CVNBOT1 for en.wikipedia
Not sure the right forum for this, but I just noticed that CVNBOT1 on IRC flagged an edit I made as possible Copyvio? for placing a welcome template. Perhaps there is something that might need to be tweaked to avoid this. Tiggerjay (talk) 00:50, 10 January 2016 (UTC)
Recommended tools for fighting vandalism
Hi folks! I have a few questions. A few months ago, through a workshop series as part of the Small wiki toolkits initiative, we learned that one of the Indic community's challenges is a lack of knowledge of tools to fight vandalism on wikis. Indic community involves 25+ smaller language wikis. We are considering organizing a workshop in December for the community in which the focus would be on counter-vandalism tools and how to use them.
- As there are many ways to fight vandalism on wikis (tools, bots, extensions, etc.), could you share the recommended processes or tools that we should promote more?
- Would a member of this group be interested in running a hands-on workshop around this topic for contributors from the Indic community sometime in December? If not, who else would you recommend I should reach out to? I would much appreciate your thoughts! Thanks! SSethi (WMF) (talk) 04:36, 6 October 2020 (UTC)
- @SSethi (WMF): Well there are many ways to track and fight vandalism such as dedicated IRC Channels, Global Abuse Filters and toolforge based tools such as SWViewer.
- I have been patrolling small wikis using all of them for some time.
- On IRC one can join a dedicated channel such as #cvn-swconnect for small wikis and bot will streamline the recent edits from small wikis with some indicators (mostly color changes) to differentiate between edits.
- Global abuse filters are tricky to understand but they help alot in tracking spambots with certain patterns.
- SWViewer is a Toolforge based tool which also streamline recent changes from small wikis, the difference is that unlike IRC one can revert, edit or tag the bad edit within the tool.
- These methods are not that difficult to understand but if you need any help I am more than happy to do so. ‐‐1997kB (talk) 04:06, 13 December 2020 (UTC)