Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/2019 Community Conversations/Strategy Salons/Reports/Maithi Wikimedians UG
Date and location
- Date: 2019 September 7
- Venue: Rajbiraj-Rupani Road, Main Street, Rajbiraj
- Pankaj Deo
- Nilam Karn
- Biplab Anand
- Abhijeet Perwial
- Akash Mahato
- Bishal Sah
- Aman Kumar Deo
- Sanjay Kumar Yadav
- Chandan Kumar Gupta
- Sanjay Yadav
- Seema Shrestha
- Barsha Khadka
- Pinki Chaudhary
- Nisha Chaudhary
- Manish Kumar Das
- Kiran Kumar Sah
- Abhishek Yadav
We have notified the community a week ago to participate in this event . We arranged the event at a convenient location, which can be accessed easily. We begin the Wikimedia Strategy Salon from 11 am by introducing Wikipedia, Wikimedia projects and Wikimedia 2030 Strategic Direction. There were some new faces at the event so we started the event smoothly.
Summary of the discussion points
We have chosen the topic ‘’Advocacy’’ to discuss with our community members.
Q. We are a content focused movement, why should we spend our time and energy on advocacy efforts?
- It matters for our movement to build a policy for the community as well as for the individual members that can impact a positive change.
- It is important for making the decision process more inclusive.
- It will help to build skills and confidence of the community members that in turn helpful for them in decision-making and addressing community norms.
- It is crucial for making sure that policies designed to benefit the community
Q. How can we ensure that the movement's advocacy efforts are not harming the neutrality of the content of Wikimedia projects?
- The active Wikipedia community members plays an essential role to check and balance the content of Wikimedia Projects.
- We have already framework of user rights groups (ie, Steward, Global Sysop, local administrator etc) which help us to maintain the neutrality of the contents.
Q. How do we engage the community at large in advocacy?
- Awareness regarding Advocacy through social media promotion and in person meetup
- We should discuss it on community platform and in outreach activities.
Reflections from participants or partners
Photographs or videos
Statement on your budget