Jump to content

User talk:MusikAnimal/Archive 1

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki

Welcome to Meta!

Hello MusikAnimal/Archive 1, and welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!

-- Meta-Wiki Welcome (talk) 04:38, 13 November 2011 (UTC)

Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decitions

The Wikimedia Foundation recently created a new feature, "superprotect" status. The purpose is to prevent pages from being edited by elected administrators -- but permitting WMF staff to edit them. It has been put to use in only one case: to protect the deployment of the Media Viewer software on German Wikipedia, in defiance of a clear decision of that community to disable the feature by default, unless users decide to enable it.

If you oppose these actions, please add your name to this letter. If you know non-Wikimedians who support our vision for the free sharing of knowledge, and would like to add their names to the list, please ask them to sign an identical version of the letter on change.org.

I'm notifying you because you participated in one of several relevant discussions. -Pete F (talk) 22:15, 20 August 2014 (UTC)

Usage of edit summary on Wikipedia

Hello, today I found by chance this page of "mine", which has some history on prefilled edit summaries. Given your question on the mobile site, I thought it could interest you. Maybe document in this page what you discover about that feature. --Nemo 13:09, 13 September 2014 (UTC)

Global renamer

Hi, your request for global renamer was succesful, and I have now granted you the related rights. Congratulations! You may have read the policy already, but you can check it again and also it's useful to join our mailing list here. I have added you to the Global renamers list, please check that it's correct. If you're active on IRC you might want to join in #wikimedia-renameconnect. Regards, --Stryn (talk) 05:02, 12 January 2016 (UTC)

Congratulations! —k6ka 🍁 (Talk · Contributions) 11:21, 12 January 2016 (UTC)
Congrats!--Biplab Anand (Talk) 16:23, 12 January 2016 (UTC)
Thank you! — MusikAnimal talk 20:04, 16 January 2016 (UTC)

Re https://github.com/MusikAnimal/pageviews/issues/11

GitHub commenting fails so I'm pasting here: Note that such a tool (by @hay) already exists, though it needs to be tweaked to use the new pageviews API: https://tools.wmflabs.org/hay/langviews/ --Nemo 08:30, 12 February 2016 (UTC)

@Nemo bis: Cool! Thanks for letting me know. I probably will want to adopt a similar design. I think comparing multiple pages across all projects isn't going to be API-friendly. Fortunately though the new pageviews API is significantly faster than stats.grok.se, so we have that much going for us — MusikAnimal talk 17:10, 12 February 2016 (UTC)

Quick note about Tech News and style


I see you exchanged "wrong" for "inaccurate" in the current issue of Tech News. That is indeed a better way to phrase it. The reason I like and kept "wrong" is that Tech News is distributed in English to a lot of non-English wikis, where editors aren't native speakers. It's a constant battle between precision and simplicity, but "wrong" is much more likely to be understood by en-1 or en-2 speakers. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 17:19, 4 March 2016 (UTC)

@Johan (WMF): Got it! Thank you for the clarification, keeping it simple is certainly ideal if we want to get around language barriers :) — MusikAnimal talk 17:21, 4 March 2016 (UTC)
Yeah, I mean, your edit made all the sense in the world – it's far better English. :) Just that we need to take more factors into account when it's to be distributed widely. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 17:25, 4 March 2016 (UTC)

Thank you

Technical barnstar

I hear that you fixed the pageview stats graphs. --Pine 07:47, 23 June 2016 (UTC)

I worked on it with Community Tech, yes! Thank you for the praise :) — MusikAnimal talk 15:57, 23 June 2016 (UTC)

No renaming between November 20 and November 27


You’re getting this because you’re a steward or global renamer. The Community Tech team are working on cross-wiki watchlists. We need to add a couple of fields to the localuser table in centralauth database. In order to be able to do this, we’d need to run a script that will get in the way of renaming users. Our apologies – we realize this is getting in the way of your work.

We ask that you do not rename anyone between 00:00 November 20 (UTC) and 00:00 November 27 (UTC).

(UTC means that if you live in the Americas, it will be on the evening or afternoon of November 19 when the script starts running, and if you live in Oceania or eastern Asia, it can be closer midday on November 27 before we can be sure the script is no longer running.)

Phabricator task.

If there are any problems related to this, or you have any questions, please write me on my talk page. /Johan (WMF) (talk) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:42, 17 November 2016 (UTC)

I want to be renamed

I heard that you are a global renamer. I would like to be renamed to miles527. If someone has already taken that username, you can change me to miles.527 or miles_527. Either is fine with me. Thanks. Miles.mu (talk) 21:59, 11 July 2017 (UTC)

Tech News

Hey, the newsletter has been frozen and translators told that this is it and that they can ignore it for the rest of the week if they're done, so I've moved the item to Tech/News/2017/38 instead. I'll copy edit as necessary, or ping you if I've got any questions. (: /Johan (WMF) (talk) 23:37, 8 September 2017 (UTC)

@Johan (WMF): No problem. This is better anyway because as I said, I'm not 110% sure it will go out on the next train :) Though I guess if it doesn't, we have to roll back all of MediaWiki. Fingers crossed! It's also a bit of a "silent" change, where only users of the IP range gadget would even notice the new feature is there, so no biggie.
For future reference, when do we typically freeze the Tech News for translating? — MusikAnimal talk 23:41, 8 September 2017 (UTC)
Tech/News/For contributors#The deadlines! As it says, typically a few hours later than stated there, but that's when you should be able to rely on it never being too late. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 23:47, 8 September 2017 (UTC)
Also, Tech/News/Next should lead you to the right issue to add things to – I typically edit that to point to the next one just as I freeze the issue. (: /Johan (WMF) (talk) 00:01, 9 September 2017 (UTC)
Tech/News/2017/38 has been edited now. Looks OK? I tried to simplify "backfilled" because that can be a pretty difficult word for en-1 and en-2 speakers. Will that still be relevant on Monday, or do you expect to be finished by then? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 23:18, 13 September 2017 (UTC)
@Johan (WMF): Looks great! :) I was also brainstorming a better way to explain "backfilled". We hopefully will have all data backfilled by Monday, but there's no guarantee. I would leave that bit in there before you freeze the newsletter, just in case. Thanks! — MusikAnimal talk 15:12, 14 September 2017 (UTC)
OK, good. Thanks. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 15:14, 14 September 2017 (UTC)

No edit sections

Re: Special:Diff/17264136. This must have been because you were looking at either a diff or an oldid permalink. You have actually removed several comments with your edit, please be careful ^_^ --Base (talk) 00:07, 26 September 2017 (UTC)

That was it! I failed to notice I was given a permalink. Sorry! I'm not a newbie I swear =P — MusikAnimal talk 00:12, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
@Base: Yeah... in reply to your edit summary, it wasn't the new wikitext editor itself that messed up, rather it wasn't very verbose in saying I was editing an older version (tiny little popup at the top-right, that is not shown in red as it should be). So still kind of it's fault. I'm going to create a bug! — MusikAnimal talk 00:15, 26 September 2017 (UTC)

AbuseFilter es.wikiquote

Hi. I wonder if you could have a look at the current list of filters of es.wikiquote and suggest improvements to them? It does not have to be now, but I noticed some filters that maybe could use some improvements. I've just activated the AbuseFilterProfile feature to identify the expensive filters. Regards. —MarcoAurelio (talk) 14:23, 16 October 2017 (UTC)

@MarcoAurelio: Indeed those filters all could use some work! Fortunately it doesn't look like you have very many, and the overall condition limit (1,000) isn't getting hit. Nonetheless, it's probably good to combine a lot of those OR conditions into one where possible, and take advantage of available functions so you can shorten and simplify your regex. For instance, with filter #1 you have the code texto rlike '\bs+o+i+s+\s+u+n+o+s\b', which could be shortened to rmwhitespace(rmdoubles(textto)) rlike '\bsoisunos\b'. Taking it a step further, you could group all of those individual "rlike" clauses into one big regex string. That cuts down on condition count big time. Another example, with filter 2 I see ("chan chan" in texto) | (":bull.jpg" in texto) | (":pig.jpg" in texto) | ..., when you could combine all of those into one condition with contains_any(textto, "chan chan", ":bull.jpg", ":pig.jpg", ...). If you or someone wants to give me temporary edit rights I'll be happy to clean them up, but like I said you're not actually hitting the condition count, and there aren't enough filters that I'd be worried about them significantly slowing down editing — MusikAnimal talk 03:39, 17 October 2017 (UTC)

Global lock notes

See here for details: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_locks . To sum them up global locks remove a user's ability to log into their account and that is it. Hope this helps you out. --Sau226 (talk) 16:45, 20 October 2017 (UTC)

@Sau226: Right, and in this scenario we do not want them to be able to use CopyPatrol. However I guess if they can't login, they can't use OAuth. Perhaps I don't need to worry about it, then. It might be possible to be already logged into CopyPatrol, and then your account gets locked, but seems like an edge case. Not going to worry about. Thanks! — MusikAnimal talk 16:53, 20 October 2017 (UTC)

Name Mention

Hello MusikAnimal. A huge fan of yours. Sometime i look at your "Awards page" and think if i had those. :) .. By the way, You mentioned .. The DJ as the only Proposer for "that proposal". Actually I was the first Proposer . It would be much appreciate if you also mention my name (as a fellow member of wikimedia bangladesh chapter).Thanks in advance. -- Ahm masum (talk) 14:55, 26 November 2017 (UTC)

Hey, first off thank you for the kind words! I didn't know I had fans :) I have made mention of your 2016 proposal in the "More comments" field. The "Proposer" field is for the current survey. Rest assured we're not trying to take credit for your idea :) I see you haven't made any proposals this year. Would you like to takeover? I only adopted it because TheDJ had already made three proposals, which is the limit. — MusikAnimal talk 18:56, 26 November 2017 (UTC)
Gladly. -- Ahm masum (talk) 20:34, 26 November 2017 (UTC)
Sounds good. I've removed my signature from the "Proposer" line, so just add yours and you're all set. Best — MusikAnimal talk 20:53, 26 November 2017 (UTC)

Authorship info

I just wanted to thank you for your work on this at T176912, first, and then to ask about how a given page's results should be interpreted. The page in question is articleinfo-authorship for Tulsi Gabbard.

