Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/Working Groups/Roles & Responsibilities/Minutes

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

5 April 2019[edit]

Discussion summary:

In-person meeting

Roles and Responsibilities sent a request to the Core Team for an in-person meeting in July, which is still in discussion but will require solid dates and all names of participants. The potential host is Wikimedia Netherlands.

Request for expert input

  • Roles and responsibilities liaison for Community Health is communicating about a joint widened conflict resolution research for both Community Health and Roles and Responsibilities Working Groups.
    • Claudia has also done outreach to a colleague.
    • Whose Knowledge has specific roles to the Working Groups, incase of additional Working Group needs, these can be documented and forwarded to the Core Team for consideration.
  • Other research sources to be reviewed need to focus on decision making, resource allocation or topics in line with Roles and Responsibilities.

Review milestones for next steps

The resource request milestones on the Roles and Responsibilities timeline was completed.

Creative Commons Summit

The Core Team published Information about a criteria/process for Working Group event participation, including the Creative Commons summit May 9-11 in Lisbon. Some Working Group members may already be attending.

  • Creative Commons has recently gone through a re-strategizing process of their affiliate system with big changes and experiences, which the Movement Strategy Process might benefit from, some of the Roles and responsibilities Working Group members were involved in the development of the Creative Commons strategy.
  • Creative Commons is aware about the Movement Strategy activities and are willing to engage.

Making community conversation questions clearer

The Core Team is looking at significant updates on the structure of pages on Meta including designing a process for discussion and responding to the question, not fine-tuning them (questions), this will be done when old material has been archived, questions will be translatable.

  • The community Survey will go out mid-end of April.

21 March 2019[edit]

Discussion summary

Liaisons with other Working Groups

Members from Roles and Responsibilities selected Working Groups that they will liaise with to determine immediate next steps, and key questions to engage. Overlaps, and group opinions on findings will be discussed on Friday at the Wikimedia Summit in Berlin.

Working Group liaison person/people
Partnerships Nataliia
Revenue streams Anna T
Capacity building Georgina
Community health Butch
Product & Technology Anne
Diversity Lukas
Advocacy
Resource allocation

Scoping community questions will be sent to the communities in a survey, if Scoping discussions from organised groups like ESEAP, happen, they can be documented, or conversations forwarded and shared with Kelsi, the community Liaisons Coordinator.

Wikimedia Summit schedule and Wikimania

Scoping documents, in English and the some other languages will be shared with all Wikimedia Summit participants in handouts and posters. All other logistical needs should be sent to the Wikimedia Summit organising team before Tuesday, external expertise for the Working Groups will be determined during and after the summit.

The design for Wikimania will depend on the outcomes and progress of the Working Groups. The Plan currently is to have the first draft of the recommendations at Wikimania to be discussed with the participants and community. Not planned to have all WG members there, but representatives from each group.

Next meeting

The next meeting would be 3rd April 3.30 CET to discuss activities post Wikimedia Summit but this date might not work for Orla for facilitation support, so a new time will have to be agreed upon.

13 March 2019[edit]

The discussion was about call-planning process, Wikimedia summit and further reading, Scoping Feedback, Moving forward and Survey update

Call-planning process: Roles and responsibilities Working Group coordinators met with the virtual facilitator to discuss expectations; Post and pre planning meetings will be scheduled before some of the facilitated calls

  • Claudia offered availability, and nominated Anna to be part of these planning meetings.
  • Any other Working Group coordinators or members can join to set expectations and provide briefing to the facilitator for upcoming meetings.
  • Orla suggested 1630 cet (1530 UTC) on Tuesdays, the group will be informed once the planning meeting is scheduled.
  • A majority of the members preferred using Blue Jeans, and Orla will consider Zoom when there’s need.

Further reading: The Wikimedia Community engagement team has shared materials that they felt were relevant for the Roles and Responsibilities Working Group discussions

  • A suggestion was made to have a reading and compiling team for a list of required reference materials that can be summarised for the group to read together.
  • Margheigh and Georgina will be in charge of creating the reading list
  • Lukas and Bodhisattwa, will help compiling the resources/summarizing list.

