Talk:WikiWomen's User Group

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Contents

Learning Quarterly: January 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 15 / January 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:45, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Place to add women's bios for translation to other language wikis[edit]

A twitter convo this morning led to some ideas about a place where we could share women's biographies to be translated into other languages. While we have Wikidata lists, this might be something a little different. Do you think this would be a good project for Meta? Megalibrarygirl (talk) 17:46, 14 March 2018 (UTC)

Share your feedback in this global Wikimedia survey[edit]

Dear Wikimedia Affiliates,
My name is María Cruz and I work for the Wikimedia Foundation on the Learning and Evaluation team. In one week or so, the Foundation is starting a global survey to learn about the experiences and feedback of Wikimedians. I am writing here, because I wanted to share with you a bit more about the project.
The survey is called "Wikimedia Communities and Contributors" and is conducted annually. We will send the survey to editors across all the Wikimedia projects, as well as Wikimedia affiliates and volunteer developers. This survey is going to be our way of making sure that we can hear feedback from a significant number of users from across the projects. This research supports editors and Wikipedia’s mission. This is our second annual CE Insights survey, and we look forward to improving it every year.
We will be contacting 2 people from each affiliate, based on the primary contact information that we have. Each affiliate will receive an additional third link which they can distribute to any leader in their chapter or user group.
Go to the project page to see the results of last year’s survey, and to see how your feedback helps the Wikimedia Foundation support communities. You can sign up to be notified about the results of the survey, or to learn how you can help with planning the survey next year.
If you have any questions or concerns about this project, please feel free to send them to Edward Galvez's talk page on Meta-Wiki or email him directly at surveys@wikimedia · org in any language. You can learn more about this project and read about frequently asked questions. You can also share your feedback on Meta-Wiki.

Thank you for your time supporting this project!
María Cruz


MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:42, 19 March 2018 (UTC)

Wikimedia conference 2018 in Berlin[edit]

Hi, as I was one of the representents of the wikiwomen user group in Berlin, I wish to make a first short preliminary report for you all, I will make a more complete report later.

The wikimedia conference took place this week end and was preceded by learning days. The main objective of the conference was to work on the 2030 wikimedia strategic directions.

To know more about the conference[edit]

The first thing we did was strike the pose to symbolize the 2030 strategic directions, which was actually filmed here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_Conference_2018_%E2%80%93_Videos. Then several meetings were held resulting in quite radical notes being put up on a big board (like "Wikimedia has to turn from a cathedral to a bazaar"), and later working groups gathered to make propositions about how and who would implement these directions. At the end of the conference on sunday, Ryan Merkley Creative Commons CEO described the radical changes undertaken by his movement in 2015, and encouraged us "weird people" to be bold and move forward with the "hot potatoe" (it was actually an awesome and funny speech).

Learning days[edit]

One of the workshop worthy of attention for our group was Susa's new booklet about Keeping events safe. We are encouraged by Susa to report after each events even the smaller incident (and also when things went well) in order for them to get a broader picture of toxic behaviors. What may seem as a minor incident for one person, may take more significant meaning in the case when evidence about repeated inappropriate behavior is being reported by multiple persons who might not know each other.

Wikiwomen meetup[edit]

Camelia Boban presented wikidonne, Mckenzie Art+feminism and we also got to know about #VisibleWikiWomen from Marianna Fossatti. The great postcards generated by this project were distributed during the conference.

We then discussed about the need for cross wiki and cross project cooperation and sisterhood, as well as the challenges to help new leaders emmerge (let alone from contributors pasionate about the gender gap). We organized into workshops that will work further in the future on the following subjects: leadership, policy, harrassment, allyship, connection. We were lucky to have Alex Wang (WMF) and User:CSteigenberger (WMF). A few photos:

WMCON 2018 by dyolf77 DSC 8247
WMCON 2018 by dyolf77 DSC 8252

useful ressources and tools[edit]

  • Dashboard: Sage Ross. Sage has updated the dashboard since its creation, enabling the collection of data measuring online impact of editathons. I have asked Sage and James Hare (see below) if it was possible to envisage having the dashboard measure the impact of recurring events (like meetups).