  • The #3 user has contributed 6,548 bytes, and the #18 user has contributed 826 bytes.
  • "Top edits" for user #3 shows a net negative contribution of -21,891 bytes and, for user #18, a net positive contribution of 359 bytes.

I'm wondering why there is this apparent discrepancy between the numbers shown on the articleinfo-authorship page and those on individual "Top Edits" pages. Which is accurate? Are they measuring different things? I appreciate your time... there's something I'm missing here. SashiRolls (talk) 17:03, 2 February 2018 (UTC)

@SashiRolls: The difference is the number of bytes added (Top Edits) versus the number of characters retained (authorship, with some caveats which I will explain). Top Edits counts the bytes added/removed over time, taking into account surrounding reverts (more at phab:T179996). This is merely a running total of what you see in the revision history (+ or - bytes), not the amount retained after other editors have made copy edits, partial reverts, etc.

In order to determine the amount of content that was retained, you need to measure what's called content persistence, which is a complex problem. Fortunately the kind people at WikiWho have figured this out for us, and we're using their API. Their research and thorough testing shows the algorithm to be around 95% accurate, so I think you can take the authorship stats to heart. The other thing to note is we're showing authorship stats by character count, not bytes as Top Edits does, but for English this shouldn't make much of a difference.

I'm glad you brought this up, because I was wondering if people were confused by the variety of statistics shown in XTools. Maybe we should show the above explanation within the interface. In fact, we're actually showing the authorship stats slightly different than what WikiWho intended. Perhaps I could get your input on this... allow me to explain: The WikiWho stats are measured by tokens, which is basically a word ("foo", "bar") or part of wikitext code (opening of a template, such as {{, or pipe characters |, etc.). So say I put the word "Gooogle Search" in an article. I am now credited with 2 tokens. Someone else comes along and corrects my typo to "Google", and now they are credited with the entire token, and now I'm only credited with 1 token from the word "Search". The same thing happens with wikitext syntax. I thought this was too complicated to explain, so I instead am measuring the character count of each "token". This means the actual numbers may vary from WikiWho slightly, but overall you're still looking at an extremely accurate representation of authorship stats. Does that makes sense? Should I be showing the statistics by "token", as WikiWho intended, or is that too complicated for people to understand?

Hopefully I've answered your question, and any further feedback is greatly appreciated! Regards — MusikAnimal talk 17:39, 2 February 2018 (UTC)

That's really interesting. There are are two very different measures, both of which (actually) have their utility. I think I'll pick some simpler examples and look at it more carefully. (Aesthetically, you have space on the page if you want to give more info, but I do think you made the right choice converting to characters and keeping it simple). Thanks again, I'll play with it some more. Looking at some pages I know pretty well, this tool really does give a much better vision of authorship for article space pages than what was available before. SashiRolls (talk) 22:25, 2 February 2018 (UTC)
I've really been impressed with the remarkably clear vision this tool gives. Someone I was discussing it with suggested I ask if it could be made available for the policy & guideline (Wikipedia:) namespace. Unfortunately, today it's down in mainspace. (It looks like it's just an expired certificate: "cURL error 60: SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired", though maybe that's actually a big deal, I don't know.) I assume the normal procedure would be to bump the phabricator thread. I've made an account, but as I know you're interested in this, I thought I'd leave you a message and ask about the Wikipedia namespace. The old system shows negative values for the top contributors to WP:! , for example ^^. Your help on this "authority" question has been much appreciated. SashiRolls (talk) 16:41, 17 February 2018 (UTC)
@SashiRolls: Glad you're enjoying it! I'm not sure what you mean by the certificate problem. Were you trying to hit the WikiWho API directly? They only support the mainspace, so unfortunately that's all we have right now :/ The negative values you speak of here is most certainly a bug, and I will get to fixing that very soon. I hope it's clear that these are two very different systems, and are not comparable. They measure different things, and can offer different insight into a page's history. The top editors by "added text" can tell you who worked the hardest on the page (for example), while the "authorship" shows whose work was retained. Unfortunately over time, a prolific contributors' work may be erased, and this helps illustrate that. — MusikAnimal talk 20:16, 19 February 2018 (UTC)
@MusikAnimal: yes, I understand how the old system shows very different things from the new system (which bears no traces of conflict). Someone must have fixed the certificate (it started working again yesterday). Even templates are in a separate namespace, I notice. When I've made indexes for books I've been lucky to have friendly authors who thanked me in their acknowledgements section: it's true that not every cross-linker in history gets such mention. Is the plan eventually to roll out authorship for policies and templates? Regards, SashiRolls (talk) 21:08, 19 February 2018 (UTC)
@SashiRolls: I would not expect the Wikipedia and Template namespaces to be supported anytime soon. WikiWho has to store every revision to every page in their database (which costs money), so I think that's partly why they have only supported the mainspace, as that's what most people are interested in. I think right now they are more focused on supporting more Wikipedias. I will let them know people have asked about non-article namespaces, though.

Also, I looked into the bug with Top Edits on w:en:WP:NOT, and it turns out the issue is how revisions were stored way back in the early days of MediaWiki. For instance, if you look at the first seven revisions, which where from 2001, you can see the added/removed bytes don't add up. The edit by The Cunctator is said to have removed 47,919 bytes, but if you look at the actual edit it appears to have removed some 20-30 bytes at most. This is throwing off all the calculations, and unfortunately I don't think we can do anything about it. It's just bad data :( So instead, when viewing a really old page, XTools now shows the notice "This page is very old. Some data may be inaccurate due to how revisions were stored in the early days of MediaWiki.". Hopefully that disclaimer will suffice, for now. Regards — MusikAnimal talk 22:24, 19 February 2018 (UTC)

Thank you very much for your reply and your work on this question. I hadn't been back to meta since I left my message, so I'm just seeing this now; but I *did* just see the banner on another page whose old history doesn't add up (Haiti) using the old system. From the beginning, I've been worried about asking for something that involves disproportionate energy expenditure. In that spirit, there's no need to go digging up the reasons for the clash between the numbers on the Haiti article! (The state of NOT back in 2001 -- with the redlink to Larry Sanger's "Is Wikipedia an Experiment in Anarchy?" -- is certainly fun. Thanks for posting it. I found the article in its new home on meta; it's a pretty good read, as was the state of NOT in 2001!) SashiRolls (talk) 04:45, 21 February 2018 (UTC)


Welcome :). Please email MarcoAurelio in order to get you added to the metawiki admins mailing list. Matiia (talk) 20:47, 21 May 2018 (UTC)

Will do. Thank you! — MusikAnimal talk 22:05, 21 May 2018 (UTC)
Welcome to the corps! — xaosflux Talk 01:33, 22 May 2018 (UTC)


I was considering getting access to abusefilter backends, and when saw the rigmarole I have decided na-ah. At some stage would you be able to have a poke at the enWS filters to see if there are any that are problematic. As a general question, does the backend allow the identification of which filters haven't had a hit in a while? Stepping through each filter to look at its last hit is such a PITA, and getting abusefilter improvements is a dead loss as it is only a select group that care, despite the good that they do. Thanks if you can look-see.  — billinghurst sDrewth 22:33, 22 May 2018 (UTC)

@Billinghurst: Yes many of these could be greatly improved... I can make some adjustments if you want, but I have no rights to do so. Filters 1 and 2 for instance can combine the regex so that it consumes just one condition. Filter 8 doesn't work as written, I think you want article_namespace % 2 == 1 to target talk pages.

The backend does not expose stale filters, but I have a bot task that runs on a few wikis that shows this, see w:User:MusikBot/StaleFilters/Report. I can set this up on your wiki, if you wish. It edits infrequently so I don't think we'd even need the bot flag, we'd just need to make sure it's OK for the bot to write in its userspace (on most wikis this doesn't require bot approval).

I would also recommend adding .mw-abusefilter-editor { width: 600px } to your Common.css, maybe even more than 600px, so that the AbuseFilter editing interface is wider. — MusikAnimal talk 13:40, 25 May 2018 (UTC)

Rights adjusted at enWS—we planned for external expertise loooong ago. Running the low volume bots outside of the content space is fine, and it could be put into a subpage of Wikisource:Maintenance/Admin to do or thereabouts.
Thanks. I'm on wikibreak this weekend for the holiday here in the US, but I'll get to work on filter things next week :) Cheers — MusikAnimal talk 11:36, 26 May 2018 (UTC)
Meh! Nothing urgent here.  — billinghurst sDrewth 05:01, 27 May 2018 (UTC)


--Alaa :)..! 05:44, 25 June 2018 (UTC)

Next steps for the wish “confirmation prompt for the rollback link”

Hello, a while ago you participated in a feedback round about a proposal how accidental clicks on the rollback link could be avoided. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and ideas!
Looking at the feedback and the rollback situation in different wikis, the development team decided how to approach this wish: As a default, most wikis won’t have a confirmation. But users who wish to have one, can enable it in their preferences, which will add a confirmation prompt to the rollback link on the diff page and on the list pages. The prompt won’t be a pop-up, but an inline prompt like for the thanks confirmation. You can read more about the planned solution and what influenced this decision on the project page. -- Best, Johanna Strodt (WMDE) (talk) 09:39, 16 July 2018 (UTC)

Timeless Newsletter • Issue 1

Newsletter • July 2018

Welcome to the first issue of the Timeless newsletter! This issue is being sent or forwarded to everyone who has at some point expressed an interest in the project, give or take, as well as a couple of other potentially relevant pages, so if you would like to continue (or start) receiving this newsletter directly, please sign up for further updates on the meta page.

