CIS-A2K request page is a place where the Wikimedians can request for the support to the community event or activities, inspanidual support (enabling participation), technical support, swag request, outreach support. Please sign in to your Wikimedia account to post or comment.
Note: Sharing event report is mandatory. Failing to submit narrative/financial report in time may make your next requests/participation in CIS events ineligible.
Support requested for Kannada Wikipedia Workshop at Canara College, Mangaluru
Dear A2K team,
Canara College is a prestigious institution owned and run by the Canara High School Association, Mangalore. Canara College with its noble vision to prepare educationally strong and culturally vibrant students; is a prestigious institute for higher learning, well acclaimed to have its deep rooted existence since 1973 with its moral ideals, rich core values and fusion of cultural ethos. It has a glorious history and legacy in the field of imparting value-based, character building education to its aspirants. True to its motto of “Educating for Righteous Life” and philosophy of commitment towards offering quality education at an affordable cost, it is located centrally in the coastal educational hub of Mangaluru city. The institution is a Konkani Linguistic Minority Institution, governed and managed by Canara High School Association, Mangaluru, reaccredited by NAAC and affiliated to Mangalore University.
It offers undergraduate programs in Commerce (B. Com), Bachelor of Commerce (B. Com) Professional with Coaching for CA and CS, Science [B. Sc. (PCM, PMC, and BZC)], Computer Applications (BCA) and Business Administration (BBA) and a post graduate program in Commerce (M. Com.).
The vision of our Pioneers was to provide complete education which would integrate the ancient Indian ethos with modern, scientific and technological forefront. To create awareness about ‘Wikipedia’, Department of Computer Science, Canara College, Mangalore is planning to organize a two day workshop for the faculties and students of Canara College in association with 'The Centre for Internet and Society', Bengaluru and 'Karavali Wikimedians group' on July 27, 2019 and July 28, 2019. I am submitting this request for financial support from CIS-A2K. The proposed activities and estimated budget are furnished below.
- Wikimedia movement and Knowledge sharing
- Policies and guidelines of Wikimedia.
- Basics of Wikipedia editing
- Modifying input tools, pre-requisites (e.g. community consensus), and overall process
- Creating user documentation for new users to learn how to contribute to Wikimedia projects
- Templates and other on-wiki technical needs
Expected impact Short-term:
- They know the basics of Wikipedia editing
- All the participants know how to create new articles, translate from other Wikipedias, edit existing articles
- They know about the basic anatomy of an article, and the importance of citations, images/media
- Identify the most important articles that need to be created
- They can take the lead in modifying the existing input method
- They can make use of templates in articles
- They can create user documentation to help new editors learn about editing, and using the input method.
Estimated Budget Total funding needed = Rs.23,600/-
|Item Details||Nos||Cost (in )||Description|
|Accommodation||1||6,000||1 Person 2 days accommodation|
|Transport||1000 * 2||2,000||1 person travel|
|Food (Breakfast, Lunch & Snacks)||50||12,000||Lunch and Snacks for Participants per head 120 for participants of the program|
|Banners||2||600||per banner 300|
|Stationary (Certificates, Invitations, Writing pads and pens, Miscellaneous )||3000.00||for the students and teaching faculty|
- Support : I Support this request. --Vishwanatha Badikana (talk) 13:31, 6 July 2019 (UTC)
- Support :BHARATHESHA ALASANDEMAJALU (talk) 15:13, 6 July 2019 (UTC)
- Support:--Kavitha G. Kana (talk) 15:20, 6 July 2019 (UTC)
- Support :--Ashay vb (talk) 16:15, 6 July 2019 (UTC)
- Support :--Kishorekumarrai (talk) 03:00, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Pavanaja (talk) 11:27, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Support_Vinoda mamatharai (talk) 17:05, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Support -Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) 04:42, 8 July 2019 (UTC)
Discussion @Babitha managalore: Thank you for your request. This is a very interesting program. We have few quarries regarding this request.
