Talk:CIS-A2K/Requests/Archive 2016 2

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Requests to CIS-A2K
This is an archive, please do not edit this page
2013
(January—June, July—December)
2014
(January—June, July—December)
2015
(January—June, July—December)
2016
(January—June), July—December)
2017
(January—June, July—December)
2018
(January-June, July-December)
Content of this page have been moved from Talk:CIS-A2K/Requests

Contents

Requesting for a Laptop[edit]

I have been editing Kannada Wikipedia since 18 months and I am a active contributor for sister Wiki Projects also. This year I would like to conduct wiki Photo walk at coastal Karnataka, Outreach activities and edit-a-thons in and around Mangaluru. Here by I request CIS-A2K team to provide a Laptop to support my work. --Gopala Krishna A (talk) 18:05, 1 July 2016 (UTC)

  • Thanks for letting us know about this request. I'll forward it to a2K team. Regards -- Tito Dutta (talk) 12:38, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
    • Thank you @Tito Dutta Gopala Krishna A (talk) 09:51, 9 July 2016 (UTC)
      • Hello, we won't be able to support this, you may ask it here. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 07:11, 27 July 2016 (UTC)

SWAG material required for Wiki Loves Butterfly (WLB)Team[edit]

On behalf of WLB project team,I Ananya Mondal an active user of Bengali Wikipedia for the last 11 months, request before the concerned authority CIS-A2K team for provided us SWAG materials (T-shirts 5in no.) for the purpose of our extensive outdoor butterfly shooting and documenting activities at different butterfly infested area of West Bengal,India(https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Butterfly) .We, the members of WLB team are on a project about the life circle, behavioural activities, habitat, host plants etc of the butterflies available in West Bengal, India. Our project targets in broad spectrum of outreach activities, knowledge sharing and interest growing among people about butterfly as well as of Wikipedia, contributing quality images regarding butterflies in Wikipedia commons (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wiki_Loves_Butterfly) and also to generate related articles in Bengali Wikipedia. We’d like to have those T-shirts for our core team members who travel near and far for shooting butterfly most frequently. At the same the T.shirts shall also serve as a motivational factor for our team members who shall be infused with better energy and motivation in course of their work.--Ananya Mondal (talk)18:07, 3 July 2016 (UTC).

Request to honour leading woman Wikipedian from Hindi Wikipedia as endorsed by the community[edit]

Hello.

I was part of CIS A2K between 2013-14. During this period, the project, "Lilavati's Daughters" was started on a number of Wikis, including Hindi. Inline with this trend, I created the project page on Hindi Wikipedia.

As probably many of you are aware, Hindi Wikipedia extended the scope of this project by including this project as part of the larger project called "Hind ki Betiyan" (Daughters of India/ Women Achievers of India). Here is the detailed description of the work done in this direction. One user who worked really hard in this direction is hi:User:Mala chaubey.

Acknowledging her immense contribution, the Hindi community has passed the Felicitation Resolution (see hi:विकिपीडिया:चौपाल#अभिनंदन प्रस्ताव) lauding her immense contributions and asking CIS A2K to send at least one copy of the book "Lilavati's Daughters". I request CIS to kindly honour this community resolution. In the event of non-availability of this book, CIS may send a copy of the autobiography of any leading woman achiever to hi:User:Mala chaubey.

Umpteen thanks in advance. --Muzammil (talk) 19:02, 30 April 2016 (UTC)

  • I am forwarding this request to CIS-A2K team. Thanks. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 23:47, 1 May 2016 (UTC)
Has there been any progress on this small request from the Hindi Wikipedia community? --Muzammil (talk) 18:55, 27 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Please check an email we have sent. Thanks. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 11:16, 12 August 2016 (UTC)
  • Thank you for the email. I've contacted the lady and I hope to revert to you ASAP.--Muzammil (talk) 15:31, 12 August 2016 (UTC)
  • Mala ji sent a mail with all details to Tito, Rahim and me. Thanks, Rahim, for the quick acknowledgement mail. --Muzammil (talk) 08:23, 13 August 2016 (UTC)
  • Thanks. We are working on it. Rahmanuddin will contact the editor. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 05:52, 18 August 2016 (UTC)

Photo walk In Mangaluru[edit]

As we (myself and Vinay) mentioned in our presentation at TTT-2016 we would like to conduct a one day photo walk followed by online edit-a-thon for one week in and around Mangaluru.

Places[edit]

  1. . Mangaladevi Temple.
  2. . Milagres Church.
  3. . Mary Hill (Holy hill).
  4. . Adyar falls.
  5. . Ramakrishna matt.
  6. . Mosque at old port (Zeenath Masjid).
  7. . Tannirbavi beach.
  8. . Sammilan Shetty Butterfly park.
  9. . Pilikula.
  10. . Sultan Batteri

Budget[edit]

  1. Local convince for others and travel expenses and stay for a person from Christ University is around Rs 6000/-
  2. Food expenses for everyone is around Rs 4000/-

For this event we need 8 T-shirts and stickers. --Gopala Krishna A (talk) 04:34, 16 August 2016 (UTC)

Discussion[edit]

Thanks for letting us know about this initiative. I have two questions: a) have you created any event page, b) have you discussed this on Village pump? -- Tito Dutta (talk) 06:14, 16 August 2016 (UTC)

@Titodutta:

Yes. we are done with that work. Event page is here. Village Pump announcement link is here. --Gopala Krishna A (talk) 07:35, 16 August 2016 (UTC)

  • Thanks for updating. I am forwarding this request to A2K team, and will keep you updated. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 15:17, 16 August 2016 (UTC)
  • Please provide a detailed budget breakup. Please also let us know what are your expected outcomes from this event? Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 06:08, 18 August 2016 (UTC)
  • We mainly spent money for cab to travel around Mangaluru and breakfast, lunch and snacks for six members. Its less than Rs 5000. We expect about 10-15 articles in kn.wiki. And mainly St.Aloysius chapel photos in commons. And we spoke to Bengali, Telugu and Punjabi Wikipedians to create or expand articles about Mangaluru. Gopala Krishna A (talk) 03:46, 29 August 2016 (UTC)

Request for statistical data on WEP in Christ University, Bangalore[edit]

Hello,

I was part of the first phase of WEP in Christ University, Bangalore as Programme Officer of CIS A2K. Post my exit, I was still in touch with the university students work as can seen in this Commons Deletion Request or more recently the Hindi Wikipedia discussion over the students work in 2016.

