Talk:WikiBlind User Group

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Activities[edit]

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to get folks interested in looking at ways in which we can improve accessibility for all visitors to Wikimedia projects, especially the various language versions of Wikipedia.

The mission of the Wikimedia Foundation is to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally.
— Wikimedia Foundation Mission

I take "effectively" to explicitly mean that editors should be doing their best to ensure that content is available to any consumer of that content, regardless of any impairment they may have. This must particularly apply to attempting to reduce or eliminate any disadvantage for any visitor who has a visual impairment.

I'm quite proud of the steps we've taken on the English Wikipedia to address these issues with the en:Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Accessibility guidance for editors, although I recognise how much further we still need to go. Not everybody will want or need such a large piece of content, but I hope I can help anyone who thinks it would be useful to adapt any part of it for use on their local project. I'm also happy to talk about my experiences on enwiki and some of the issues that are likely to arise. --RexxS (talk) 18:35, 1 May 2019 (UTC)

  • Welcome Rexx and thank you for launching this Talk page! I love the quote and your interpretation. I want to riff on that. One of the design concepts within wikiBlind is that we can strive to make it possible for everyone to not only access content but also be able to contribute to the improvements, going from being consumers of knowledge to being participants in the open knowledge movement. Contributing to the collective bodies of human knowledge can be really satisfying and worth the struggle, right? I believe all our designs become a lot more accessible when we include people on the design and test teams who have the lived experience of being blind or differently abled in any of the many ways out here. Diversity on design teams can make such a difference.
  • One of the aspects I like most about how this group is already diverse, international and growing quickly is that we already have enormous talent available within who can already help identify and solve barriers to access and inclusivity. Feel free to reach out to any of us to learn more! DrMel (talk) 01:37, 2 May 2019 (UTC)

Accessibility and Usability links[edit]

Briefly: See mw:Accessibility and usability cleanup

Context: I wanted to point everyone to that linkhub page, where I think we've collated almost all (?!?) of the related existing links. Much help is going to be needed to resolve the existing mess, and to make sure the mess doesn't get much worse. But there's gold in those links! Hopefully knowing about the linkhub can help us prevent wheel-reinvention.

(This is a partial copy of what I wrote at wmania:2019:A11y).

Thanks! Quiddity (talk) 19:32, 1 May 2019 (UTC)

Facebook[edit]

The project page here mentions Facebook, which is a site that many people do not ever use for a variety of reasons. I hope the group can make the contents of those discussions available to those of us who are not on that platform, perhaps in occasional summaries on this talkpage or similar. Thanks! Quiddity (talk) 19:35, 1 May 2019 (UTC)

  • Hi Quiddity! Excellent request - thank you! Because so many non-wikipedians we want to include are on Facebook and other platforms, we very much want to have members talking with each other however we can on the platforms we are already comfortable on, as we explore new possibilities. We also really want to see summaries and cross-posting between the groups! Getting a few volunteers per platform who can summarize and cross post would be ideal, as soon as possible. Lots of volunteers coming in - lots of possible volunteer tasks folks can help with! What else would you like to see as we build out? What would you most like to help with? DrMel (talk) 01:23, 2 May 2019 (UTC)

[edit]

The iconic Wikipedia puzzle piece in black, within which is a white "W". The left hands side of the "W" contains black Braille spelling “wiki”, then two big dots for K on the next section. K represents the word Knowledge in English Grade 2 Braille. The puzzle piece is curves as if from the wikipedia sphere logo and has a slight 3d shading. Surrounded by the blue and red 'wikimedia circle'
current logo
The black Wikipedia "W", which has the leftmost edge replaced by the Braille spelling of “wiki”, and the center section replaced with two big dots for "K", representing the word Knowledge in English Grade 2 Braille (braille readable when logo printed at 7cm).
possible alternative 1
The same as the current logo with a flat, simple, graphic puzzle piece much larger (braille readable when logo printed at 7cm).
possible alternative 2
The same as the current logo with a curved puzzle piece, but the piece is much larger, so overlaps the 'wikimedia circle' that surrounds it. The puzzle piece was traced from the wikimedia logo so has the same proportions (braille readable when logo printed at 7cm).
possible alternative 3

