Tell us about Aragonese Wikipedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page belongs to the project Tell us about your Wikipedia.
- Wikimedia Statistics can be difficult to interpret. What is your impression, how many steady contributors do you have?
- 6-8 steady contributors with some 15-20 occasional contributors.--Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- Are your contributors mostly native speakers?
- Most of them are not. There are some native speakers contributing from time to time, and for several contributors, it is the "granparents" language (i.e. is a family language, but they did not have it as mother tongue). There is also people trying to learn the language. --Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- Where do your contributors live (regions/country)?
- Most of them in Aragon, but also in Catalonia. --Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- How common is it that your contributors meet in real life?
- Some of the wikipedians have met in some occasions.--Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- Do you have special contacts with other Wikipedias (maybe in related languages)?
- Occitan Wikipedia, with which there is a common Wikiproject. Also Spanish, Catalan wikipedias. Occasionally asturian, galician and asturian wikipedias.--Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- Do you translate a lot from other Wikipedias? Which ones?
- Usually general or universal articles not related to Aragon. Most translated articles are from Spanish, English, French and Catalan editions.
Organization and support
- Is there a Wikimedia chapter in your country? How does your language relate to it?
- Are there work groups in other organizations about Wikipedia?
Your Wikipedia and the linguistic community
- Is there a language institution for your language, like an Academy, or a club of people interested in your language? Do you have contact with them?
- There is a newly created Academia and several associations. We have some contacts, but not formal relationship. --Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- Who (else) supports you?
- What does the public outreach for your edition look like? Do you have flyers, give lectures, training etc.?
- We have not as of today, just some announcements in forums, blogs, etc. --Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- Do you get feedback from readers?
- Sometimes in the discussion pages, sometimes in other internet forums Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- What other encyclopedias exist in your language?
- This is the first wikipedia in Aragonese since 13th century.
- Does your edition concentrate on certain topics, like your region and language, or Latin Wikipedia on Roman history and Christianity?
- We try to work on general and universal topics, with a special focus on Aragon and its languages.
- Did your edition enjoy text donations, for example from older encyclopedias?
- No, this is the first wikipedia in Aragonese since 13th century. --Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- Is there a generally accepted norm about your language (spelling, dictionary, pronunciation)?
- The language has a incipient standard form, and a commonly used spelling (though there are some concurrent orthographic proposals). There is a newly created linguistic authority, the "Academia de l'Aragonés", whose rules will be followed by the wikipedia.--Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- How do you deal with different spellings, dialects etc. (like B.E. lift and A.E. elevator)?
- We have agreed in using for Aragonese Wikipedia the most used orthographic system, and to follow the "Academia de l'Aragonés" proposals as soon as they are published. As for the dialects, any of them can be used. However, it is recommended to use a standard "transdialectal" language in more universal topics, and dialects are encouraged in articles about the areas where the dialects are spoken. However, we don't have contributors fluent in all the dialects. When the standard is not used, we have templates to mark the dialect used in the article. --Juanpabl 21:05, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- As for titles, we use redirects for different dialectal forms, trying to decide the most widely used aragonese word as the main title, but indicating all the equivalent words in the first line. --Juanpabl 21:18, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- Main/Front page of your Wikipedia: http://an.wikipedia.org