I am currently working on writing a paper on all the phases of WEP in Christ University, Bangalore, and hence I quest CIS A2K to kindly share statistical information from 2014 till date (student participation, article creations, etc, language-wise - Hindi, Kannada,Sanskrit, Tamil and Urdu).

I request an urgent update on this - either on a Wiki page or through an email with the desired classified information.

Best, --Muzammil (talk) 18:23, 19 August 2016 (UTC)

  • Thanks for requesting this. I am forwarding this to A2K team, and will keep you informed. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 12:50, 20 August 2016 (UTC)
  • Please find Christ University education program report here. You may also contact User:Ananth subray if you need details (I'll send his email id to you in an email). -- Tito Dutta (talk) 13:29, 24 August 2016 (UTC)

Grant request for Malayalam Wikimedia Outreach program - Study camp in Kottiyoor 2016[edit]

Malayalam Wikimedia community has planned to conduct an outreach program/ study camp as part of the popularization of the Wikimedia projects among general public and students. The community incorporate with the schools near by the venue to provide an educative arena to the capable students to promote Wikipedia in an effective way from the school level. The event going to happen on 17th and 18th of September at Kottiyoor, one of the Wild Life Sanctuary of Kerala, located in the serene hills of Western Ghats. It gonna be a two days, one night program, along with an edit-a-thon about the bio diversity of Kottiyoor/ Western Ghats, Tribal life and culture etc.

The details of the program can be seen at the event page created within Malayalam Wikipedia.

We request the assistance from the A2K by way of all possible means. The detailed estimate and budget for the program is shown as following.

  • Revised the budget request as per the conversation with CIS.
Item Cost (in INR) Description
Food ~20,000 2 X 2 Meals, 2 break fast, 2 Evening Teas and Snacks.- per head * 70 Individuals .
Accommodation ~15,000 Hotel room for the volunteers from outside the city. Avg 25 Individuals 1.
Internet ~3,000 Broadband, WiFi, Dongle data recharge, etc1.
Travel/ Miscellaneous ~10,000 TA for the guests and Wikipedia resources from out of the city and other unexpected expenses, against voucher. around 25 Individuals
Total ~48,000 INR Approximate expenses with buffer.

1 : Approximate cost. Should be tallied while producing original bills.

On behalf of Malayalam wiki community -- Karikkan (talk) 22:12, 3 September 2016 (UTC)

Community support[edit]

  1. Support Support --Vinayaraj (talk) 01:40, 4 September 2016 (UTC)
  2. കട്ട Support Support --Akhilan (talk) 02:49, 4 September 2016 (UTC)
  3. Support Support tony 04:11, 4 September 2016 (UTC)
  4. Support Support Lalsinbox (talk) 05:13, 4 September 2016 (UTC)
  5. Support Support fuadaj --Fuadaj (talk) 05:20, 4 September 2016 (UTC)
  6. Rajeshodayanchal (talk) 06:14, 4 September 2016 (UTC)
  7. Support SupportSreejithkoiloth (talk) 11:46, 4 September 2016 (UTC)
  8. Support Support--Vijayakumarblathur (talk) 16:46, 4 September 2016 (UTC)
  9. Support Support--Ranjithsiji (talk) 01:47, 5 September 2016 (UTC)
  10. Support Support--Sugeesh (talk) 20:36, 5 September 2016 (UTC)
  11. Support Support--SijiR (talk) 03:20, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
  12. Support Support Jee 04:07, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
  13. Support Support --User:Erfanebrahimsait 09:01, 10 September 2016 (UTC)
  14. Support Support--Jameela P. (talk) 17:17, 17 September 2016 (UTC)

Discussion[edit]

Thanks for letting us know about this initiative. We generally ask to submit a request at least 3-4 weeks ago. It is difficult to work on such a request in a short period. However, I'll forward it to team, and inform you as soon as possible. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 18:05, 7 September 2016 (UTC)

  • The request is under review. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 07:28, 10 September 2016 (UTC)
  • As we informed you earlier that it is very difficult for us to work on such a request in a short notice. We are facing administrative and other difficulties such as pending reports from your community (note: other than report submission, it includes report verification etc.) In such situation we don't think that we would be able to finish the review and other works in a couple of works.
    You may consider to reschedule the event. Note: rescheduling does not ensure funding from CIS, but the time is needed for a thorough review process of this request and other previous reports. You may also try other major grant structure such as Rapid Grant. Thank you. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 15:47, 13 September 2016 (UTC)
  • The expenditure details have been YesY submitted. Please submit the event report. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 09:13, 11 May 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia workshop at B K Shah Medical Institute[edit]

Wikipedia Education program has been going on at BK Shah Medical Institute since 2015. The second round of this program is ongoing. As a part of this program, MBBS students write primarily otorhinolaryngology related articles on Wikipedia. Currently this program is being run without any formal Wikipedia training for the students from expert Wikimedians. Therefore, it is being difficult for them to learn about the writing style on Wikipedia. This budget request is for funding the travel of Dr. Diptanshu Das, a Wikimedian doctor with experience in contributing to medical articles on Wikipedia (also a member of Editorial board of Wikiversity:WikiJournal of Medicine), to the institute to conduct a Wikipedia workshop for the participants of the education program.

Budget request
Item Expense
Round trip (CCU-BDQ) 14,000 INR (subject to change based on fluctuations in airline fares)
Accommodation, food, incidentals in Vadodara (1 night) 2500 INR (approx)
Total 16, 500 INR

The venue would be B K Shah Medical Institute. The necessary facilities for the workshop would be provided by the institute. The date of the program will be chosen according to Dr. Diptanshu Das's convenience and in consideration of minimal airfare. The workshop should provide basic guidelines as in this along with guidelines pertaining to WP:MEDMOS using presentations like this or this, and handon workshop for the medical students at the institute.

