Talk:CIS-A2K/Events/Wiki Advanced Training/2018

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page is for discussions related to the CIS-A2K/Events/Wiki Advanced Training/2018 page.

  Please remember to:


Wikimedia Community Logo.svg

Attending without scholarship[edit]

Right now the page is set up to assume that CIS is paying for people to attend. Is it possible for someone local to attend without sponsorship from CIS?

I was wondering whether I could suggest the event to people who have some Wikimedia experience, and who are local, but who have fewer than 2000 edits. Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:21, 1 June 2018 (UTC)

  • Hello User:Bluerasberry, thanks for your comments suggestion. Travel and accommodation of the participants will be taken care of. No other remuneration is included. The application process is open from today. By "someone local", do you mean Wikimedians from the same city (Ranchi)/state (Jahrkhand), please clarify. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 21:49, 1 June 2018 (UTC)
I was thinking to share with people in Bihar and UP who might attend without remuneration. How limited is the space for people who are not seeking funding? Blue Rasberry (talk) 23:21, 1 June 2018 (UTC)
  • User:Bluerasberry, Yes, that's an interesting point. Thanks for clarifying. "How limited is the space for people who are not seeking funding?" -- we have not thought about it. They (editors from the neighborhood cities in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand, except Ranchi itself) would need accommodation support, but that's fine. There is nothing like partial support in this program. After reading your post, I am thinking perhaps we may introduce it after discussing with the communities in future to bring more such local editors(??)
    Another option we already have is, in my opinion, focusing more on regional/zonal workshops, such as Mini TTT and MWT Kolkata 2017. Here most of the participants don't need(actually they don't ask for) travel or accommodation support. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 10:40, 3 June 2018 (UTC)

Indians outside India[edit]

Hello. Is it possible for Indians residing outside India to attend? I have Indian citizenship (OCI), but I am currently residing in neighbouring Sri Lanka, and would require a short flight if I am to attend. Regards, Rehman 06:45, 4 June 2018 (UTC)

  • Thanks for the application. Let the application and selection process be completed first. We'll keep you informed. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 16:10, 5 June 2018 (UTC)

Advice to Organizers[edit]

  • The name of this event should be changed from Wiki to Wikipedia, Because in this event Scholarships given to only those volunteers who working on Wikipedia.
  • From the meta Page of this event, Please remove Wikimedia word, Because this Training is only for wikipedians.
  • There were also questions about the Wikimedia projects on the form. These questions should be asked about Wikipedia alone,Because in this event Scholarships given to only those volunteers who working on Wikipedia.
  • This Training is about Wikipedia only, It does not clear anywhere on the meta page. Wikimedia is written everywhere except a single line meta page.
  • It is a matter of great sadness that in this event focusing on Wikipedia only. Other projects of the wiki are being pushed onto the margin. -Stalinjeet Brar (talk) 17:05, 15 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Hello Stalinjeet Brar, thank you for your comments. I'll try to answer your questions. Wiki Advanced Training is the event, where for this iteration (June 2018) the theme is Wikipedia content improvement. This is mentioned in the theme part, and the agenda items are planned/prepared accordingly (please note: the specific list will be published closer to the event.) In the requirement also, edits on Wikipedia was mentioned.
    Many apologies if it remained unclear. About other projects I want to assure that CIS-A2K is deeply committed to support all Wikimedia projects and serve the editors (Wikisource, Wiktionary, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata etc.) I think you can recall our last meetings where we brainstormed about Wiksource and Copyright workshop. Our current collaboration with Punjabi Wikimedians is also on Wikisource.
    I am sad to see the confusion, however I apologise for the confusion, and once again I assure you that CIS-A2K is and will continue serving all Wikimedia projects in India, and I am confident that the next training will focus on some other area and topic. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 20:54, 15 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Hi Tito Dutta, First of all let me make you clear i have no Doubt about CIS-A2K. Here I also want to tell, Only because of TTT 2016, I am able to emerge as a leader in Punjabi Wikimidians (UG). My doubts were about this program alone and you cleared about these. Thanks.
    Please take care of such things in the future.-- Stalinjeet Brar (talk) 14:15, 16 June 2018 (UTC)

Hands-On sessions[edit]

Many thanks for posting the detailed Agenda. It helps to come with questionnaires to get clarified. Because the agenda is quite vast, Will it more theory? What part of this training program would be for Hands-on Sessions.

