in order to unblock the situation of Wikimedia CAT chapter, we have clarified and simplified the proposal at Wikimedia CAT.
We would highly appreciate that you could take a look at it and kindly give us your opinion at Survey. If you consider so, you can also express your support.
Thanks in advance. --Gomà 10:12, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
I am writing to ask you a question regarding the status of our still pending request of Wikimedia Venezuela to become a local Wikimedia Chapter. We have started gathering people and ideas since October 2010, organised a series of lectures for Wikipedia TEN. Our proposed bylaws have been reviewed by members of the ChapCom as early as May 2011. We were informed that in June-July 2011, our proposal was scheduled to be submitted to voting and, as of October 2, 2011, we are yet to receive a notification, either approval, rejection, suggestions...we have received only silence. What is going on? What has delayed the ChapCom to close the voting on our case? Working groups in other countries have submitted their proposals/requests to form a local WikimediaChapter more or less at the same time that we did, and they have been approved already. Why not Wikimedia Venezuela? What is wrong with us? If we were told what is wrong with us, we could work it out and fix whatever is needed...but with no input, we are left sitting in the waiting room for months..
Could you please tell us what is delaying our approval? What do we have to do?
Our people (37) is anxious and wondering what is going on. We were more people, but we feel dissapointed and discouraged, and this doesn't help us at all. Could you please give us an update?
Many, many thanks in advance from Venezuela.
--Jewbask 01:34, 3 October 2011 (UTC)
- I can well understand your confusion and frustration at being left in the waiting room for so long. The Board has yet to receive the final recommendation from ChapCom with respect to WM Venezuela, after which we need 2 weeks to vote on it at the Board level. As far as I know, there is no problem with the WM Venezuela proposal as such. I will check back with ChapCom on the status - and will also forward them your message. Best, Bishdatta 15:45, 3 October 2011 (UTC)
Hey Bishdatta! I'd love your input on the project I am in the process of starting. If you have time to take a look, especially at the questions on the talk page, that'd be fabulous. Thank you! SarahStierch (talk) 21:34, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
- Oops :) Research:WikiWomen's Collaborative try that! Thank you! SarahStierch (talk) 17:31, 15 August 2012 (UTC)
DYK Online Magazine
Hi Bishdatta, I would like to create a free monthly online magazine called 'DYK' on Issuu, sourced from many Wikipedia projects, including texts and images. It can be embedded in websites and blogs too to promote Wikipedia. How can I take this further? Many thanks! --RexRowan (talk) 17:24, 20 August 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry, been on the road since 14 August, just about keeping head above water, so could not reply. DYK sounds like a great idea - is it meant for existing wikipedians, newbies and prospective wikipedians, or the world at large (which means prospective wikipedians to some extent?) Am happy to help, but not sure now. Let me know. Am around now. Interestingly, your post came on a day that I was considering using Issuu for something else. Ok, will wait to hear back then. Bishdatta (talk) 06:16, 8 September 2012 (UTC)
Hello! As there is a Wikipedia article about you, you are cordially invited to contribute a short audio recoding of your spoken voice, so that our readers may know what you sound like and how you pronounce your name. Details of how to do so, and examples, are at Wikipedia:Voice intro project. Please feel free to ask for help or clarification on the project talk page, or my talk page. --Vera (talk) 11:50, 9 October 2014 (UTC)
- Will do, but only on 18 October, travelling till then. Bishdatta (talk) 09:48, 10 October 2014 (UTC)
How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?
Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.
After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!
In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:
- Respond to questions on the discussion page of the idea.
- Join a small group conversation.
- Learn more about this consultation.
This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.
Last call for WMF grants feedback!
Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.
Inspire Campaign on content curation & review
I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.
All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)
Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.
Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,
On the FDC appointment. Hope to see you around again sometime.
Whose Knowledge? user group update
Hi Bishakha! Thanks for joining the Whose Knowledge user group - we’re so glad to have you involved!
Here are some updates about recent activities:
- User group approved: Our user group was officially approved in October - hooray! Big thanks to Raystorm and FloNight for the idea to create a user group for the Whose Knowledge? campaign :)
- Mapping feminist knowledge at AWID's 2016 Forum: Interested in learning more about what we’ve been doing lately? Read our blog post on what we learned from mapping feminist knowledge at Association for Women's Rights in Developments 2016 Forum. (it was great to see you there!)
- New grant proposal:
- We’ve proposed a WMF project grant. It would be great to have your feedback and/or endorsement by November 1 if this project interests you!
- It would also be great to have your help notifying communities already working on systemic bias about this proposal. Here is a draft message to use if you'd like - please translate, change as you see fit for your own context, and share in any communities you’re active in on and off-wiki!