Interactive map & calendar of gender gap events[edit]

I have discussed with @Rosiestep, Shouston (WMF), Camelia.boban, CALEIDOSCOPIC, Mckensiemack, and Shanluan: about creating a interractive calendar and map that would list all online and offline events related to gender gap. Here are some exemples allready used in the movement: Interractive map on les sans pagEs : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projet:Les_sans_pagEs/Calendrier Calendar designed by @0x010C: (the francophone community asked for such a calendar) on meta : Wikimédia France/Actions. @Pyb: the president of the Wikimedia France chapter said there was only a piece of code missing to make an interracitve map, so I asked @Harej (WMF): if something could be done about it, and the tool included in his project of designing a Tool database (Toolhub).

#Goatification[edit]

How to grow a movement in just 3 days? Things learned from #Goatification

Although to some this whole viral thing about goats might seem crazy, the presentation about goatification gave very useful insights on how to have fun and foster attention on a subject by using a symbole anyone can relate to: a goat is agile, witty, and although female, has a beard. Fostering curiosity around a subject and making people laugh helped ease some conflicts: it is hard to be really angry with someone when one has laughed together so much about a goat. Here is a selfie with the two wikidata female brains behind the whole thing : Birgit Müller and Rachel Farrand :

Wikimedia Conference 2018 – 076

I will continue to update this section about what went on at the conference and hope others will join to share what we learned.--Nattes à chat (talk) 23:06, 23 April 2018 (UTC)

I have tranlated this into French for the francophone community here.

Learning Quarterly: June 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 16 / June 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:45, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Reflection on attendance at Wikimedia Conference 2018 (and Wikimania)[edit]

Having attend Wikimedia Conference this year as a WikiWomen's User Group representative and also having recently attend Wikimania in Cape Town, I wanted to reflect on these events as they relate to moving forward on gender issues in our movement and share these with the group.

WmCon2018 LearningDays

Wikimedia Conference this year focused heavily on strategy and steps forward for our Movement and I was pleased that there were many sessions and conversations that revolved around diversity and equity issues, whether that be implicitly or explicitly. I especially found Learning Days sessions (at both Wikimedia Conference and Wikimania) to be useful programming for both new and experienced Wikipedians to engage thoughtfully around our problems and finding steps forward - especially when thinking about how to engage new users. I find it difficult to discuss our problems with new partners and potential editors and to then build sustainable models but the intense collaboration of Learning Days was helpful in this regard.

At Wikimania this year, I presented at Learning Days about educational programming around the gender gap and a presented at the poster session about a gender based service learning project I've piloted in the United States with four partner universities. I'm so pleased that I was able to build on my learnings and experiences from my Wikimedia Conference attendance at Wikimania this year.

WikiWomen Meetup at WMCON 2018

Some personal highlights from Wikimedia Conference were the WikiWomen meetup where some great information was shared and helpful workshopping occurred, the Whose Knowledge? presentation by Siko Bouterse about centering marginalized knowledge, and the Whose Knowledge? visibility gap presentation at the WikiWomen meetup event. There were so many collaborative conversations and learnings and I especially appreciated the conversations that focused on sourcing of articles and notability guidelines in our community and how these are barriers to entry/access and visibility for many. I hope we can continue these conversations here and keep discussing paths forward.

I'm appreciative of the opportunity to attend both conferences, especially Wikimedia Conference as a WWUG representative, and I'm invigorated by the work we are all doing to further equity on within the Wikimedia projects. Now that the Movement Strategy groups have been selected, I am hopeful for more opportunities for diversity based approaches for our community. Kellyjeanne9 (talk) 17:43, 28 July 2018 (UTC)

Join us on The AfroCine Project[edit]

Africa (orthographic projection).svg
Video-x-generic.svg

Greetings!

This is to introduce you to a new Wikimedia project called The AfroCine Project. This new project is dedicated to improving the coverage of the history, works, people, places, events, etc, that are associated with the cinema, theatre and arts of Africa, African countries, the Caribbean, and the diaspora. If you would love to be part of this (or you're already active in this area), by coordinating local programmes around African cinema (independently or otherwise) in your community or local Wikipedia, kindly list your username or organization as a participant on the meta project page here.

Furthermore, In the months of October and November, we are organizing a global contest and edit-a-thon tagged: The Months of African Cinema. If you would love to join this exciting event, also list your username as a participant on the English Wikipedia page. If you would love to lead this contest (or any other relevant program) for a non-English Wikipedia community, please feel free to translate the English Wikiproject page to your local language Wikipedia, or you can create one from scratch!