In addition, it is desirable if Dr. Diptanshu Das could be provided with Wikipedia stickers (50) and buttons (50) so that he could distribute them during the workshop. --Netha Hussain (talk) 19:30, 17 September 2016 (UTC)

  • Thanks for letting us know about this plan. Let's start with a few questions: a) when are you planning to conduct this workshop? b) the link of BK Shah Medical Institute above is not working. Could you provide the link of the event page? c) how many students will attend the workshop? d) have you discussed with community members or village pump or mailing lists? -- Tito Dutta (talk) 18:12, 19 September 2016 (UTC)
a) The workshop will be conducted on 28 October if all goes fine. However, the participants and the presenter are flexible about the dates. b) I have fixed the link to the project page. c) 100 students who are now a part of the education program. The alumni students from the 2015 program will also be invited, so the total number will be between 100-200. The head of the department of otorhinolaryngology at B K Shah Institute has confirmed that the lecture hall and wifi will be arranged by him. d) It was discussed during my talk in WikiConference 2016. The YouTube link for the session is here. Dr. Diptanshu.D kindly agreed to host this session after listening to my talk during WikiConference 2016. --Netha Hussain (talk) 19:46, 19 September 2016 (UTC)
  • Thank you for providing these details. I am forwarding this request to A2K team. We'll keep you informed. Thanks. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 05:28, 21 September 2016 (UTC)
  • Thank you for letting us know about this initiative. I am sorry to inform that CIS-A2K team would not be able to support this initiative. You can apply at Grants:TPS and/or Rapid. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 04:47, 1 October 2016 (UTC)

Funding request to cover chhatar puja[edit]

We are planning with some wikipedians to cover a famous puja in bhawanipatna,Odisha that is chhatarpuja. The festival is being celebrated during the Mahastami of Durga puja festival. This is a big festival in bhawanipatna,the center of kalahandi.

As per the budget plan we need:

  • Funding support of Rs. 12,000
proposed detailed budget
Item Cost (in INR) Description
Travel INR3,000 Travel expenses
Accomodation INR4,500 Accomodation expenses for 8th 9th, 10th and 11th october
Food INR3,000 Including Snacks
Miscellaneous INR1,500 For Unplanned exp.
Total INR12,000 approximate total expenditure

Dibyadarsi Nayak (Talkpage|Contribs) 00:23, 28 September 2016 (UTC)

Endorsements[edit]

Discussion[edit]

  • We generally ask to inform us about an initiative at least 3-4 weeks before an event. We need this time to review a request, follow-up with questions, and process it. The event seems to start on 8 October, and we don't think we have enough time to complete the process, still please let us know:
  1. We are planning with some wikipedians to cover a famous puja in bhawanipatna,Odisha that is chhatarpuj -- Please explain what do you mean by "cover" a famous puja? Are you going to take photos or write articles? Have you checked that if such photos exist on Commons already?
  2. "Travel: INR 3,000, Accommodation: INR 4,500, INR: 3,000" -- how many editors are participating? Please provide more details about travel and accommodation.
  3. The VP discussion link you provided did not take to a specific section, please recheck the URL.

Thank you. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 04:57, 1 October 2016 (UTC)

  • CIS-A2K would not be able to support this initiative, as we mentioned earlier here we had too little time to follow-up and process. Please inform us about a request at least 3 weeks prior to an event. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 06:20, 12 October 2016 (UTC)

Requesting Sponsorship for OpenCon 2016 Ranchi[edit]

We the Open Access India community are organising Opencon 2016 Ranchi, a satellite event of the global OpenCon 2016 event at Ranchi on 12th Nov 2016 in partnership with Dept. of Zoology, Ranchi University. Though we are hopeful to get some kind of support for the working lunch and tea, we are short of funds to give away, swags, printed flyers, scribing notes, pens, certificates, printing banners etc. In this regard, we are approaching you with a request to support the event with some Rs. 12000/- for swags including the stationary and printed materials. The budget (INR) split is as follows:

Swags for 50 attendees : 3000; Notes & Pens for 50 attendees : 1000; Flyers on What is Open Access : 5000; Certificates for 50 attendees : 2000; Flex Banner : 500; Posters : 500;

Total : 12000 --Gutam2000 (talk) 09:48, 10 November 2016 (UTC)

  • Thanks for letting us know about this request. This seems to be a good initiative. However, please note that we ask to inform us about a request at least 3-4 weeks ago.
    Once the event is completed, please send us report of the event, and also revised budget. We'll inform you whether we'll be able to support it after that. Note, if we support the event, we'll need original bills and receipts. Please let me know if you have any question. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 12:18, 12 November 2016 (UTC)
  • Thank you for all the support. The event went very well and it is beyond the expectations. The registered participants were 65 and few others also joined. We hope to conduct many such more programmes as many had expressed to attend such events and also participate in the community initiatives. The detail report is under preparation and should be able to send in a day or so via email. The revised budget in actuals we had spent apart from food and power-backup is as follows:

Banner: 600, Certificates and flyers: 3120, Stationary: 613, Swags: 2700. Total: 7033. The report and the bills would be submitted in a day. --Gutam2000 (talk) 09:14, 17 November 2016 (UTC)

  • Thanks for your reply. We would like to event reports, and other details before we can reach a decision. Also note if we support this event, we would require original copies of bills. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 05:07, 21 November 2016 (UTC)

The report was sent via email today (5/12/2016). The bills would be posted tomorrow. Thank you. --Gutam2000 (talk) 16:22, 5 December 2016 (UTC)

  • We have not received the original bills yet. Once we receive the bill, we 'll get in touch with you for the next step. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 15:04, 21 December 2016 (UTC)

Wikipedia Workshop at School for Excellence, Dewas (Madhya Pradesh)[edit]

Sanskrit and Hindi wikipedians are planning to conduct a workshop for Senior Secondary School students with Sanskrit and Hindi as there 1st or 2nd language. The venue for the event is School for Excellence, Dewas district, Madhya Pradesh for 2 days 19th and 20th of December 2016. The expected number of students to participate is around 30. The event is to popularize wikimedia projects among student community and to bring them into wikipedia writing and editing. The event will be spearheaded by senior wikipedians on Hindi and Sanskrit wikis. The event will be followed by an edit-a-thon on the second day.

Event deatils[edit]

Proposed dates - 19th & 20th Decenber 2016 Venue - School for Excellence, Dewas (Madhya Pradesh)

Program leads[edit]

1. Mr. Suyash Dwivedi, Co-founder and CEO, Total Project Solutions (Bhopal) and an active contributor to Hindi Wikipedia is invited to conduct a session during the two day workshop.

