Talk:Connect/Wikimedia diversity group
Diversity conversation outcomes are ready - We need your input online!
During the conference, we dedicated a full afternoon to discussing the strategic direction and what it means for the work on diversity in the Wikimedia movement. Compiling the outcomes of those conversations, we summarized the key problems and solutions identified, and we created a summary statement. But the conversation is far from over! We still need to hear from diversity ambassadors:
- what does working for diversity mean at your local context?;
- what are the needs that should be addressed;
- what resources are relevant for these identified needs?
We know that diversity gains meaning in context, and this is why we need to hear every voice. Please take a few minutes to go over to the diversity conversation page and add your comments.
Throughout the month of March, I will be coordinating a series of conversations with community members about Women in the Wikimedia movement, and what their experience is like contributing to our projects.
Our conversations will focus on women within three strategic areas of our work: Programs, Technical Spaces, and Leadership positions. Each conversation will have two community members presenting on their work, and 15-20 minutes at the end for conversation, follow up questions, and discussion. The goal of these discussions is to foster understanding of challenges and inequalities that women face throughout our movement, and to engage with our communities to help better address them.
These conversations will be online events, streamed on our YouTube channel, and hosted on BlueJeans. If you would like to participate in these events, please add the event to your calendar, or sign up on wiki:
- Women in Wikimedia programs: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 17:00 UTC
- Presenters: Monika Sengul-Jones (OCLC Wikipedian in Residence) and Luisina Ferrante (Wikimedia Argentina education coordinator).
- Co-host: Nichole Saad, Community Programs.
- Women in leadership:Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 19:00 UTC
- Presenters: Mervat Salman (Wiki Arabia 2015 organizer) and Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska (CEE Spring coordinator, and Polish Wikipedia sysop)
- Co-hosts: Alex Wang and Marti Johnson, Community Resources
- Women in technical spaces: Wednesday, March 21st, 15:00 UTC
- Presenters: Josephine Lim (Mediawiki contributor) and Ciell (organizer of all-women hackathon in the Netherlands).
- Co-hosts: Srishti Sethi and Rachel Farrand, Technical Collaborations.
Please feel free to invite anyone you think might have something to add to the conversations.