Talk:List of Wikimedia birthdays
@GVarnum-WMF: I feel like this would be better generated from central data tables. Affiliate birthdays (or at least official recognition anniversaries) could be pulled from Module:Organizational Informations. We don't have a central dataset for projects, but one could be created, perhaps. (We have the Template:NUMBEROF tables, of course, but nothing for the history.) --Yair rand (talk) 19:45, 18 March 2021 (UTC)
- Also, useful data sources: incubator:Incubator:Site creation log, Wikimedia News tables and archives. --Yair rand (talk) 19:49, 18 March 2021 (UTC)
- @Yair rand: I cannot offer myself or others within the Foundation to support that happening - but I agree it is a reasonable direction to pursue if folks within the community agree and are interested in doing so. --Gregory Varnum (Wikimedia Foundation) [he/him] (talk) 06:18, 1 April 2021 (UTC)
I tried to verify the May dates today and discovered that several may be inaccurate. Specifically, it seems like there are disconnects between when a website was technically created and when a Wikipedia marks their birthday.
For examples, websites for the Spanish, Chinese, and Hebrew Wikipedias were created in May 2001. However, the Spanish Wikipedia celebrates their birthday about a week after the website was technically created, the Chinese Wikipedia says that they were established on 24 October 2002 (when they were first able to use Chinese characters), and the Hebrew Wikipedia marks themselves as starting on July 8, 2003.
With that in mind, GVarnum-WMF has edited this list today to include a new introduction and a new verification template. He and I will also be posting messages in various channels to ask community members to verify what day they celebrate their birthday. (Pinging Virginia Díez (WMES) and Yair rand as previous contributors to this page.) Ed WMF [talk] 16:35, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
- More details, including the still-open question from above:
- The Esperanto Wikipedia seems to celebrate on 6 November.
- The Chinese Wikipedia says that they were established on 24 October 2002 (when they were first able to use Chinese characters)
- The Japanese Wikipedia's article about themselves has 20 May in the infobox
- The Russian Wikipedia was created on 11 May(?) but the Russian Wikipedia's article about themselves has 17 May in the infobox, and the English Wikipedia's anniversary page has 20 May.
- We're pretty confident about the dates given for the Italian, Portuguese, and Swedish Wikipedias, but please correct us if needed! Ed WMF [talk] 19:48, 26 April 2021 (UTC)