- Expected results in education:
- at least two educational programs per year; and
- at least two projects per year associated to giving visibility to the educational use of the Wikimedia projects (either as a dissemination or research activity) or connecting to global campaigns on educational uses of the Wikimedia projects.
- Expected results in communication:
- at least 30 media products per year, published on the group website, community on-wiki lists or newsletters or social media;
- at least 4 media products per year in communication outlets sustained by partners of the user group; and
- at least 2 releases per year distributed to a growing mailing list of journalists.
- Expected results in outreach:
- at least three edit-a-thons organized or supported per year;
- at least one GLAM initiative attempted, initiated or sustained per year (please report failed attempts); and
- at least one dissemination event presentation or support per year.
- Expected results in community capacity development:
- at least one training produced or resource produced per year.
This set of activities is expected to be organized throughout the academic year. The decision to focus on the academic year is justified because of the obvious connection between user-group activities and projects and educational institutions.
Whenever this is possible, a specific plan for initiatives should be made. Plans may be shared among user-group members only or publicly; results should necessarily be reported in the respective year report.
Reports of activities
The year report of activities is a summary of online and offline initiatives. It brings up a short description and qualitative or quantitative outputs for these initiatives. It may connect to links where detailed plans or reports are provided. Whenever this is possible, initiatives will be connected to media production --either from the user group or from external outlets--, that may serve as a reference.
The UG Wikimedia in Brazil is proud to have established ongoing partnerships with relevant institutions, that share the group's mission of fostering the Wikimedia community and contributing to opening knowledge and culture.
Current partners include:
- Research, Innovation and Dissemination Center for Neuromathematics (NeuroMat), an institute funded by the São Paulo Research Foundation and located at the University of São Paulo;
- ARede Educa, a web portal that specializes in the use of technology in education;
- Open Knowledge (Brazil), an organization that promotes sharing information and knowledge transparency.
These are general official partnerships, as indicated in the formal letters below. Specific activities, associated to outreach and education initiatives, have rested upon specific partnerships, that are mentioned on reports of activities.
- Official website (preferred reference)
- email@example.com (mailing list)
- Slack channel
- Newsletter with group's activities - updated roughly every month.
- Contact person
Users interested in creating the group
The list below is more of historical than of practical interest. It mostly brings the original endorsements to the idea of a user-group creation in 2013; some of the users have disengaged with the movement. An updated list of active members is available on the user-group Commons page.
- Jonas (discussão) 18h58min de 14 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Vinicius Siqueira 19h16min de 14 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Teles «Talk to me˱M @ C S˲» 20h27min de 14 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Sturm (discussão) 01h27min de 15 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Eduardofeld (discussão) 03h30min de 15 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Raylton P. Sousa (discussão) 00h31min de 16 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Lechatjaune (discussão) 22h45min de 17 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Titoncio (discussão) 23h41min de 17 de outubro de 2013 (UTC) Espero poder ajudar
- Everton137 (discussão) 04h09min de 18 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- JMGM (discussão) 01h36min de 20 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- MetalBrasil (discussão) 14h36min de 20 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Danilo.mac (discussão) 17h23min de 21 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- The Photographer (discussão) 17h22min de 23 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Ozymandias (discussão) 17h35min de 23 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Vitor Mazuco Msg 15:01, 22 January 2014 (UTC)
- CasteloBrancomsg 19:22, 9 May 2014 (UTC)
- Victor Lopes (talk) 21:59, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
- Chico Venancio (talk) 21:21, 29 April 2016 (UTC)
- Ixocactus (talk) 01:22, 30 April 2016 (UTC)
- Joalpe (talk) 18:25, 8 May 2016 (UTC)
- Horadrim~usurped (talk) 02:14, 20 September 2016 (UTC)
- Jo Lorib (talk) 20:37, 28 September 2016 (UTC)
- Giro720 (talk) 00:16, 29 September 2016 (UTC)
- Eamaral (talk) 03:29, 10 October 2016 (UTC)
- Mariliacarrera (talk) 18:34, 17 October 2016 (UTC)
- Ederporto (talk) 19:39, 11 January 2017 (UTC)
- Tetizeraz (talk) 15:00, 3 July 2017 (UTC)
- Lucas.Belo (talk) 17:33, 8 August 2017 (UTC)
- Recognition of Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil – December 2013
- Renewal of Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil - February 2015
- Renewal Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil - July 2016