If you have any questions, complaints, suggestions, etc., please reach out to me personally on my talkpage or the project talkpage! Cheers!--Jamie Tubers (talk) 20:50, 5 September 2018 (UTC)

Virtual Community Event - Gender Equity Report -- Oct 9th at 1555 UTC[edit]

What are the most pressing issues currently facing the Wikimedia movement with respect to advancing gender equity? What strategies are effective for closing the gender gap in content and contributors? What work has already been done? Join us for a community presentation on October 9 to hear how 65 prominent leaders of gender equity projects responded to these and other questions. We'll discuss highlights from the recently published report, Advancing Gender Equity: Conversations with movement leaders, share ways that you can support gender equity projects in your communities, and have space for discussion. For an overview of the project, check out the recent blog post! Event logistics:

  • Date: Tuesday, October 9, 2018
  • Time: 1555-1700 UTC (please join 5 minutes before the hour to allow for troubleshooting technical issues)
  • Information about joining the event, along with discussion questions, are posted here.

Hope to see you there! (Sent on behalf of @Alex Wang and Marti Johnson). --Rosiestep (talk) 23:41, 1 October 2018 (UTC)

Welcome to the Months of African Cinema![edit]

Africa (orthographic projection).svg
Video-x-generic.svg

Greetings!

The AfroCine Project welcomes you to October, the first out of the two months which has been dedicated to improving contents that centre around the cinema of Africa, the Caribbean, and the diaspora.

This is a global online edit-a-thon, which is happening in at least 5 language editions of Wikipedia (en, he, es, it, bn) and Wikidata. Join us in this exciting venture, by helping to create or expand articles which are connected to this scope.

On English Wikipedia, we would be recognizing Users who are able to achieve the following:

  • Overall winner (1st, 2nd, 3rd places)
  • Country Winners
  • Diversity winner
  • High quality contributors
  • Gender-gap fillers
  • Page improvers
  • Wikidata Translators

For further information about the contest, the recognition categories and how to participate, please visit the contest page here.

If you'd love to organize this contest for your local wiki or organize in-person events centred around this project, or you need further information about the AfroCine Project, please leave a message on the project talkpage. See you around :).--Jamie Tubers (talk) 22:50, 03 October 2018 (UTC)

Help propose measurements about the effectiveness of blocks[edit]

The Anti-Harassment Tools team plans to generate baseline data to determine the effectiveness of blocks and we'd like to hear from users who interact with blocked users and participate in the blocking process to make sure these measurements will be meaningful.

In particular, I would like to learn ideas from people familiar with the gender gap on Wikipedia about how we can measure if partial blocks will increase or decrease systemic bias in articles. And how will we know if partial blocks increases of decreases the ability of women or people who identify as binary to add relevant content to Wikipedia articles?

The full commentary and details on how these will be measured are under § Proposed Measurements.

Talk to us on Meta to join the larger discussion. Or I will be monitoring comments on this page. SPoore (WMF) , Trust and Safety Specialist, Community health initiative (talk) 20:34, 8 October 2018 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: November 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 17 / November 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:10, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

Representation at the Wikimedia summit[edit]

Hi who is going to represent us at the wikimedia conference this year? see : https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Summit_2019/Eligibility_Criteria Nattes à chat (talk) 12:24, 16 December 2018 (UTC)

Hi Nattes à chat. This year, it will be SusunW. A co-founder of Gender Diversity Visibility Community User Group, she is one of the original coordinators at Women in Red, and a member of the movement strategy Diversity Working Group. I believe she has already registered. --Rosiestep (talk) 15:40, 16 December 2018 (UTC)
Hi Nattes à chat. I have already registered and they have already arranged my airline tickets. Am excited to go and truly appreciate representing WWUG. SusunW (talk) 17:03, 16 December 2018 (UTC)

2018 Affiliations Committee call for candidates[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee.

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!

The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee can include up to fifteen members, roughly half of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. Those joining the committee during the current process will serve a two-year term ending in December 2020.

Key skills

Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members, including the following key skills and experience:

- Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
- Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliation, and similar topics.
- Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly two-hour voice/video meeting.
- International orientation.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
- Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organizing are a plus.
- Skills in other languages are a major plus.
- Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
- Strong track record of effective collaboration (such as evidenced skills at facilitation, mediation, negotiation, and so forth) are a major plus.
- Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.

We are looking for people who are excited by the challenge of empowering volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world. In exchange, committee members selected will gain the experience of supporting their world-wide colleagues to develop their communities as well as personal development in guiding organizational development, facilitating affiliate partnerships, and professional communications.

Selection process

As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2018 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/December 2018, and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.