Reason I ask is, Whenever we would meet at Bangalore, we'd have more Hands-on Sessions that would help us not only learn, but would get resource-persons helping in also fixing some practical burning issues, which community members need. That way, we have better grasp.

Would it be the same here. Thanks in advance. -WIth Metta, Mallikarjuna. 04:27, 24 June 2018 (UTC) ̃~ ~

Excellent Interactions[edit]

This is my first Event. It's refreshing to see time provided for discussions & hands-on. Very very vibrant discussions with multiple Point-Of-Views being accommodated. It's exciting to be part of this event, not to mention the state-of-the-art facilities being provided for all participants.

-WIth Metta, Mallikarjuna. 00:31, 1 July 2018 (UTC)

~~
  • Many thanks for sharing the feedback. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 18:30, 6 July 2018 (UTC)

Feedback[edit]

Hello Wiki Advanced Training 2018 participant, please share your feedback about this year's Wiki Advanced Training. This year we are trying on-Wiki feedback, instead of a survey form such as Google form. Please create a level 3 section below with === YourUsername === and write your feedback. Your post is expected to have these points:

  1. What went well at the event?
  2. What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?
  3. What did you learn in the workshop?
  4. What learning did you share with others?
  5. Your planned future activities?

Please do not use anyone's real name here and use usernames only. Please feel free to share feedback in Indian language such as Hindi, Telugu, Kannada, Punjabi. Please do not share any personal information. If you need to share something confidential, send it to tito(_AT_)cis-india.org. Sign your post with ~~~~

Jayprakash12345[edit]

1. What went well at the event?

There are many things which were going well during the event.
  • In Technical Part:- I think installing Citroid on Indic Wikipedias was going very well. I helped the various community member to install Citroid on their wiki. Also, I and Nehal Dave fixed Special pages name via phabricator.
  • In Wiki-Context Part:- In my point of view, the Reference Discussion was going very well at the event. Because First of We found some sources on various topics and discuss that sources with other community members on the reliability. And I got some mind-blowing thoughts from experienced persons.
  • In Social Part:- I met with different community members. We exchanged our knowledge, thoughts, and experiences. I talked with peoples like Rama Krishna Reddy Palagiri Sir who has the unbelievable contribution. Really I inspired from him.

2. What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?

Almost the whole event was gone as planned. But there was bad connectivity of internet in the Conference room.

3. What did you learn in the workshop?

I learned many things from this event like How to write good articles, Do you know and Most favorite reference reliability. I don't think that this event was only limited to Wiki learning. But also exchange of thoughts with other community members, knowing other communities wikipedias working model. --Jayprakash >>> Talk 20:07, 6 July 2018 (UTC)

Jagmit Singh Brar[edit]

This was my first ever wiki event and as a less experienced user, I learned a lot from this event. Meeting with different Indian communities was really knowledgeful and enjoyable too. It inspired me a lot to work on various wiki projects. The sessions and discussions were good and brought many new ideas to every community. The major thing I learned was how to increase the quality of content as well as references, to create good articles in our community. So, in the future, we'll be working on that. Jagmit Singh (talk) 05:03, 8 July 2018 (UTC)

Raju Jangid[edit]

1. What went well at the event?

  • According to me, everything was fine in the whole event.

2. What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?

  • By the way, very little was taught about the Auto-Wiki Browser (AWB) in the whole event. Then it should be noted further.

3. What did you learn in the workshop?

  • In the event learned a lot. But the best for me was the "Structure of the Article".

4. What learning did you share with others?

  • Whatever I have learned here, I will share with others.

