Talk:Spam blacklist/Recurring requests
If you are the maintainer of the website, or are otherwise involved in the organization the website belongs to, then your request for removal is very likely to be declined.
Typically, we do not remove domains from the spam blacklist in response to site-owners' requests. Instead, we de-blacklist sites when trusted, high-volume editors request the use of blacklisted links because of their value in support of our projects. If you believe that links to your domain will enhance the content of our projects, you should suggest inclusion of the link on the relevant talk page. In addition, some wikis (like English Wikipedia) have WikiProjects. If there is a project for a subject area related to your domain, you can request that the project review the link. If such an editor asks to use your links, I'm sure the request will be carefully considered and your domain may well be removed.
tinyurl.com and other url compressing/redirecting sites
These urls can be used to abbreviate long URLs, which can certainly be handy, but can also be used to circumvent the blacklist to link to sites which have been blacklisted. They get added to the blacklist without question, and sometimes without widespread abuse. Removal is extremely unlikely - since MediaWiki supports link aliasing, using these services is totally unnecessary.
Blacklisted per a request from Jimbo. It was added with good reason, and until those reasons are invalidated, it's not being removed.
Suite101.com was a source of massive spamming (hundreds of links spammed by multiple Suite101.com editors) on en.wikipedia as well as being cross-wiki spammed across many other projects. In the course of investigating the whole affair, it turned out that Suite101.com:
- Has no editorial oversight and articles are essentially self-published.
- Offers its authors financial incentives to increase page views
- Fails core content policies:
- Previous Suite101.com discussions (this is just a partial list):
- en:Wikipedia talk:Articles for deletion/Suite101.com
- en:Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Spam/2006 Archive Dec#Suite101 dot com
- en:Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Spam/2007 Archive Feb#Suite 101
- en:Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Archive133
- en:Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Suite101.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/2006-12#suite101.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/2007-01#suite101.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/2007-02#Suite101.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/2007-04#beers.suite101.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/2007-08#Suite101.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/2007-10#african-american-playwrights.suite101.com/article.cfm/black_nativity_by_langston_hughes
- Talk:Spam blacklist/2007-12#suite101.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/2008-01#suite101.com - a good overview of the situation at the time
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2008-12#suite101.com again
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2008-12#suite101.com
There's been strong consensus over the last 21 months to keep this domain blacklisted. We continue to get Suite101.com editors trying to get their domains whitelisted. I'd expect another deluge of unreliable spam if we removed this one. Please evaluate critically whether the link enhances the article. If so, request local whitelisting.
- It was thoroughly abused by its owner, represents a fringe POV, is anonymously run, has no documented editorial board or review procedure, and is in sundry ways not a reliable source. The domain offers no utility to offset the past problems.
- Previously declined requests for removal:
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007-08#fisheaters.com/emberdays.html
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007-03#fisheaters.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2006-10#Fish Eaters.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2006-08#fisheaters.com and kensmen.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2006-06#Fisheaters.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2006-05#fisheaters.com.2C kensmen.com
- Added per request. It's definitely not a reliable site, and was spammed cross-wiki.
- Subsequent declined requests for removal:
Associated with the death camps nonsense...
- In addition to the discussions on enwiki where the dispute first arose, there is ample discussion on Meta. These domains were blacklisted because they imported an offsite dispute about which domain was the original to our projects, spammed their domains, edit warred back and forth and generally caused mayhem. As we don't really need the domains, the dispute was ended by simply blacklisting the domains.
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007-04#Intellectual property dispute / deathcamps.org
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2008-03#Deathcamps
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007-05#www.deathcamps.org
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007-12#deathcamps.org
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007-07#www.deathcamps.org
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2006-01#Whale.to
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2006-05#whale.to, vaccination.org.uk
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2006-06#whale.to
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2006-07#www.whale.to/b/ph2.html
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2006-10
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007-02#whale.to
- w:en:Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Whaleto
- w:en:Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Whale.to
A random sampling of pages from 2007:
- whale.to/m/map.html "Medical Mind Control"
- "The methods used by Allopathic Monopoly to suppress the truth. Mostly propaganda---lies, hypnotism and Fearmongering. Aka Mind Control"
- whale.to/w/nat.html "Natural Healing"
- "80% of my patients were well just after doing my thorough bowel cleansing program."
- whale.to/a/medical_mafia.html "The Medical Mafia"
- "The worldwide Elite (Boss) of Allopathy. Aka The Drug Trust, Medical Monopoly, Cartel or Industry. Think IG Farben and Medical Fascism. Only the top people in Allopathy know the whole truth on Allopathic medicine, and covert-vaccine agendas."
- "The Great Lie of Wikipedia: "the....encyclopedia that anyone can edit.""
More whale.to-related stuff:
- w:en:Wikipedia talk:Requests for comment/Ombudsman
- w:en:Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/IncidentArchive92#Long term disruptive user, current excessive unpleasantness
- w:en:Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/IncidentArchive70#Whale.to breaches of WP rules unabated by admin criticism
- w:en:Wikipedia talk:Requests for comment/184.108.40.206
- Note the concerns about outing Wikipedia editors
- w:en:Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/IncidentArchive103User:Pansophia and article Kaiser Permanente, return after block, 9RR, personal attacks, blanking "on departure" of user talk page with warnings...
- w:en:Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Cesar Tort and Ombudsman vs others/Evidence
w:en:User talk:Whaleto -- see page history:
- w:en:Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Spam/2006 Archive Dec#ezinearticles.com links
- w:en:Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Spam/2007 Archive Mar#Spamming through ezinearticles.com to Wikipedia: James B. Allen spam
- Talk:Spam blacklist/2007-05#David Ben-Ariel articles
- Talk:Spam blacklist/2007-05#ezinearticles.com
- w:en:MediaWiki talk:Spam-whitelist/Archives/2007/09#ezinearticles.com
- w:en:MediaWiki talk:Spam-whitelist/Archives/2007/11#ezinezinearticles.com/?What-is-Ergativity?&id=249623
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2008/05#ezinearticles.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2009-05#ezinearticles.com
Links to this site are almost never appropriate, however in some cases whitelisting for some content will be worthwhile. Originally, it was attempted to manage the abuse through other methods such as removing the links and dealing with individual problem editors. However, this was deemed to be too costly, and the entire domain has been blacklisted. The volume of spam and other inappropriate linking is simply too great to manage without doing so. Specific articles which meet inclusion criteria can be whitelisted on the appropriate wiki.
- en:Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Spam/2007 Archive Apr#tutorialspoint.com talentgroups.com amrood.com
- en:Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Spam/2007 Archive Mar#tutorialspoint.com
- en:Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Spam/2007 Archive May#tutorialspoint.com talentgroups.com amrood.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007/03#tutorialspoint.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007/04#www.tutorialspoint.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007/05/Removals: Not Done#tutorialspoint.com
- Talk:Spam blacklist/Archives/2007/05/Removals: Not Done#tutorialspoint
- Talk:Spam_blacklist/Archives/2007-10#tutorialspoint.com (with a quite long discussion)
- may 2010