- Was this discussed on Kannada Wikipedia Village Pump? If Yes, please give us the link.
- From above request we can see that you are expecting about 50 participants. Please tell us after the event how will you conduct follow-up program.
- Do you need any support from CIS-A2K other than financial support? --Regards Gopala (CIS-A2K) (talk) 07:06, 10 July 2019 (UTC)
@Gopala (CIS-A2K) We are greateful for support in organizing the wikipedia workshop at Canara College on July 27 & 28, 2019. Thank you. Yes it was discussed in Village pump. The link is :- https://kn.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B2%B5%E0%B2%BF%E0%B2%95%E0%B2%BF%E0%B2%AA%E0%B3%80%E0%B2%A1%E0%B2%BF%E0%B2%AF:%E0%B2%85%E0%B2%B0%E0%B2%B3%E0%B2%BF_%E0%B2%95%E0%B2%9F%E0%B3%8D%E0%B2%9F%E0%B3%86#ಮಂಗಳೂರಿನ_ಕೆನರಾ_ಪದವಿ_ಕಾಲೇಜಿನಲ್ಲಿ_ಎರಡು_ದಿನಗಳ_ಕನ್ನಡ_ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ_ಕಾರ್ಯಾಗಾರ
Follow up will be done by Creating a group of wikipedians. Ask the group to report periodically regarding the updation of articles. Providing opportunities to these members to take part in edithons or workshops.
- Thank you @Babitha managalore:. As per telephonic conversation, CIS-A2K will provide trainer support as well. This request is Approved. We will contact you over Email for further discussion. --Gopala (CIS-A2K) (talk) 08:50, 22 July 2019 (UTC)
Workshop and Editathons to accomplish Tulu offline Wikipedia to schools
- status: Under review
- Language community and project : Karavali Wikimedians User Group/Tulu Wikipedia community - Workshop and Editathons to accomplish Tulu offline Wikipedia to schools
- Community discussion (village pump link): Tulu Wikipedia Village Pump
- Start date: August 01, 2019
- End date: May 31, 2020
- Event page: Project page in Tulu Wikipedia. Detailed event pages will be created later.
This project aims to provide offline Tulu Wikipedia to schools. Tulu has been introduced as a language by Govt of Karnataka in 70 schools of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts of Karnataka State of India. Students studying in 6th to 10th standard have the option of choosing Tulu as a language. There is no printed encyclopaedia in Tulu. Students who have chosen Tulu as a language of study have no encyclopedic book to refer other than the prescribed textbook. Tulu Wikipedia can bridge this gap effectively. Students can read article related to the topics of their study from Tulu Wikipedia. Most schools where Tulu is taught have computers but very few have Internet connection. This project envisages providing offline Wikipedia to those schools where Tulu is taught as a language. This will empower the students studying Tulu as a language with knowledge about their land and culture as well as with the latest world knowledge in their language. This is not the problem of Tulu students alone. Those who want to read encyclopedic content in Tulu have no resources available. Many books of encyclopedic in nature which have content about the rich culture, language, tradition of Tulunadu (Tulu land) are available in Kannada and English but none in Tulu. This project will also help all those who are looking for encyclopedic content in Tulu, be it about Tulu culture, language, tradition or about all other world knowledge in Tulu.
- What are the Proposed activities?
The aim is to provide students with articles on topics related to the subjects taught as prescribed in their syllabus. A project has been initiated in Tulu Wikipedia with list of articles on various topics based on the school syllabus.
The activities to begin with are (for which this request is being made)-
- Workshop to explain the project to Tulu writers and editors who will add article to Tulu Wikipedia.
- Series of editathons to add articles to Tulu Wikipedia.
- What are the Expected impact?
- This project aims to achieve these-
- Try to achieve the required number of articles created in Tulu Wikipedia.
- Create offline Tulu Wikipedia using Kiwix and put it in a USB drive.
- Distribute the offline Tulu Wikipedia to schools.
- Train the school faculty in installing and using the offline Tulu Wikipedia.
