User:Ijon/Postcard from Greece
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Asaf Bartov (WMF) has just returned from a visit with the Greek Wikimedia community.
- 87,000 articles
- ~40 very active editors
- ~250 active editors
- Wikipedia in Education
- article writing introduced in a technical university in Thessaloniki; secondary school students wrote articles (their principal/headmaster is a very active Wikipedian! :)); adult school students in Kefalonia edited about local flora and history, with their teacher -- featured in Wikimedia Blog.
- introductory talks were given last year on various occasions, including a 12-meeting series at the Great Musical Library in Athens.
- conversations have begun with the Great Musical Library and with the General State Archive in Greece. It is likely at least one of them will host a Wikipedian in Residence.
- User group
- a group of very active editors has begun the process toward recognition as a Wikimedia User Group.
- Community tension
- beside the usual causes of wikistress, the Greek community faces tension from external politics -- disputes on ethnic and/or nationalist background, a highly controversial political party.
- Interference with brand
- a Greek non-profit has engaged in some misguided (though well-intended) outreach activities on behalf of "Wikipedia", with much misrepresentation of our norms and values, and has resisted repeated requests to change its ways. This should be resolved now.
- Worries about money
- currently, no movement funds are used by the community. While this prevents some things from happening, the community is worried about the (social) consequences of accepting movement funds.