The Wikimedia Summit: Besides the Summit draft schedule on meta, there will be preparation calls scheduled by the Core Team for Working Group members who will be attending.

  • The Core Team will share Scoping documents for other Working Groups to discuss overlaps, areas of working together, sharing ideas with the diversity of participants, determine the need for external expertise, research, and prepare for the analysis phase and recommendations.
  • Key accomplishments from the summit will include reality checks with affiliates and organised groups, or possibilities of bringing in new members, there will be additional information on objectives and expectations that will be shared by the Core Team and Summit organising team.
  • The Working Group will share occasional updates on e-mail and telegram for Erina to catch up on what’s happening at the Summit, Claudia and Chris volunteered to take lead, other Working group members can join in to send these updates.
  • The Core Team will ask the groups to ensure they have a mandate to make decisions right at the summit, for example on bringing new members in, or how to synch the cross group work and questions.

Scoping Feedback and Moving forward: The current break (after scoping submission) is aimed at re-energising the groups after the hard work, and short deadlines during the scoping phase. Wikimedia Foundation legal team will be provide legal advice on scoping.

  • The Core Team acknowledged the short deadline for scoping feedback which was not ideal and a challenge to most of the members, but was also meant to be a preparation step for community conversations.
  • Chris took lead to have other members provide feedback in time, but other voices could take lead next time.
  • The Working Group (everyone) needs to think and give thoughts about answering the scoping questions, brainstorming alternatives, and making the whole process work together. This will be an agenda for the next facilitated call.

Survey update: There were technical problems which got fixed, Anne will save survey results on the drive. If there any particular topics that Working Group members would like to have a focus, please let Anne know, as part of the topics from the survey will be shared with other Working Groups at the Wikimedia Summit.

6 March 2019[edit]

The discussion centered on expectations from facilitation, Scoping feedback, Wikimania plans and Researching alternative models

Expectations for facilitation: Orla was introduced as a new facilitator for the group: she provided an overview of her roles to the group and requested the Working Group members to share their expectations from facilitation. Coordinators are scheduling to meet with Orla to plan future meetings.

Scoping document feedback: The Core Team first feedback was provided during the call by Kaarel. The working group can work on revisions based on this feedback, and can consider similar peer to peer reviews that might happen during the Wikimedia Summit after community feedback on the scoping questions.

  • The Core Team will provide feedback in writing for proper revision and evaluation.

Wikimania Plans: Wikimania 2019 in Stockholm opened a call for movement leaders to organize different Spaces at the event. The call was shared by the Core Team to make the Working Groups aware and determine if they can contribute to the program.

  • Lukas is already creating a proposal around a sustainability for Wikipedia/Wikimedia, related to the SDG theme of the conference. The Core Team and other Working Group members can share ideas about this proposal.
  • The Movement Strategy Core Team will work with the Wikimania Organising Team about applying for a space at the conference for Working Groups to present the draft recommendations, gather information to inform the process, and make contact with the stakeholders or agents of stakeholders.

Researching alternative models: One of the principle design approaches for the alternative research models can be a spectrum with different options, that can be gauged for levels of change from incremental difference from what we have now to more radical change

  • An idea was proposed to have an assessment for the Movement with other sample Organisations like the Red Cross, United Nations, Green peace, IOC, and others.
  • Margeigh will put together a 2-3 slide example to describe this approach and Working Group members can work asynchronously to determine different models.

27 February 2019[edit]

The discussion focused on these topics: New Virtual Facilitator, Scoping document, Interviews synthesis, Survey update, Re-branding situation and Activities meeting

New Virtual Facilitator: The Core Team is discussing with ICA_UK about a new facilitator for the Roles and Responsibilities Working Group.

Scoping document: Most of the work on the scoping document was completed, minor edits like appendixes, defining equity, knowledge equity, and preparing a final document to be done before sending to the Core Team by Monday 4 March.

