Talk:Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong
Please remember to:
For older conversations you can see the archive index.
- 1 New Affiliations Committee appointments
- 2 Help us make Wikipedia talk pages more accessible to more participants
- 3 Call for complementary facilitators and more to get the ASBS 2019 process started!
- 4 Update on the Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process
- 5 Update about the Affiliate-selected Board seats process 2019
- 6 Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process: your representative
- 7 Collecting feedback on a brand proposal for Wikimedia 2030
- 8 Proposed Safe Space Policy
- 9 Introducing Wikimedia Space: A platform for movement news and organizations
- 10 未成年人士加入香港維基社群用戶組
New Affiliations Committee appointments
AffCom is excited to share with you the news that the Wikimedia Foundation Board has unanimously approved the changes to the Bylaws during the last Board meeting on January 30, 2019.
This change allows the participation of User Groups in the Affiliate-selected Board seats (ASBS) 2019 process.
To read the Board's announcement, please click here
Help us make Wikipedia talk pages more accessible to more participants
Our team at the Wikimedia Foundation is working on a project to improve the ease-of-use and productivity of wiki talk pages. As an affiliate, I can imagine you’ve run into challenges explaining talk pages to first-time participants, or it is an consultation that would interest your members.
We want all contributors to be able to talk to each other on the wikis – to ask questions, to resolve differences, to organize projects and to make decisions. Communication is essential for the depth and quality of our content, and the health of our communities.
We're currently leading a global consultation on how to improve talk pages, and we're looking for groups that can discuss and report on their experiences using (or helping other people to use) wiki talk pages. We'd like to invite you to participate, with the user groups that you belong to. You can learn more about the consultation at Mediawiki.org and if you're interested in hosting a group discussion (on-wiki or off-wiki), you can sign up at the participant sign-up group.
If you’d like to participate or if you have any questions, please contact us and let us know. The more people participate from many horizons, the better the outcome will be.
Thank you! Trizek (WMF) 15:29, 8 March 2019 (UTC)
Call for complementary facilitators and more to get the ASBS 2019 process started!
Hi everyone, hope all is fine with you!
The next weeks will be intense, as affiliates figure out their participation in the process that will soon select 2 people for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. Since new Bylaws established that the user groups are for the first time going to be involved in such process, a lot more support than before is certainly going to be necessary, among other things, for big and healthy conversations on the topic. Hence, please encourage members of your group to become a complementary facilitator, or sign up yourself! You can add yourself to the list on Meta or reply to me to flag availability. One person from the facilitators group should soon be selected to liaise with the Foundation Board’s Chair, María Sefidari, on behalf of all affiliates, and it may be wise to also find a deputy for them.
Finally, if you can think of any huge obstacles that would prevent your group from participating to the process (for instance, a language barrier, or lack of good decision-making mechanisms, etc.), please reach out to me directly: it is really important that we hear about them as early as possible. Thank you! Elitre (WMF) 15:23, 12 March 2019 (UTC)
Update on the Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process
The Election Facilitators met on Friday, April 5. We finalized the resolution, which is now frozen. The Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation will be asked to approve the resolution.
We have made two small changes to be more inclusive. We extended the date for compliance with AffCom reporting and being in good standing to May 7 to allow time for as many Affiliates as possible to be current with these requirements. The Election Facilitators adjusted the language in case a quorum is not met during the election.
On the talk page of the resolution one issue was raised. The issue looks like to be about a possible candidate. Affiliates will have ample time to discuss the merits of candidates during nomination time, screening time, and they can cast their votes on candidates. The Election Facilitators didn't see the necessity for this change, and left the resolution on this point unchanged.
The Election Facilitators will be Abhinav Srivastava, Lane Rasberry, Jeffrey Keefer, Ad Huikeshoven, Neal McBurnett and Alessandro Marchetti. We will welcome more volunteers to assist us in this process, to reach out to the diversity in language and gender in our communities, and do so in an advisory role.
The nomination period opens on April 15. We are going to prepare nomination pages on Meta. You can expect a call for nominations. There is a draft call, including a candidates' profile section with non-binding guidelines about experience and characteristics for nominees. You are welcome to add your insights, or discuss on the talk page.
Erica Litrenta (WMF staff) supports us in this process. She will reach out to all affiliates through mail and other channels to make sure we are up to date with (user)name and contact details of your primary contact.
On behalf of the Election Facilitators, Ad Huikeshoven 10:52, 6 April 2019 (UTC)
Update about the Affiliate-selected Board seats process 2019
- The Resolution has been approved by the Board of Trustees;
- Nominations phase is now open, from April 15 00:00 UTC to April 30 23:59 UTC. See the Call for Candidates and Nominations pages;
- Community members may ask questions of the candidates;
- Your main representative has just received an email to confirm that they are indeed the primary contact and will perform official actions on behalf of your group (such as endorsing candidates and then voting). Some groups also need to verify their eligibility status in due time, as explained in the email;
- New content is available to spread awareness around the process - the infographic on this page has clickable links and can be translated, and a primer is available, that we hope will be particularly helpful to those new to such a process;
- Finally, you are welcome to help with translations! Pick one page from the ASBS category and, in the next couple of weeks, please consider translating profiles of the candidates in particular.