Whose Knowledge? News - February 2017
Thanks for all of your support for Whose Knowledge? so far! Get ready, we're going to need lots of your help in 2017 :)
What's new in 2017:
1. Volunteers needed
As Whose Knowledge? grows, there are lots of things to do! Can you help?
- Are you good with data entry, categories, mailing lists or social media? We especially need people to help with organizing knowledge for Dalit History Month, and building out our communications (including this monthly newsletter!) right now!
- If you're interested in volunteering for these or any other projects, please signup here
2. Pilot projects
Building partnerships and testing our approach with marginalized communities.
- Dalit History Month: We're working with Equality Labs to support Dalit communities in South Asia and the United States to map knowledge and create Wikipedia content. Dalit History Month edit-a-thons are coming in April!
- Women's Human Rights Defenders: In partnership with Urgent Action Fund, we'll be supporting a group of women's human rights defenders around the world with more mapping and wiki content creation. Themes and geographies coming soon!
- Kumeyaay Wikipedia Initiative: Following the 2016 Indigenous People's Day edit-a-thon, we're continuing to work with members of the Kumeyaay tribe in Southern California and Baja to map and contribute indigenous knowledge to Wikimedia projects. A discussion day with Kumeyaay community in San Diego is being planned for May.
We've got financial support for 2017!
- WMF grant: 6-month funding (February-July 2017) was approved to pilot our approach to mapping knowledge and creating Wikipedia content with the Dalit community and global women's human rights defenders. Thanks for all your endorsements!
- Shuttleworth Fellowship: Anasuya is a Shuttleworth Fellow! This means we'll be able to spend more time organizing, and have support for convenings, campaign infrastructure, etc.
4. Wikimedia Strategy
Find us at Wikimedia Conference.
- Anasuya and Siko will be carrying the Whose Knowledge? vision of diversity, pluralism and representation of marginalized communities into movement strategy conversations in Berlin March 2017.
- What's your vision for the Wikimedia movement? If you have a perspective that you'd like us to help represent in Berlin, please reach out and let us know!
Whose Knowledge?: [April 2017]
|Whose Knowledge News|
|April 2017 • Volume 1 • Issue 2|
|Activities and Events: |
Dalit History Month Events; Wikimania 2017 submissions
| Wikimedia Movement: |
Wikimedia Strategy: Knowledge is Global
|About Whose Knowledge?|
If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.
Whose Knowledge?: [July 2017]
|Whose Knowledge News|
|July 2017 • Volume 1 • Issue 3|
|Activities and Events: |
Okvir pilot in Bosnia and Herzegovina; Wikimania 2017
Emancipatory Design Research
| Wikimedia Movement: |
Letter from Buenos Aires
|About Whose Knowledge?|
If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.
We hope you enjoy this issue of the '''Whose Knowledge?''' News. Please reach out to us if you have any ideas or suggestions! -- Saileshpat using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:18, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
Missing sides 1
Namaste, Greetings from Marathi language wikipedia.
Undersigned observed one of your endorsement at one grants proposal here.
At marathi language wikipedia we had to introduce a new policy for enhanced level of edit contribution, mentoring and accontability at short notice. Those reasons and details of policy I will detail you in a separate section. But before that the ladies who have put up the proposal seems to prefer playing victim rather than looking at the new set of rules as an opportunity to prove performance and accounting credibility.
Why I am detailing you this is because new set of rules has nothing to with gender issues. If you recollect One of the first meeting of Marathi Wikipedia community was co-ordinated by me at Krantijyoti savitri Bai Fule Womens Studies Centre where in you were also present. Even before any gender imbalance talk came in prominance in wiki issues, it was me on Marathi Wiki project who offered/wanted to promote to adminship a woman editor on Marathi wiki project just for the sake of Gender balance and supporting unsupported Marathi Wiki project.
Whether it is a article on Sharmila Rege on Marathi Wikipedia or an article on Krantijyoti savitri Bai Fule Womens Studies Centre is written by me. Whether it is project pages on Marathi Wikipedia related to Wikipedia:Women Studies and Wikipedia:women or whether it is an article on feminism on Marathi wikipedia is primarily written by me. Not only that all the editthons happened from Krantijyoti savitri Bai Fule Womens Studies Centre are supported in real time by me and with maximum possible flexiblity understanding for many aspects in India in general and in Maharashtra in particular there is void of references. Undersigned took initiative to support with flexible policies that is how quite a few articles related on marathi Wikipedia which would not have been allowed on english wikipedia ever. Not only that It is me only who has placed templates on Women related hundreds of talk pages that ever a woman visits a talk page of an article of her interest she should be able to visit above mentioned women related Marathi wikipedia Project page.