5. Your planned future activities?

  • To learn even more and make as many articles as possible in future. --Raju Jangid (talk) 07:03, 8 July 2018 (UTC)

sureshkhole[edit]

  • Event was really good, we got to know about many possibilities of cross-community activities.
  • Overall organization was nice, accommodation and food were great.
  • Seeing citoid deployment, learning about java scripts, tools, was a great opportunity.
  • Knowing about article structure, the good article was really helpful. Sureshkhole (talk) 07:29, 8 July 2018 (UTC)

KCVelaga[edit]

  • What went well at the event?
  • There are a lot of things that worked well. The brainstorming sessions and discussions went very good. All of the participants were able to get a decent idea of what other Indic-communities are upto, what there policies are and how things work on Wikipedias and communities. The agenda was also good – it was able to introduce some of global best practices to Indic communities.
  • The main intention behind doing this event in Ranch was very much fulfilled. The homage ceremony to User:Bhadani was also good.
  • What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?
  • Firstly, the agenda timings. We missed the planned schedule many times, however it was only due to ongoing discussions which were actually good. For this, we need to give more duration for potential sessions in the original agenda at first. Secondly, there should have been a Friendly Space Policy and it should promoted among the participants. Something like posters, as you did it for TTT 2018.
  • What did you learn in the workshop?
  • I got to know the basics of Phabricator, how it works and how it can be used. One of the best learning is to understand how various Indic language communities work, and also about various policies and guidelines that each communities follow.
  • What learning did you share with others?
  • About article structure and good articles. Also I helped a bit to Nehal with PetScan.
  • Your planned future activities
  • We've teamed up to create a Indic Wikimedia Portal, hopefully it should be ON in a couple of months. Apart from that, I'll be following up with Punjabi Wikimedians for a TWL branch and s good article system, Telugu Wikimedians for a good article system. Both these communities have expressed interest for the said points.
Thanks for your support. Regards, KCVelaga (talkmail) 08:46, 8 July 2018 (UTC)

Jinoytommanjaly[edit]

  1. What went well at the event?
    1. I liked all events from day 0. The Pre-Event section was good to get an overall details of each Wikipedians. Mixing up of different community participants in room also helped in sharing each persons knowledge even after the day section.
    2. The brainstorming sessions was good and helpful for sharing ideas and to understand the ideas of each participants.
    3. The group activities was also interesting. It helped to build-up a idea into a product.
  2. What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?
    1. This is my first wiki event. So I didn't feel any much discomfort with this event. The only issue I felt is during the conference call section the voice was not audible/gets breaking frequently.
  3. What did you learn in the workshop?
    1. Since am beginner in wiki's i have lack of knowledge how to build a article with good structure, using of JavaScript for various functions, issue with finding references and special tools for editing. The 3 day section was very useful to cover all these issues I have faced during article creation/expansion.
    2. A better understanding of what a primary, secondary and tertiary ref. And how to reliable references.
    3. Thanks for Google advanced search section. Although I have heard about it I have no knowledge we can do these all things for getting information via web. I am sure about this will help to get more references for articles.
    4. The article layout section was also helped for getting knowledge of the structure of article and how to create a FA and GA.
    5. After training Jayprakash helped me in translation of some pages in Malayalam wiki via social media.
  4. What learning did you share with others?
    1. Report of activities and sections of training shared in Village Pump of Malayalam wiki.
    2. Tools used in wikis for article creation and finding references.
    3. Experience and method adopted by different community Wikipedians for article creation and expansion.
  5. Your planned future activities?
    1. Create a featured article in Malayalam wiki in one month.
    2. Article creation in collaboration with Tamil Wikipedians.
    3. Planning an online Edit-O-thon ss part of WikiData 6th anniversary.-Jinoytommanjaly (talk) 14:32, 8 July 2018 (UTC)

Ssgapu22[edit]

1. What went well at the event?

  • As per my experiences, all the events went well.

2. What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?

  • During the event, some parts we couldn't cover due to lack of time.
  • We could create a proper plan and should assign more time for some important topic and we all should co-operate to cover the main topic within time.

