I think Web2Cit is a great tool to correct mistranslated references. It's really easy to use and it works really well. Thank you and the others for all the work on it!
I do not exactly know what an ambassador does, as I have never taken up such a role. I would need more information before answering this offer.
When setting the templates, I've had troubles treating the case of people having several / complicated names (1) and the case of names with additional information after a comma or between parenthesis (2), (3).
I was also wondering if you intended to add more translation fields in the future. I noticed that Zotero often finds issns, while Web2Cit does not seem to support them.
About the wikiconference, unfortunately I am not really interested in it. Sorry about that. Escargot rouge (talk) 10:50, 12 November 2022 (UTC)
- Hi, @Escargot rouge! Sorry that it took me so long to reply. I'm currently away from home.
- Regarding what I said about being an ambassador of Web2Cit for the French Wikipedia, I probably said that too lightly. There's not such an "official" thing. I was meaning someone other Web2Cit contributors who speak French or work with French sources may refer to if they have questions. But maybe we could just create a section for Web2Cit contributors to add their names (if they want to) somewhere on the Web2Cit homepage, maybe including the Wikipedia(s) they usually work with? What do you think?
- We were also thinking of creating some userbox for Web2Cit contributors to add to their user pages. We may have these automatically add a "Web2Cit contributor" category to the user page as well.
- Concerning splitting between first and last names, this is a problem that goes beyond Web2Cit I'm afraid. I wonder whether these threads could help us better think about it: phab:T300207 and phab:T299981. Alternatively, I sometimes just use the authorLast field (which is for author last or full names).
- On the other hand, regarding names with additional information after a comma or between parenthesis, I don't see problems in the monitor result pages you shared. I wonder if you managed to sort it out.
- Regarding adding more translation fields in the future, this is something that we had in mind when we designed the software, and should be relatively easy to do (such as adding additional selection or transformation steps). However, in doing so, we have to think carefully how we would map from Web2Cit output to Citoid/Zotero fields, and what would be the default procedure for that field used by the fallback template. This and this mappings, and the Fields and Fallback template documentation pages may be useful resources. Finally, you may suggest such new fields in Phabricator, using the w2c-core project.
- Cheers! Diegodlh (talk) 15:18, 22 November 2022 (UTC)
- I am totally fine with helping that way. I would be happy to answer any questions by french-speaking users or about french sources. I agree with writing names somewhere so that people can find concerned users easily.
- Yes I was able to solve the issue of comas and parentheses in the names. As long as it is repetitive enough, it does not pose any problem. I also found some cases like this example where people are just doing what they want, and I decided not to mind these cases (In this website, comas supposedly separate authors' names). Escargot rouge (talk) 13:10, 23 November 2022 (UTC)
- Cool! I've created a Web2Cit contributors category and added a "Ask someone" section to the Web2Cit homepage. Users may add this category to their user profiles on Meta if they want to. Eventually, if we create a Web2Cit contributor userbox, we may have it add the category automatically.
- Concerning those sites where people are just doing what they want, there are lots of those out there unfortunately! In the example you shared they are even including the author's description in the supposedly structured JSON-LD data! I agree we should just focus on doing our best attempt in these cases.
- Thank you, @Escargot rougeEscargot rouge! Diegodlh (talk) 15:41, 29 November 2022 (UTC)
- Ok, I've created my User Page on Meta and added the category to it! Escargot rouge (talk) 08:28, 30 November 2022 (UTC)