Talk:Community health initiative/Interaction Timeline
Welcome to our discussion!
| When participating in this discussion, please remember the following:
Irrelevant results due to long-ago edits
I ran a comparison of my staff and volunteer accounts for January and February 2018, and the results were basically useless. One column was mostly filled with w:en:WT:MED, and the other column was mostly filled with my sandbox. Since someone pinged my staff account to WT:MED once or twice (but not during the stated time period), and since I've occasionally used my volunteer account to test edit conflicts in my sandbox (but, again, not during the stated time period), the resulting timeline was filled with claims about "a day between interactions", even though there were no interactions on these pages.
The Village Pumps (and similar large discussions/noticeboards) are a particular problem for this model. It is very common to have two people posting to a board such as w:en:WP:ANI within moments of each other but without having any actual interaction. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 15:30, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- @Whatamidoing (WMF): Yes, this is one of the areas for improvement we're already starting to see emerge. Our definition of "pages where both users have edited" is currently 'all time' (e.g. if I made one edit to the Beyonce article in 2008 and you made one edit today, her article would be displayed on the timeline.) And yes, common pages like the VP are often more noisy than helpful. This definition is proving to be too broad and we're starting to think of ways to fix this. Ideas welcome here or on our Phabricator task phab:T189237.
- "the resulting timeline was filled with claims about "a day between interactions", even though there were no interactions on these pages." Could you please share a link when this happened?
- Thank you! — Trevor Bolliger, WMF Product Manager 🗨 22:24, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
Hi. Thanls a lot for the tool. Since you do not provide two different fields for users, the tool allows input of more. But the third user is autocompleted by a weird little set of values (AutoIP, AutoImage, and so on, 9 values), which throw an error 400. Could you check this, please? IKhitron (talk) 17:48, 15 March 2018 (UTC)
- @IKhitron: Yes, this is a problem we fixed before, but it decided to break again! It's filed at phab:T188289. Thank you for reporting it! — Trevor Bolliger, WMF Product Manager 🗨 18:20, 15 March 2018 (UTC)
Timeline V1.1 changes
Hello all! We thought we reached a stopping point with the Timeline but found there were a few changes we want to make after some initial feedback. These changes will go live shortly, and we'll post an update when it's complete.
- phab:T189849 — Change 'N time between interactions' to 'N time between edits'
- phab:T189847 — Make the start date use a default start date of 30 days before current calendar date
- phab:T189237 — Change definition of "pages where both users have edited" to respect the start and end dates
We believe this will make the Timeline easier to use by removing clutter from activity not pertinent to the selected date range. Feedback welcome here or on Phabricator. Thank you! — Trevor Bolliger, WMF Product Manager 🗨 23:42, 26 March 2018 (UTC)