2. Mr. Nehal Dave, Samskrit Anuvadak and Mahaprabandhak at Samskrita Bharati, Gujarat and an active contributor and admin of Sanskrit Wikipedia is invited to conduct a session during the two day workshop.

We have a got a good support from the School for Excellence management and also got a team of dedicated and collaborative volunteers.

Requests to CIS[edit]

1. To fund the expenditure of the event. 2. To provide participation certificates to all. 3. To fund travel expenses.

Serial Number Type of Expense Amount
1 Printing and stationary 3,000 /-
2 Projector Rent 2,000 /-
3 Food and Refreshments 3,000 /-
4 Miscelleneous 1,000 /-
5 Travel Expenses 8,000 /-

Support[edit]

--Siddharthdhodapkar (talk) 16:37, 30 November 2016 (UTC)

Response[edit]

Thanks for letting us know about this event. We need some more details. Please share with us a) event page, b) community discussion (Village pump, mailing list) links. You have shown INR 8000 as travel expense, please provide the travel details. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 10:37, 5 December 2016 (UTC)

Thank You for the reply !
  1. Below is the link to community discussion page of Sanskrit Wikipedia. This is the link to community discussion page.
  2. INR 8000/- includes travel expense of both the wikipedians coming from outstation and also their accomodation for two days.--Siddharthdhodapkar (talk) 10:31, 9 December 2016 (UTC)
  3. We have two Hindi Wikipedians coming from Bhopal. Taxi Fare from Bhopal to Dewas is INR 2500. Around INR 5000 for their accomodation for 1 night and 2 days. This way it sums up to INR 8000. Also Nehal Ji will not be coming to the event, I myself will be there for Sanskrit Wikipedia.--Siddharthdhodapkar (talk) 14:14, 11 December 2016 (UTC)
  4. this is the event page. Siddharthdhodapkar (talk) 15:08, 11 December 2016 (UTC)
  • YesY This request is approved by CIS-A2K, although, please note these things: a) we won't be able to provide to money to rent a projector, this is generally considered as an "in-kind" support, b) miscellaneous expenses -- will be paid only if it is spent and bills are submitted, c) you need to submit all original bills, and submit report of the event. Please let us know if you have any question. All the best and good wishes from CIS-A2K. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 06:33, 14 December 2016 (UTC)
Community is thankful to CIS. We want to know that the approved amount will be provided as reimbursements or some initial grant will be provided ?--Siddharthdhodapkar (talk) 07:04, 14 December 2016 (UTC)
  • We are in touch with on this. Ananth Subray and me will be taking care and process this. Please contact us if you have any question. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 15:03, 21 December 2016 (UTC)
Thank You ! The event was conducted properly and as planned. I will be uploading the details on the event page. --Siddharthdhodapkar (talk) 15:27, 1 January 2017 (UTC)
  • Siddharthdhodapkar Great. Nice to learn that. Please prepare event report and send original bills and expenditure details to CIS-A2K. Let us know if you have any question. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 09:36, 2 January 2017 (UTC)
I have sent the original bills, by the means of post. Siddharthdhodapkar (talk) 06:51, 11 January 2017 (UTC)
    • User:Siddharthdhodapkar, we have received original bills and working on it. Please also include your event reports too. Let us know if you have any question. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 04:45, 17 January 2017 (UTC)
This is the event report, as updated on event page.Siddharthdhodapkar (talk) 12:27, 19 January 2017 (UTC)

Requesting reimbursements of amount spent on Wikiwomen's Editathon at Mangaluru[edit]

We organised two days Wikiwomen's Editathon on 26th and 27th of November 2016 at Ramakrishna P.U. College, Mangaluru. There were 15 participants. The event was planned in a hurry and hence there was no time to put up the request for funding before the event. Ramakrishna P.U. College sponsered the venue and the lab. We spent only for food. We have already spent money for food. I am requesting for reimbursement of the amount which we have spent for those two days on food and certificates. The amount breakup is -

  1. Food (₹100 x 15 x 2) = ₹3000
  2. Certificates (₹15 x 15) = ₹225
  3. Total = ₹3225.

The event page is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiWomen/Mangaluru/Editathon/1

--Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) 16:00, 30 November 2016 (UTC)

  • Thanks for letting us know about this. Please let us know what were the outputs of this event. You may show us the a) event page, b) report page (including media coverage, if any). Thank you. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 09:32, 5 December 2016 (UTC)
The report is updated in the event page itself. --Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) 14:22, 14 December 2016 (UTC)
  • Approved Approved Please send all the original bills to CIS-A2K office, once we receive the bills, we'll start processing the payment. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 15:06, 21 December 2016 (UTC)
  • Thanks for approving my request. I will send the original bills through post. --Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) 16:10, 21 December 2016 (UTC)

ML Wikipedia/WikiSangamotsavam 2016-Mini Wikisangamotsavam[edit]

Project Goal[edit]

  1. WikiSangamotsavam is an annual interactive meeting of nascent wikipedia editors with experienced wikipedians of Malayalam Wikipedia
  2. Socialize with community members
    20 editors already registered. A total 150 editors and new comers are expected to participate in three days seminars, classes and interactive sessions. Participation from Tulu Wikipedia community is also expected
  3. Empower new editors
    So far around 50 newcomers attended various preparatory meetings of MiniSangamothsavam. They shall be trained further with hands on training, and interactive during
  4. Increase skills for existing editors
    During the preparatory meetings some of the existing editors in the community, asked for classes for advanced wiki editing such as map creation, template creation, module creation, editing through mobile apps etc.. It is planned to included sessions on these topics in the event
  5. Add or improve content
    More contents on Kasaragod district shall be added to Malayalam and Tulu Wikipedia

Project Plan[edit]

Activities[edit]