Interviews synthesis: A summary of the synthesised themes/main topics of the interviews will be published on meta, comments will be open for posting on the talk page.

Survey update: There were more responses to the survey after the Berlin in-person meeting, the survey will be sent out to more channels before it closes on 4 March, removing duplicate responses and other formatting will be done before the final results are shared.

Re-branding situation: The Core Team had made the Wikimedia Communications and re-branding team aware about the work and discussions of the Working Groups, including Roles and Responsibilities, they will be invited to one of the future meetings to talk about the re-branding message.

Activities meeting: Erina was requested by the Core Team to represent the Roles and Responsibilities Working Group on the progress with the interviews, survey, and scoping in Berlin, at the Wikimedia monthly activities meeting. It was late to inform the Working Group on the mailing list, so communication was made with Erina directly.

20 February 2019[edit]

The meeting focused on Working Group meeting coordination and Scoping questions for community conversations

Working Group meetings: Most of the Working Group members can attend the calls, but there’s need to have alternating times for everyone to attend the meeting at least every two weeks. Before the Summit, weekly calls will be held, which will change to bi-weekly after the Wikimedia Summit.

  • The Core Team will set up a doodle and ask Working Group members for their preferred option for the platform, and ask for agreement if the calls (or at least the summaries) can be recorded for people who have not been in the call to catch up quickly.

Telegram Chat Coordination: A telegram channel is considered helpful in coordination of immediate concerns, and spontaneous actions and has been created during the call.

  • The mailing list will remain the primary channel for communication
  • The Telegram group can be joined via a link that was shared

Scoping questions for community conversations: The scoping questions were created during the in-person meeting, and they need to be put together in the scoping document to confirm the wording as part of a final review from the Working Group members.

  • The process for sharing all of the 3 questions from the 9 Working groups (27 questions in total) will involve community conversations (which are being designed) that will be shared via different platforms like Meta, Strategy Liaisons will take the questions to their respective communities using the 9 language community channels, surveys, and volunteers. (The answers will come back to the Working Groups).
  • There were some questions meant to be answered by other Working Groups like Community Health, while others are to be answered during the community conversation.
  • Members will provide comments on which external expertise can be brought in during the scoping, and have a discussion in the next call to make progress on this.
  • An outline of guiding questions for scoping was provided by the Core Team.
  • Anna Torres shared that IberoConf participants created a letter, available in English, with questions regarding the affiliates model and WMF relations, and would like to discuss it in the Roles and Responsibilities Working Group in one of the next meetings.
    • The letter will be sent to the Roles and Responsibilities Working Group mailing list.
  • It would be helpful to see the questions from the other groups to determine if the terminology is the same before they are published, but at the same time to avoid disruption.

6 February 2019[edit]

Meeting largely focused on preparations for in-person meeting in Berlin

  • Inventory Survey - in progress, emails are now being sent.
  • Interviews/Synthesis - some interviews still happening, but largely complete. Agreed to wait for synthesis process for face-to-face meeting. Transcriptions should start to be available by end of this week.

30 January 2019[edit]

  • Interviews c.20 interviews conducted, with several more scheduled. Discussion of transcription methods and hoped to resolve this promptly. MN has begun work on a workspace for synthesis of interviews, will aim to set this up before next meeting.
  • Inventory Survey In hand and should be sent in next week or so.
  • In person meeting Discussed logistics and agenda for in-person meeting, including facilitation and link with other Working Groups and WMF Legal. A draft programme had been produced by AL (probably facilitator) and received comments from WG members.
  • Core Team support Discussion of core team support available for Working Groups.