The team over at the Wikimedia commons image lab has helped make an SVG of the logo. checking it, I noticed a couple of elements that I thought might be improved, but I'd like peoples' opinions: The puzzle piece element ends up being very dominant, and the puzzle symbol is rarely used by WikiProjects of User Groups these days. I've designed an alternative possibility that focuses on the Wikipedia "W" rather than the puzzle piece, so that the braille can be made large enough such that it may be readable when printed in relief. No worries if the previous is preferred. I'm also happy to make any other edits that the community wants - especially those with the ability to test it in relief. If someone points me to any guidelines for minimum recommended braille size, I can work out what it would need to be printed at to be readable. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 11:46, 6 May 2019 (UTC)

@Evolution and evolvability: Cool, thanks. These guidelines from the Braille Authority of North America are probably as good a starting point as any. The relevant values seem to be the height, the bass diameter, and the distance between dots in a single cell. Graham87 (talk) 11:54, 6 May 2019 (UTC)
@Graham87: Champion - that's exactly what I was in need of. I'll read up on them and update the design accordingly. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 12:03, 6 May 2019 (UTC)
Based on the guideliens and feedback from DrMel, I've put together a couple of additional logo versions that may be more readable as raised embossed versions (if printed min 7 cm across), and for the partially sighted. I've updated as a list at the top of this section and added them to commons:Category:WikiBlind_User_Group. Hopefully the alt text is clear. I'm happy to make further versions upon request, or to move them to facebook if that's a better place for discussion. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 13:16, 30 May 2019 (UTC)

WikiBlind outreach grant application[edit]

Our first little grant application is live! We'd welcome your reviews, questions, comments and endorsements. Thanks for the encouragement and mentoring! Grants:Project/Rapid/DrMel/wikiBlind_outreach_at_NFB

DrMel (talk) 06:14, 16 May 2019 (UTC)

Data sonifications[edit]

I wanted to share my interest in this group.

I am not blind and I do not have much experience collaborating with people who are blind, but I do projects with data and am interested in data sonification. Presenting charts and graphs in sound form is useful in all sorts of contexts, but I imagine that auditory versions of figures must be of special interest to blind people. I am inexperienced in this field but as an amateur am coordinating a bit to develop Wikidata tools to present results in sound form.

I expect that there are other people like me who do not have experience working with sound, but who have professional reasons associated with new technology to want publishing to be more accessible in ways beyond only visual design. My guess and intuition is that a WikiBlind wiki organization will have quickly grow to have an impact beyond the blind community, and will actually encourage the development of universal accessibility features which benefit everyone. Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:07, 18 May 2019 (UTC)

User Group application[edit]

Hope that when y'all decide to put one in, that it is successful. The sooner the better, so that way a representative from this user group can make it to the Wikimedia Summit in 2020.--RightCowLeftCoast (talk) 23:25, 9 July 2019 (UTC)

13 years[edit]

On 03 February 2006, it was reported to the WMF that our CAPTCHA system discriminates against blind people. See https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T6845

This appears to be a direct violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and leaves Wikipedia open to the possibility of a discrimination lawsuit.

In particular, National Federation of the Blind v. Target Corp. was a case where a major retailer, Target Corp., was sued because their web designers failed to design its website to enable persons with low or no vision to use it.

So why, after 13 years of inaction, do we not have a set of software requirements (including a testable definition of "done") and a schedule for solving this?

And no, I will not accept any proposed "solution" that lacks the name of an WMF employee who has been given the assignment of fixing this, a budget that says how much the WMF expects to spend on solving this, a deadline that say how long the WMF expects it to take to solve this, and a way for an independent third party to look at the results and verify whether the requirements were met.

Regarding hiring someone else to fix this, I would very much like the idea to be given careful consideration rather than being dismissed out of hand. The WMF is great at running an encyclopedia. Nobody else, anywhere on earth, even comes close.