At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, Wikimedia Foundation staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2019, with new members expected to join later that month.

How to apply

If you are interested in joining the committee, please post your application on the nomination page and send an email announcing your application to affcom@lists.wikimedia.org by 31 December 2018. Your application must include the following information:

- Your full name and Wikimedia username
- A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.
- Answers to the following three questions:

  1. How do you think affiliates work best together to partner on effective projects and initiatives?
  2. What do you see as the role of affiliates in the Wikimedia movement in the next three years?
  3. What do you feel you will bring to the committee that makes you a uniquely qualified candidate?


If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!

Best regards,
Kirill Lokshin
Chair, Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 06:25, 17 December 2018 (UTC)

New Affiliations Committee appointments[edit]

AffCom is excited to share with you the news that the Wikimedia Foundation Board has unanimously approved the changes to the Bylaws during the last Board meeting on January 30, 2019.

This change allows the participation of User Groups in the Affiliate-selected Board seats (ASBS) 2019 process.

To read the Board's announcement, please click here

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:45, 21 February 2019 (UTC)

Help us make Wikipedia talk pages more accessible to more participants[edit]

Hello!

Our team at the Wikimedia Foundation is working on a project to improve the ease-of-use and productivity of wiki talk pages. As an affiliate, I can imagine you’ve run into challenges explaining talk pages to first-time participants, or it is an consultation that would interest your members.

We want all contributors to be able to talk to each other on the wikis – to ask questions, to resolve differences, to organize projects and to make decisions. Communication is essential for the depth and quality of our content, and the health of our communities.

We're currently leading a global consultation on how to improve talk pages, and we're looking for groups that can discuss and report on their experiences using (or helping other people to use) wiki talk pages. We'd like to invite you to participate, with the user groups that you belong to. You can learn more about the consultation at Mediawiki.org and if you're interested in hosting a group discussion (on-wiki or off-wiki), you can sign up at the participant sign-up group.

If you’d like to participate or if you have any questions, please contact us and let us know. The more people participate from many horizons, the better the outcome will be.

Thank you! Trizek (WMF) 15:29, 8 March 2019 (UTC)

March 2019 at Women in Red[edit]

Women in Red logo.svg
March 2019, Volume 5, Issue 3, Numbers 107, 108, 112, 113


Happy Women's History Month from Women in Red!

AF Logo+Mark 1.png
Visible Wiki Women campaign official logo.png
Map-Francophonie organisation en.svg

Please join us for these virtual events:


Other ways you can participate:


Subscription options:

--Rosiestep (talk) 18:56, 11 March 2019 (UTC)

Call for complementary facilitators and more to get the ASBS 2019 process started![edit]

User (13635) - The Noun Project.svg

Hi everyone, hope all is fine with you!

The next weeks will be intense, as affiliates figure out their participation in the process that will soon select 2 people for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. Since new Bylaws established that the user groups are for the first time going to be involved in such process, a lot more support than before is certainly going to be necessary, among other things, for big and healthy conversations on the topic. Hence, please encourage members of your group to become a complementary facilitator, or sign up yourself! You can add yourself to the list on Meta or reply to me to flag availability. One person from the facilitators group should soon be selected to liaise with the Foundation Board’s Chair, María Sefidari, on behalf of all affiliates, and it may be wise to also find a deputy for them.

Finally, if you can think of any huge obstacles that would prevent your group from participating to the process (for instance, a language barrier, or lack of good decision-making mechanisms, etc.), please reach out to me directly: it is really important that we hear about them as early as possible. Thank you! Elitre (WMF) 15:23, 12 March 2019 (UTC)

Wikimedia Summit 2018[edit]

I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sending me to the summit so that I was able to continue the important planning processes with my working group (Diversity) and interface with the other stakeholders in our strategic plan. Getting feedback from other stakeholders reinforced our resolve that diversity must be considered in each of the thematic groups, as it is impossible to separate it from the considerations that will move our movement forward. Meeting with other stakeholders also helped us focus on which aspects we need to prioritize in moving into the recommendation phase. We have developed a timeline to complete our scoping, merging the new inputs by the end of April, and then will begin drafting recommendations over the next 6 months to focus our work in making our movement more inclusive.
In addition to strategic planning, there was a lot of discussion about the upcoming elections and the excitement around the User Groups being able to participate for the first time. The Wiki User Groups established a Telegram thread ([1]) to enable any member of a User Group to join in the discussions and learn about, brainstorm, and interact with other User Group members.
Rosie Stephson-Goodknight and I met with partners to establish a Women in Red website. In the coming days, more information will be available, but our hope was that the website will be a gateway for cross-language collaborations and organizing our external partnerships. We hope that all 21 language versions of Women in Red will be able to share information and developments in their own languages, gather resources to document women's biographies, and have a means to connect and keep our community vibrant, regardless of whether it is on- or off-Wiki. Stay tuned for updates. SusunW (talk) 14:15, 2 April 2019 (UTC)