  1. What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
    This meeting have following purposes
    Increase number active contributors in Malayalam Wikipedia Community
    Create space for direct interaction of community participants
    Do the ground work for increasing number of articles in Malayalam Wikipedia by March 2017
    Increase quality and quantity of Malayalam Wikipedia contents on Kasaragod District of Kerala, South India where event takes place.
    Increase social awareness on Wikipedia
  2. If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
    Through the previous Wikisnagamotsavams, strength and coherence of Malayalam Wikipedia has been increased.
    Community has been empowered with more active participants
    Quality and Quantity of Malayalam Wikipedia contents Increasing
    Malayalam Wikipedia getting more outreach within the state and societ
    The principle of freedom of Knowledge and social awareness on it Increased
  3. How will you let participants know about the meeting?
    Our planning for the event started with a project page in Malayalam Wikipedia it Wikisangamothsavam-2016
    By using social media and mailing lists we are inviting participants.
    We already have a series of preparatory meetings held at Kasargod district of Kerala.
    We are using regional and national newspapers to publish news about the event to attract more newcomers.
  4. How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
    There are three content creation programs going on in connection with this event, which are listed below. These programs will be continue with greater participation even after the event and we can ensure continuous participation of the users.
    Science 2016
    My Village
    Onam loves Wikimedia
  5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
    Wiki Sangmaotsavam is a famous annual meetup of Malayalam Wiki Community which regularly conducted since 2011. This year we had initially planned it as a bigger annual meetup of the community, with the participation from other neighborhood language communities as well.We have scheduled the program and moved ahead with its organizational activities and related outreach programs.
    But, due to some unexpected hurdles, we could not move further with a bigger program and place the request for project grant in time. To prevent the discouraging signal to the newcomers to the Malayalam Wikipedia community, who were mobilized recently through outreach programs of the planned event and already registered participants, we have planned to convert this as a Mini Event with a modest budget for time being.

Impact[edit]

Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.

  1. Number of total participants 150
  2. Number of people who will help organize the event 20
  3. Number of speakers: 10

Budget[edit]

The financial support expected for this event from from CIS-A2K program for following activities,

Event facilities and management
Code No. Item Quantity INR US$ Rate Notes
EFM 13 Projector 1 1500 22 1500.00
EFM 9 PA system 1 2000 30 2000.00
EFM 17 Standby Generator 1 2000 30 2000.00
EFM 3 TA and Honorarium for invited guests 10 10000 149 1000.00
EFM 9 TA for guest from other Wikipedia Community 10 25000 374 2500.00
EFM 11 Wiki T-Shirts 150 45000 673 300.00
EFM 12 WikiHandbook 400 24000 359 60.00
EFM 14 Wiki School Bags 100 30000 448 300.00
EFM 7 Boards 1 1000 15 1000.00
EFM 8 Arch 1 5000 75 5000.00
EFM 10 Internet 1 3000 45 3000.00
EFM 6 Registration 145 435 7 3.00
EFM 1 Print-outs & Photocopies 100 1000 15 10.00
EFM 2 Badges Type 1 (Committee) 10 200 3 20.00
EFM 3 Badges Type 2 (Guest) 12 360 5 30.00
EFM 4 Badges Type 3 (Volunteer) 25 500 7 20.00
EFM 5 Badges Type 4 (Participant) 145 1450 22 10.00
EFM 15 Labour 3 1500 22 500.00
EFM 16 Venue Decorations 1 1000 15 1000.00
Total 154945 2316


Endorsements[edit]

  1. Support Support -- Rajeshodayanchal (talk) 08:16, 5 December 2016 (UTC)
  2. Support Support -- Karikkan (talk) 08:19, 5 December 2016 (UTC)
  3. Support Support --Ranjithsiji (talk) 08:45, 5 December 2016 (UTC)
  4. Support Support -- Shaji (talk) 09:48, 5 December 2016 (UTC)
  5. Support Support -- Ovmanjusha (talk) 14:05, 5 December 2016 (UTC)
  6. Support Support -- Shagil (talk) 12:48, 6 December 2016 (UTC)
  7. Support Support - Sreejithkoiloth (talk) 11:49, 7 December 2016 (UTC)

Discussion[edit]

  • Thanks a lot for letting us know about this plan. Unfortunately CIS-A2K would not be able to support this request, as a) the report and documentation of the earlier grants given to your community are not fully complete yet, b) the amount you are anticipating is a higher than our other general supports, and we don't think we would be able to process it after previous reporting task completion, and full review and discussion of this one in a short period.
    Please note you can approach Wikimedia Grants:Start (or Grants:Start/Groups&Organizations). Please let us know if you have any question. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 03:06, 9 December 2016 (UTC)

Odia Wikisource : Digitisation of rare books[edit]

I plan to digitise some 100-200 rare old books in Oriya- by travelling to numerous historic libraries and universities of my state, in association with them and from old publishers. These books contain mostly ancient literature (8th c.-20th c.) but are now in a state of destruction due to the lack of an audience and hence, need to be preserved. My aim is to collect these and then scan them, OCR them for preservation in the Odia Wikisource project.

Goals[edit]

  • To collect rare old books published anywhere between (1850-2000) and Digitise them
  • To add rare books that are unavailable elsewhere to Wikimedia projects, especially Wikisource
  • To partner with historic libraries, museums and universities in order to digitise relevant books from their libraries
  • To add audio-visual resources to Commons regarding the subject

Activities[edit]

Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?

I will make numerous trips to most historic libraries and universities in the state, and also old publishers. I will search for relevant books from both sources and get them scanned and then add the valuable resource into Wikisource. I have also looked into personal libraries of some friends who are willing to help.

How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?

I have posted the idea in the community here- link.

I have already proposed the idea to a few members who are enthusiastic to help me out in many ways- some of them even are willing to give me access to their personal libraries. What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?

At the end of the project, anywhere between 50-100 books would have been preserved and digitised. This is important because currently, printed books of centuries-old manuscripts are being destroyed due to utter neglect and disinterest. Hopefully, timely digitisation will revive those.

Many of these books are no longer of any value, so the publishers are willing to give them at nominal prices. So, one can certainly hope for >100 books.

Impact[edit]

How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:

  1. Number of articles created or improved (if applicable) : 50
  2. Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable) : 100
  3. Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable) : 50

Resources[edit]

What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).

The Odia Wikipedia Community has a scanner specially built for this purpose. The community is willing to help me out by allowing me to use it.

No, I will not be receiving any donations from any other source.

