Work lists - مقالات للبدء
There is now a page for work lists at WikiProject Arabic/Worklists - مقالات للبدء.
DC-Levant meeting at Wikimania 2017
This is a summary of some of the discussion that started at Wikimania in Montreal.
- Much of what is to be done is just basic planning, making lists and linking pages together. We can do a lot of planning by email.
- If we have feasible to-do lists we can set up a date for a virtual/joint editathon pretty easily.
- Likely topics: Medieval women in the Levant, poets, science, women scientists, geographic locations.
- It is good to offer a variety of topics for people to translate - say, poets, science topics, and geographic locations. They can pick what they know or are comfortable with or are interested in.
- There is a list of medieval women in the Levant, for whom there are sources. (We have this at WikiProject Arabic/Medieval Arabic women poets)
- We need an event page started for making lists. (We have this now, see WikiProject Arabic/Worklists - مقالات للبدء.)
- Women in Red is too busy to really participate.
- We don’t need funding.
- There is interest in running a contest.
- There is interest in collaborating with another language wiki.
- There is in interest in finding archival photographs, maybe Palestine, to upload.
- There is interest in the medical part of Arabic Wikipedia
- Initiate another contest some time this year and we can use "Women" as a theme.
- Stable lists for participants to use from.
- Contests should award points for any tasks that consume some amount of time, not just for Good Article status.
- People are looking for a "contest-bot".
- ORES might be used to measure progress, but does not have to be started right away, it can be done retroactively.
New page is up for September Mini-salon.
Wikidata item disappeared again
A Wikidata item Entity Q33373545 has disappeared from WikiProject Arabic/Medieval Arabic women poets. Some of these disappeared before, but Lydia (Lydia Pintcher of WMDE) got them restored for us at Wikimania. They are not supposed to delete these items if they are being used on a project page. I have made an inquiry about it at the Wikidata deletion talk page. Avery Jensen (talk) 00:18, 10 September 2017 (UTC)
WikiProject Arabic user box
Bridges across Cultures contest
Bridges across Cultures Oct. 15 – Nov.15
Here are some photos of the meetups. WikiProject_Arabic/Photos
Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in Jordan
Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in Jordan is from June 1-30. In most other countries the contest ended in May, but most of Jordan will be observing Ramadan until June 14.
'Wiki Loves Earth 2018 Jordan' , is a national photo contest dedicated to Jordan's natural heritage.
The contest begins from June 1 to June 30, 2018.
Wiki Loves Earth aims to encourage the enhancement of protected natural areas through Wikimedia projects (mainly the Wikipedia encyclopedia and Wikimedia Commons library of multimedia).
The Goal of the Wiki Loves Earth contest is to encourage everyone to participate in the presentation of the natural heritage. by photographs of these natural areas and share them under a free license (CC - by - sa) to allow its free sharing and exploitation.
Each of you is invited to photograph the Jordanian nature. This contest is a way to educate Jordanians to their own heritage, to create a link of proximity with it.
The rules for choosing this year's photos are simple but meaningful the photos must be
- Uploaded during the contest period
- Be taken in Jordan
- Have a resolution greater than 2 MB to go to international competition
- Not containing too much editing
Thank you to everyone who worked on this on short notice. Her death sentence has been overturned (see Twitter), her mother visited her in prison, and there are more appeals underway. More than a million people signed the petition, and there are now articles in Czech, German, and Russian.
This was covered in Sudan by BBC Arabic and Amnesty International, but there was little coverage in local Arabic press. While the English article en:Noura Hussein has around 3000 pageviews, the Arabic article ar:قضية نورا حسين got over 6000. There were a thousand pageviews alone on the day the sentence was overturned. (See Pageviews Analysis)
Since the page was created, the story has been covered by multiple Arabic-speaking outlets, including:
- Youm7 
- Al Araby Al-Jadeed 
- Monte Carlo Doualiya 
- Alhurra 
- Al-marsd 
- Akhbar el-Yom 
- Sudanile 
Inter WikiWomen Collaboration
Inter WikiWomen Collaboration is having an international collaboration from August 15 to August 31, 2018 to write articles about women.
Arabic Wikipedia DayArabic Wikipedia Day!
Some numbers for the eventsArabic Wikipedia Day Edit-a-thon we participated in on July 29, 2017 are now available at the Programs & Events Dashboard https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/
Numbers for the Arabic Wikipedia Day Edit-a-thon
Here are the stats:
20 Articles Created 73 Articles Edited 183 Total Edits 9 Editors 62.9K Bytes Added 101K Article Views 5 Commons Uploads
I have now added the information for the September Mini-salon, and it has given me a message:"Update scheduled. The data will be updated along with all current programs during the next update cycle. This typically takes several hours." So I will try to post that the next time I am online.
Someone is also looking for comment about event tools and the Program and Events Dashboard on these pages:
- Event Tool metrics—tell us what you want
- Talk:Community Tech/Tools for program and event organizers
- Community Tech/Tools for program and event organizers/metrics produced by existing tools
We are on Wikidata
We now have our own WikiData item! Actually we had it a long time ago thanks to Harej, but I just discovered it when someone linked it to Commons. https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q21829387 Avery Jensen (talk) 00:03, 5 December 2018 (UTC)
Consultation about talk pages
Request here from WMF employee on my Arabic Wikipedia talk page. There is already an Arabic language consultation page here: ويكيبيديا:استشارة صفحات النقاش 2019. Answered on his meta talk page here (can't seem to edit his talk page on arwiki). Avery Jensen (talk) 19:57, 16 March 2019 (UTC)
Arabic language instructional videos
- Also Arabic training materials from WikiEd https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/Newsletter/June_2016/New_training_materials_in_Arabic_by_WMIL 18.104.22.168 02:24, 13 April 2019 (UTC)
Talk page consultation
The five questions (from this answer):
- When you want to discuss a topic with your community, what tools work for you, and what problems block you? Why?
- How newcomers use talk pages and what blocks them from using it?
- What do others struggle with in your community about talk pages?
- What do you wish you could do on talk pages, but can't due to the technical limitations?
- What are the important aspects of a "wiki discussion"?
Wiki Warsha - training in Arabic
New instructional website for Arabic Wikipedia. http://wikiwarsha.org/
From Education mailing list https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgxwDrbzMLQpNvqrCqdwnpvkjCGbW