However, running an encyclopedia does not magically confer the ability to create high-quality software, and the WMF has a pretty dismal track record in this area (Examples: Visual Editor, Flow, 13 years of failing to making this obvious but boring improvement to accommodate blind people.)

I realize that this will anger some people, but why should it? Olympic-level athletes don't get angry when you tell them that their athletic ability does not magically confer the ability to repair automobiles or do astronomy.

Comments from the phabricator page:

  • "This doesn't just effect addition of external links, it also prevents new users from registering, requiring them to use ACC to request an account."
  • "There is no one currently assigned to this, so no one is taking it upon him to fix this at this moment. It's also not something that any team at the foundation is responsible for, so it's not likely to be prioritized from that end."
  • The only thing stopping us from having an audio captcha is that nobody's put the work into implementing it yet." --Source: Chief MediaWiki developer as of 2008
  • "So the question is why has work not been put aside to fix an issue of recognised high importance that will, 13 years after first being raised, resolve an issue that results in us discriminating against people who are (in many jurisdictions) a legally protected minority?"

If you would like to comment on this, it is being discussed at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard#13_years

--Guy Macon (talk) 16:01, 15 July 2019 (UTC)

User requests support creating account[edit]

In private OTRS ticket:2019091110005093 user reports difficulty creating a Wikimedia account due to interface inaccessibility for people who are blind. The user cannot get by the Captcha.

I do not know if we have any referral process from this group to such users. Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:55, 11 September 2019 (UTC)

Practically always, the free and open-source captcha and recaptcha codelets or mini code implementations have some sort of smudged or munged or altered or slashed visual image that must be interpreted and typed in, or a collage of crosswalks, bridges, bicycles, cars, buses, traffic lights etc must be clicked on visually in a grid... But nearly all the time, there is a small speaker icon to *hear* the clue audibly instead, and the visually impaired person being challenged by the captcha or recaptcha would then keyboard in or speak / voice to text the response to be admitted. Can the person who is having these problems give us a little more information, perhaps the exact URL that they were at, if possible can they take a screenshot and post it to IMGbb.com or perhaps a friend or family member could screenshot with what they are having an issue? -From Peter {a.k.a. Vid2vid (talk | contribs)} 03:15, 25 April 2020 (UTC).
@Bluerasberry: Um, I thought this page was on my watchlist, but it obviously either never was or I took it off somehow. Therefore, I just got your message. For now, please email either me, Skylar, or Mel. Graham87 (talk) 13:17, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
@Graham87: In the future I will both post here and ping at least one individual. Requests are rare, so I understand why people are not watching this page continuosly. I see in the edit history that you emailed this user about their problem - thanks for that. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:56, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
@Blue Rasberry: If you're referring to this edit summary of mine, I meant that I'd emailed a user I blocked who mistakenly posted to this page, not any blind users needing help creating accounts. Graham87 (talk) 15:02, 16 December 2020 (UTC)

Trying to reach friend "Skylar Covich" - text about him has incorrect Wiki UserID?[edit]

Hi all, I am trying to reach a friend "Skylar Covich" - basically to add him to my User page as a list of Wiki friends!! - Anyhewww, the text about him at This Article has an incorrect Wiki UserID?


Activities
*Skylar Covich (User:Academic Challenger) will be attending the National Federation of the Blind of California convention from November 7-10, in Milpitas, California. He will hand out WikiBlind cards and explain the process of editing Wikipedia.

Thanks if someone has his current Wiki UserID, in advance. Thank you. -From Peter {a.k.a. Vid2vid (talk | contribs)} 03:53, 24 April 2020 (UTC).

