Set up documentation
This project includes enough people to justify the creation of a public documentation page.
Name of project
I drafted this project page as "Wikibox". There are various working names for this project currently in use. Probably the most common name in use is "Wikipedia in-a-box", but I really did not want to use that name because I know that "in-a-box" is a pain to type and sort because of the hyphens.
"In-a-box" is a synonym for "off-the-shelf", which is a business jargon term for a complicated product which provides a simple user experience to meet a need. I shortened "in-a-box" to box and put the word "wiki" in front of it, because "wiki" and "box" are simple concepts and generic terms which are commonly combined with other words. A Wikibox is "in-a-box" in the sense of being off-the-shelf and also because it is a physical box at the center of its users' attention.
I checked who else is using "wikibox" for a product name. In my opinion, the existing uses of this term do not have a significant relationship with anything in the scope of this project, so I think we could use the name wikibox without infringing on anyone elses product identity.
- I changed the name to be Internet-in-a-box to match "http://internet-in-a-box.org/". The developed name is the right one to use. Blue Rasberry (talk) 22:42, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
Update May 2017
I shared a little update on this project at en:Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Medicine#Deployment_of_devices_sharing_offline_Wikipedia. This project has lots of parts but one thing in common is that WikiProject Medicine on English Wikipedia cares about all of them. Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:12, 31 May 2017 (UTC)
Hard drives accessed via wifi access points:
- XO School Server
- Net Freedom Pioneers
- Storing images
- Module library [current, future; submissions, maintenace; review]
- Licenses per module: PD/BY/SA, NC/ND, right-to-use.
What to include:
- Variations: 1-2 devices; 5 language-versions (en,es,fr,fa,ar); 1-2 sizes (32/64G); 2-3 content elements [Med, WP]
- Make it possible to get 1-10 units shipped [via W-store?]
- How-to: make your own from scratch
From what I understand all the hardware will be ready Sept 29th 2017 for the first 100. This will mean we will just have assembly to take care of. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 12:59, 8 September 2017 (UTC)