The news:

The Timeless grant has been selected for funding, and the project is now underway!

While I've had a somewhat slow start working on the project for health reasons, I'm pleased to announce that everything described in the proposal is now either happening, or on its way to happening.

Current progress:

  • The project now has a hub on Meta to serve as a directory for the various related pages, workboards, and local discussions and help pages. It's probably incomplete, especially with regards to specific language projects that might have local pages for Timeless, so if you know of others, please add them!
  • Outreach: I've been talking to various people and groups directly about skinning, desktop/mobile interfaces, project management, specific component support, and other things, and have begun to compile a very shoddy list of skinning problems and random issues on mw.org based on this. Some of this may inform the direction of this project, or possibly this project will result in building a more proper list that can then be used for other things. We shall see.
  • Some development - task triage, code review, bug fixing, and various rabbit holes involving ...overflows.

General plan for the future:

  • Triage the rest of the workboard.
  • Catch up with all the talkpages and other bug reports that have been left various other places that are not the project workboard
  • Do all the bug fixes/features/other things!
  • Some proposals aimed at Commons and Wikisource in particular (maybe, we'll see)

Essentially, the grant as written shall be carried out. This was the plan, and remains the plan. Timelines remain fuzzy, but while there have been some initial delays, I don't particularly expect the timeline for project as a whole to change a whole lot.

Also, for anyone at Wikimania right now: I am also at Wikimania. Come talk to me in person!

Thank you all for your interest and support thus far!

-— Isarra 12:23, 20 July 2018 (UTC)

This issue has been sent regardless of signup status. To receive future issues please add yourself on the massmessage list.

The Community Wishlist Survey


You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.

You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:24, 30 October 2018 (UTC)

Request regarding Vandalism Filters

@MusikAnimal: Hello, I am patroller at Punjabi Wikipedia and would like your help with Vandalism filter. Most Indic Language Wikipedias don't have these filters. Would appreciate your assistance in this. Thank You!Wikilover90 (talk) 17:50, 2 December 2018 (UTC)

@Wikilover90: What is it that you are seeking? I am guessing that you have seen the effects of our global filters, and we have others at meta that act locally that can be ported to Punjab Wikipedia. Generally to act, there should be a consensus of the local community for outside intervention, though stewards and global sysops can act independently, we generally would not without an invitation from local admins. [Noting that having this conversation here may not be the ideal spot.]  — billinghurst sDrewth 20:30, 2 December 2018 (UTC)

@MusikAnimal: Thank you for replying in such a quick time. Appreciate it. I am pleased to know that global filters can be ported to Pa. Wikipedia. As per my understanding, I should put it on our community village pump and have endorsements right? Also, having Punjabi Wikipedia admin reaching out independently for this is mandatory?Wikilover90 (talk) 16:16, 3 December 2018 (UTC)

I will ping one of the paWP administrators as that seems a better way to proceed.  — billinghurst sDrewth 22:23, 3 December 2018 (UTC)
Thanks Billinghurst! I concur with your replies. @Wikilover90: I'll add that most of the comprehensive vandalism-related filters on English Wikipedia are publicly viewable and could be imported to your wiki, or to a global filter for that matter. Obviously some filters look for strings that are specific to the English language, though. MusikAnimal talk 22:34, 3 December 2018 (UTC)

Filter 187

Hi there. I've recently created Special:AbuseFilter/187. Would it be possible for you to check it out and see if the conditions are being efficiently listed or if it needs some tweaks? Thanks. Best regards. —MarcoAurelio (talk) 22:19, 3 December 2018 (UTC)

Noting here that I made one small edit and left some notes. Regards, MusikAnimal talk 22:34, 3 December 2018 (UTC)

Rework Special:AbuseFilter/103

I had wanted to upgrade 103 to disallow, so I reworked it to specific namespaces after reviewing two years of hits. Is what I done the most effective to identify those suspect nss in an array and test in that method? Thanks for your insights.  — billinghurst sDrewth 02:42, 12 December 2018 (UTC)

@Billinghurst: One of the confusing things about AbuseFilter... the "in", "contains", "contains_any", etc., all type cast the arguments into strings. For instance page_namespace in [0, 2, 10] will be true if the namespace is 1, because the array will become "0210" and "1" is a character within it. So we have to use regex, like page_namespace rlike "^(0|2|10)$", where the ^ and $ indicate the beginning/end of the string. I created phab:T181024 for this about a year ago, but for various reasons I think we ultimately decided against changing this behaviour. Hope this helps MusikAnimal talk 02:57, 12 December 2018 (UTC)
Oh bummer, I thought "in" was absolute, which is why I kept away from "contains". Having absolutes for hard data fields would work not get false p+ve and n-ve results. Thanks. Glad I asked, my testing of all other false p+ve hits hadn't produced false results, and I was <deskthunk>sitting here mildly proud of myself</deskthunk>.  — billinghurst sDrewth 03:04, 12 December 2018 (UTC)
mw:Extension:AbuseFilter/Rules format could do with tips like that, though I couldn't work out where to poke it. And I missed the description of "in" there which does say "contain".  — billinghurst sDrewth 03:09, 12 December 2018 (UTC)

'Last hit date' magic for meta

Hi. While I would love a standard "last hit date" as a column in Special:AbuseFilter as the default for that page, my understanding is that it is a difficult beast to do. Are we able to have something done for meta—reactively—so I don't keep having to remember the last count, or drill down to the list view. Abuselog is so busy with the spambots, just running a clear view list is problematic, and building a filtered list is my less preferred means to manage. If it is a selective last hit count, we can omit the busy busy filters (and I can build an exclusion list if that helps0. Thanks if you can help or otherwise suggest.  — billinghurst sDrewth 01:26, 23 January 2019 (UTC)

@Billinghurst: Hey! I usually keep the tab open for the filters I'm actively monitoring, and hit refresh occasionally to see if the hit count went up. Of course if you're monitoring a lot of filters this solution is very much subpar. Frankly I don't see why including a "Last hit" column would be that expensive. Did someone tell you otherwise? Not sure if you're on Phabricator but if so you should create a task! MusikAnimal talk 02:18, 23 January 2019 (UTC)
I am on phabricator, think that I even added you to a task relating to AF and an exclusion task recently. I may even have a task there already about the extra column. I will check when I am back with multiple screens.  — billinghurst sDrewth 03:54, 23 January 2019 (UTC)
phab:T93564 (open) and phab:T33743 (closed).  — billinghurst sDrewth 04:53, 23 January 2019 (UTC)
On that ticket, is it worth asking for a one or six hourly update, rather than having a dynamically-generated "last hit"? Even having it just have a day is more useful than nothing.  — billinghurst sDrewth 10:28, 26 January 2019 (UTC)
Not to worry, I asked the question on the page.  — billinghurst sDrewth 14:12, 26 January 2019 (UTC)

About ec-latestglobal-contributions

I have seen your comment in Phabricator:T224930, about ec-latestglobal-contributions.
I have tried to use this tool, but I am surprised by these requests:

Both requests show only 2 edits on English Wikipedia, whereas has been used for 8 edits on the French Wikipedia. Is it the expected behavior? I had thought that both requests would show 10 edits.
Moreover, I am surprised by the results of these requests, today. I have already used the same requests for the same IP a few days ago and I recall that, at the time, one of the result was limited to one wiki but the other result was showing the 10 edits.
Regards --NicoScribe (talk) 09:42, 10 June 2019 (UTC)

@NicoScribe: Fixed! I thought I had everything working after the actor migration (the GUC has not been migrated, hence why it's broken), but apparently I missed some things. Thanks for letting me know. The project does not matter for XTools' global contributions, by the way; you can use fr.wikipedia, meta.wikimedia, or any valid project. There's also a secret route that I just introduced that does not use a project: https://xtools.wmflabs.org/global-contribs/ Best, MusikAnimal talk 17:15, 11 June 2019 (UTC)

AF miss, though tests okay

Hi. If I could seek your advice. Special:AbuseFilter/224 works fine in test though is missing edits in the wild. Don't understand what is different.

If you batch test Special:AbuseFilter/test/224 with user Өөрд Хальмг 29 and an elevated edit_count it shows success, yet for new edits it is failing. At an earlier time, it has one successful hit, and it doesn't look particularly different from edits that have failed to register by the same editor.