@Vid2vid: It's the correct username; see his user page on the English Wikipedia. Graham87 (talk) 13:17, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
Thanks- @Graham87: -- I guess I was surprised to see a Username with a 'space' in it- bad to allow that!! And also he had no "User" Page at that account, which threw me off. Happy Holidays to you and Yours. --From Peter {a.k.a. Vid2vid (talk | contribs)} 00:27, 17 December 2020 (UTC)
@Vid2vid: Usernames with spaces are absolutely allowed ... for instance User talk:Jimbo Wales. And also, after-the-fact pings are not supported. Graham87 (talk) 02:10, 17 December 2020 (UTC)

Announcing collapsed/expanded sections correctly on mobile Wikipedia/mobile views on current MediaWikis[edit]

Hi, I wanted to share a recent technical change, that I hope you find an improvement for screenreader users of mobile Wikipedia et al.

With last weeks deployment, collapsible and expanded states of article sections should be correctly announced. My colleagues Jan Drewniak, Jon Robson and myself have been ideating and implementing the change and received already positive feedback from our external partners of the American Foundation for the Blind. If you have any questions or comments, please let us know on https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T218404 or ping me directly.

PS: Congratulations to the official recognition as user group. –Volker E. (WMF) (talk) 02:18, 2 June 2020 (UTC)

Call for candidates - June 2020[edit]

Hi everyone,

The Affiliations Committee (AffCom) – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing and sustaining Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is seeking new members!

The main role of the AffCom is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and update the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees as well as advise them on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee consists of five to fifteen members, selected at least once every year, to serve two-year terms. As the committee must hold mid-year elections to replenish its members at this time, those joining the committee during the current process will serve a slightly extended term from July 2020 through December 2022.

AffCom continues to closely monitor the Wikimedia 2030 Strategy process initiated in 2016. While the affiliation models continue to be discussed as part of the broader strategy discussion, as no decisions have been made to change the current affiliation models yet, AffCom continues to work in the same manner with regard to affiliate recognitions and intervention support for affiliates with issues of non-compliance in 2020. AffCom continues to process applications for user group and chapter/thematic organization creation, while we await the strategy next steps and begin to prepare for a smooth transition of the committee and affiliates ecosystem to any changing movement structures and systems in 2021.

Being a part of the AffCom requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a mix of different skill sets in our members.

Click here for further details.

James Heilman on behalf of AffCom

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:18, 13 June 2020 (UTC)

Affiliations Committee elections announcement June 2020[edit]

Hi everyone,

This is a friendly reminder that the Affiliations Committee (AffCom) – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing and sustaining Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is seeking new members! The deadline to post your application on the nomination page is 30 June 2020.

  • Application process: Considering the anticipated changes following the Strategy recommendations, we had a limited scope to introduce changes in the process. We have made a small but impactful addition to the application process by introducing the Self Assessment survey form which will help the committee know more about your engagement as endorsements are not consistently shared, may not be representative, and often do not speak to the specific skills needed.
  • Selection process: No change; see: Membership.

If you have any questions, please contact me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to answer questions about our work if this helps people decide to apply. Please distribute this announcement among your networks. Good luck to all the candidates!

On behalf of the committee,

--Rosiestep (talk) 00:49, 19 June 2020 (UTC) via MassMessaging

June 21 All-Affiliates Brand Meeting[edit]

All Wikimedia affiliates are invited to join an urgent All-Affiliates Brand Meeting in two sessions on Sunday June 21, regarding the most recent developments.-- Pharos (talk) 19:59, 19 June 2020 (UTC)

Email Volunteer Response team ticket[edit]

This is a message from the email Volunteer Response Team or OTRS.

There seems to me nothing private in this message, but we assume that emails to info@wikimedia.org are private. The user is blind and asks an accessibility question. I am not sure where to send them. Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:26, 22 June 2020 (UTC)

  • What is he asking about? If is an accessibility related "how to" question, you or some of us might know the answer. Regards. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 13:25, 27 June 2020 (UTC)

Feedback on movement names[edit]

There are a lot of conversations happening about the future of our movement names. We hope that you are part of these discussions and that your community is represented.

Since 16 June, the Foundation Brand Team has been running a survey in 7 languages about 3 naming options. There are also community members sharing concerns about renaming in a Community Open Letter.