3. What did you learn in the workshop?

  • In the workshop, I learned about Google Advanced Search, which is really necessary for every editor to search for references on Google.
  • The General structure and Layout of an article, which should be followed for an article.
  • Types of articles we should give our first focus on our Local Community.
  • Reliable sources, the idea of discussing about the resources used by different communities was awesome. For that, I got some more idea about the source of references.
  • Neutral Point Of View should be followed. This would show the equality of Wiki. That part was good. Since I was following some rules but wasn't aware of some other rules. This helped me this properly.
  • Citoid tool was also good. I got to know about this from Tito Dutta, some days before this event, but this wasn't working on our wiki. Jay Prakash had described about this, and I got the full idea about this tool. I'm sure this would help at the time of creation.

4. What learning did you share with others?

  • Previously I had shared some specific structure of an article with some editors, but I want to share them with others, who couldn't attend the event or the new editors through direct messaging or on their talk page.
  • On the 16th Anniversary celebration of Odia Wiki community, I had approached to share some views about Citoid to our community, so Sailesh Pattnaik had given a presentation about Citoid.

5. Your planned future activities?

  • I would try to contact the new active editors of our community and would share the proper structure he/she should follow for an article.

Manavpreet Kaur[edit]

  • What went well at the event?
  • Overall the event went well. The participation and planning of sessions was better than the TTT program. The brainstorming sessions and discussions was great. A lot of cross Indic-communities interactions happened, they discussed what policies they follow in their respective communities and shared best practices. Every community shared any advanced practice they have been using and found useful.
  • The enthusiasm and focus of the participants throughout the event was praiseworthy.
  • The homage ceremony to User:Bhadani was also good.
  • What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?
  • There was a lot on the agenda and because of the time constrain, some sessions were missed, as the discussions took a lot of time but no complains as the discussions were really good. We need to give more time for potential sessions in the agenda.
  • What did you learn in the workshop?
  • I got to know the basics of Phabricator, Copyvio, The Wikipedia Library(TWL).
  • What learning did you share with others?
  • About good article, World Wide Web and the Wikipedia- resources used and Wiki Science Month
  • Your planned future activities
  • We've teamed up to create a Indic Wikimedia Portal, hopefully it should be ON in a couple of months. Apart from that, I'll be interacting with Krishna for Punjabi Wikimedians-TWL branch and will interact with Indic communities and CIS A2k Team regarding Wiki Science Month. Will plan a regional training to teach the fellow wikimedians what we learned during WAT.
Regards- Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 18:19, 8 July 2018 (UTC)

Sushant Savla[edit]

The best part of the training was knowledge and ideas sharing. On general days we carry out wiki works as a part time activity. During such Knowledge based events, that 24*7 we are wikified. The stay was comfortable, Food was as good as the knowledge which was given.

Live call - talk with external wiki experts: This session was quite not clear due to net connection and audio quality. I wish in future we may arrange base talk on the topic in advance. May be a Video. and if possible question answer sessions be taken live.

Vikashegde[edit]

1. What went well at the event?

Overall arrangements, brainstorming sessions, Hands-on activities, Knowledge sessions on different topics/tools, interaction with many languages community members.

2. What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?

First, Missing the agenda/schedule as questions and off topic discussions were entertained in between sessions and actual topics got sidelined or a few topics went short of time. Second, though the event place was nice, it was not well versed for technology training kind of sessions, like improper power plug points, cross cables, limited WiFi numbers.
These problems can be tackled by strictly adhering to schedule and keeping question-answer sessions at the end of each session. Training places to be selected which has/provide facilities that serve the purpose.

3. What did you learn in the workshop?

Finding good references, Good structured articles creation, tools, advanced searching, how Phabricator works, how Indian language communities are doing.

4. Your planned future activities?

Kannada & Tulu language community meet up and sharing what I learnt and what I know, conducting outreach and Wiki training activities, and contribution of more quality content to Wiki projects in my capacity.