Thanks if you can assist.  — billinghurst sDrewth 05:50, 6 October 2019 (UTC)

@Billinghurst: Is there an example of another user that should have tripped this (you can email me if you'd rather keep this private)? I'm sure you know this, but user_editcount is their current edit count, not the time that the edit was made, hence why we need to elevate that value when doing batch testing. I did make one very small change. Doubtful but it might have something to do with why it wasn't working for other users. MusikAnimal talk 03:36, 8 October 2019 (UTC)
Thanks, I will see if that edit makes a difference, probably new line, rather than top, though my testing was showing success. Yes, re the edit count, known, which was my statement for bumping the count for your testing. "New edits" might have been clearer as "new editors".  — billinghurst sDrewth 04:02, 8 October 2019 (UTC)
Oh, re editors, simply check my user talk page for cyrillic style editor, and some of the other stewards and admins.  — billinghurst sDrewth 04:08, 8 October 2019 (UTC)
@Billinghurst: I made another change that should catch all the relevant editors on your talk page. I do worry about false positives, though, so I moved it to log-only. Of course change it back at your discretion :) MusikAnimal talk 04:57, 8 October 2019 (UTC)
That's cool, I had it log only to start with and only moved over as it had no false positives (for which we now know why). Will watch and better focus it as required.  — billinghurst sDrewth 05:02, 8 October 2019 (UTC)

Notice of review of adminship

Hello MusikAnimal. In accordance with Meta:Administrators/Removal and because you have made fewer than ten logged administrator actions over the past six months, your adminship is under review at Meta:Administrators/Removal/October 2019. If you would like to retain your adminship, please sign there before October 14, 2019. Kind regards, Matiia (talk) 23:09, 7 October 2019 (UTC)

Meta:Requests for adminship/MusikBot II

Done. Please create a userpage for the bot :). Matiia (talk) 00:44, 5 December 2019 (UTC)

Will do. Thanks! MusikAnimal talk 01:03, 5 December 2019 (UTC)

AbuseFilter global language and sister parameters

Hi. Just testing the wind (pre-phabricator mode). @Daimona Eaytoy: extending the opinion.

With our xwiki LTA harassment and vandals, we are at a stage where the ability to utilise some specific parameters from meta looking at parts of the global WMF wiki sphere. How possible would it be to start parsing some of aspects of the magic words? I am wondering whether there could be operators based on language (even just the pagelanguage), and sister (server name).

Where would we be on the spectrum => are "you are kidding me" ... "might be possible but" ... "doable just need to" ... "piece of piss"  ???

Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 00:25, 17 December 2019 (UTC)

Daimona is certainly the expert, but I would think variables for the current wiki and language would be simple to add. Both wouldn't involve running database queries. MusikAnimal talk 01:33, 17 December 2019 (UTC)
I also think those two variables would be fairly easy to implement. I'm almost sure that we already have a task for the server name, but I cannot currently find it. I'll dig through the AF workboard another bit, and create a task if necessary. I'll let you know. --Daimona Eaytoy (talk) 13:30, 17 December 2019 (UTC)
@Billinghurst: T240948 created. --Daimona Eaytoy (talk) 14:02, 17 December 2019 (UTC)
gerrit:#/c/mediawiki/extensions/AbuseFilter/+/558567/ woop woo. Hope the next bits work well.  — billinghurst sDrewth 07:41, 11 February 2020 (UTC)

More Menu

Is there a way to get the old version of en:MediaWiki:Gadget-dropdown-menus-nonvector.js? The new version (in monobook) has extra tabs for history and watch that I was perfectly happy with being grouped into the page menu. At least I think that's what changed, I can't access any other version to compare, although I think File:Cactions tool.png was pretty much it. kennethaw88talk 21:25, 18 December 2019 (UTC)

@Kennethaw88: The old version is gone for good, but I can fix the new one to behave as you say. I wasn't sure if people really wanted those links under Page, since they are so commonly accessed. Thanks for speaking up :) I should have this fixed within the next 24 hours. Best, MusikAnimal talk 21:41, 18 December 2019 (UTC)
This should be fixed now. Let me know if you have any other suggestions or feedback! Best, MusikAnimal talk 00:42, 19 December 2019 (UTC)

Identifying excessive duplicative filters

As it isn't possible to write a filter that is excludes another filter, do you know of a means that we can identify where we are getting excessive overlap of filters? (well one that excludes me eyeballing things), or maybe it is an analysis of two similar filters to identify where there are differences in hits and merging the components so I can kill one. I had hoped that we could have lessened hits on certain filters by excluding hits of spamblacklist though that is now kyboshed. Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 23:40, 21 December 2019 (UTC)

MoreMenu gadget now removes "history" and "watch" tabs in Monobook

Your last edits on MoreMenu gadget have led to this gadget now removes "history" and "watch" tabs in Monobook. Gadget hides this tabs [1], but doesn't unhides them. MBH (talk) 14:03, 2 January 2020 (UTC)

  • @MBH: Sorry for the late reply. I'm on holiday until January 11. The gadget should move the links under the Page menu. This is consistent with the older version, I believe (see above). Do you not see the History and Watch links there, either? MusikAnimal talk 01:11, 9 January 2020 (UTC)
    • I installed this gadget long time ago and, really, forgot about it and doesn't use it. All this time I don't have "Page" and "User" tabs, but have "History" and "Watch" tabs. After your edits, I still doesn't have "Page" and "User" tabs, but also lost "History" and "Watch" tabs, see [2]. It is in element pages, but on my personal page I have "Page" and "User" tabs. MBH (talk) 16:38, 15 January 2020 (UTC)


As it is doing for Commons in IRC, I would like to be able to watch some specific filters at meta for global feeds. Might that be possible? Particularly interested in some LTA where they are doing things out of the way where employing disallow, and don't wish for them to be able to play a lot to work out their new meandering path. Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 05:54, 5 January 2020 (UTC)

Sure thing. I will take care of this when I'm back home on January 11. MusikAnimal talk 01:27, 9 January 2020 (UTC)
@Billinghurst: Done! The live channel is #wikimedia-meta-abuse-logconnect (which I should probably register), but you don't need to hang out there. Just message MusikBot directly with !subscribe meta.wikimedia.org [filter id] and it will message you when the filter is hit. Best, MusikAnimal talk 01:48, 14 January 2020 (UTC)

Pinged, but not leaving it up to chance as it is easy to miss notifications. ~riley (talk) 02:25, 17 January 2020 (UTC)


Hi. Is RockstarHead is a same person of en:User:Khilieexodia17? Maybe have a look at both accounts, and figure out what's going on? 2402:1980:256:DB26:F0AE:C9C2:91A5:9C56 02:12, 20 January 2020 (UTC)

This doesn't seem like a very straightforward case. If you are convinced they are the same, could you start a sockpuppet investigation at w:WP:SPI and elaborate with your findings? MusikAnimal talk 17:25, 20 January 2020 (UTC)

Filter 27

Hi! For some reason Special:AbuseFilter/27 does not work this year. Could you please take a look when you can? I'm sure there's an obvious fix for this I can't see, probably because there's not enough coffee flowing through my veins at this time of the day! Thanks (and good luck!) —MarcoAurelio (talk) 15:49, 8 February 2020 (UTC)

Sorry to bother you again. It is fixed. A missing space made the whole thing to crash. AF loves trolling us heh. —MarcoAurelio (talk) 16:46, 8 February 2020 (UTC)
Hehe alright. Glad you figured it out! And don't ever worry about bothering me :) MusikAnimal talk 18:22, 8 February 2020 (UTC)

joining two variables

In special:abusefilter/237 I am wanting to set a match that will have two combined variables, and for the ease of coding, and reuse as the abuse morphs I thought that I would split the cpts, and join them for required comparison(s). I tried to join variables with a + in the action line ... irlike u1+"\|"+u2 and ... irlike u1+u2 with controlled characters embedded in variable, and they were fails. Would you please check and correct as required, or politely slap me silly on the upside. Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 06:17, 9 February 2020 (UTC)

@Billinghurst: Hehe! I don't see anything blatantly wrong. I think the string concatenation part is fine... you can try the same code (first 3 lines) at Special:AbuseFilter/tools and it evaluates as you would expect. I don't have any examples of where the filter didn't work for you; could email me some diffs? I have some suspicions of what the problem could be, but can't I say for sure. Best, MusikAnimal talk 07:09, 9 February 2020 (UTC)
It was all done in test. My issue was that it was pulling false positives when testing on my user talk page history. Not enough local cases to test, and they are often culled quickly. My coding skills (to lightly use that word for an exposure an epoch ago) are best described as copied and adapted, so if I cannot find good examples, I am sort of stuck, here I lucked in. <shrug> I have enough to turn it on and monitor further, here and some other wikis. Thanks for looking.  — billinghurst sDrewth 11:50, 9 February 2020 (UTC)

Please have a look

Hi, @MusikAnimal: I talked with you about a button used in the community survey the discussion is here. Can you help me using that? If this is possible this will be very helpful. Regards,--*•.¸♡ ℍ𝕒𝕣𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕤𝕙𝕒𝕟 𝔹𝕖𝕟𝕚𝕡𝕒𝕝 ♡¸.•*𝕋𝕒𝕝𝕜 08:35, 12 February 2020 (UTC)

@Benipal hardarshan: Hey, I'm very sorry for the late reply! I have not forgotten about this, I've just been very busy with other matters. I thought at first it would be a simple change, but it seems you'd need a more custom script for your wiki.

As I said in the other discussion, it will be hard to walk you through this. I do have global-interface-editor rights, so with your permission I will set up the gadget for you. Could you give me links to the pages that the gadget should work on? Kind regards, MusikAnimal talk 19:03, 12 February 2020 (UTC)

@MusikAnimal: Thanks for help. Link for the page is here. For rest of pages and for future I'll try to Install it by myself. Please do it for one. I'll try to under the procedure from this. If I need any help I'll ping you.