Thank you SunsunW for this update! Please tell us more about this future website. I sure think it should not focus only on women bios, there are many more aspects to the gender gap. Being a kind of hub to connect people around gender gap issues globally would be extremely helpful, as well as sharing ressources. Having regular news and updates about this user group as well. I am just wondering how you will integrate other groups websites (Art+Feminism, Sans pages, Wikiloveswomen) in this one. Will it start anew or will it try to collect ressources and link to local websites?

Nattes à chat (talk) 14:57, 2 April 2019 (UTC)
Hi Nattes à chat. We'll certainly provide a link here once the Women in Red website is up. It'll start with some minimal information and we can certainly discuss what additional information to add. Like SusunW says, stay tuned for more info as it becomes available! :) --Rosiestep (talk) 16:06, 2 April 2019 (UTC)

User reporting system consultation[edit]

Hello,

The Wikimedia Foundation's Community health initiative plans to design and build a new user reporting system to make it easier for people experiencing harassment and other forms of abuse to provide accurate information to the appropriate channel for action to be taken.

The success of this project depends on collecting ideas and feedback from people in a variety of different roles in the Wikimedia movement. To this end, there will be a multi-phased consultation where you can participate in ways that you find most comfortable.

Please visit the User reporting system consultation page to learn more about the process, to ask questions, or to offer feedback. You also can sign up to be be a liaison for you group, to translate pages or messages, or to host a discussion group (on or off wiki.)

Please share this message with other people who you think would be interested in this project.

Cheers, SPoore (WMF) Strategist, Community health initiative 14:46, 2 April 2019 (UTC)

Update on the Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process[edit]

Hi all,

The Election Facilitators met on Friday, April 5. We finalized the resolution, which is now frozen. The Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation will be asked to approve the resolution.

We have made two small changes to be more inclusive. We extended the date for compliance with AffCom reporting and being in good standing to May 7 to allow time for as many Affiliates as possible to be current with these requirements. The Election Facilitators adjusted the language in case a quorum is not met during the election.

On the talk page of the resolution one issue was raised. The issue looks like to be about a possible candidate. Affiliates will have ample time to discuss the merits of candidates during nomination time, screening time, and they can cast their votes on candidates. The Election Facilitators didn't see the necessity for this change, and left the resolution on this point unchanged.

The Election Facilitators will be Abhinav Srivastava, Lane Rasberry, Jeffrey Keefer, Ad Huikeshoven, Neal McBurnett and Alessandro Marchetti. We will welcome more volunteers to assist us in this process, to reach out to the diversity in language and gender in our communities, and do so in an advisory role.

The nomination period opens on April 15. We are going to prepare nomination pages on Meta. You can expect a call for nominations. There is a draft call, including a candidates' profile section with non-binding guidelines about experience and characteristics for nominees. You are welcome to add your insights, or discuss on the talk page.

Erica Litrenta (WMF staff) supports us in this process. She will reach out to all affiliates through mail and other channels to make sure we are up to date with (user)name and contact details of your primary contact.

On behalf of the Election Facilitators, Ad Huikeshoven 10:52, 6 April 2019 (UTC)

Update about the Affiliate-selected Board seats process 2019[edit]

ASBS 2019.pdf

Hello everyone!

  • The Resolution has been approved by the Board of Trustees;
  • Nominations phase is now open, from April 15 00:00 UTC to April 30 23:59 UTC. See the Call for Candidates and Nominations pages;
    • Community members may ask questions of the candidates;
  • Your main representative has just received an email to confirm that they are indeed the primary contact and will perform official actions on behalf of your group (such as endorsing candidates and then voting). Some groups also need to verify their eligibility status in due time, as explained in the email;
  • New content is available to spread awareness around the process - the infographic on this page has clickable links and can be translated, and a primer is available, that we hope will be particularly helpful to those new to such a process;
  • Finally, you are welcome to help with translations! Pick one page from the ASBS category and, in the next couple of weeks, please consider translating profiles of the candidates in particular.

