Research:Image recognition of painting subject matter
Identify the subject matter of paintings, including details such as recognizable elements and features
Sample images are in commons:Category:Paintings in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and here:
The Musicians Caravaggio
The Fortune Teller de La Tour
The Horse Fair, Rosa Bonheur
A Girl Asleep, Vermeer
Golden Cock and Hen, unknown
Pity, William Blake
create metadata for what paintings depict; add this to Wikidata "depicts"statements (d:Property:P180) and integrate output into "structured data on Commons", in addition to producing a standalone dataset
- Late August 2019
- Students select research projects from an available pool
- Late September 2019
- Proposal presentation
- May 2020
- Project ends
- Data management in Wikimedia projects
- https://dumps.wikimedia.org/, "A complete copy of all Wikimedia wikis, in the form of wikitext source and metadata embedded in XML."
- d:Wikidata:Data access
- d:Wikidata:How to use data on Wikimedia projects
- Research:Quarry, a tool with a support community which could assist with presenting the list of users who received a block
- Metropolitan Museum of Art digital media
- Tallon, Loic (7 February 2017). "Introducing Open Access at The Met". Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Knipel, Richard (7 February 2017). "The Metropolitan Museum of Art makes 375,000 images of public domain art freely available under Creative Commons Zero – Wikimedia Blog". Wikimedia Blog.
- "Open Access at The Met". www.metmuseum.org. Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- "Image and Data Resources - Open Access Policy". www.metmuseum.org.
- Chen, Amanda (20 December 2017). "A Deep Dive into The Met’s Collection Information Digital Work System". Medium.
- In Wikimedia projects
- Similar efforts
- wmania:2019:Research/Discovering and Analyzing Wikimedia Images
- Projects of , research scientist at Wikimedia Foundation
- 2019 tutorial on GitHub
- commons:Commons:Structured data
- Research Proposal
- Data Product
- Technical Paper
- Research Poster
- Presentation of research at local conference in Charlottesville, Virginia
- video presentation?
- essay on ethics?
- method documentation?