- What is the Estimate budget (give it with a detailed break-up)?
Here is the summary budget for the project which is expected to spread over many months -
|No||Item Details||Cost (in )|
|1||Writers & editors training workshop||17,400|
|2||Editathons (6 * 22,200)||1,33,200|
Budget details for Writers & editors training workshop-
|No||Item Details||Nos||Cost (in )||Description|
|1||Accommodation||1||6,000||1 Person 2 days accommodation|
|3||Food||20||4,800||Lunch, tea & snacks for participants for 2 days|
|4||Banners||2||600||per banner 300|
Budget details for editathons -
|No||Item Details||Nos||Cost (in )||Description|
|1||Accommodation||1||6,000||1 Person 2 days accommodation|
|3||Food||30||7,200||Lunch, tea & snacks for participants for 2 days|
|4||Food & local travel||2||3000||for 2 persons for two days|
(Some portions of this project will be supported by Karnataka Tulu Sahitya Academy. Those activities and related amounts are not listed here. Venue for the workshop and editathons will be in-kind support by Karnataka Tulu Sahtya Academy, Shri Ramakrishna P.U. College Mangaluru and St Aloysius College Mangaluru)
- I endorse this project. It will be a good project. Offline Tulu wikipeadia is required to refer the topics. As we do not have the printed Tulu Encyclopeadia, students and others need Encyclopeadic content in Tulu. --Kavitha G. Kana (talk) 05:25, 8 July 2019 (UTC)
- It will be a good project it is useful to tulu students so I endorse this project- Vinoda mamatharai (talk) 08:41, 8 July 2019 (UTC)
- It will be a good project. There is no doubt TULU-works have to encouraged. I endorse this project.--Vidyadhar Chipli (talk) 15:19, 8 July 2019 (UTC)
- I endorse this project. This project is very good and very importent. Tulu is a Dravidian language. But Tulu did not gain status without a political background in Karnataka State. But the Government of Karnataka created the Karnataka Tulu Literary Academy, they has allowed to do the Tulu litrary job. The Academy has produced Tulu language textbooks. But there are a number of subject descriptions in the textbook. So that Tulu language textbooks need Tulu Offline Wikipedia work.--Vishwanatha Badikana (talk) 16:30, 8 July 2019 (UTC)
- I endorse this project. It is a good project helps the under privileged people to get access to online Encyclopedia. Since we do not have printed encyclopedia. --Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) 16:33, 8 July 2019 (UTC)
- I endorse the project as it aspires to promote aspects of culture and education in Tulu language.ರವಿಮುಂ (talk) 02:11, 9 July 2019 (UTC).
- Preserving of folklore knowledge and it reach the student make a edge in developing the language, my strong support -- BHARATHESHA ALASANDEMAJALU (talk) 02:19, 9 July 2019 (UTC)
- --BENET G AMANNA (talk) 03:40, 9 July 2019 (UTC)
- Tulu needs encyclopedic activities like this. Wikipedia is the best platform and so, I endorse this project --Vikas Hegde (talk) 05:46, 9 July 2019 (UTC)
- I endorse this project. It is a good project helps the under privileged people to get access to online Encyclopedia.This project is very good and very importent. Preserving of folklore knowledge and it reach the student make a edge in developing the language, my strong support--Kishorekumarrai (talk) 04:51, 12 July 2019 (UTC)
This projects some doubt about it.I am not support this Grant.
- ರಾಮಕೃಷ್ಣ, ಅಲೋಶಿಯಸ್ ಕಾಲೇಜಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಹಲವು edit a thon ನಡೆಸಲಾಗಿದೆ ಅದರಿಂದ ಬಂದ output ತುಂಬಾ ಕಡಿಮೆ!. ಆ ಕಾರಣ money west. ಸುಮಾರು 15 edit a thon ನಡೆದು ಅದರಲ್ಲಿ ಭಾಗವಹಿಸಿ ಮಂದಿ ಯಾರು wikipedia edit ಮಾಡುತ್ತಿಲ್ಲ.?. 6 edit a thon ಗಳಿಂದ ಏನು ಪ್ರಯೋಜನ ?.
