Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes; not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.22/wmf12) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on July 25. It will be enabled on non–Wikipedia sites on July 29, and on all Wikipedias on August 1. 
- Wikivoyage was offline for around 40 minutes on July 24. 
- Pywikipediabot moved their code from SVN to git; bot owners need to update their tools. 
- The Notifications and Thanks extensions were added to Meta-Wiki on July 26; other wikis will get them soon. 
- It is now possible to add edit summaries on Wikidata using the API; the feature will be added to user interface soon. 
- The software that resizes large PNG images on all wikis was changed on July 25. Resizing of PNG files bigger than 35 megapixels should be faster and more reliable now. 
- Three new webfonts (Gentium, Old Persian and Shapour) will be added to Universal Language Selector. , , 
- Special:MIMESearch, which gives a list of files by type, will be enabled on all Wikimedia wikis with MediaWiki version 1.22/wmf12 (bug #13438). 
- A mailing list to discuss multimedia features was started; users are encouraged to sign up.
- VisualEditor news:
- On July 24, VisualEditor was added for logged-in users on the German (de), Spanish (es), French (fr), Hebrew (he), Italian (it), Polish (pl), Russian (ru) and Swedish (sv) Wikipedias; it will be added for all users on those wikis on July 29. 
- A preference to completely disable VisualEditor while it is in beta phase was added on July 24. 
- വലതിൽനിന്ന് ഇടതോട്ട് എഴുതുന്ന ഭാഷകളിലുള്ള പല പ്രശ്നങ്ങളും ശരിയാക്കിയിടുണ്ട്.      
- It is possible again to scroll down in the template editing window (bug #51739).
- VisualEditor now works with the FlaggedRevisions extension. (bug #49699)
- If the user opens VisualEditor using a section edit link, the title of the section is added to the edit summary (bug #50872).
- Invisible templates now can't be deleted by accident or on purpose (bug #51322).
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by Global message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.