What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:

Purpose Expenditure
Travel 5000
For procuring old books (50-150) 12000
Total INR 17000

Endorsements[edit]

  • Support Support Currenly the most enthusiastic contributor of Odia community. Good Luck. --Jnanaranjan sahu (talk) 20:32, 6 December 2016 (UTC)
  • Support Support -- Bikasho (talk) 16:37, 6 December 2016 (UTC)
  • Support Support --good thinking Prateek. --Pmsarangi (talk) 09:47, 12 December 2016 (UTC)

--Shrijagannatha (talk) 04:45, 6 December 2016 (UTC)

Discussion[edit]

Thanks for letting us know about this plan. I am forwarding it to A2K and will keep you informed. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 10:41, 7 December 2016 (UTC)

Meanwhile, I've contacted the oldest and largest library of the state (with ~74000 titles), the Kanika Library at Cuttack for this project. They seem to be interested. In the first phase, we'll also be getting lots of rare books from 5 collectors who are willing to help us for free. I'll be going to Cuttack and Puri from Bhubaneswar in order to collect and scan the books from the various publishers, collectors and libraries. This project is definitely going to have >100 books. I underestimated that.
And yes, I see I have forgotten to mention that I plan to undertake the whole project from March 2017 to August 2017. (6 months) --Shrijagannatha (talk) 05:43, 11 December 2016 (UTC)


  • @Titodutta: I will be in Bhubaneswar on the 26th and 27th of December 2016. I have some collectors and libraries in and around Bhubaneswar that are wiling to help us out. I believe that almost half of the work can be completed during this time. I'll be doing this together with Sailesh. If the team is positive with this plan, I'd like to request for about 10k in advance for travelling to Puri and Cuttack and getting some rare books. --Shrijagannatha (talk) 16:43, 17 December 2016 (UTC)
  • Hello, A2K feels that this idea is immensely important and will extend programatic support (digitization sprint, availability of community advocate, utilization of infrastructure, sharing of contacts). Purchasing books is not a viable idea (custodian of the book, maintenance etc. problems may arise), you may try to partner with some library or organization (the way Marathi Wikipedians have digitized books for their project), you can also borrow books for sometime. Odia Wikipedians have done impressive works, and have earned goodwill. Please explore the content donation option (we may help here if you need.) We will reimburse travel and miscellaneous expense once bills and report are submitted. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 09:44, 20 December 2016 (UTC)
  • @Titodutta: Tito, the books I am talking of are ancient writings of the Odia language. These have not been reprinted since ages and hence, these works are dying. Due to the lack of reprints and unavailability of these copies, the only way to get these books is to buy the remaining copies from the scatterd publishers who are otherwise not willing to give them for free. Also, they charge meagre amounts for these priceless books, only because they do not want to give these away for free. My plan was to go out and explore those books from such scattered publishers' old stock and collectors. So, the plan is to partially collaborate with collectors and libraries as far as possible and partially to procure old, rare copies that will never be reprinted, and if not saved, will be lost forever. That, is the actual, although sad state of affairs.
Also, this will further the Odia community's relation with actual publishers which may be useful in the long run. This will also create a physical library for Wikipedians simultaneously. --Shrijagannatha (talk) 05:01, 27 December 2016 (UTC)
  • Content donation is out of question, for these are works written 500-600 years ago. --Shrijagannatha (talk) 04:50, 27 December 2016 (UTC)
  • @Titodutta: Kindly take a look at the last two comments. - Shrijagannatha (talk) 01:19, 4 January 2017 (UTC)
  • Hello User:Shrijagannatha, thanks for the reply and follow-up. We also thank you for the telephonic conversation which explained the project in greater detail. As mentioned earlier CIS-A2K would be glad to support this activity. We request you to create an exclusive Meta page for the project and regularly update it.
    As per your explanation these books are out of print and only a few copies are available. Procuring these books is not only an important task, but also a time-sensitive one. We would encourage you to collaborate with another experienced Wikimedian to procure, catalog, and safely preserve these books and (h/h)is suggestions in executing this project.
    A2K would be willing to reimburse expenses on submission of report and original bills. Timeline and work-plan must be discussed with and approved by the Odia community. Based on these suggestions, this request is Approved Approved. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 06:45, 18 January 2017 (UTC)

Request from Urdu Wikipedia[edit]

Hi,

This is perhaps the first ever community request from Urdu Wikipedia.

As an offshoot of interactions with Urdu and Ukranian Wikipedians in Wikimmania 2016, we started Urdu-Ukrainian Community Collaboration Project in October 2016. 10 Ukranian Wikipedians worked on 50 articles related to Urdu language and literature (20 as per agreed list and 30 out of personal enthusiasm). On the other hand, 4 Urdu Wikipedians worked on 21 articles, while one Urdu Wikipedian provided technical support in dealing with infoboxes, making the number of participating Urdu Wikipedians to 5.

Measure of mutual appreciation[edit]

It was decided in the beginning of this exercise, that Wikimedia Ukraine will send calendars / country souvenirs to all Urdu Wikipedians and Urdu Wikipedians will send books in English on South Asian countries (including India) to Ukraine Wikipedians through the support of a body which encourages Wikimedia programmes in India, i.e. Access to Knowledge Programme of the Centre for Internet and Society, Bangalore.

What is needed now from CIS A2K?[edit]

Urdu Wikipedians request the Centre for Internet and Society to send the following to Wikimedia Ukraine (on one single office address):

  1. Five (5) books in English giving information about India/ South Asia to each of the top five Ukrainian participants.
  2. Letter(s) of appreciation may also be sent acknowledging the efforts of the each of the top five Ukrainian participants.

Community Endorsement[edit]

Umpteen thanks in advance. --Muzammil (talk) 12:10, 9 December 2016 (UTC)

Discussion[edit]

Thanks for letting us know about this request. I am forwarding it to A2K team for discussion. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 05:15, 10 December 2016 (UTC)

