Talk:Wikimedia Philippines/Projects/Phil Wiki Expansion
Project proposal for Bikol Wikipedia
Wikimedia Philippines (WMPH) may loan one (1) computer set to Municipal Library of Local Government Unit of Canaman in Canaman, Camarines Sur where this user is currently connected. Inside the library is a Community e-Center (CEC) with 4 brand new computer units donated by the Commission on Information and Communications Technology. Students and other clienteles are entitled of one-hour credit per day. They can avail the services offered including but not limited to encoding and research for free.
The computer from WMPH will be used exclusively for accessing Wikimedia sites. Users will be required to create an account in Wikipedia. Students and other clienteles may also use the computer to access or contribute in the Wikipedia and other projects, such as the Bikol Wiktionary, while waiting for their turn in the Community e-Center. Contributors can also get extra time credit in the CEC as a reward. --Filipinayzd 13:26, 14 January 2012 (UTC)
- This is great idea! All we really need are volunteers and it will be nicer if we have these volunteers in the fold of the organization or as members of WMPH too, so as to serve as the chapter's coordinator in the targeted community where the project would be implemented. Apart from that, if we can have a "community", I don't know what will be the ideal number maybe 3-5 would at least be ideal to assist each other. It will be good to have a "community" in an area, so there could be some accountability as well.
- One computer set may not be enough, but this could be a start. If internet connection is available and all that it needs is a computer to be hooked up to it, then I'm all up for it. If this comes to a fruition, this will be WMPH first "out-of-town" project, and could be a model for other communities. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions, so I can defend this well before the grants committee.
- How would this be regulated to ensure that it will be used according to its intended purpose?
- What will be the measure of the project's success?
- Is it feasible to establish a "community"? (Not exactly people in Canaman, but also in the periphery)--Scorpion prinz (Talk | contribs) 15:56, 14 January 2012 (UTC)
- Thank you. Yes, I have yet to apply for membership although one of our contributors showed his intention to become a member of WMPH when he was still active in Bikol Wikipedia. As the proponent of Wikipidyang Bikol and the library designate, I will make sure the computer will be used exclusively for the project. A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between Wikimedia Philippines and Canaman Municipal Library must be signed. Currently there are two active contributors in Bikol Wikipedia, the other being Ringer who is based in Naga City. Our three other contributors, Steven*fung (Albay but currently based abroad), Geopoet (San Jose, Camarines Sur) and Lakadbulan (Tabaco City, Albay) would be happy to hear about this development! --Filipinayzd 16:54, 14 January 2012 (UTC)
- Kindly check the Bikol Wiki Expansion draft proposal. --Filipinayzd (talk) 18:25, 16 February 2012 (UTC)