23 January 2019[edit]

  • Interviews 13 interviews conducted with c~9 more scheduled or agreed in principle. These should largely be complete by c.30 Jan but some will continue in the subsequent week. Some progress on transcription of interviews but unclear that transcripts would be available from 30 Jan. Discussed process for synthesis of interviews. Agreed to kick this off in advance of the in-person meeting - MN will aim to set up process which WG members can feed into asynchronously. Synthesis to then be further developed at in-person meeting and subsequently published on Meta (after in-person meeting)
  • In person meeting Discussion of structuring in-person meeting with Anne Lukens (facilitator). Unclear who would be actually present to facilitate the meeting but developed thoughts around priorities for the meeting. Key priorities include team-building among the WG, developing synthesis document and clarifying vision of future steps.

16 January 2019[edit]

  • Interviews So far we have conducted 8 interviews with stakeholders to form a 'map' of governance/structural issues in the movement. Interviews are being conducted with members of the WG and others with relevant and diverse perspectives. 6 people (5 WG members plus one from Core Team) are now able to conduct/help with these interviews. 9 more interviews are agreed (either scheduled or awaiting dates). We discussed who else to approach to ensure a broad range of views. Discussion of options for transcription. Interviews should mainly conclude by 30 Jan to enable synthesis to start.
  • Survey Questions for the inventory survey are finalised, but need to confirm some technical issues (e.g. data protection policy)
  • Working with other groups As discussed last week, we emailed other Working Groups with a summary of our approach and request for input on where they feel existing movement structures are either effective or ineffective in supporting the groups' work.
  • Face to Face meeting in Berlin Discussion of facilitation options for the meeting as requested by Core Team. We felt that external facilitation would be valuable so long as we could brief the facilitators about the process we have followed to date and work with them to define an approach to the meeting. One agenda item for the meeting will be to discuss and explore the process proposed by Margeigh based on "Farsighted" to ensure a common understanding and buy-in.

9 January 2019[edit]

  • Interviews - 4 conducted so far, several more scheduled. Agreed to conduct as many as possible before end Jan with focus on capturing a wide range of viewpoints. Discussed logistics to make these happen & options for transcription.
  • Survey - planning to send survey to gather an inventory of movement organisations in next 2 weeks.
  • Working with other groups - reviewed draft note inviting input from other WGs and describing work plan, agreed to send.

2 January 2019[edit]

  • Evidence gathering: MN and CK had conducted a test interview, in process of arranging another. Agreed interview pairs for some of those in the call. All to confirm their availability for interviews (c.50% of working group had indicated availability). Core Team have undertaken to transcribe interviews. All to review the survey framework that MC and AC had created.
  • Definitions - mentioned some lack of clarity around key terms, e.g. "equity" - MN to link up with other groups looking at codifying definitions so there is coherency across the strategy process.
  • Working with other groups - proposed to contact other WGs to encourage them to consider structural issues when they arise in their work (not wait for us), and to invite input. CK to draft note, to be followed up with personal conversations
  • Agenda for F2F meeting - a template document was circulated, all to consider options for how to structure the discussion.

19 December 2018[edit]

  • Logistics -Chris and Butch to attend Wikimedia Summit as WG reps.
  • Evidence Gathering - Margeigh arranging test interview. All to confirm availability for interviews. Action points re following up transcription/translation options.
  • Process going forward: Reviewed documents from the Core Team. Scoping to conclude by Feb 2019, then begin analysis/brainstorming of options.

12 December 2018[edit]

  • Logistics. Date for in-person meeting now confirmed - WG members to provide travel details to WMF. Need to select Wikimedia Summit participants urgently - Margeigh to circulate a poll for voting on the 3 people willing/able to attend who are not already participating in other capacities. Future meetings: Agreed to hold calls on 19 Dec and 2 Jan as scheduled meeting for 26 Dec would not be feasible.
  • Evidence Gathering - Margeigh has developed an interview script with feedback from Chris (see 28 Nov minutes for further details of the goals of this). We will hold one or two test interviews to validate the script, then roll out interviews between WG members in the next few weeks. The script, and a summary of the issues raised, will be posted on Meta and this may be an appropriate point to ask for broader community input.
  • Process going forward Margeigh recommended a process based on that outlined in "Farsighted" by Steven Johnson. WG members to review Margeigh's presentation of this and read up on [1] [2] about this process.