Thanks for forwarding this request to A2K team for discussion. Hope a decision is taken soon. Wikimedia Ukraine members have asked for the books/ letters of appreciation to be sent on a single mailing address which is their office address. Correspondingly, they have asked for a single mailing address where they could dispatch their items to be distributed among Urdu Wikipedians later. --Muzammil (talk) 17:54, 10 December 2016 (UTC)
  • A2K feels that this is an interesting idea, however we have two questions, a) do you want us (CIS-A2K) to process and courier these books or would you do it yourselves?, b) could you please mention the names of the books and approximate price? Thanks and good wishes. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 14:01, 14 December 2016 (UTC)
Dear Tito, thank you for asking these relevant questions: a) It will be better if CIS A2K processes and couriers these books. b) If you ask me to cite the example one of the kind of books we are looking for, I will cite the example of A Strange Kind of Paradise: India through Foreign Eyes by Sam Miller. The basic idea is to give a good introduction of either India, South Asia or simply an introduction to the Urdu language. CIS can arrange for five different books or copies of one single book title.In the example I have given, the cost is Rs. 354/- but this can vary, if CIS chooses a different title. Please keep me informed about the despatch when it takes place. Thank you very much!Thank you very much!--Muzammil (talk) 15:20, 14 December 2016 (UTC)
  • Thanks for your quick reply. I'll check these things. We would require some information from you such as a) address of recipients, b) any certification to be included in it, c) book titles etc. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 15:23, 14 December 2016 (UTC)
a) There is one common address for our Ukraine friends: Wikimedia Ukraine, Office 516, 14/1 Mechnykova Street, Kyiv, 01133, Ukraine
b) It will be a good gesture if CIS sends certificates as well - this could simply be letters addressed to the participants on CIS-A2K letterhead or separate certificates - whichever is convenient.
c) I have given one example above with a note. Other possible examples I find from Sahitya Academy publications list are English translations of Urdu works as follows:
  1. Krishan Chander: Selected Short Stories Rs 80/- (ISBN 81-260-2177-2)
  2. Rajinder Singh Bedi: Selected Short Stories Rs 80/- (ISBN 81-260-1996-4)
  3. Short Stories from Pakistan by Intizar Hussain and Asif Farrukhi Rs 150/-- (ISBN 81-260-1598-5)
  4. The Sound of Falling Leaves by Qurratulain Hyder Rs 75/- (ISBN 81-7201-662-X)
Best, --Muzammil (talk) 15:55, 14 December 2016 (UTC)
  • Symbol confirmed.svg Approved: This request has been approved by the CIS-A2K team. I'll get in touch with you on Monday. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 13:42, 16 December 2016 (UTC)

Request For Funding of Mini MWT & TTT Workshop for Bengali Wikipedians in Kolkata[edit]

A plan to hold a mini-version of the Train-the-Trainer Program and the MediaWiki Training program (viz. Mini MWT & TTT) is been made primarily for the benefit of Bengali Wikipedians from India based in and out of Kolkata. It will be held as a part of the monthly Bengali Wikipedia community Meetups. I had been a part of the 2016 edition of TTT program and as a result, got the unique opportunity to learn many Wiki-related practices some of which I now intend to bring forward and share with my community. Therefore I have for this event taken the lead to be the primary coordinator. This workshop will certainly be a vital one where participants will be given detailed sessions on introduction to editing Wikipedia, new tools in Wikipedia and various on-going projects in Bengali and English Wikipedias. The participating editors may also pose queries on certain aspects in which they require training and clarifications. This workshop will very well act as a forum for exchange of ideas among the participating wikipedians where they may indulge in discussing ways to improve editing techniques and share better editing practices. Apart from this, important discussions about the progress of current projects and strategising future activities in the region will be taking place as well. Also, at this juncture I'd like to say that during the planning of this Workshop; few nascent Bengali Wikipedians from West Bengal were got in touch with and they expressed their explicit desire to be a part of this Workshop should it be held. Even the old and existing editors are hoping to pick up on the many new advancements in the Wikimedia projects. It is hence evident that the community here is highly interested and is longingly looking forward towards the realisation of this event. To get the best out of this event and to do justice to its title; this workshop is going to be a two-day program. The dates being January 7, 2017 and January 8, 2017. Alongside the above mentioned agendas, every other relevant points deemed appropriate by the participating editors shall be touched upon. Almost all of the active community members have reached consensus regarding this Workshop.

  • Funding support of Rs. 12,000
proposed detailed budget
Item Cost (in INR) Description
Travel and lodging INR6000 Travel reimbursement for two wikimedians not based in Kolkata. Lodging for one.
Food & Water bottles INR5,500 Including Snacks
Venue N.A Assistance with Venue needed from CIS
Miscellaneous INR500 Any unplanned expenditures
Total INR12,000 approximate total expenditure

Endorsements[edit]

Should you (CIS) agree to support this event; I'd like to propose that you consider sending any person as a resource-person from your end who can offer his/her assistance as well towards fulfilling the goal of this Training Workshop. Thank You! -- Mouryan (talk) 16:31, 19 December 2016 (UTC)

  • Thanks for letting us know about this plan. Thanks for creating the Facebook event page, but a) can you create an on-Wiki event page too (on Bengali Wikipedia, if it is a multi-lingual event preferably on Meta), b) we would like to read your replies to the questions asked by User:Jayantanth on Bengali village pump, as those will provide better insights. Thanks and regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 19:53, 19 December 2016 (UTC)
    • User:Mouryan, we are waiting for your reply. Once you respond we can go ahead with this request. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 09:03, 23 December 2016 (UTC)
All the questions and queries raised by fellow community members have been duly addressed. Would request you to kindly check.

Also, an important agenda related to Bengali Wikisource anniversary (in the upcoming New Year) has been added to this Workshop. I'm only mentioning this point to highlight the nature of importance of this Workshop. Thank you very much once again -- Mouryan (talk) 06:58, 25 December 2016 (UTC)

