User:Nelson Ricardo 2500
|This is a Wikimedia global user page.|
If you find this page on any site other than a Wikimedia one, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated, and that the user whom this page is about may have no personal affiliation with the site. The original page is located at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nelson_Ricardo_2500.
|Users by language|
I'm Nelson Ricardo. My parents immigrated to the U.S. from a small farming village in the municipality of Caldas da Rainha, Portugal. I was born and raised in Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, and have been living in Brooklyn for 20 years. I have a B.A. in economics from New York University (NYU). I have worked at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and at Columbia University.
Although European Portuguese is technically my "first language" and "mother tongue", American (New York City metro) English is my "native language", the one I best understand, speak, read, and write. If this doesn't make sense, reread the preceding paragraph.
I won't say how old I am, but the 1980s had the best music.
Like most people, I started out on Wikipedia, but I now spend most of my time at Wikivoyage.
Background regarding username change
When I first created my Wikipedia account many moons ago, there were more limitations on usernames, so I ended up with Nricardo. I think I had typed it as nricardo, but the system decided that the first letter needed to be uppercase. Having an uppercase N but lowercase r has always bothered me. I tried changing it to my real name, but a steward at Meta decided that it was too close to an existing username, so I added some non-random numbers at the end.
I am a docent for the following articles. If you wish to speak with me about these, please add a message to the article's Discussion page or contact me on my Wikivoyage user talk page.
- Caldas da Rainha — a city in Portugal
- Oeste — a region in Portugal
- Portugal — a country in southwestern Europe
- Portuguese phrasebook — a Portuguese-language primer for travellers
(voy:Special:Contributions/Nelson Ricardo 2500)
- Caldas da Rainha ⭐ – Featured on the Main Page as Off the Beaten Path in October 2016. Was promoted to Star article status in January 2021.
- Wikipedia:Portugal Expedition — Launched this collaboration project.
- Portugal — Many improvements throughout the country, region, and city articles.
- Portuguese cuisine — Started article and improved it to Guide status.
- Portuguese phrasebook — Added numerous pronunciations, added section explaining pseudo-phoneticization.
- Lisbon – Improved to Guide status.
- Lisbon Airport – Created article and improved it to Guide status.
- Porto – Improved to Guide status.
- Évora — Improved to Guide status.
- Serra da Estrela Natural Park — Created article and improved it to Usable status.
- Oeste – Created article for this Portuguese region and some of its municipalities:
- Alcobaça – Improved to Usable status.
- Alenquer – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Arruda dos Vinhos – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Bombarral – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Cadaval – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Lourinhã – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Nazaré – Improved to Usable status.
- Óbidos – Improved to Usable status.
- Peniche – Improved to Usable status.
- Sobral de Monte Agraço – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Torres Vedras – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Angra do Heroísmo – Started article and improved it to Usable status. One of the main cities of the Azores (Açores) lacked an article, so I fixed that.
- Covilhã — I started this article and improved it to Usable status. I can't imagine why we were missing this fascinating city.
- Matosinhos – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Santarém – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- ...and many more!
- Derry – I became interested in this Northern Irish city after watching Derry Girls.
- Margate – I became interested in this English seaside town after watching Edge of Heaven.
- Star articles – Replaced outdated static map with dynamic map.
- Southwest Brooklyn – My neighborhood.
Places I've been
These lists include places I visited but did not sleep in. Besides tourism, they include business trips and college study trips.
- Arizona — Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe
- California — San Francisco, San Diego, Palm Springs
- Connecticut — Hartford
- Florida — Miami Beach, Walt Disney World, Key West, Tallahassee, Boca Raton
- Illinois — Chicago
- Massachusetts — Boston
- New Jersey — Newark, Atlantic City, Long Beach Island
- Nevada — Las Vegas
- Texas — Dallas
- Washington, D.C.
- Wisconsin — Oshkosh
- Italy — Rome, Florence, Pisa, Pompeii
- Portugal — Caldas da Rainha, Lisbon, Óbidos, Nazaré, Peniche, Fátima and many others.
- Spain – Madrid, Seville, Granada, Córdoba
- Thailand — Bangkok
- London (again), plus more United Kingdom
- San Francisco (again)
- Porto and Coimbra, which I managed to miss on prior trips to Portugal
- Los Angeles
- Nashville, even though I'm not a huge country music fan. I don't seek it out, but I often enjoy it when I stumble across it. I do love Dolly Parton, though...
- And many more, but let's keep the list feasible...
(w:Special:Contributions/Nelson Ricardo 2500)
- Caldas da Rainha – I managed to get it promoted to Good Article status. Perhaps one day I'll get it up to Featured articles quality...
- Edge of Heaven – 2014 British romantic sitcom that I've tried to improve.
- List of CHiPs episodes – created.
- Nav Sidhu – British actor that I discovered when watching the aforementioned Edge of Heaven
- Nick Hendrix – Actor in British Midsomer Murders, a British police detective drama TV series on ITV.
- Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics — created
- Servant of the People – Ukrainian political satire comedy television series available on Netflix. (Volodymyr Zelensky, the actor who portrayed the President of Ukraine, became the country's president in real life.)
(pt:Especial:Contribuições/Nelson Ricardo 2500)
- Comunidade Intermunicipal do Oeste – Region of Portugal. (created)
- Mystic Pizza – Film featuring Portuguese-American characters. (created)
(pt:voy:Especial:Contribuições/Nelson Ricardo 2500)
- Caldas da Rainha – Created outline. I need to add listings and such...
(d:Special:Contributions/Nelson Ricardo 2500)
Lingua Libre is a project of the association Wikimédia France which aims to build a collaborative, multilingual, audiovisual corpus under free licence. I have contributed numerous recordings (which are exported to Wikimedia Commons) in Portuguese. Many of these will be added to Wikivoyage's Portuguese phrasebook.