Talk:Wikimedians in Residence Exchange Network

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Presentation in Montreal[edit]

Hello, everyone!

Presentation given at the Wikipedian-in-Residence Birds of a Feather session during Wikimania Montréal 2017.

I would like to extend my gratitude on-wiki to everyone that attended and everyone that supported the Wikimedian-in-residence Birds of a Feather Session and the WiR work in general. It was a great session, and I hope to see this proposed user group develop in great lenghts!

ALso would like to post here the slides of the presentation, as well as the Etherpad link, with all the notes. I'll save them, in case any problems with it arises.

Horadrim~usurped (talk) 16:39, 11 August 2017 (UTC)

Meeting with AffCom 12pm at Wikimania today[edit]

We are meeting with the Affiliations Committee about recognition as a user group today (Sunday) at 12pm, on the 7th floor of the Sheraton in room 720. All are invited!--Pharos (talk) 13:06, 13 August 2017 (UTC)

Facebook group[edit]

@Horadrim~usurped, Pharos, and Mtmlan84: How are we coming on the Facebook group (or other mode of communication)? If it's not in progress now, I'll create it myself this weekend. John P. Sadowski (NIOSH) (talk) 02:00, 14 September 2017 (UTC)

@John P. Sadowski (NIOSH): I guess go ahead and set it up, if you haven't already.--Pharos (talk) 17:01, 2 November 2017 (UTC)
By all means—I got busy myself and didn't get around to it... John P. Sadowski (NIOSH) (talk) 18:05, 3 November 2017 (UTC)
Facebook group made: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1625703517453016/ John P. Sadowski (NIOSH) (talk) 17:39, 10 November 2017 (UTC)

Discussion about regulation on English Wikipedia[edit]

There is a discussion at English Wikipedia's Conflict of Interest board about developing standards and regulations for Wikimedians in Residence.

I thought that this is relevant because this user group has been imagined as a peer support and standards organization which recommends what paid staff Wikipedians should and should not do. There are cultural norms in place but some staff Wikipedian projects have pushed the norms. Likewise, staff Wikipedians could use the support of a professional organization to help them guide their employers on where staff Wikipedians can have the most impact and what paths for engagement are unlikely to be useful. Blue Rasberry (talk) 13:01, 20 February 2018 (UTC)

Autoconfirmed article creation trial, and getting news out to staff Wikimedians in general[edit]

At English Wikipedia the en:Wikipedia:Autoconfirmed article creation trial was a research study from September 2017 to March 2018 examining the effects of preventing new users from creating Wikipedia articles. This study is significant to Wikimedians in Residence who present wiki trainings and events where they might recruit new users to engage with Wikimedia projects, including by creating new articles on Wikipedias.

I am writing here to signal some of the people commenting on that trial to alert them to the existence of this new and forming wiki community group. There were some people at the ACTrial page saying that they did not know about this research, and that people who do wiki outreach have a special need to know. I cannot say that this Wikimedian in Residence community group presents news effectively, but this is the only dedicated organization for Wikimedians in Residences to communicate among themselves. I regret developing yet another Wikimedia community group with its own communication and discussion but for now, this group is just this one message board on meta and there is a great affinity for staff Wikimedians to be aligned with each other in how we all present ourselves. Currently the group has almost 0 labor, 0 budget, and 0 planning, but many members agree that when so many of us are employed as Wikimedians and are managing valuable partnerships which bring media donations, publicity, increased user engagement, and other priority participation in Wikimedia projects, then those employees ought to be in touch with each other to advocate for these kinds of partnerships.

Right now this group has no miracles or solutions to offer but in the future if anyone sees research, discussions, or issues which might interest professional wiki people, then please post those issues here for higher visibility. I will ping the people who messaged at en:Wikipedia_talk:Autoconfirmed_article_creation_trial#ACTRIAL_and_Outreach_work saying that Wikimedians doing outreach did not hear about this trial. In the United States many people did discuss this. Somehow it seems like in the UK communication channels people did not hear. @Stinglehammer, TonyBallioni, Joe Roe, Legacypac, RexxS, Kudpung, Richard Nevell, Ammienoot, Jytdog, Power~enwiki, and Jason.nlw:

If anyone hears anything similar then consider posting here on this talk page.

Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:09, 19 March 2018 (UTC)

Thanks, Lane. For anyone interested, I've created a draft proposal at en:User:TonyBallioni/Event coordinator to address some of the concerns people who are involved in outreach have. TonyBallioni (talk) 16:07, 19 March 2018 (UTC)
Yes, thank you. I'll put this page on my watchlist and try to check meta every so often, though it might be useful to be proactive in sending notifications when new items are posted to this message board. Richard Nevell (talk) 19:25, 19 March 2018 (UTC)

BoF at the 2018 GLAMWiki Conference[edit]

Hi, everyone!

I've created a submission to the Birds of a feather section at the 2018 GLAMwiki Conference with the intention of bringing together Wikimedians-in-Residence (WiRs) and Student Workers to talk about their experiences.

GLAM Wikimedian-in-Residence and Student Workers Birds of a Feather

I hope you guys can participate and spread the word.

Thank you!

--GiFontenelle (talk) 20:07, 20 March 2018 (UTC)

Curating a recommended reading list[edit]

During the recent online call, we discussed taking steps toward our group becoming a hub of documentation that is relevant to our community of practice. To start that off, we'd like to curate a reading list of some of the resources that members have found particularly useful, including those we like by other members. I'd like to nominate Wikidata in Wikimedia projects by User:John Cummings to start off such a section on the front side of this page.--Pharos (talk) 23:48, 9 August 2018 (UTC)

Thanks Pharos (talk · contribs), can I suggest that we make sure that all reading list materials available in the Wikimedia Resource Center or perhaps even build the reading list in the center in some way? I would like to try and avoid this. John Cummings (talk) 09:08, 10 August 2018 (UTC)

@John Cummings: Do you think we should start a Wikimedia Resource Center/Wikimedian in Residence page, similar to the other thematic pages in Category:Wikimedia Resource Center, and also include our links on other thematic pages as appropriate?--Pharos (talk) 17:03, 10 August 2018 (UTC)

@Pharos:, I don't know, the main issue the WRC tries to avoid is the creation of new pages, its trying to collate resources in a central database and adding tags to help people explore, let me do a bit of research to find a good option, we can start creating somewhere as a draft and then move somewhere more permanent. John Cummings (talk) 22:00, 10 August 2018 (UTC)

Third party media[edit]

Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:45, 18 November 2018 (UTC)

Request for support - 2019 Community Wishlist Survey[edit]

The Wikimedia Foundation Community Tech Team hosts an annual survey where any Wikimedia community member may make a small request for technical development of the Wikimedia projects. This year community members made 212 proposals. From November 16-30 there is voting at Community Wishlist Survey 2019. The Community Tech Team will develop the top 10 proposals in 2019 to present them by the end of the year. Vote now! Also plan your wishes for the next year.

For context, see last year's top 10 proposals or the general documentation page for wishlist surveys since 2015.

If anyone wants to highlight a wish for WREN consideration then please post it below. Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 00:39, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Requests[edit]

This survey encourages community advertising and canvassing. I made a proposal and I would appreciate any votes of support which anyone would give.

For anyone who does not know, when organizations come to Wikipedia they tend to seek contact by email. Probably half of all the big organizations a person can name has edit requests in the archives of OTRS. I would like to surface these to get more communication of all sorts happening, including communication between every organization and the Wikimedia community. Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 00:39, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Job posting - medicine - Washington D.C.[edit]

PCORI, well known in health research distribution in the United States, is hiring a Wikimedian.

Please see the notice that I posted to English Wikipedia's WikiProject Medicine at en:Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Medicine#PCORI_hiring_a_Wikipedian_in_Residence_for_a_one-year_term. Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:19, 20 November 2018 (UTC)

Applied for Wikimedia Foundation grant - seeking comment and support[edit]

See

Since March 2018 I have been Wikimedian in Residence (Wikimedians in Residence Exchange Network) at the University of Virginia. Among other things I organize collaborations with the library. Some notes on my projects are at University of Virginia.