  • Thanks Mourya for answering these questions. Face-smile.svg Thanks for working hard for this. Here are a couple of questions (in addition or follow-up to what User:Jayantanth has asked on Bn Wiki Village pump:)
  • a) could you provide the links to the Wikipedia/meta event page, which we requested above? It is not possible to get an idea of the program schedule, participants list (and assessing their Wiki contrib etc from a Facebook event page. So, please create a Wiki (Bengali and/or Meta) event page and add details, also ask participants to sign up there.
  • b) (from Bengali Wikipedia VP) "ভেন্যু প্রসঙ্গে সিআইএস (যাঁদের নিকটে এই কর্মশালা সম্বন্ধিত দরকারি ফান্ডিং চাওয়া হয়েছে)-এর কাছে সাহায্য চাওয়া হয়েছে।" -- we need further details what type of support you need for finding venue. Do you want CIS to find a venue for you? Is it only conference hall? or accommodation is included as well?
  • c) "পশ্চিমবঙ্গ থেকে যারা কাজ করছেন, তাদের মধ্যে কারা বা কয়জন জানিয়েছেন, যে তারা উইকিপিডিয়ায় নতুন টুলস ব্যবহার করতে জানেন না?" -- it is completely upto you how would like to go ahead. However as you have asked for our suggestion and support, we propose this: after creating the on-Wiki event page, and getting an idea of the possible participants, please do a "need assessment". Please let us know if need help here to prepare questions.
  • d) "যাঁরা উইকিপিডিয়া সম্পাদনার উপর ব্যাখ্যান করবেন তাঁরা ট্রেনার হিসাবে পরিচিতি পাবেন।" -- That sounds good, however it is not specific. Hopefully it will be much more clear once the event page is created and a (proposed) schedule is added. Earlier you requested a TTT resource person from CIS, (generally such a resource person attends mini-TTT), this is unsure still, we can confirm only after the event and program schedule is finalized.
  • e) "অন্য প্রকল্প গুলি কি বাদ থাকবে?" -- as you have mentioned about Bengali Wikisource, it looks like it will be a part of the event, is not it?
    Please let us know if you need help in any step of this event. We would try to provide our suggestions and help. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 03:31, 26 December 2016 (UTC)
Thank you for your follow-up on this. I will now try to answer the raised questions.

a> An event page on META is created. The link for the same can be found here. Apart from this; a detailed event-page on the local Wikipedia (bnwiki) is under construction. The event page going to be comprehensive; complete with programme-schedule and participating editors' list. It shall be updated here at the earliest.

b> Thank you for addressing this here. I think I was inefficient in stating my request properly; earlier. Hence I will try to reiterate myself. It is expected that as of now, two editors will be in need of accommodation. These two editors are based out of Kolkata (ie. the city which is chosen for this Event). Also, a request with respect to the venue was placed. On my humble individual capacity; I did some research and came up with this place; that offers a conference room and a place to stay- which is what we are precisely looking for. I openly state the incapability at this moment on our part to find a venue for this very important training session and hence the request for the Venue.

c> Many have indeed expressed their desire to be a part of this. An event page with further details is right on its way!

d> Once again from my personal understanding, I'd like to reiterate my request for a resource person (someone from your end). For an event like Mini Train-the-Trainer; I can opine (on my humble individual behalf) that the presence of instructors like Mr. Tanveer or Yourself (Mr. Tito Dutta)- who were there while I was an attendee in this year's TTT- is very essential for the ultimate success of what I intend for my community to achieve.

e> Without having to stray from the primary agenda of this event; various other facets all concerning Bengali Wikipedia will be discussed among participating Bengali Wikipedians. A brief talk of introduction on the West Bengal Wikimedians user-group is also on the cards from contributors; primarily involved in its creation.

I request for the funding of this Event as I, on the community's behalf believe this to be a necessary one. Contributors working in various Wikimedia Projects have endorsed this proposal of mine and have shown their good support. Any more Follow-up questions regarding this Event is Welcome. Thank You once again. -- Mouryan (talk) 14:41, 27 December 2016 (UTC)

  • Thank you for your detailed reply and for creating the Meta event page. We are glad to see that Train-the-Trainer and MediaWiki Training ar being extendedand conducted in West Bengal. We would surely like to share our experience, and suggestions. About venue of the event, it might be slightly difficult for us to arrange a venue (with accommodation). We'll check and let you know. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 05:26, 28 December 2016 (UTC)
Alright! Earnest thanks for your response. -- Mouryan (talk) 07:18, 28 December 2016 (UTC)
  • Revised Budget (with Venue + Accommodation) INR 14,500
proposed detailed budget
Item Cost (in INR) Description
Travel and lodging INR6000 Travel reimbursement for two wikimedians not based in Kolkata. Lodging for two.
Food & Water bottles INR5,500 Including Snacks
Venue and cost incurred to Print few Certificates and distribute low-priced badges. INR2,500 Includes two/three rooms in twin-sharing basis for participating out-station contributors.
Miscellaneous INR500 Any unplanned expenditures
Total INR14,500 approximate total expenditure
  • Approved Approved This has been approved by CIS-A2K. We are trying to find a venue for you, we'll inform you if we manage to get one. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 13:17, 29 December 2016 (UTC)
The community is overwhelmed and is thankful for the support Face-smile.svg -- Mouryan (talk) 18:36, 29 December 2016 (UTC)

Representation of Hindi Wikipedia at the Fourth International Hindi Conference[edit]

The Fourth International Hindi Conference (January 6-8, 2017 at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh) aims to create a bridge between the pedagogical experts of the Hindi language in India and and the pedagogical experts and instructors in the USA and the rest of the world, including the South Asian diaspora (Canada, England, Mauritius, Fiji, etc.), where Hindi is taught. The conference is drawing participants from India, USA, Russia, Denmark, Germany and Italy. The event is organized by Hindi Sangam Foundation, which is dedicated to promotion of Hindi language in USA and beyond.

Event website
चतुर्थ अंतर्राष्ट्रीय हिन्दी सम्मेलन
Proposed Activity
Presentation on Hindi Wikipedia during the conference
Proposed Presenter
Syed Muzammiluddin
Objectives sought to be achieved
  1. create more awareness on this Hindi Wikipedia as online encyclopedia among the Hindi academics in India and abroad.
  2. result in more publicity of Hindi Wikipedia as part of published conference reports and media coverage.
  3. draw more contributors / volunteers on Hindi Wikipedia not just from India but also abroad.
  4. more importantly, serve the major conference objectives of Hindi literacy, literature development and language proficiency expansion across the world - something which Hindi Wikipedia does, as I mentioned in one of my writeups.
Budgetary requirement (estimate)
Particulars Amount (Rs)
1 Conference Registration 2,500
2 Bus / Train Travel 3,000
3 Local Commuting 1,000
4 Estimated Expenditure in connection with two nights stay 4,000
Total 10,500
Community endorsements
Hindi Wikipedia village pump endorsements

I request an early decision on this request as time is limited. --Muzammil (talk) 16:45, 19 December 2016 (UTC)

  • CIS-A2K would not be able to provide the conference registration fees, about #2, #3, #4 we would support those in form of reimbursement after submission of original bills, and expenditure details. You are also encouraged to share your learning and experiences with community members. Based on the observations above, Approved Approved this request is approved by CIS-A2K. All the best. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 07:32, 20 December 2016 (UTC)