In the give page we need buttons in support sections as most of the users use mobile phones to edit. The support sections are named as ਸਮਰਥਨ. For any other information just let me know. For instant reply message me on FB. --*•.¸♡ ℍ𝕒𝕣𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕤𝕙𝕒𝕟 𝔹𝕖𝕟𝕚𝕡𝕒𝕝 ♡¸.•*𝕋𝕒𝕝𝕜 03:11, 14 February 2020 (UTC)

The gadget unfortunately works only on pages with a single survey. It worked in the Community Wishlist Survey because each wish was actually a subpage of its own. You could implement that system too, if you want. Better would be to just rewrite AddMe so that it works for any kind of discussion or survey, with a more modern appearance. So, I'm going to give it a try! I think that a lot of communities could make use of it. If I keep my momentum up, I hope to have this done in a week or two. You can follow my progress by monitoring activity on GitHub. Best, MusikAnimal talk 07:23, 14 February 2020 (UTC)

local language "user:"

How do I create a variable that looks for the local language variant of "user:" for the wiki that is being edited? Would I do something with {{int:user}} PST? Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 06:48, 25 February 2020 (UTC)

@Billinghurst: That's a good question. You can't evaluate any parser functions on our end. We might be out of luck :( MusikAnimal talk 23:12, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
Damnation, then follow-up question, how hard would it be to get a list of those and would it be a killer to define that list as a matching variable (sometimes a lasting x-filter variables would be nice). Truth is that I am probably just going to do a suckier and more easily false positive regex.  — billinghurst sDrewth 00:23, 26 February 2020 (UTC)
Not to worry, I just did an uglyish regex.  — billinghurst sDrewth 23:12, 27 February 2020 (UTC)
billinghurst, {{ns:2}}? --Base (talk) 15:55, 28 February 2020 (UTC)
That doesn't work in AbuseFilter though, right? E.g. "{{ns:2}}" in added_lines literally looks for {{ns:2}}. I don't think there is a wikitext parser available to us. MusikAnimal talk 16:22, 28 February 2020 (UTC)
Oh, I have missed context that it is about abuse filter :/ --Base (talk) 16:29, 28 February 2020 (UTC)
Hehe indeed, that isn't obvious from this discussion alone. Billinghurst and I talk about AbuseFilter a lot so I knew to make this assumption :) MusikAnimal talk 16:44, 28 February 2020 (UTC)

globalsearch query timeout

Hi. Not sure whether it is the time of running or the query, I am getting timeouts for a search "spip.php?page=recherche&recherche=http" and even "recherche=http"  — billinghurst sDrewth 23:11, 27 February 2020 (UTC)

I can get the second search to run now. The first seems to be a killer, and after running that it seems to take a while for it all to recover. Apologies  — billinghurst sDrewth 10:36, 28 February 2020 (UTC)
@Billinghurst: Sorry, which tool is this? spip.php doesn't look like toolforge:global-search, which is what I thought you were talking about. MusikAnimal talk 15:44, 28 February 2020 (UTC)
Those are my search terms, it is part of the spam.  — billinghurst sDrewth 22:26, 28 February 2020 (UTC)

A note

Hello Abuse Filter helper, we had recently have a new group Abuse filter maintainer which allows the same level of access with additional rights to edit the filters yourself among other things. If you are interested after reading the documentation, do apply at SRGP. Thanks.Camouflaged Mirage (talk) 08:54, 4 April 2020 (UTC)

@Camouflaged Mirage: MusikAnimal is a steward so they already have the rights of AFM. Btw MusikAnimal you have GIE and AFH which are redundant to steward group as well. Just for the cleanliness in list, can you remove them from your account? Please correct me if I'm missing something. Thankyou. -- CptViraj (📧) 14:49, 4 April 2020 (UTC)
@CptViraj: It's actually up to the steward to decide, some of them elect to retain their rights during stewardship, something like some GRs elects to obtain their local rollback rights while some ask for removal. I will think it's fair for MusikAnimal to retain those rights. Camouflaged Mirage (talk) 18:51, 4 April 2020 (UTC)
No problem if they want to retain those rights. I was just trying to inform. Removing redundant rights is just to make list cleaner, not necessary. Apologize, I should've made my comment in FYI wording. -- CptViraj (📧) 02:59, 5 April 2020 (UTC)
Yeah I wasn't sure what the protocol was. It doesn't seem like too much noise, so I guess I'll leave them be if that's okay. Both user groups sort of advertise an area of expertise, which I like, but I know that's not a compelling reason to keep them (and certainly not add them!). MusikAnimal talk 23:51, 5 April 2020 (UTC)

unwieldy to add to and to test Special:AbuseFilter/72

Hi. Can you think of a better way to build a robust regex that is readily editable. This one works, but it is butt ugly, to the point that many won't/cannot edit it. I know that I hesitate, and truthfully I have probably made it worse at certain times. Part of my concern is that it is too easy to slip in a double pipe and just overly match, and not a good means to test/troubleshoot with this working filter.  — billinghurst sDrewth 02:50, 20 April 2020 (UTC)

@Billinghurst: You could break out each entry into it's own line and concatenate the strings, but that'd end up being a very long list. Some sort of matches_any() function would be ideal. I created filed a task for that a few years ago at phab:T147765. When I work with filters of this size I like to use an external regex editor to make it easier to manage. I created an item for it and left a link at the top of the filter notes. It could use some test cases, if you think it'd be helpful to add any. I also recommend w:User:Suffusion of Yellow/batchtest-plus for testing for breaking changes. It looks like that script should work here on Meta. Best, MusikAnimal talk 04:07, 20 April 2020 (UTC)


When done this way, leaving the actual edits, admins cannot go and revdel the edit, so forever after it is available target to which to undo. Not being able to undo to a bad edit is a good inhibitor. One of the issues of suppression.  — billinghurst sDrewth 21:46, 21 May 2020 (UTC)

Question about block

Hi yesterday I was coming to the end of an editing session on en.wikipedia when i suddenly could not edit and got the following message:

>> You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:
>> Your IP address is in a range that has been blocked on all Wikimedia Foundation
>> wikis.
>> The block was made by MusikAnimal (meta.wikimedia.org). The reason given is
>> Cross-wiki vandalism.
>> Start of block: 00:41, 12 June 2020
>> Expiry of block: 06:41, 12 June 2020
>> Your current IP address is and the blocked range is
>> Please include all above details in any queries you make.
>> If you believe you were blocked by mistake, you can find additional information
>> and instructions in the No open proxies global policy. Otherwise, to discuss the
>> block please post a request for review on Meta-Wiki or send an email to the
>> stewards OTRS queue at stewards@wikimedia.org including all above details.

I am a bit mystified, it seems I got caught up in a rangeblock, which seems odd since I am an extended confirmed user since 2006 and have never been blocked previously. Also i wasn't editing on other wikipedias, only EN, as my global contributions would show. As the blocking admin, I wonder if you could explain what happened, since I am genuinely curious. I can edit again now in any case. Thanks for any explanation. Mujinga (talk) 11:17, 12 June 2020 (UTC)

@Mujinga: Eek, sorry about that! This was my mistake. It seems the "block anonymous users only" option is not on by default in the global block interface, like it is for normal blocks. I'm still a bit new to this, so please accept my apologies. The block was not meant to effect logged-in users at all. I will be certain not to forget to tick that box next time! As for the reasoning of the block, it was just as it says -- cross-wiki vandalism. But again, you were not the intended target. Warm regards, MusikAnimal talk 17:38, 12 June 2020 (UTC)
Ah I see. Well no harm done, thanks for taking the time to explain the error. All the best! Mujinga (talk) 20:46, 12 June 2020 (UTC)


Since you reverted them here on meta, could you please globally block Twitter on WheeIs. They are an LTA and have been engaging in cross-wiki abuse. Thanks, IWI (chat) 20:24, 20 June 2020 (UTC)


Hi. Mariahicky has been blocked in September 2011, but she is returned to edit after eight years, a message to Anna Frodesiak in Maria's talk page. Although Anna retired in last year April, but Maria wishes Anna for unblock herself. I'm afraid she would repeat the same genre warring. 17:23, 31 July 2020 (UTC)

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

18:26, 20 November 2020 (UTC)

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

16:09, 11 December 2020 (UTC)

Script adaptation

Hi. I have a menu bar at the German wikipedia (from Wikipedia: Helferlein/Toolserver-Integration). The commands above are not all translated into German. Can you customize the Script? Here is a Screenshot. Many thanks.Ceweran (talk) 15:04, 16 January 2021 (UTC)

@Ceweran If you can provide me with the translations, I will add them to the script. Please see MediaWiki talk:Gadget-MoreMenu.messages.de.js#Missing messages for the full list of missing messages. Thanks! MusikAnimal talk 22:24, 17 January 2021 (UTC)
@MusicAnimal I will try to help. If I can translate parts, I will get back to you here. Many thanks! Ceweran (talk) 18:21, 18 January 2021 (UTC)
@MusicAnimal Hi. I have finished the translation. I hope that all terms have been translated correctly. You can copy the translations from my discussion page. Regards, Chris.Ceweran (talk) 17:07, 26 January 2021 (UTC)
@Ceweran Done with Special:Diff/21011880. Thank you! MusikAnimal talk 19:00, 26 January 2021 (UTC)
@MusicAnimal Wow, very fast! Thank you!