It is me only who has over the years went to Marathi discussion forum websites by writing women related articals to invite them on Marathi Wikipedia. Whether it is Shani Temple related movement or Article 21 of constitution and Women or Whether it is Copy right and series of women articles on Marthi language discussion forum are written by me.
Next to that when we did workshops across maharashtra Universities It was very well seen that a good majiority of them do have a good understanding of women issues.
Whether one likes my action of implementing new policy for enhanced level of edit contribution, mentoring and accontability or not it is not a question of Gender bias from my side, even though some may like to play victim create noise to divert the attention.
Any desciplenary action is going to rais some amout of noise and that is on much expected lines. Than to agree for better accountabilty.
In the next section I will detail. The new policy and rational related to actions taken. In this section what I want to highlight is the new policy is gender nutral and no one should have reason to belive of any sort of bias
Thanking you with warm regards
Mahitgar (He who knows ,wants to know and and loves to keep others informed) (talk) 09:27, 9 October 2017 (UTC)
- Hello Mahitgar -I read your message with great interest, but am not clear how the proposal in any way negates the fantastic work you have done writing about women and women's issues in Marathi wikipedia. It seems to me that you'll have a common objective - you and the proposers - and that what they are adding will only help you and Marathi wikipedia. Am I missing something? (And it's very nice to hear from you - been a long time). Warmly Bishdatta (talk) 05:11, 10 October 2017 (UTC)
Mam, First of thanks for reading this message from with interest and a prompt response. If you have interest in my evaluation of the proposal I will do it separately. Uptil now I have not written evaluation in detail at my be at later stage.
Let me give you an anology, Once I was standing at a zebracrossing along with my wife to cross an upmarket busy road (- that was the only possible point to cross the busy road with high hight road devider), another woman came standing at a little distance (from my wifes side) started stopping auto rickshaws, one after another auto rikshaw started coming and was stopping exactly at zebracrossing at her request and since her place was too near rickshaws probably did not give her service. This went on some thing like 20 minutes, later I got bit jittery that we were not able to cross the road I requested her to maintain more distance from zebra crossing so that Rickshaws will stop before or after zebracrossing. Now some one who has learned civics will accept the request and take a rickshaw form few meters away; But to our utter surprise the woman took plank that since she is woman she is being harrassed. Now one can understand a rural woman not understanding what zebra crossing is different an educated (?) woman simply to disregard a request wanted to capitalise her gender ! and that too when my wife was there with me ! See such false accusations are not hurt men but whether those help women themselves ? That what one of the grant proposer has done at the proposal talk page albit in indirect manner.
I wish you read following section seprately although bit lengthy I suppose it will help you in updating evaluating criterias (which I am unaware of) other proposals too coming from rest of Maharashtra/Marathi and we will discuss that separately in that section.
The specific proposal what the ladies did put up can be seprately evaluated by me if you wish so, But my basic expectation is if there a word about Marathi is used it should seek mentoring from professors of Marathi language in open minded fashion, then I dont need to evaluate or criticise it altogether.
One more thing is link to Marathi Wikipedia forum page without community approval as such is likely to get questioned as mislead and passing off. Ok You please do read the next section and we will discuss that open mindedly.
Mahitgar (He who knows ,wants to know and and loves to keep others informed) (talk) 05:55, 10 October 2017 (UTC)
What does the newly articulated policy on Marathi Wikipedia expects
Sorry for longer post but I prefer to clarify and put to rest every possible doubt.
Let me first inform you that undersigned has study background in audit processess. And on Wikipedia side I do have long enough of online help providing and field promotional experiance.
What does the new policy expects ? (again there is no gender issue at all)
1) If any funds are being used for Marathi language related activities requesting people should take mentorship of Marathi language professors / teachers and a Head of Department of Marathi language Department and again these professors and HODs of your own choice and more than enough women are in Marathi language teaching and working as HODs in Maharashtra - And in recent workshops they have been trained on Marathi wikipedia . Here we do not intend to check complete accuracy of funds spend that is WMF lookout that atleast some minimal mentoring and monitoring is there from people who have some additional knowldge and thing about needs and challanges before development of knowldge in Marathi language. Is there any thing that makes loss of WMF ? Nothing only a slight increase in transparancy. The second is what is loss to the funds requesting people ? nothing only it will help funds using people better guidance and more credibility.