Thanks for your attention! The Facilitators for ASBS 2019, 07:33, 15 April 2019 (UTC)

Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process: your representative[edit]

Nuvola apps important.png

Hello. The name of the only person who will vote on behalf of this group to select the next two Board members is now at m:Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Eligible entities. Please contact me directly as soon as possible if you need any kind of corrections there. There's only a few hours left to endorse candidates, and only the official voter can do that. I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that you can make a difference with the necessary translations.

Appreciate your attention and your support so far! Thank you! Elitre (WMF) and Facilitators of ASBS 2019, 12:15, 29 April 2019 (UTC)

Upcoming 2019 Affiliate-selected trustee position on the Board of Wikimedia Foundation[edit]

Greetings WikiWomen's User Group,

My name is Gerald Shields, also known as user:Geraldshields11. I am asking for your top rank vote for me in the election for one of two open trustee positions on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.

I am asking for your vote to help support emerging communities and promote an inclusive education environment on all wiki projects. Also, I plan to promote various other issues as I mention in my statement and answers to various questions. I ask that you show your support for the issues that need to be address by voting for me as one of your preferences.

My candidacy information page is Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Nominations/Gerald Shields on Meta or can be found at Gerald Shields candidate. I have responded to the “Questions for all candidates - Questions for this individual candidate that do not apply to other candidates”. My answers give more details on why your affiliate should vote for me.

Thank you for your time, discussion, and consideration of my candidacy. I appreciate it.

My best regards,

Gerald Shields

Geraldshields11 (talk) 00:33, 9 May 2019 (UTC)

Wikipedia Deletion Policies[edit]

Hi all - I edit articles in computer science, especially current technologies and those of interest to women. I've seen two more articles related to underrepresented groups in computing being recommended for deletion. Would someone help me understand why these lists being deleted for notability or 'not a directory' especially in comparison to other list-type articles. I'm especially curious why the List of ACM-W Celebrations doesn't seem to fit the requirements.Cypherquest (talk) 01:06, 6 June 2019 (UTC)

welcome to bias. there is always a justification to selectively cite rules. you might want to migrate this information to wikidata. here is your article, https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q24964741 and parent https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q24534678 you would need to create an item for each event, with a id number https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P3333. Slowking4 (talk) 12:13, 18 June 2019 (UTC)

Introducing Wikimedia Space: A platform for movement news and organizations[edit]

Hi WikiWomen's User Group,
I’m writing to let you know that the Community Engagement department [1]at the Wikimedia Foundation is launching a new platform, Wikimedia Space. Here, you will find stories for and by contributors to the Wikimedia movement, and a space for discussions of different topics.

We know that finding information about Wikimedia activities and processes is very complicated, which makes the learning curve to enter our movement and be successful afterwards, really steep. By centralizing community stories and conversations in one shared space, we believe we are facilitating access and discoverability of topics across the movement, improving, in turn, connections among Wikimedians.

As an affiliated organization to the Wikimedia Foundation, we hope that you can share this platform with your local community, and we count on you to encourage them to add their voices. If you’d like to contribute stories, and overall, participate in the discussion section, please read our blogging guidelines and our code of conduct and join the conversation. Find more information about the project on its page on Meta.

Looking forward to seeing you at Wikimedia Space,
María Cruz, Communications and Outreach Manager, Wikimedia Foundation.
MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:53, 25 June 2019 (UTC)

References

Changing the name from WikiWomen's User Group to WikiWomen User Group[edit]

Maybe we should change our name from WikiWomen's User Group to WikiWomen User Group. This would be more consistent with other language UG's naming convention, e.g. Wikimujeres and WikiDonne User Groups. Would you prefer keeping it as is, or changing it? --Rosiestep (talk) 16:17, 31 August 2019 (UTC)

Support Support I agree with the change of name. It's more easy to pronounce and simplifies the name in a right way.Love it! Wikilover90 (talk) 23:54, 31 August 2019 (UTC)
Support Support Much better! --Jalu (talk) 15:54, 1 September 2019 (UTC)
Support Support Anthere (talk)
Support Support Definitely yes, much easier. --Camelia (talk) 12:27, 2 September 2019 (UTC)

Pre-event Survey for WikiWomenCamp 2020[edit]

Please consider completing this Pre-event Survey for WikiWomenCamp 2020. Thank you! --Rosiestep (talk) 15:50, 17 September 2019 (UTC)