Talk:Unlock the Secrets of Wikipedia Zero
Discussions about The campaign
A web app suggestion
Recently Google coordinated #freeandopenweb campaign, the cause for a free wikipedia is also a global topic of interest. Inspired by google I propose building a page where people can just sign a petition or share their views on why wikipedia should be free or how wikipedia & wiki-zero proves beneficial to their lives. This page will also take their current location.
Using Google's amazing maps API I am currently building a small web-app which will allow visualization of in two fashions:
- Data in the realtime, Showing icons of geolocations for last 1 hour.
- Heat maps using the complete incoming data.
Added with the text/thoughts we can get we can actually use this application across with its data to the people who make decisions. And in an organized well documented fashion it will deliver a more impulsive impact. The app can make this moment more global.
- Some developers would be nice :D
- Translators for the UI mostly
- Code reviews
- And some place to host this cause if this goes viral
The current code is very basic prototype. Mostly the design part which was done in a hurry but its available at http://github.com/darkyen/projectx
- this is a great idea - what would it take to make an app for android, blackberry or iphone? Vgrigas (talk) 17:44, 28 June 2013 (UTC)
- Actually it wont take anything, I am designing it to be responsive, so its just going to be a url works on Android, Blackberry , iPhone, ( and even new windows phones ). Mostly porting to phones requires shimming things that dont work after testing.. So should be trivial Though on the mobile the UI will be slightly different, since mobile. --Darkyen (talk) 17:57, 28 June 2013 (UTC)
- My realistic estimate for it to be done and mobile ready and be fully functional for testing by Monday Morning. --Darkyen (talk) 18:14, 28 June 2013 (UTC)
- Notably http://chat.stackoverflow.com/rooms/17/ helped design wise, we tried to come up with a user-centric design .. The obvious way to go was follow Google, since we are using Google Maps for the mapping anyways and google holds most of share on maps the maps ui now is familiar to googles. But now placing the "Form" to sign the petition / share your voice is not decided. Anybody have an idea ? The current screenshot http://prntscr.com/1chgad shows the zoom controllers on top left, the top right shows the controllers for map views Data, Heatmaps and Charts. --Darkyen (talk)
- no opposition from me, go for it Victorgrigas (talk) 22:11, 1 July 2013 (UTC)
The page lacks a description. After reading it all, I still have no idea what it is. Perhaps a meetup, or some sort of future event, or a radio interview, I'm unsure. --Nemo 08:40, 2 July 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Nemo, You are right, this is probably confusing to many, we could probably re-word the sentence at the beginning of the page. The page is for collaboration about this grassroots campaign for free access to Wikipedia via cellphones. The page functions as a place for Wikipedians to organize around the effort. So far, a few editors have translated some pages about Sinenjongo High School itself, and User:Darkyen is writing some petitioning software. Please do let me know if there is something specific you need Vgrigas (talk) 21:44, 2 July 2013 (UTC)