Hindustanilanguage[edit]

  • What went well at the event?
  1. Most important aspect was to hold the event in at a place not frequented by event organizers.
  2. Paying homage to an esteemed late Wikipedian Gangadhar Bhadani in his hometown - a novel and commendable tradition was established.
  3. Geographically dispersed Wikipedians - such as Hindi Wikipedians which I represent could come together - though we've had a few such sessions since 2015 - but this one also goes well in this direction.
  4. A lot of learnings and inter-community interaction - also interactions with people online was indeed remarkable.
  • What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?
  1. I would've loved if we could have more sessions on Autowiki Browser.
  2. Also I would've loved if I could find a solution for Autocorrection of Number on Urdu Wikipedia for which I've also filed a bug on Phabricator.
  • What learning did you share with others?
A lot of things such as:
  1. The ongoing Urdu-Hebrew Collaboration
  2. Past Urdu-Ukrainian Collaboration
  3. Possibility of Hindi-Urdu Collaboration.
  4. A hypothetical outreach plan for Hindi Wikivoyage (in association with other three Hindi Wikipedians present at the event).
  5. Urdu Wikipedians interest in Gujarati and other Indian language users.
  6. Commendable interest of Marathi Wikipedians in Urdu writers and poets.
  7. Incidents of persistent vandalism on Hindi Wikipedia.
  • Your planned future activities?
I plan to implement the insight I've gained from the insightful discussions of the event which I've stored in my subpage from the event etherpad.

Satdeep Gill[edit]

  • What went well at the event?
The event was very successful in stressing the fact that improving is sometimes a more important task than just creating new articles.
  • What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?
The schedule contained a lot of sessions and activities. We could not complete all of them. Although, it was important to spend more time on the sessions that we did, I would say we can do a pre-event consultation with participants to select some priority sessions. We can do additional sessions if we have enough time after these sessions.
  • What did you learn in the workshop?
I learnt about various Wikipedia policies and the fact that most of them don't exist on any Indic Wikipedia.
  • What learning did you share with others?
I shared about various content creation activities such as WAM, Project Tiger and Women in Red.
  • Your planned future activities?
Punjabi Community learned a lot from this event and we have now restarted the conversation to create a policy about Good Articles on Punjabi Wikipedia.

--Satdeep Gill (talk) 17:01, 13 July 2018 (UTC)

Satpal Dandiwal[edit]

  • What went well at the event?
  • The event has been great. The discussions, Brainstorming activity & Wikipedia article structure sessions were very useful.
  • What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?
  • There were many topics of conversation while the time was very short.
  • What did you learn in the workshop?
  • I got to know The Wikipedia Library(TWL) & Advanced Google search.
  • What learning did you share with others?
  • Shared about tools used in wikis for article creation & Good article with some fellow wikimedians.
  • Your planned future activities
  • Punjabi community meet up and sharing what we learned during WAT, To increase quality of wiki articles.

J ansari[edit]

According to me everything was good at the event as I learned a lot of technical subjects in the workshop, which I did not know about.

I learned a lot from Jai Prakash's introduction of Media Wiki. The main thing is that I use reliable references that will help me to create more and more good quality articles, with whom I met all the people of all wiki Community. This evant is A better for Hindi Wikipedia community in the future. --J. Ansari Talk 12:23, 15 July 2018 (UTC)

सुबोध कुलकर्णी[edit]