- There were many workshops and editathons. Some might not have produced any articles. For ex., the editathons at Subrahmanya, Sullia. Probably they were not planned well. But we have planned our editathons such that all will produce results. There will be metrics to measure the success.--Pavanaja (talk) 11:01, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- ಬರಹಗಾರಿಗೆ ಯಾವ ರೀತಿಯ ತರಬೇತಿ ( writers with type of training)?. (ಬರಹಗಾರಿಗೆ ಅದರ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಮಾಹಿತಿ ಇದೆ). ಅದರ ವೆಚ್ಚ(cost) ಅಕಾಡೆಮಿ ಬರಿಸುತ್ತೆ ಎಂದು ಹಿಂದೆಯೆ ಅಕಾಡೆಮಿ ಹೇಳಿತ್ತು. ಬರಹಗಾರಿಗೆ (writers) ಮತ್ತು ಸಂಪಾದಕ (editor) ಎಂತಹ ತರಬೇತಿ ಎನ್ನುವುದು ಸ್ಪಷ್ಟತೆ ಇಲ್ಲ?. ಹಿಂದೆನೆ ಅಕಾಡೆಮಿಗೆ ಇದರ ಬಗ್ಗೆ budget ತಯಾರಿಸಿ ಕೊಟ್ಟಿದ್ದೇವೆ. ಅದೆ ಮೊತ್ತದಲ್ಲಿ ಸಂಪಾದನೋತ್ಸವ ನಡೆಸಬಹುದು ಪ್ರತ್ಯೇಕವಾಗಿ ಏಕೆ?.
- The part of the project that will be supported by Academy is well discussed and arrived at. Total project is quite huge. We are asking funding for a part of the project.--Pavanaja (talk) 11:01, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- Vidyadhar Chipli, Vikas Hegde this person not Tulu wikipedia editor. Don't consider this person endorse.
- Accommodation,Travel ಹಣ ಹೊಡೆಯುವ ದಂದೆ!. ಬೆಂಗಳೂರಿಂದ- ಮಂಗಳೂರು ಬರುವುದಕ್ಕೆ ಅಷ್ಟು ಮೊತ್ತ ಬೇಕೆ?. ಎರಡು ಮೊತ್ತ ಜಾಸ್ತಿಯಾಗಿದೆ?.ಇದರಲ್ಲಿ ಸುಳ್ಳು ಬಿಲ್ಲು ನೀಡುವ ಸಾಧ್ಯತೆ ಇದೆ?.
- offline wikipedia ಹೆಸರಲ್ಲಿ ಒಂದಷ್ಟು ದನಸಹಾಯ ಸಂಗ್ರಹಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ ಅದರ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಮಾಹಿತಿ ಹಾಕಿಲ್ಲ?.ಒಡಿಯೂರು ಮತ್ತು ಧರ್ಮಸ್ಥಳ ದಿಂದ donation ಪಡೆದುಕೊಳ್ಳಲಾಗಿದೆ.ಯಾಕೆ ಆ ಮಾಹಿತಿ ಹಾಕಿಲ್ಲ ಅದಕ್ಕೆ ಕಾರಣವೇನು?.
- Don't do any whataboutery. Talk about the grant request only. The request is for conducting workshop and editathons only. There are many other activities in the project.--Pavanaja (talk) 11:01, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- Govt of Karnataka ordered teacher's not use mobile in school's?.ಇದಕ್ಕೆ ಏನು ಪರಿಹಾರ?.
- This comment clearly shows this person has not understood the project at all. We will be distributing the offline Wikipedia on USB drives using Kiwix software.--Pavanaja (talk) 11:01, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- ಕೆಲವು ಶಾಲೆಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಗಣಕಯಂತ್ರ ಇಲ್ಲ ಅಂತಹ ಶಾಲೆಗೆ ಏನು ಮಾಡುವಿರಿ (same schools not computer lab or computer) ?.