You should have received a separate affiliate survey via email. If you have not, feel free to email brandproject(_AT_)wikimedia.org.

Our goal in this call for feedback is to hear from across the community, so we encourage you to participate in the survey, the open letter, or both. The survey will go through 7 July in all timezones. Input from the survey and discussions will be analyzed and published on Meta-Wiki.

Thanks for thinking about the future of the movement --The Brand Project team, 13:37, 2 July 2020 (UTC)

Note: The survey is conducted via a third-party service, which may subject it to additional terms. For more information on privacy and data-handling, see the survey privacy statement.

Announcing a new wiki project! Welcome, Abstract Wikipedia[edit]

Hello everyone. I am posting the announcement below, which you may have missed elsewhere, and in the hope that you can share it with your local communities. Please note that it may be available in your language at m:Special:MyLanguage/Abstract Wikipedia/July 2020 announcement. Thanks for your attention! m:User:Elitre (WMF)


New Research: Characterizing Existing Practices for Identifying and Mitigating Knowledge Gaps[edit]

Hi All,

My name is Jim Maddock, and I’m with a researcher at Northwestern University working on identifying missing content on Wikipedia. As a first step, we want to talk to members of Wikipedia’s editor community to better understand how editors currently identify and add missing content. Participants must be Wikipedia editors who speak English and will be compensated for their time.

For more details about our project, please refer to our project meta page. If you are interested in participating, please fill out this screener and consent form. Additionally, feel free to reach out to me at maddock@u.northwestern.edu if you have any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Study Information[edit]

Study Title: Characterizing Existing Practices for Identifying and Mitigating Knowledge Gaps

PI: Darren Gergle

IRB Study #: STU00212033

Cheers, Jmads-nu (talk) 16:13, 4 August 2020 (UTC)

Sunday August 23: Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Strategic flock of Wikimedians heading in a new direction.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a proposed forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

The idea is to follow up on the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting and other strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 21:40, 20 August 2020 (UTC)

Sunday September 20 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Birds of a feather flock together.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August SWAN meeting and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday September 20, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 01:38, 18 September 2020 (UTC)

Movement Strategy - What Are Your Choices For Implementation[edit]

Hello WikiBlind User Group,

The time has come to put Strategy into work and everyone's invited to participate.

The Movement Strategy Design Group and Support Team are inviting you to organize virtual meetings with your community and colleagues before the end of October. The aim is for you to decide what ideas from the Movement Strategy recommendations respond to your needs and will have an impact in the movement. The recommendations are available in different formats and in many languages. There are 10 awesome recommendations and close to 50 recommended changes and actions or initiatives. Not everything will be implemented. The aim of prioritization is to create an 18-month implementation plan to take some of the initiatives forward starting in 2021.

Prioritization is at the level of your group, affiliate, and community. Think local and relevant! Regional and thematic platforms are great ways to prepare and share ideas. Afterwards, we will come together in November to co-create the implementation plan. More information about November’s global events will be shared soon. For now and until the end of October, organize locally and share your priorities with us.

You can find guidance for the events, the simple reporting template, and other supporting materials here on Meta. You can share your results directly on Meta, by email, or by filling out this survey. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or comments, strategy2030(_AT_)wikimedia.org

We will be hosting office hours to answer any questions you might have, Thursday October 1 at 14.00 UTC (Google Meet).

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 16:18, 25 September 2020 (UTC)

Sunday October 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Friendship is a movement value.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the September and August SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday October 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 17:43, 20 October 2020 (UTC)

Join the Global Conversations on November 21 and 22[edit]

Hola, こんにちは, E kaabo, Ciao, ਸਤਿ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ, Hello, سلام, Halo, Salut, 你好, Nnọọ, হ্যালো, Hallo, สวัสดี, Dzień dobry, Gyebale ko, வணக்கம், Mi Kwabo, ନମସ୍କାର, приветствие, שלום, Mholo, नमस्ते, γεια, Ahoj, ഹലോ, 여보세요, مرحبا, Բարեւ Ձեզ, Xin chào, Hallå, ಹಲೋ, Sawubona, નમસ્તે, Здраво, Merhaba, Talofa, హలో, Olá, ನಮಸ್ಕಾರ

WikiBlind User Group, we would love to see you at the upcoming Movement Strategy Global Conversations. It’s been a while.