Hello @MusicAnimal. Hello, I've discovered two errors in my translation: Please change lerren to leeren (Seite -> Cache leeren) and Seiten informationen to Seiteninformationen (Seite -> Analyse -> Seiteninformationen). Thank you. Regards, Chris.Ceweran (talk) 09:29, 31 January 2021 (UTC)

Done Special:Diff/21031562. Thanks, MusikAnimal talk 21:40, 31 January 2021 (UTC)
Thank you!--Ceweran (talk) 19:11, 1 February 2021 (UTC)

CU on testwiki

Hi, do you still need CU on test.wikipedia? [3] --Rschen7754 21:18, 31 January 2021 (UTC)

No. I've removed it. At the time Special:Investigate was only on testwiki. I still can't really make much use of it, but I digress. Best, MusikAnimal talk 21:51, 31 January 2021 (UTC)

ScriptManager and left sidebar refresh

Hi. I implemented ScriptManager yesterday (user:billinghurst/global.gs) and have an issue that numbers of these scripts are left sidebar driven, and not all seem to get a sidebar refresh when I activate them in scriptmanager, effectively invalidating their use. Is there some code that I can add to force the sidebar refresh. For example TemplateScripts fails to appear in edit action, whereas Stewardlinks refreshes. Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 21:40, 7 February 2021 (UTC)

@Billinghurst Hmm, all scriptManager does is run mw.loader.load() for the script you clicked on – basically the same code you would use if you wanted to load the script directly (and not use scriptManager). Are you sure TemplateScripts works fine when you load it normally? i.e. with mw.loader.load("//tools-static.wmflabs.org/meta/scripts/pathoschild.templatescript.js"); Also check if there are any JavaScript errors. MusikAnimal talk 21:39, 8 February 2021 (UTC)
Each of those scripts are existing javascripts that I have used fine up until that time. I will attempt to decipher the error logs though that is not my strength, maybe it is just one of them that is preventing redraw. <shrug> Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 01:19, 9 February 2021 (UTC)

XTools question

Hello, do you know why [4] only finds one "generic rollback" edit while there are many more in the actual page history? Thanks, 𝟙𝟤𝟯𝟺𝐪𝑤𝒆𝓇𝟷𝟮𝟥𝟜𝓺𝔴𝕖𝖗𝟰 (𝗍𝗮𝘭𝙠) 20:06, 27 February 2021 (UTC)

Definitely a bug! I see MediaWiki:Revertpage is customized on this wiki, so the regular expression doesn't match, but it should still identify such edits via the Rollback tag. I'll try to look into this soon, but feel free to create a Phab task :) MusikAnimal talk 15:39, 1 March 2021 (UTC)
Yay, first real development XTools task related to AutoEdits ^^. Thanks! 𝟙𝟤𝟯𝟺𝐪𝑤𝒆𝓇𝟷𝟮𝟥𝟜𝓺𝔴𝕖𝖗𝟰 (𝗍𝗮𝘭𝙠) 16:40, 1 March 2021 (UTC)

Tracked in Phabricator:
Task T276311 Done. 𝟙𝟤𝟯𝟺𝐪𝑤𝒆𝓇𝟷𝟮𝟥𝟜𝓺𝔴𝕖𝖗𝟰 (𝗍𝗮𝘭𝙠) 10:55, 3 March 2021 (UTC)

Beta cluster wiki

Hi, I just blocked by abuse filter while testing a javascript. And ip block on that account (User:Yahya 2) affects my other accounts too. Is it possible to give me sysop right on my main account (User:Yahya) there? It will also help me to test some advanced script.—Yahya (talkcontribs.) 20:38, 6 March 2021 (UTC)

@1997kB: I have seen you're active today. Can you resolve this?—Yahya (talkcontribs.) 07:42, 8 March 2021 (UTC)
@Yahya I have unblocked your alternate account and added ip-block-exempt to your main account. Is there a need for sysop privileges aside from IP block exemption? MusikAnimal talk 19:02, 8 March 2021 (UTC)
Hmm I take that back. Something is broken with user rights management on Beta, apparently. This is not uncommon for the Beta Cluster. I've also noticed it is a bit slow at the moment. If I were you I would do my testing on testwiki, which being a "production" site (group 0 in the deployments train), is more stable and performant than Beta. MusikAnimal talk 19:08, 8 March 2021 (UTC)
Those abuse filters are so aggressive. I'll do my test on testwiki or non-wikimedia site (miraheze) next time. Thanks for your time. Regards. —Yahya (talkcontribs.) 20:08, 8 March 2021 (UTC)

Cross-wiki vandal

Hello! Can you, please, do a request? Very active cross-wiki vandal. --Mykola7 (talk) 00:59, 17 March 2021 (UTC)

Done MusikAnimal talk 01:04, 17 March 2021 (UTC)
Thanks, but I was talking about xwiki-contribsxwiki-date (alt)STIP infoWHOISrobtexgblockglistabuselogbullseye --Mykola7 (talk) 01:05, 17 March 2021 (UTC)
Thank you! --Mykola7 (talk) 01:31, 17 March 2021 (UTC)
Done again! :) MusikAnimal talk 01:32, 17 March 2021 (UTC)


Thanks, for some reason I was just thinking of asking you today. Seems to be refreshed surprisingly quickly. 𝟙𝟤𝟯𝟺𝐪𝑤𝒆𝓇𝟷𝟮𝟥𝟜𝓺𝔴𝕖𝖗𝟰 (𝗍𝗮𝘭𝙠) 21:52, 26 April 2021 (UTC)

@1234qwer1234qwer4 No problem! With all the maintenance work finished I've had some time to catch up on the AutoEdits backlog. I do wish we could find others to help maintain the configuration, too... You would naturally be my first choice, but you aren't an admin here on Meta. Reviewing Meta:Administrators#Policy for requesting adminship, I feel like you might qualify, if you're interested? :) MusikAnimal talk 21:59, 26 April 2021 (UTC)
Thanks, I will certainly consider it (however, "If a candidate is not already a local administrator or holder of advanced permissions on a Wikimedia content project, he or she is less likely pass a request for adminship at Meta"). I noticed you seem to have made a mistake with the sitelink move regexp; it is now counting virtually every sitelink change. Looking at https://xtools.wmflabs.org/autoedits-contributions/www.wikidata.org/1234qwer1234qwer4/all?tool=Sitelink%20move, it should be "Moving sitelink (to[from)". 𝟙𝟤𝟯𝟺𝐪𝑤𝒆𝓇𝟷𝟮𝟥𝟜𝓺𝔴𝕖𝖗𝟰 (𝗍𝗮𝘭𝙠) 22:36, 26 April 2021 (UTC)
@1234qwer1234qwer4 Nice catch, the sitelink move regexp should be fixed now. As for the adminship; you're probably right getting full-on admin rights is more difficult if you're not admin on another project. However, Meta does sometimes grant limited administrator status, be it in duration or scope. In your case, it could be limited just to maintaining the AutoEdits configuration. I suspect if you commit to using your rights only for that one task, the chances of your RfA passing are much higher. Anyway, no pressure! I can also solicit help at WM:RFH. Someone surely is willing to put MediaWiki:XTools-AutoEdits.json on their watchlist and respond to inquiries. MusikAnimal talk 23:29, 26 April 2021 (UTC)
I discussed this off-wiki, and have now opened a request at Meta:Requests for adminship/1234qwer1234qwer4. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
14:02, 27 April 2021 (UTC)
As your suggestion turned out to be successful, I have now familiarised myself with the instructions for the configuration and am ready to help with the open requests. I will ask you if any questions arise. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
21:05, 4 May 2021 (UTC)
@1234qwer1234qwer4 Congrats, and thank you! Everything you've done so far looks great to me. I very much appreciate the help :) I guess at some point we need to set up archiving at MediaWiki talk:XTools-AutoEdits.json. I'm not sure if there is a bot on Meta that recognizes how to archive only after a discussion is closed (on English Wikipedia, we use w:User:ClueBot III for this purpose). Maybe we'll do manual archiving for the time being. MusikAnimal talk 16:40, 5 May 2021 (UTC)
Thanks, I think I set up the automatic archiving. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
16:46, 5 May 2021 (UTC)
We're already down to 14 AutoEdits tasks! These will probably take a bit more time (for some, I'm not quite sure how widely used they are), but many wikis seem to have good coverage of the common tools already. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
14:20, 6 May 2021 (UTC)

Invitation for Functionary consultation 2021


I'm letting you know in advance about a meeting I'd like to invite you to regarding the Universal Code of Conduct and the community's ownership of its future enforcement. I'm still in the process of putting together the details, but I wanted to share the date with you: 26 June, 2021. I do not have a time on this date yet, but I will let you soon. We have created a meta page with basic information. Please take a look at the meta page and sign up under the appropriate section.

Thank you for your time.--BAnand (WMF) 14:04, 2 June 2021 (UTC)

User:MusikAnimal#Useful things (one day we'll get Twinkle working on Meta...)

Shamelessly advertising User:1234qwer1234qwer4/warnings.js, a fork of a script from ruwiki. It adds a button to the editing toolbar. Not as good as Twinkle, but still speeds up some things for me. (Also does not work with syntax highlighting enabled :^(.) ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
21:03, 11 June 2021 (UTC)

@1234qwer1234qwer4 Hehe thanks for letting me know! I actually don't do much "patrolling" here anyway, but wiki-agnostic Twinkle is now a thing, we just need to install it. Maybe next week I'll start a discussion on bringing it to Meta. MusikAnimal talk 21:47, 11 June 2021 (UTC)
Friendly reminder. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
21:16, 20 September 2021 (UTC)

When you have a spare moment ...

