This phase of the consultation is closed. For information about the outcome, please watch the consultation main page, where a pointer to the next step in this process will be posted on or around February 26. While you are welcome to continue to use the discussion pages of this phase, please know that future submissions to this phase may not be reviewed by staff. We look forward to talking to you more about the themes that have emerged in the near future!
|2016 Strategy process|
|Annual Plan pages|
2016-17 Mid-year check-in (February 2017)
Final 2016 Annual Plan (21 June)
Revised 2016 Annual Plan (27 May)
FDC recommendations for the WMF (15 May)
Draft 2016 Annual Plan
(Review discussion) (2 April - 2 May)
|Stage 2 (4-18 March) pages|
Draft WMF strategy
|Stage 1 (18 Jan.-15 Feb.) pages|
2016 Strategy process FAQ
2015 Strategy community consultation
|Please observe the Friendly Space Expectations when sharing your thoughts or discussing those of others.|
One of the broad topic areas on which the Wikimedia Foundation will focus in our upcoming annual plan is reach: our ability to distribute knowledge to the largest number of people possible. We believe this is the area where the Wikimedia Foundation can make the greatest impact.
When ready to answer questions, please click the button on the bottom of the page.
A critical question concerning reach
While Wikimedia content has been increasingly reused by others, traffic to Wikimedia projects has been decreasing since 2013. This is a severe challenge, because fewer people will explore related content, have the chance to become contributors, or donate. Declining reach is a significant risk to the movement’s relevance, sustainability and the way we operate, and thus to our shared vision of reaching every human being.
What do you think is the best way to encourage traffic to come to our projects while also supporting free, external content reuse?
Potential strategic approaches to improve reach
- Below are several approaches the Wikimedia Foundation might take towards reach. Please read through these six options and let us know by approach "number" up to two or three of the six approaches you would most support. We also invite you to share your idea.
- Increase frequency of use and number of users by adapting user experience to their needs (this may result in additional content formats, making more of Wikimedia content easier to find, increasing language coverage, etc.).
- Improve our understanding of how and why our users come to and stay on our projects so we can better serve their needs.
- Understand how Wikimedia content is reused on external platforms and explore how to encourage users of such content to go to Wikimedia projects.
- Increase awareness and use of Wikimedia projects in two Global South countries.
- Enable others to reuse our content and build their own products by improving and documenting our APIs (application programming interfaces).
- Improve Wikipedia mobile apps to increase use.
Suggest an approach
- Do you have another idea we should prioritize to help us improve reach? Let us know!
|Thank you for contributing your thoughts to this consultation!|