The Movement Strategy Global Conversations will take place on Saturday November 21, 11:00 to 15:00 UTC, and Sunday November 22, 17:00 to 21:00 UTC, and you are warmly invited.

The focus will be to look at priorities identified by communities and affiliates, and to begin to create a movement-wide implementation plan for 2021. The main sessions will be in English. Any group interested to support live interpretation in another language may be able to receive a rapid grant. Let us know as soon as possible.

Please register by Nov. 20 so we can share the Zoom login information with you. If you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Support Team via Telegram, Wikimedia Chat or by email at strategy2030(_AT_)wikimedia.org.

Looking forward to seeing you on November 21 or 22.

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 16:05, 16 November 2020 (UTC)

Call for insights on ways to better communicate the work of the movement[edit]

The Movement Strategy recommendations published this year made clear the importance of establishing stronger communications within our movement. To this end, the Foundation wants to gather insights from communities, including affiliates, on ways we all might more consistently communicate about our collective work, and better highlight community contributions from across the movement. Over the coming months, we will be running focus groups and online discussions to collect these insights. We hope your affiliate will decide to share your thoughts by participating in a focus group or joining the discussion on Meta-Wiki.

ELappen (WMF) (talk) 18:54, 18 November 2020 (UTC)

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 18:52, 24 November 2020 (UTC)

Global Conversations continue on December 5 and 6[edit]

Hola, こんにちは, Ciao, Hello, سلام, Halo, Salut, 你好, Nnọọ, হ্যালো, Hallo, สวัสดี, Dzień dobry, வணக்கம், приветствие, שלום, Mholo, हैलो, γεια, Ahoj, ഹലോ, 여보세요, مرحبا, Բարեւ Ձեզ, Olá, Xin chào, Hallå, ಹಲೋ, Sawubona, Здраво, Merhaba, Talofa, హలో

Global Conversations Dec. 5 & 6

Hi WikiBlind User Group. 250 people participated in virtual Global Conversations that took place on November 21 and 22. The conversation continues on December 5 and 6 and we warmly invite you to take part. Registration is open until December 4. Looking forward to seeing you.

Since September, many groups have shared their local, regional, and thematic priorities for implementing the Movement Strategy recommendations. During the first set of Global Conversations on Nov. 21 and 22, we focused on initiatives that should be globally prioritized and coordinated. We invite you to read the selected global priorities. What do you like about them? What is missing? And what would make you want to play an active role in implementation? Share your thoughts in advance and continue the conversation on December 5 and 6.

Looking forward to seeing you again, or for the first time, on December 5 and 6.

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 20:58, 25 November 2020 (UTC)

Fourteen Years[edit]

On 03 February 2006, it was reported to the WMF that our CAPTCHA system discriminates against the visually impaired. See phabricator T6845 and phabricator T241921.

This appears to be a direct violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and leaves Wikipedia open to the possibility of a discrimination lawsuit.

In particular, National Federation of the Blind v. Target Corp. was a case where a major retailer, Target Corp., was successfully sued because their web designers failed to design its website to enable persons with low or no vision to use it.

So why, after 14 years of inaction, do we not have a set of software requirements (including a testable definition of "done") and a schedule for solving this?

I am left with these known facts:

  • For 14 years the WMF has failed to assign a single employee or contractor the task of fixing this problem.
  • For 14 years the WMF has failed to budget a single dollar towards fixing this.
  • For 14 years the WMF has failed to provide any estimate of how long it is expected to take to fix this.
  • For 14 years the WMF has failed to create any requirements for fixing this. (Note: "Requirements" is geek talk for "please define what 'done' is and tell us exactly how how we will recognize that whoever is working on this is done").
  • For 14 years the WMF has failed to make a plan for an independent third party (which in this case means "someone with a visual impairment accessing Wikipedia with a screen reader") to look at the results and verify whether the requirements were met.