- Tulu Sahitya Academy has given the list of all schools where Tulu is being taught. All of them have computers.--Pavanaja (talk) 11:29, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- Text book ಪ್ರತಿವರ್ಷ ಪರಿಷ್ಕರಣ ಗೊಳ್ಳುತ್ತದೆ (version change). ಯೋಜನೆಯನ್ನು ನಾನು ವರ್ಷದ ಹಿಂದೆ ಹೇಗೆ ತಯಾರಿಸಿ ಇಟ್ಟಿದ್ದೇನೆ, ಅದೆ ರೀತಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಇದೆ ಯಾವುದೆ ಬದಲಾವಣೆ ಯಾಕೆ ಆಗಿಲ್ಲ.old statics ಇದರ ಹಿಂದಿರುವ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಉದ್ದೇಶವೇನು?.
- Project has not yet started fully. The list will be updated.--Pavanaja (talk) 11:01, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- ಕಳೆದ ಮೂರು ತಿಂಗಳಿಂದ create wikipedia articles ಯಾವುದೆ reference, links ಇಲ್ಲದ್ದೆ ಇದೆ, ಇದರಿಂದ ಮಕ್ಕಳಿಗೆ ಏನು ಪ್ರಯೋಜನ?.--Lokesha kunchadka (talk) 10:24, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- @Pavanaja: Thank you for submitting this request. I will forward this request to the team. Also, I have few questions.
- How will you promote this project in Tulunadu? And what is the approach of involving college students in series of edit-a-thons?
- In each workshop how many articles you targeted to create? --Gopala (CIS-A2K) (talk) 09:00, 8 July 2019 (UTC)
- @Gopala (CIS-A2K): Thanks for the queries. Here are my responses-
- We will promote this through social media, radio, local TV channels and newspapers. Since Tulu Sahitya Academy is a collaborator, they also will be promoting in their meetings and through their members.
- Most editathons will be conducted at colleges for using computer lab with Internet connections. Students also will be participants in the editathons. Wikipedia Students Associations will be invited to join.
- Total articles needed are about 700. Some are already created. We target to complete the required number of articles not just during the editathons, but also after each editathon. We try to make it a continuous effort. We have seen in the past that the tempo is kept alive by regular editathons. Hence editathons are a must. This also due to the fact that some editors don't have access to infrastructure like computer and Internet at home. They will be making maximum use of editathons.--Pavanaja (talk) 02:09, 9 July 2019 (UTC)
- @Pavanaja: Thank you for your response. The goal of this project looks interesting. There are few comments from team. They are,
- Do you need any other support from CIS-A2K during edit-a-thons such as trainers, resources etc?
- There is an opposition for this request on village pump. How will you solve that.
- Who is responsible for implementation and reporting? Also, can you give us execution team (trainers, coordinators) details. Who will prepare metrics for content generation, uploads, new users etc. --Gopala (CIS-A2K) (talk) 07:28, 10 July 2019 (UTC)
- @Gopala (CIS-A2K): Thanks for the additional queries. Here are my responses-
- We don't need any trainers. CIS-A2K may support by providing other resources like projector, swags, books (if available), etc.
- There is no real opposition. The person who started the project himself has opposed it without giving any logical or scientific reason. I have already answered him in VP itself. He has written that the project has not moved in two years. Yes, we are requesting funds to move and complete the project. That is quite obvious.
- Karavali Wikimedians will be responsible for implementation and reporting. I will create metrics and upload the relevant data. Other key persons will be Dr. Vishwanatha Badikana, Dr. Kisohre Kumar Rai, Bharatesh Alasandemajalu, Dhanalakshmi K T, Vinoda Mamatha Rai. I will be conducting the training supported by Dhanalskhmi K. T. and others. Vishwanatha Badikana and Kishore Kumar Rai will be the coordinators.--Pavanaja (talk) 09:36, 10 July 2019 (UTC)