(In case of Wikibooks / wikisource/ wiktionary cases as of now there is no minimum edit requirement but the new policy expects 2 librarians of marathi background also to be on board)
2) The second condition is a bit tough that funds requesting people need to have additional minimum level of encyclopedic edit contributions on Marathi Wikipedia.
There are multiple reasons behind introducing this condition that I will detail. But foremost is if you want to promote some thing for something first you yourself should have done it substantially then first you gain substantial experiance guide the project you intend to do properly, and secondly you get moral right to say that some thing is realy good. Besides to make the condition little easy we have given links to copyright free resources.
The other reasons to upscale these requirements is we at Marathi Wikipedia came across cases where in genuinely working people in field are being harrassed. What is the reason ? The competion among funds requesters is going to unhealthy levels since they know WMF and other governmental agencies are distributing funds liberally for promotion of knowledge in Marathi language. If they want funds and you give them and keep them in good humour Marathi Wikipedia community has no issues. But the unhealthy side is everyone is trying to harrass others if they do any thing among themselves that also no isssue. Unforunately it is affecting people who are seriously working in the field for promotional activities in some cases even without any expectations. In one of the verbally illustrated case before me from one of the Maharashtra districts (not Mumbai) where in a fund request was made all endorsing IDs address came out to be same and physical address never existed .
These people are having all technlogical know how and expertise to farm ips and IDs over the years in many cases some small contributions are also have been done before some years All the care has been taken from their side that they will never come in check user, that also seems to have been considered that some people might take objection if no endit contributions are shown so several IDs are existing with small edit contributions.
So the only way to ensure better sense prevails was to increase requrement of edit contributions substantially. That we have done now. The next aspect is I am forcing through my decesion with administrative authority giving chance to much discussion is existance of User IDs already farmed over the years wont allow any new stricter policy being formed at all.
Now what policy I have formed who will cross check it and sees that it is flexible enough? we have decided that the Marathi language professors contributing on Marathi Wikipedia and supporting field workshops in various ways will discuss and bring into force wiser policy. But even Marathi language professors would need some assurance of peace of mind while they are working and they themselves do not come under pressure I am defending a policy out of my own right until a new policy comes into place.
Why did I expect present proposal which are not yet sanctioned to fall in line and accept new policy is if it is not universal then again some one will find a fault with a proposal which is on board for consideration and say that you give us a lee way since you have given them lee way. I had been orally already hinted that one of the proposer had no previous experience in editing she started only with grant request and there after she has only made few nominal number of edits besides amouts requested are exagerating for the given purpose without any institutional backup (May be her case is genuine but others are asking for leeway to others and justify their arguments to seek funds). On other side while I am making the policy compulsory these negative people are so shrewed that they will use any discussion created by these ladies to oppose on Marathi Wikipedia policy of enhanced accountability and contribution requrement. Hence undersigned had to take some preemptive actions.
The most important thing to understand here is If at this moment I did not reign in the situation the jelous environment created by fund farming will ruin conducive environment not only genuinely working wikipedians but also for women editors. What is use of your dollors for women if the environment remains vicious ?
It is not only Marathi Wikipedia, I did get to know in a simmillar case Hindi language wikipedians have been taken for ride by people unknown to the community. What I learned that the funds are being requested to train NRIs ! The logig goes so kaput in that case it is NRIs in USA who are supposed to be reach to support Indian economy cant they fund their own events ? In any case next genertions of any expat study inforegn languages and are not keen on mother tougues that much and for that funds are being requested ? still if WMF is ultra rich with funding to keep people in good humour without substantive accountability and monitoring from respective language communities. WMF is very much free to do that. But only thing what we can say is Please, Please Not in our Name. Our projects will survive and grow without funding because it will not bring in envious environment on our project through unhealthy competition for your funding.
In any case one more thing at Marathi Wikipedia fiercely defends its project indipendance. And we are certain to go ahead with our new policy inspite of intial opposition which is much expected. But a leader does and should not think of short term losses to attain longterm goals in objective manner. So we at marathi Wikipedia in any case will not be putting down our position. It is for funds seeker to put to rest their opposition if any and fall in line accept new Marathi Wikipedia policy expecting enhanced Mentorship requirements and more edit contribution.
I hope this helps to put to rest any misunderstandings on any side.
Before forget to tell you that undersigned is trying to promote a womens lead hackthon too.
Thanks and regards
Mahitgar (He who knows ,wants to know and and loves to keep others informed) (talk) 10:53, 9 October 2017 (UTC)
We are leaving the wiki newsletter format behind and venturing into the email newsletter format. We'd love to keep sharing our projects and adventures with you all! You can sign up here to make that happen.
See you all there!
With love & solidarity,