Welcome to the Structured Commons focus group!
Hello! Thank you very much for signing up to the community focus group for Structured Commons :-)
- How to organize ourselves?
This focus group is new and experimental, and I welcome your tips and thoughts on how we can organize this in the most convenient and productive way. For now, I have posted a few separate topics on the focus group's talk page. Please add your questions there too! If we all add that page to our watchlist, that's probably a good way to stay up to date with current discussions. Steinsplitter has also initiated a brand new IRC channel specifically for Structured Commons: wikimedia-commons-sd (webchat) which we invite you to join. Please let me know if you have other ideas on how to work together.
- Current updates
- For your agenda: IRC office hour about Structured Commons, Tuesday 21 November at 18:00 UTC in wikimedia-office (webchat).
- A newsletter about Structured Commons is sent out later today. Its frequency will probably increase from now on. You are warmly invited to contribute to next issues — don't hesitate to add updates.
- The documentation and info pages about Structured Data on Commons have received a thorough (and much overdue) update this week, in order to get them ready for all the upcoming work. Obsolete pages were archived. There are undoubtedly still a lot of omissions and bits that are unclear. You can help by editing boldly, and by leaving feedback and tips on the talk pages.
- More things (logo? tools?) to be discussed on the focus group's talk page!
Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 13:34, 25 October 2017 (UTC)
Structured Commons focus group update, Nov 21, 2017
Hello! You are receiving this message because you signed up for the the community focus group for Structured Commons :-)
- IRC office hour today, 21 November, 18.00 UTC
- The IRC office hour about Structured Commons takes place at 18:00 UTC in wikimedia-office webchat. Amanda, Ramsey and I will give updates about the project, and you can ask us questions. The log will be published afterwards.
- Tools update
Many important community tools for Commons and Wikidata will benefit from an update to structured data in the future. You can help indicate which tools will need attention:
- Check this Google spreadsheet and leave your comments (ping me if you'd like full editing access to the spreadsheet)
- More and more tools will also be tracked on Phabricator and on the tools inventory page. Feel free to add and edit.
Structured Commons focus group update, December 11, 2017
Hello! You are receiving this message because you signed up for the community focus group for Structured Commons :-)
Later this week, a full newsletter will be distributed, but you are the first to receive an update on new requests for feedback.
- Three requests for feedback
- We received many additions to the spreadsheet that collects important Commons and Wikidata tools. Thank you! Now, you can participate in a survey that helps us understand and prioritize which tools and functionalities are most important for the Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata communities. The survey runs until December 22. Here's some background.
- Help the team decide on better names for 'captions' and 'descriptions'. You can provide input until January 3, 2018.
- Help collect interesting Commons files, to prepare for the data modelling challenges ahead! Continuous input is welcome there.