Thanks for your attention! The Facilitators for ASBS 2019, 07:33, 15 April 2019 (UTC)
Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process: your representative
Hello. The name of the only person who will vote on behalf of this group to select the next two Board members is now at m:Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Eligible entities. Please contact me directly as soon as possible if you need any kind of corrections there. There's only a few hours left to endorse candidates, and only the official voter can do that. I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that you can make a difference with the necessary translations.
Appreciate your attention and your support so far! Thank you! Elitre (WMF) and Facilitators of ASBS 2019, 12:15, 29 April 2019 (UTC)
Collecting feedback on a brand proposal for Wikimedia 2030
Dear Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong members,
My name is Samir Elsharbaty. I work with the Wikimedia Foundation's Communications team.
We are in the final weeks of Wikimedia community feedback on a brand proposal to support the 2030 goals and I wanted to make sure we had thoughts from your Group.
Your feedback is valuable to us and we hope you will decide to participate in the process. You can:
- Share thoughts on the project’s Community review talk page
- Or send thoughts via email: email@example.com
It’s a big topic, but this is not the final point of discussion. Instead, we are collecting community feedback to deliver a report to the Board of Trustees at the end of May. The report will summarize risks, concerns, needs, and opportunities in changing our branding.
Proposed Safe Space Policy
To ensure a safe, friendly, inclusive and harassment-free environment for all future events, it is proposed that a Safe Space Policy shall be established by the User Group.
The full proposed policy is posted at Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong/Safe Space Policy.
A consultation on the proposed policy is currently conducted. During the consultation period, members of the user group can express their endorsement or voice their opinion on this matter. The proposed policy would come in effect on 22 May 2019 if no objections are raised by the members. --無聊龍 (talk) 04:41, 14 May 2019 (UTC)
- Just note, I did some technical changes (not affecting the content)--1233 （T / C） 10:20, 15 May 2019 (UTC)
- To clarify the rationale, the clause prohibiting indefinitely blocked individuals in projects to attend events is rewritten as "owners of accounts in Wikimedia projects that are globally locked, or indefinitely blocked, locked or banned in one or more Wikimedia projects due to the individual's abuse of editing privileges", in order to exclude purely procedural blocks seen in some projects. --無聊龍 (talk) 04:31, 16 May 2019 (UTC)
- For clarification, the term "verbal" is removed from the definition of "discriminatory speech", as communication means other than spoken words can also be used to invoke discrimination. --無聊龍 (talk) 03:46, 20 May 2019 (UTC)
- some modification is suggested. please note. --J.Wong 10:31, 26 May 2019 (UTC)
- @Yolopertz: The motion applies to any event in which WCUGHK is involved, even if WCUGHK is not the organizer. Some events are organized by third parties but invite Hong Kong Wikimedians to do technical assistance, and this policy applies to those events as well. WhisperToMe (talk) 03:26, 15 May 2019 (UTC)
- @WhisperToMe: thanks! —Yolopertz (talk) 10:10, 15 May 2019 (UTC)
Introducing Wikimedia Space: A platform for movement news and organizations
Hi Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong,
I’m writing to let you know that the Community Engagement department at the Wikimedia Foundation is launching a new platform, Wikimedia Space. Here, you will find stories for and by contributors to the Wikimedia movement, and a space for discussions of different topics.
We know that finding information about Wikimedia activities and processes is very complicated, which makes the learning curve to enter our movement and be successful afterwards, really steep. By centralizing community stories and conversations in one shared space, we believe we are facilitating access and discoverability of topics across the movement, improving, in turn, connections among Wikimedians.
As an affiliated organization to the Wikimedia Foundation, we hope that you can share this platform with your local community, and we count on you to encourage them to add their voices. If you’d like to contribute stories, and overall, participate in the discussion section, please read our blogging guidelines and our code of conduct and join the conversation. Find more information about the project on its page on Meta.
Looking forward to seeing you at Wikimedia Space,
María Cruz, Communications and Outreach Manager, Wikimedia Foundation.
MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:53, 25 June 2019 (UTC)
- Hi Emojiwiki,
- Please use the email function for applying for membership, and apply to User:1233 with the following details:
- Please attach the following details:
- Your current age
- Guardian's Name
- Guardian Consent;
- and answer the following question:
- Why do you want to join Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong?
- How do you know the User Group?
- With thanks,
--1233 （T / C） 14:06, 6 July 2019 (UTC)
- (Written on behalf of liaisons of the User Group)