- APH - I LOVE THE DESIGN! Beautiful. And thank you for adding the wikipedia in different languages.
- APH - I just wasn't sure if I had the authority to post something on wikimedia foundation without asking first!
I did the 2003-08-11t21:19z edit, only noticed after that I wasn't logged in. - I am Jack's username, 2003-08-11t21:33z
Some ideas about future press releases are recorded at /Second press release and /Third press release. They are a little dated and idiosyncratic, so it's not clear how much value they would have for creating a new press release. Existing press releases that were actually used are probably a better place to start. --Michael Snow 03:58, 30 Aug 2004 (UTC)
2 million articles on Wikipedia
I'm wondering why wasn't there a press release for the 2,000,000th article because it is an as big achievement as the one millionth was ? We are now standing just below the 2,2 million articles. 22.214.171.124 17:14, 8 August 2005 (UTC)
- Simply because of organization. We've now got a four-person Communications committee organized by Elian, which will help standardize the predictability of press release releasing. -- user:zanimum
Translatability of press releases
We should setup some guidelines and tools to help us write more easily translatable press releases. 126.96.36.199 01:46, 27 February 2006 (UTC)
- A glossary of common terms and their alternates, in case when the standard translation of the term can't be used in a particular contexts.
- A perfected and fully translated version of the bottom blurbs.
- Style suggestions for better translatability:
- Avoid passive when subject is clearly known
- Avoid perfect tenses when the same meaning can be expressed without them
- Avoid buzzwords and technical terms - they're not understandable even to most English speakers and are often impossible to translate
- I agree with this. Many terms -and sometimes even full sentences - are repeated among different messages. Moreover a table of standard translation terms would avoid translating the same term into different ways. Technical term and legal term in particular are often difficult to translate. For instance how to translate Board of Trustees? How it is called the top assembly governing an organization vary not only with the language but also with the type of the organization and with the legislation (and since not always one language is connected to one legislation, this pone a severe problem). If a table would be available for such term, the trouble of choosing how to translate this terms would be to be face only one time. AnyFile 17:10, 12 February 2007 (UTC)
Wikimedia Press Kit Update
Shouldn't the Press Kit be updated for the Board of Trustee's changes? Thunderhead 06:45, 22 July 2007 (UTC)
- Definitely. --Aphaia 21:02, 22 July 2007 (UTC)