  • What went well at the event?
  1. The discussions regarding the crowd sourcing, advanced search, reliable sources, article structure and notability issue were very fruitful. The hands on sessions in the language groups received good participation. The members did introspection of their own work as well as analysis of their WP quality issues. It helped to develop realistic views towards the issues. The different aspects of the community were also highlighted.
  2. The involvement in the last session ‘Way forward’ lead towards commitment to potential ideas such as Indic Wiki Help Desk, platform like Quora on Wiki, Creating Good articles, One-to-one training sessions, Building bridges in communities through National edit-a-thon on Science/Health etc.
  3. Bhadani Homage session was meaningful and effective. Felicitation of 2 senior experienced Wikipedians motivated the participants.
  • What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?
  1. Wiki Library would have been discussed more. The exchanges through remote call and presentation was one way interaction.
  2. The extensive discussion on guidelines and policies on respective Wiki’s regarding the points discussed was necessary. However the need was discussed in future followup process.
  • What did you learn in the workshop?
  1. The advanced search, Membership of Resources available for reliable sources like JSTOR etc.
  2. The strengths of different editors and communities viz. Jay regarding technical solutions and Telugu language quality improvement process.
  • What learning did you share with others?
  1. I shared - importance of building diverse groups across various sections of the society, generating content on socially relevant issues, thematic partnership development, guidelines & policy pages in simple format, proper categorization, copyvio and citoid tools for quality improvement – with others.
  • Your planned future activities?
  1. In this year, I am working on quality and policy issues on mr WP. I will be working closely with active editors on other Indic Wikis also, exchanging their policies/thoughts/approach of community. I plan to remain in regular contact with these WAT part’s regarding this.
  2. I want to develop the list of imp articles every Indic wiki should have. This list will be kept as target in edit-a-thons and workshops. The long term goal is national integration through knowing eachother’s culture and knowledge resources.
  3. To develop thematic approach for developing verifiable content – How to approach grassroot organizations, expert activists and build the sustainable processes.
  4. To discuss about local branch of WP library in community as well as with potential libraries and archives.

--सुबोध कुलकर्णी (talk) 09:37, 20 July 2018 (UTC)

IM3847[edit]

  • What went well at the event?
A)Structure of an article & information related to GA, FA articles.
  • What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?
A)Should've provided a little more info about Wikipedia Library.
  • What did you learn in the workshop?
A)I've learn about structures of GAs and FAs. Finding reliable sources using google advanced search and more.
  • What learning did you share with others?
A)I've discussed about English→Telugu translation methods with my roommates. We've collectively came to know about each other, since I'm a English wikipedia only a few things were known about activities in Telugu Wikipedia until I meet Wikipedians from Hyderabad & Nellore.
  • Your planned future activities?
A)Although I'm busy at this time (July), I'm planning to expand Andhra & Telangana's census articles in English Wikipedia into GA's.--IM3847 (talk) 14:38, 20 July 2018 (UTC)

Sumita Roy Dutta[edit]

  1. What went well at the event?

Thanks to CIS for giving chance to paying homage to Mr Bhadani. Brainstorming session,idea generation between diff Indic wiki community. Manavpreet and Diptanshu already started working on this where I hv joined others are also welcome.Good food, stay.

  1. What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved?

Duration of each session. Can be improved by event co ordinators interference in summing up, free time in evening to continue interaction whatever the sessions done in the morning. Q&A and interaction with speaker can go on in messenger group created for the event with session speaket if interaction need more time than schedule.

  1. What did you learn in the workshop?

Basic structure of an article, structure of good article. Use of citoid.How to get data of too long articles and too short articles.How to report bug in Fabricator, about The Wikipedia Library. Through brainstorming in a team how to explore new ideas to outreach and feasibility. I am not admin so not able to learn how to import tools in local wiki.

  1. What learning did you share with others?

For structure of article and any query related to Bengali Wikipedia created a group in FB messenger.

  1. Your planned future activities?

Mentoring new and existing Bengali Wikipedian,translation of help file in Bengali, improving India related article in Bengali. All these activities in a team.

Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 04:50, 24 July 2018 (UTC)

Wikilover90[edit]

1. What went well at the event? Hands-on activities, Mediawiki sessions on different topics/tools, interaction with many languages community members.

2. What did not go well during the event, and how it could be improved? The schedule was too full. Also, the participants should be allocated space by the organizing team. Some participants may have a week-eye sight and are more comfortable sitting in the front instead of the allocated sitting arrangements. In such kind of arrangements, if someone wishes to change seat due to a certain reason, they should be allowed to do that.

3. What did you learn in the workshop?

Finding good references, Good structured articles creation, tools, advanced searching, how Phabricator works, how Indian language communities are doing.

4. Your planned future activities?

Different training workshops and wikipedia projects. I will continue working on developing the 'Good Article criteria on Punjabi Wikipedia'.

Wikilover90 (talk) 09:27, 9 May 2019 (UTC)