28 November 2018[edit]

  • Logistics. Core team have closed the scheduling poll regarding the in-person meeting but no final decision has been made. Still no decision on who will attend Wikimedia Summit, all WG members to confirm their availability (or if they are going wearing a different hat)
  • Scoping / Evidence Gathering. Almost all members have completed the question-prioritisation exercise. The highest-priority questions to answer are:
    • What is problematic about the current structures, and for whom are they problematic?
    • What challenges is the movement facing within current structures that has led to reconsideration of the current state?
    • How can the WMF's governance structures be improved?
Next steps will focus on creating a shared understanding of these questions.
  • Margeigh circulated a plan for conducting depth interviews within the Working Group to get frank, in-depth input from the group to develop a map of the issues to be addressed, which could later be supplemented from other sources. This was agreed. Margeigh to draft interview guide for discussion at the next meeting, with the intention that the depth interviews happen during December.
  • Anne circulated a proposal to survey existing movement entities to get more details about the nature of their work and governance. There is presently no one place this is all documented and in some cases there is no documentation at all. All to review the proposal before the next meeting.

20 November 2018[edit]

Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy Process - slide deck for the framing call from Katherine Maher to the Roles and Responsibilities Working Group on the 20th of November 2018

Additional call with Katherine Maher (WMF ED). Katherine gave a presentation with her perspective on the role of the working group, particularly highlighting the need to look at the project through the frames of: intentional vs. organic development; institutional vs. community needs; independence vs. interdependence; node vs. network. Katherine also proposed couple of framing questions: "Do we need a Wikimedia Foundation?", "What is the next big change in affiliate model?" and "Maybe we want to have a governance body for the whole movement?". The framing presentation was followed by a discussion, where Working Group members shared their thoughts with and asked questions from Katherine.

14 November 2018[edit]

  • Logistics. Now proposed to hold the in-person meeting alongside Resource Allocation and Revenue Streams to ensure joined-up working between these groups. Meeting still to be held in Berlin in Jan/Feb. WG members to fill in scheduling poll. Decision needed on who will attend Wikimedia Summit - but this can wait until the in-person meeting date is confirmed (the in-person meeting should take priority over the Summit where possible).
  • Scoping.
    • Anne and Anna have taken input from the scoping document and refined it into a spreadsheet with a number of questions for prioritisation. All WG members to review and mark their priorities for us to review prior to next call
    • Some questions have already received many 'top priority' marks and can be progressed before the next call. Chris and Margeigh to look into ways of gathering broad input into perceptions of strengths and weaknesses of existing movement governance/affiliation model. Anne to build out documentation of the existing WMF governance structure.
  • Participation Noted there was a high level of participation overall with almost all WG members giving input into calls and/or documents. Referred to Core Team to confirm onboarding arrangements for new members and address expectations about any longstanding members who have not yet contributed.

31 October 2018[edit]

(previous meetings have focused on onboarding and diversification of the group)

  • Diversification: A total of 5 people have joined the Working group, including people from Africa, South Asia and East Asia.
  • Logistics: Agreed to hold an in-person meeting over one weekend in January, in Berlin (easy access to hosting/facilitation, inside Schengen zone so reasonably convenient for visas for people also attending e.g. Wikimedia Summit). We also reviewed timings for regular calls, which will need to be updated to accommodate a WG member in Singapore.
  • Scoping: We have created a timeline for orientation/scoping purposes to help answer 'How did we get to the current roles and responsibilities?'. The group has also been working on a scoping brainstorm document for all members to list their questions that might need to be included in our scope. We also have a matrix of existing roles and responsibilities to help us understand the status quo, and identify areas where responsibilities are presently unclear. Action All WG members to add their input to the scoping document and look at/add to/challenge the matrix, by Tuesday 6 Nov. Anne and Anna will then work to consolidate before the next meeting.