From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes.
- Recent software changes
- (Not all changes will affect you.)
- Future software changes
- MediaWiki will stop supporting XHTML 1.0 and HTML versions lower than version 5. HTML5 will now be the default language for pages created by the software.  
- The software will check if all uploaded files are secure and match their type. 
- The Wikimedia Commons Android app will come out of the beta phase on its next release. 
- Account creation by manual log-in will now be recorded in the account creation log (bug 42434). 
- Links to file description pages will again be accessible directly from within videos (bug 43747). 
- The software behind recent changes patrolling was re-written; the change fixes issues related to patrolling new pages, among other things. 
- During a meeting, developers agreed on rules about making big changes to the software. 
- There is now a category to list pages with invalid music code. 
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by Global message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.