User:AbhiSuryawanshi/NASA LARSS Program
This had been a submission to the Wikimedia Participation Support process, but was withdrawn or otherwise cancelled (not denied).
- User name
- User location (country)
- Event name
- NASA LARSS Program
- Event date(s)
- 20th July to 30th July.
- Event location (city)
- NASA Langley ResearchCenter (LaRC), Hampton, Virginia, United States
- Amount requested (remember to specify currency!)
If I am able to speak at program, some of my costs will be covered by my already existing relationships with organization involved. Accommodation and food would be provided. Travel and any visa related costs are all that exist.
- Travel Cost - 1592 $
- (Pune to Hampton economical class round-trip)
- Visa Fee - 160$
- Accommodation - Provided by organization.
I am Young Scientist, with innovation techniques as specialty, I have worked on various projects and innovation is focused on "Open Source" models - such as Suction Method of Irrigation for which I have received "Young Scientist" as recognition from Government of India.
I have been invited to speak as keynote speaker and guest of honor at Langley Aerospace Summer Students (LARSS) program on 21st of July 2012. I will be speaking about innovations and need of free and open research models. Also during my one week visit, I am willing to have Wikipedia Sessions for them where they can learn about contributions to Wikipedia and sister projects.
About LARSS Program :
Langley Aerospace Summer Students (LARSS) program - This unique program is intended to encourage high-caliber college students to both pursue and earn graduate degrees and to enhance their interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) by exposing them to the professional research resources and facilities of LaRC.
Contribution to Wikimedia Foundation Mission
- Increase participation
- Langley Aerospace Summer Students (LARSS) program - This unique program is intended to encourage high-caliber college students to both pursue and earn graduate degrees and to enhance their interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) by exposing them to the professional research resources and facilities of NASA Langley Research Center (LaRC).
- This crowd of community scientists, writers, academics, students, and online activists are an ideal pool of candidates both for potential editors and spreading the message of the importance of wiki participation by their colleagues and respective organization's volunteers.
- Personally I am using Wikipedia to enhance learning by adding related topics content and it is helping me alot.
- I will encourage students to follow same.
- Improve quality
- Many of the participants are experts in numerous subjects related to Space studies. A fair percentage of the citations on Wikipedia for Space Articles can be traced to organization and scholars attending this event. Their participation in Wikipedia offers opportunities for significant quality improvements. More likely, their influence on the participation of others will increase the chances of their quality Space related source material being cited and shared.
- During visit I will give my best to enhance more images about space programs, and will encourage others to contribute to Commons.
- Increase reach
- In addition to possible editor recruitment, the organization and community leaders present have enormous influence over how tools like Wikipedia are both used and promoted by organization and community projects.
- Space material is more viewed on Wikipedia, more articles will increase space programs reach and Vic-versa.
This is hypothesis based (anticipated) outcome:
- Increased participation by LARSS Scholars in Wiki Project.
- Bridge between NASA and WMF
- Increased visibility and usage of WMF projects by NASA and Scholars
- Improvement of WikiProjects related to Space.
- Recruitment of specific volunteers (names and contact info to be shared with WMF after event) to help with future outreach at LaRC by WMF.
- Wikipedia Club at NASA