This page is for discussions related to the Diff (blog) page.
Please remember to:
At Editorial Guidelines – Categories and tags, it says that categories “mirror the taxonomy of the Discuss side of Diff”.
Is Diff going to have a “discuss side”? Is this a statement brought across from Space that doesn’t/won’t apply to Diff? [Update: I found a copy of the equivalent Space page on Meta, via the Phab task below, and it does have the same sentence, but with “Space” in place of “Diff”.]
T226759 Document taxonomy for Space blog isn’t clear about whether (or how) the categories would have matched between Blog Space and Discuss Space.
I suspect you just need to delete the sentence, but I’m not going to create a Diff account just to suggest copy-edits, hence posting here.
- @Pelagic: This was a indeed a sentence that accidentally survived the migration from Space to Diff. I have removed it. Thank you for spotting it and report it. Qgil-WMF (talk) 06:59, 17 August 2020 (UTC)
Diff is a weird, nerdy title
I am wondering if there is any chance that the title of this blog might still be changed? Was the name "Diff" derived after a long structured process? We discussed it amongst Wikimedians for Sustainable Development and one of the other members pointed out (and I agree with her): "Clearly they weren't thinking in massive audiences when they came up with that name. I didn't understand that it had some connection with wiki at all -- I first thought it was the diff from the software world. The reference seems kind of obscure to me, and it's also very hard to translate." Just wondering if you've already discussed this to death or if there is any scope to potentially come up with a better name for this blog? EMsmile (talk) 07:26, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- It is a nerdy title EMsmile. We are, at least in my opinion, an inherently nerdy movement. :) You are right, the name does come from the software world. It's a direct reference to the Diff view, a critical component to many editor workflows. In our discussions we thought that it was something that was uniquely "wiki", consistent across languages, and familiar to our communities. We did consider many names. Looking at my old notes it took us nearly 3 months to come up with this name. (Other contenders were "The Link", "Movement News", and I even see a "The Village Pump" on my brainstorming list). We did consult with volunteers, general Foundation staff, and other folks on the Communications team (which I'm part of and who are responsible for keeping Diff humming along). Changing the name and URL would not be a small amount of work. It took us quite a bit of work to get all of the old Wikimedia Blog and Wikimedia Space blog posts migrated over! I hope this provides some transparency in our thinking, and I do appreciate your feedback. CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 17:30, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
- If I may add, Diff is also a memorable four letter word. People don't need to understand its technical meaning or origin in order to click the links that will lead them to stories published on Diff (this is how most users land in new websites these days). "Google" is actually a very nerdy term if you look at their origin, but who cares. The names of the top internet services that gazillion people are using everyday tend to have names connected to but detached from literal meanings. And, well, "Wikipedia" was beyond nerdy when it was created and look now. "Diff" as a concept has a strong connection with our movement, and I think that this is what matters. For the rest, it's four memorable letters relatively easy to pronounce for speakers of many languages. Although we have heard other persons giving us this type of feedback, most people pick the name instantly and just use it. So far the feedback about Diff as a whole has been very positive, and people use its name often. Qgil-WMF (talk) 18:08, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
Fix broken image in old post
- This is a perfect place to ask. I've fixed the image. CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 16:20, 30 November 2020 (UTC)
Hi, this post needs correction? please replace সব উইকিতে অল্প সময়ের জন্য, আপনি পড়তে সক্ষম হতে হবে, কিন্তু সম্পাদনা করতে পারবেন না। with সব উইকিতে অল্প সময়ের জন্য, আপনি সম্পাদনা করতে পারবেন না, তবে আপনি উইকি পড়তে সক্ষম হবেন। (in header & in the main body). Thanks. --আফতাবুজ্জামান (talk) 20:29, 4 December 2020 (UTC)
- I translated that writing but i didn't notice that grammatical error at that time. Kindly help. --আফতাবুজ্জামান (talk) 17:45, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- User:CKoerner (WMF) could you help? --আফতাবুজ্জামান (talk) 17:47, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
Spaces in page topic
The following blog entry
- https://diff.wikimedia.org/2021/03/08/sailing-steady - how-you-can-help-keep-wikimedia-sites-error-free/
is using two hair spaces U+200A around en-dash. Well, should have been en-dash, but is ASCII hyphen with U+002D.
- When linked by Interwiki, various spaces are resolved as
- wmfblog:2021/03/08/sailing-steady - how-you-can-help-keep-wikimedia-sites-error-free/
[[wmfblog:2021/03/08/sailing-steady - how-you-can-help-keep-wikimedia-sites-error-free/]]G
Page is unavailable via hair spaces and does need encoded:
Please move blog entry to an appropriate name, and create a redirect blog entry, or vice versa.
- A redirect blog entry might look like template:soft redirect or en:template:soft redirect.
- @user:jdlrobson: FYI.
- Ack, that's not good. Thanks @PerfektesChaos. I'll work on getting this fixed. CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 21:15, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
- Ok, I think I have this fixed. At least for this one post. There are over 3,000 in the archive and fixing them would take time. I'll leave the task open so that we can address this more systematically in the future.
- wmfblog:2021/03/08/sailing-steady-how-you-can-help-keep-wikimedia-sites-error-free/ CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 20:41, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
- Top 10 posts for this year (so far, and some of which are posts from years past) with approximate view counts:
- Wikipedia is getting a new look for the first time in 10 years. Here’s why. - 47,000
- Stepping down as CEO of the Wikimedia Foundation - 15,600
- Introducing the Wikimedia Enterprise API - 7,800
- You are invited to… Wikipedia’s 20th birthday party! - 7,200
- The first smile and photobomb ever photographed - 6,000
- Happy Public Domain Day 2021! - 3,000
- Why does Venezuelan photographer Wilfredo Rodríguez donate his work to the world? - 3,000
- Introducing the unique devices dataset: a new way to estimate reach on Wikimedia projects - 2,900
- Why it took a long time to build that tiny link preview on Wikipedia - 2,500
- International Workers' Day: Nine people who made lives better for workers - 1,900
- Take all this with a grain of salt. I'm happy to share more detail to anyone who asks, within reason. CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 17:33, 16 June 2021 (UTC)