... could I please impose upon you to set up MusikBot/AbuseFilterIRC for en.wikisource. Thanks if you can.  — billinghurst sDrewth 11:43, 14 June 2021 (UTC)

@Billinghurst Done! #wikisource-en-abuse-logconnect MusikAnimal talk 16:21, 17 July 2021 (UTC)
Question. I was asked whether the global filters that trigger on a local wiki are able to be logged through the wiki-specific IRC channel. I had to shrug, so here to ask the question. Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 01:14, 4 August 2021 (UTC)


Hello, since you created and are maintaining the filter, I would like to ask you before making any major change to it. I saw a restriction to metawiki and loginwiki at Special:AbuseFilter/251 to avoid cluttering the log with lots of account auto-creations when the global account already exists, and I think this would make sense for the BMX filter as well. If you don't have any objections, I'd implement it. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
11:24, 13 July 2021 (UTC)

I've emailed you. MusikAnimal talk 16:32, 17 July 2021 (UTC)
I've responded now, though I had taken note of it earlier. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
21:09, 29 September 2021 (UTC)

combining user defined variables

I must be missing something I am trying to combine three matches into one concatenation match like "first + inter + second" and yet it is matching on one term. How do I write the regex to match on the concatenation? Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 02:24, 8 August 2021 (UTC)

@Billinghurst I've found depending on the function used, you may need to wrap your concatenation with parentheses to ensure the order of operations in the expression is correct. Additionally, you'll probably want pipes separating the strings so to have a logical OR in your regex. For instance user_name irlike (first + '|' + inter + '|' + second). Does that help? I find Special:AbuseFilter/tools to be very useful for testing these sorts of things, too. MusikAnimal talk 16:27, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
I don't want OR, I want the ordered concatenation of the three regex stems. When joined variable is used, it is wrapped.  — billinghurst sDrewth 00:59, 11 August 2021 (UTC)
Evaluating the following at Special:AbuseFilter/tools gives me the expected output:
first := "first";
inter := "inter";
second := "second";
istitle := first + inter + second;
I also added i.e. "inter" rlike istitle and that gives me false, as expected. MusikAnimal talk 05:15, 11 August 2021 (UTC)
Then I clearly am a nonce doing something wrong as this with AF/289 is getting a match and I must be missing the blindingly obvious.  — billinghurst sDrewth 14:13, 11 August 2021 (UTC)
@Billinghurst That's because the concatenation of a|b, c, and d|e is a|bcd|e, matching specifically "a" and "e". You are missing some parentheses. Will fix now. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
10:52, 12 August 2021 (UTC)
Of course. I am thinking that it is evaluating a result too early. <facepalm>  — billinghurst sDrewth 11:18, 12 August 2021 (UTC)

Namespace restriction ignored in autoedits-contributions?

Hello, if you take a look at [5], the page shows edits in namespaces 1 (Talk), 3 (User talk), and 119 (Draft talk) despite the namespaces being restricted to [0,2,4,5,118] at MediaWiki:XTools-AutoEdits.json. I will update the namespace list after your reply, but is this intended behaviour? I hope the restriction is correctly read by autoedits at least.
The same can be observed with this tool, which is currently restricted to the namespaces [0,2] (not sure why; this script is never used in userspace, but I will fix later). ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
16:19, 21 September 2021 (UTC)

Update: Looking at [6], autoedits does seem to respect the restrictions. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
16:22, 21 September 2021 (UTC)
It sounds like a bug with autoedits-contributions, for sure. If it was by design, it wasn't intentional. I can fix it when time allows. Would you mind creating a task? Thank you for identifying these issues! :) MusikAnimal talk 05:02, 22 September 2021 (UTC)
The current behaviour would actually also make sense to me (kind of), since the namespace restriction is mainly done for efficiency purposes and autoedits-contributions won't need to run for that long anyway as it only checks against one regexp. On the other hand, in the current state, the number of edits found is inconsistent between the tools (which is especially apparent when autoedits counts a small number of edits), and verifying the configuration (in sandbox mode) is made harder. Might as well submit a task a bit later. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
09:31, 22 September 2021 (UTC)

Need help at hiwiki with Gadget Twinkle

Hello, Some modules of Twinkle are not functioning (i.e. CSD, XFD, and Warn) for some days. Earlier fluf too was not working and I tried to fix. after this we are able to use Rollback features.

I believe you can take a look and help us. Thank you.--SM7--talk-- 05:31, 16 October 2021 (UTC)

@SM7: Do you really need full Twinkle? Probably better to set up TwinkleGlobal and also refer to Steward requests/Miscellaneous for that similar conversation.  — billinghurst sDrewth 13:56, 16 October 2021 (UTC)
@Billinghurst I'm not a hiwiki editor, but if a wiki has a full set of discussion venues, a script that can only revert and do basic speedy deletion tagging will definitely not be sufficient/"probably better". twinkle-starter might be worth a shot, though. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
14:38, 16 October 2021 (UTC)
Hi @Billinghurst and 1234qwer1234qwer4:, We already have full twinkle functionalities (supporting templates to tag and notices, discussion venues etc.) for many years and even some new users are quite acquainted with them. Also, Our XFD process is also different from enwiki or other wikis, and our local Twinkle is well having a fully functional module for it.
The only problem is that our codes are old and not updated because the User (and then Admin), Siddharth Ghai, who installed it, is no longer active. Just to mention, Hindi Wiki was one of the earliest wikis where this tool was fully adapted and installed. It has a fork on GitHub but since the only maintainer gone inactive, these scripts are updated only when something breaks and we have somehow managed them to remain in working conditions.
My problem is that I am no programmer. I can just copy-paset, tweak, or translate scripts from other wikis. Most of the times it works if something breaks on hiwiki. But this time I am unable to do this. That's why I am looking for someone who really understands and maintains Twinkle scripts and can help us. We have complaints on our VP and we need to address them. At first,the complains were about Rollback feature and I searched and found this on GitHub and tried to implement it. It was a success. But for the rest, I am lost. That's why I searched for those people who understand Twinkle scripts. Please help me at least finding who can help us. I didn't go to meta because this not a global issues of any kind and Stewards will accept this request - I'm not sure. Thanks to both of you.--SM7--talk-- 15:39, 16 October 2021 (UTC)
@SM7 I'm sorry I do not maintain Twinkle these days. However there is a new official system that is designed to work on any wiki, where you can selectively decide which modules you want to use (or customize them to suit your wiki). See wikimedia-gadgets/twinkle-starter on GitHub for instructions. I'm afraid you'll need someone adept at JavaScript to get this to work, though. As the author of twinkle-starter, SD0001 may be available to assist. I see from the README there is also a Discord server for Wikimedia-Gadgets. You may be able to find help there as well. Hope this helps and good luck! MusikAnimal talk 20:20, 18 October 2021 (UTC)

Dummy edit so I can use Special:PageTranslation

Hi! This edit was not necessary—you can use Special:PageTranslation without dummy edits, just open the special page and find the page in the Pages in translation section. (Or use the bookmarklet javascript:location.href=mw.config.get('wgServer')+mw.util.getUrl('Special:PageTranslation/'+mw.config.get('wgPageName'),{'do':'mark'}) like me.) By the way, why did you need to use Special:PageTranslation? Unfortunately I can’t see what you changed. —Tacsipacsi (talk) 00:44, 11 November 2021 (UTC)

@Tacsipacsi Thanks for the tip! I was trying to make sure the "Enable translation aware transclusion" was checked, but it turned out the translation I was expecting to see (Arabic) simply doesn't exist yet, hence why it wasn't showing up in the transclusion :) MusikAnimal talk 19:22, 11 November 2021 (UTC)
You can see translation-aware translation status even without opening the form—Special:PageTranslation marks pages without translation-aware transclusion support with no transclusion support. Also, you’ll notice if a template without translation-aware transclusion is transculded (unless it uses a #switch-based hack like {{archive-index}}, or it’s transcluded through {{TNT}}/{{TNTN}}): <translate> tags are not processed on transcluded pages, so the output is full of garbage tags. —Tacsipacsi (talk) 03:12, 12 November 2021 (UTC)

Speak by email

Hi, How can I ask you a private question?--Grilando (talk) 12:19, 16 November 2021 (UTC)

@Grilando You can use Special:EmailUser/MusikAnimal. MusikAnimal talk 15:59, 16 November 2021 (UTC)

How we will see unregistered users


You get this message because you are an admin on a Wikimedia wiki.

When someone edits a Wikimedia wiki without being logged in today, we show their IP address. As you may already know, we will not be able to do this in the future. This is a decision by the Wikimedia Foundation Legal department, because norms and regulations for privacy online have changed.

Instead of the IP we will show a masked identity. You as an admin will still be able to access the IP. There will also be a new user right for those who need to see the full IPs of unregistered users to fight vandalism, harassment and spam without being admins. Patrollers will also see part of the IP even without this user right. We are also working on better tools to help.

If you have not seen it before, you can read more on Meta. If you want to make sure you don’t miss technical changes on the Wikimedia wikis, you can subscribe to the weekly technical newsletter.

We have two suggested ways this identity could work. We would appreciate your feedback on which way you think would work best for you and your wiki, now and in the future. You can let us know on the talk page. You can write in your language. The suggestions were posted in October and we will decide after 17 January.

