Upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3/What didn't work

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ambox outdated content.svg

This page is kept for historical interest. Its content is outdated or may be wrong.

You may find more up-to-date information on the www.mediawiki.org website.

MediaWiki logo

What not to try[edit]

(keeping it here just to confuse everyone!) ... actually I learned a few things from this, and wanted to share the info... I do things like restart my apache... )

what didn't work[edit]

now I'm guessing that I have a backup of my database.. and I'm not going to touch the screw up my existing mediawiki... (except for adding the 1.3.0beta3 to the lines in mediawiki

I'm now going to edit the new LocalSettings.php file that's in the beta 3 directory.

Ooo.... magic step... naw, I'll fill it in a bit..

hehe.. I'm lazy.. I just coppied the LocalSettings.php file from the medaiwiki directory

root@escargot mediawiki-1.3.0beta3 # pwd
/var/www/localhost/mediawiki-1.3.0beta3
root@escargot mediawiki-1.3.0beta3 # vi LocalSettings.sample
root@escargot mediawiki-1.3.0beta3 # cp ../mediawiki/LocalSettings.php ./
root@escargot mediawiki-1.3.0beta3 #

restart apache

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

grit teath:

http://escargot.icehouse.net

(it's in my hosts file, so I can do this) (and:

Warning: main(./LocalSettings.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/localhost/mediawiki-1.3.0beta3/index.php on line 14
Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required './LocalSettings.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php') in /var/www/localhost/mediawiki-1.3.0beta3/index.php on line 14

ouch... changed one of the first lines:

$IP = "/var/www/localhost/mediawiki-1.3.0beta3";

and.. time to go cry to the #mediawiki channel..

changed my config directory to be writable, mediawiki/config typed in the info and it gives:

Conversion complete. The old table remains at links_backup;

delete at your leisure. SQL error: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)

Backtrace:

   * Database.php line 208, in wfdebugdiebacktrace()
   * Database.php line 317, in database::fetchobject()
   * updaters.inc line 141, in database::fieldexists()
   * index.php line 440, in do_user_real_name_update()
Comment from another tester -- I got the same results. And, just to make this clear for other readers, this means the upgrade failed. It would be great if somebody could place a note here indicating how to fix this error :-) --DK 13:27, 2004 Jul 17 (UTC)
Hehe, I'm a jerk!, I kept my instructions that didn't work!, just backup the database (just because), and unpack the new mediawiki, redirect trafic to it, chmod the config directory, run their config script, chmod config directory back, place localsettings.php back, and restart apache. You probably don't need to do anything special like manually copy your old localsettings.php)AaronPeterson 14:37, 19 Jul 2004 (UTC)