If the WMF is not capable of solving this, why have we not put out a call for proposals in order to find someone who can?

You can expect me to bring this up again when we hit 15 years of Wikipedia violating the Americans with Disabilities Act, as I have for the last four years. :( --Guy Macon (talk) 13:42, 2 December 2020 (UTC)

part of Wikimedia 2030[edit]

Dear WikiBlind User Group,
we are a small team of humans and want to improve accessibility of Wikipedia for visually impaired people people especially picture descriptions via alt-texts. We have the possibility to have a lightning talk at WM2030 today, these is the content of our sheet:



Braille QuoteOpen.svg
Let’s contribute to the accessibility of Wikipedia.
We are a network of blind and sighted people who are working together in several projects on the topic of blindness and pictures since 2011. Thus we became experts in alt-texts and image descriptions.
Therefore we would collaborate in Wikimedia-Wikis and outreach to schools and universities to motivate them to have their students write alt-texts and image descriptions for images in Wikipedia.
We are looking for Wikimedians who want to foster accessibility and software developers who help us to adjust the upload-wizard and to implement these ideas open in structured data.


We want to invite you to work together as a little movement and are interessted in your knowledge and wishes - maybe we can put your ideas into the talk today also! Feel free to give us thinkings and feedback right here. We will start a WikiProject in german Wikipedia für "Barrierefreiheit" (accessibility) next time (draft is ready) and would be very happy to make an english project-page too or join into your working pages.

The plan is in short to improve alt-texts for people over all Wikimedia-Projects organized via Structured Commons or Wikidata. Thanks for your time, happy to read your words and concepts/thinkings, Conny (talk) 06:14, 5 December 2020 (UTC).

Alt-Texts need your support[edit]

Hey, please support this proposal. You can also share this to other Users. Thank you very much, Regards, Conny (talk) 15:53, 12 December 2020 (UTC).

Strong Support! -Filipinayzd (talk) 10:00, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
I have voiced my opinion there. Graham87 (talk) 13:17, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
I have voiced my opinion Support Support --Nehaoua (talk) 18:16, 16 December 2020 (UTC)

Request for text to speech in Gujarati[edit]

At private Volunteer Response Team ticket:2020121810002921 a user requests Gujarati text to speech support due to visual impairment. About 60 million people speak this Indic language.

Wikispeech is our native tool which likely will not be developed before several years. I know of nothing more to share. @Graham87: I could tell the user this situation. Any other advice, or did you want to try to respond? Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:24, 21 December 2020 (UTC)

@Bluerasberry: eSpeak supports Gujarati, along with many many other languages. Graham87 (talk) 02:13, 22 December 2020 (UTC)
@Graham87: Great, I replied to them with that information.
Yes check.svg Resolved.
Blue Rasberry (talk) 02:26, 22 December 2020 (UTC)

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 18:41, 1 January 2021 (UTC)

Thank you Wikipedians![edit]

Wikipedia has truly made a difference in my life. Every time I have a question, I can search online and almost instantly click on the link to Wikipedia and have a detailed answer immediately that’s well-sourced and reliable, almost every time. Even for breaking news, where it’s hard to tell where to find facts.

The past 20 years have been amazing to watch and be part of here. Thank you for launching WikiBlind to help all of us feel less like we are just consuming the knowledge and giving us ways to participate. Thank you to every Wikipedian who has made this resource what it is today, and working toward what it can be tomorrow. #wikikind #wikilove —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 2601:600:a180:31f0:7520:575b:3a46:adda (talk) 19:01, 13 January 2021 (UTC)

Page view statistics as of 14 January 2021[edit]

Just went to look at our wikiblind page view statistics. 510 Views in last 90 days - looking forward to watching the numbers climb in the months to come. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by DrMel (talk) 02:28, 15 January 2021 (UTC)