In the above proposal I am assisting some librarians, researchers, and our copyright lawyer in requesting US$15,000 from the Wikimedia Foundation in the November 2018 call for projects as described at Grants:Project. With this money the library would, in summer 2019, develop a tool kit and event package for more libraries to celebrate Public Domain Day and to incorporate Wikimedia engagement into their program. We will be hosting a Public Domain Day event of our own with Wikimedia engagement in January 2019 to get experience before starting the grant funded project.

I am posting this to the WREN group because I want Public Domain Day to this to be an annual holiday for Wikimedians and librarians, and many Wikimedians in Residence are at and will be at libraries.

If anyone can sign to support then I appreciate that. If anyone has comments of any kind please post to the talk page. Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 23:32, 20 November 2018 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: November 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 17 / November 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:10, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

2018 Affiliations Committee call for candidates[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee.

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!

The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee can include up to fifteen members, roughly half of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. Those joining the committee during the current process will serve a two-year term ending in December 2020.

Key skills

Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members, including the following key skills and experience:

- Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
- Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliation, and similar topics.
- Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly two-hour voice/video meeting.
- International orientation.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
- Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organizing are a plus.
- Skills in other languages are a major plus.
- Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
- Strong track record of effective collaboration (such as evidenced skills at facilitation, mediation, negotiation, and so forth) are a major plus.
- Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.

We are looking for people who are excited by the challenge of empowering volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world. In exchange, committee members selected will gain the experience of supporting their world-wide colleagues to develop their communities as well as personal development in guiding organizational development, facilitating affiliate partnerships, and professional communications.

Selection process

As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2018 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/December 2018, and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.

At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, Wikimedia Foundation staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2019, with new members expected to join later that month.

How to apply

If you are interested in joining the committee, please post your application on the nomination page and send an email announcing your application to affcom@lists.wikimedia.org by 31 December 2018. Your application must include the following information:

- Your full name and Wikimedia username
- A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.
- Answers to the following three questions:

  1. How do you think affiliates work best together to partner on effective projects and initiatives?
  2. What do you see as the role of affiliates in the Wikimedia movement in the next three years?
  3. What do you feel you will bring to the committee that makes you a uniquely qualified candidate?


If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!

Best regards,
Kirill Lokshin
Chair, Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 06:25, 17 December 2018 (UTC)

Redesign[edit]

At the monthly meeting there has been discussion about reorganizing this page for a while. Today I posted {{WREN}}, a navigational box which divides the content we have to share among some subpages. Hopefully this makes the environment more welcoming for people to post contributions and also makes it easier to keep our documentation sorted.

We discuss at the next meeting! I am pausing before copy/pasting signatures to the "join" page because I think that would re-ping everyone, and I thought it would be best to get feedback from the regulars before drawing too much general attention. Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:16, 10 February 2019 (UTC)

Mission statement December 2018[edit]

Since November 2018 various people in this organization have become more serious about drafting a mission statement. Collectively people decided to have discussions off-wiki with off-wiki notes. While the ideas are not completely formed, I have a draft of the content posted at

Everyone who has attended the online monthly meetings in the past 6 months has seen this and was a contributor. Luca Martinelli, Rachel Helps, Richard Knipel, Dominic Byrd-McDevitt signed their names to comments on the draft. The intent was to get a draft on wiki and develop it more from here. I expect there will be revisions but here is where things are for now. Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:13, 18 February 2019 (UTC)

New Affiliations Committee appointments[edit]

AffCom is excited to share with you the news that the Wikimedia Foundation Board has unanimously approved the changes to the Bylaws during the last Board meeting on January 30, 2019.

This change allows the participation of User Groups in the Affiliate-selected Board seats (ASBS) 2019 process.

To read the Board's announcement, please click here

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:45, 21 February 2019 (UTC)