Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- Some image thumbnails now load faster on mobile. They also take up less bandwidth. 
- Last week's MediaWiki version was late on some wikis. 
Changes this week
- Wikis can now locally decide what wikitext they want the signature button to produce. 
- A one-time welcome message for users will now be shown in the wikitext editor. This will include existing users. 
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from May 17. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis and some Wikipedias from May 18. It will be on all wikis from May 19 (calendar).
- Using self-closing tags like
<span/> to mean
<span></span> will not work in the future. Templates and pages that use these tags should be fixed. When Phabricator ticket T134423 is fixed these tags will parse as
<span> instead. This is normal in HTML5. 
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.