Thank you. /Johan (WMF)

18:17, 4 January 2022 (UTC)

Stalktoy to MoreMenu

Hi MusikAnimal, thanks for creating MoreMenu, this useful gadget. I wonder if it is possible to add Stalktoy to "User > Analysis" part? This is really helpful when deciding the range of a range block, also helpful in analyzing user's x-wikiness. Thanks! Stang 22:56, 25 January 2022 (UTC)

504 Timeout for copyvios.toolforge.org

Hello MusikAnimal,

the tool currently only returns 504. If I'm not too impatient, could you check this? Thank you. Best wishes, --Leserättin (talk) 10:10, 11 February 2022 (UTC)

Global block:

Hey, this IP address appears to have been blocked by you recently. At least, I was editing from an internet cafe and then got a blocked message mentioning you. This IP address belongs to a wifi portal provider used in coffee shops in the UK and apparently has 22 thousand access points (see the recent discussion here) Do we intend to block thousands of coffee shops and pubs in the UK? I tend to exclusively edit in coffee shops (at least during the day). Talpedia (talk) 14:50, 27 March 2022 (UTC)

This range has all the red flags of vulnerable to abuse, and I see there was abuse that led me to blocking this particular IP. Our tooling gave no indication this was anything but a webhost, hence why I did a hard block. Now knowing it is in fact not a webhost, and the abuse has long since passed, I have unblocked the IP. However I can't guarantee that future blocks won't happen (from others or myself), especially with all these mixed signals in the WHOIS reports… anyways thanks for contacting me, and my apologies for the inconvenience. MusikAnimal talk 16:15, 28 March 2022 (UTC)

UPD (see MediaWiki talk:XTools-AutoEdits.json#AFCRHS @ enwiki): It appears that even autoedits itself ignores the restriction unless a namespace not listed is specified. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
17:56, 28 April 2022 (UTC)

CWS Current projects (translation)

Thank you pushing CWS Editions_and_projects for translation. Could you instruct me why it seems that I can't translate en-ja the section Current projects  ? Cheers, --Omotecho (talk) 07:03, 3 July 2022 (UTC)

@Omotecho: What do you mean by “it seems you can’t translate”? If I open the translation interface, all untranslated bits show up, I can open them and I can also type in some text (I didn’t try to actually save them, since I can’t translate into Japanese). —Tacsipacsi (talk) 23:29, 3 July 2022 (UTC)
Case closed. @Tacsipacsi, hi! Thank you for jumping in, and my bad, it works!
Gosh my brain should have been cooked with 35+ Celsius/70+% humidity outside... Appreciate your rescue dispatch this time very much. Cheers, -- Omotecho (talk) 00:34, 4 July 2022 (UTC)

Quarry query

Hello, MusikAnimal,

If I wanted to change https://quarry.wmcloud.org/query/59028 to look at my own edits, which field would I change and what identifying information would I be adding? I saw you put together this query for another editor on the Feedback page. Thanks for your technical knowledge and help! Liz (talk) 20:37, 19 July 2022 (UTC)

@Liz I've updated the query to accept a username (see the part that says WHERE actor_name = 'Liz'). Note also the time constraint with AND rev_timestamp BETWEEN 20200101000000 AND 20201231125959. If you don't want that, fork the query and comment out that line. Best, MusikAnimal talk 15:30, 20 July 2022 (UTC)


My main account is Jefferson9000 (talk · contribs). I created this account because I lost the password and email to it and I’m trying to get it globally locked. Jefferson9000 (Talk) 16:21, 28 September 2022 (UTC)

Do you want to subscribe to the Wikimedians for Sustainable Development newsletter?

Hello! Thanks for being a member of Wikimedians for Sustainable Development. We recently did a poll and understood that our newsletter was quite unknown. This is therefore a one-time invitation for all our members to sign up for our monthly newsletter. Best regards, Ainali talkcontributions 14:47, 28 December 2022 (UTC)

Wikimedians for Sustainable Development - December 2022 Newsletter

This is our twentysecond newsletter, covering December 2022. This issue has news related to SDGs 3, 5, 13, 15 and 16.






Featured content

New Wikidata properties

This message was sent with Global message delivery by Ainali (talk) 14:37, 1 January 2023 (UTC)ContributeManage subscription

Wikimedians for Sustainable Development - January 2023 Newsletter

This is our twentythird newsletter, covering January 2023. This issue has news related to SDGs 3, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 16.






Featured content

New Wikidata properties

This message was sent with Global message delivery by Ainali (talk) 16:25, 1 February 2023 (UTC)ContributeManage subscription

Wikimedians for Sustainable Development - February 2023 Newsletter

This is our twentyfourth newsletter, covering February 2023. This issue has news related to SDGs 2, 3, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 and 16.






New Wikidata properties

Wikidata query examples

Featured articles

This message was sent with Global message delivery by Ainali (talk) 18:57, 1 March 2023 (UTC)ContributeManage subscription

Script request?

Hello! I was wondering if it'd be possible to code a script (since changing the AbuseFilter codebase is most likely not going to happen any time soon) to put a CentralAuth and GlobalBlock links next to the user/IP triggering the filter such as:

14:34, 5 March 2023: User:111.222.333.444 (xx.wiktionary.org) (centralauth · global block · guc) triggered filter xxx, performing the action "edit" on xxx. Actions taken: none; Filter description: Antivandalism (global) (details | examine | diff)

If the script could differentiate betweek registered users and IP addresses it'd be awesome, if not, I'm happy with both links. This will ease my global abusefilter log patrol activities several magnitudes. If you don't have time or don't want to do it that's, of course, totally fine. In any case, best wishes. —MarcoAurelio (talk) 14:50, 5 March 2023 (UTC)

+ guc for https://guc.toolforge.org/?by=date&user=$user which would be awesome to have too. —MarcoAurelio (talk) 14:53, 5 March 2023 (UTC)
I used $9 to create them via MediaWiki:Abusefilter-log-detailedentry-meta. I guess I can survive with these for now :-) —MarcoAurelio (talk) 15:00, 5 March 2023 (UTC)
@MarcoAurelio Yeah I was going to say I would guess there's an interface message we can customize. I will however silently point to Suffusion of Yellow as a great AbuseFilter script author! They may be interested in working on this further if you still need something. MusikAnimal talk 19:20, 6 March 2023 (UTC)

Wikimedians for Sustainable Development - March 2023 Newsletter

This is our twentyfifth newsletter, covering March 2023. This issue has news related to SDGs 3, 5, 10, 13, 15 and 16.




New Wikidata properties

Featured content

This message was sent with Global message delivery by Ainali (talk) 07:42, 1 April 2023 (UTC)ContributeManage subscription


Where can I review Urdu translations for this? This appear to be some errors. Translatewiki or elsewhere? ─ The Aafī (talk) 18:32, 21 April 2023 (UTC)

also please tell me ur:میڈیاویکی:Gadget-dropdown-menus-vector.js, is this ready to be deleted as you say in the edit summary? I'd be happy to do the cleanup work. I figured somewhere that: #25 "check-redirects": "رجوی مکررات کی جانچ پڑتال" has an error, and though there exist some others but this one is serious. Please change the word رجوی to رجوع. Thanks. ─ The Aafī (talk) 18:38, 21 April 2023 (UTC)
I am asking for the deletion-clarification only because it has been several years and no one else has touched it. If the three edit summaries on ur:خاص:شراکتیں/MusikAnimal still stand valid, please confirm, and I will delete all these three pages locally. ─ The Aafī (talk) 18:40, 21 April 2023 (UTC)
@TheAafi Urdu translations are at MediaWiki:Gadget-MoreMenu.messages.ur.js. Just either ping me or make a protected edit request on the talk page. And yes, those three pages can still be deleted. MusikAnimal talk 04:09, 24 April 2023 (UTC)
@MusikAnimal, done, the pages have been deleted by my colleague because I do not have interface rights on Urdu Wikipedia. Please update the translation that I have highlighted above. ─ The Aafī (talk) 06:53, 24 April 2023 (UTC)
Done with Special:Diff/24931273. Best, MusikAnimal talk 17:10, 24 April 2023 (UTC)

GIE Granted

Hello MusickAnimal, following your request, the global interface editor flag has been added to your account. This flag is designed to be temporary in nature, but as this is a repeat grant it has been issued for 2 years, you may begin a renewal application prior to the expiration at that time. Please refamiliarize yourself with the expectations of this role at Interface editors. Best regards, — xaosflux Talk 21:24, 24 April 2023 (UTC)

Wikimedians for Sustainable Development - April 2023 Newsletter

This is our twenty-sixth newsletter, covering April 2023. This issue has news related to SDGs 2, 4, 5, 6, 11, 13, 14, 15 and 16.





New Wikidata properties

Featured content

This message was sent with Global message delivery by Ainali (talk) 19:31, 2 May 2023 (UTC)ContributeManage subscription

MusikBot offline

Hello, looks like MusikBot has been offline for the last two days. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
14:00, 18 May 2023 (UTC)

@1234qwer1234qwer4 Which tasks are you referring to? User:MusikBot II/TemplateProtector or one of the tasks for other wikis? MusikAnimal talk 06:17, 19 May 2023 (UTC)
I meant the IRC bot. Sorry! ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
07:44, 19 May 2023 (UTC)
Ah okay, restarted :) Of course, nothing in the logs explaining what happened. The main issue here is phab:T306391 and phab:T315729. There isn't a workable solution at the moment to auto-restart whenever the bot dies, which wasn't a problem in the past when we were using the Toolforge grid. That's deprecated now, so until Kubernetes has feature parity, occasionally the bot is doomed to die requiring a manual restart. Anyway, thanks for letting me know! MusikAnimal talk 08:11, 19 May 2023 (UTC)
Thanks! ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
19:33, 19 May 2023 (UTC)

global-search and case sensitivity

Hi MA.

Freenode • global-search and freenode • global-search give different, case-sensitive results, and converting that to a regular expression seems weird approach. Is there a different syntax that can be used to get case-insensitivity? Seems that with case sensitivity it will be a means to miss things from within {{LinkSummary}} if a spammer plays silly buggers with us.  — billinghurst sDrewth 06:54, 29 May 2023 (UTC)

@Billinghurst As far as I know this is only possible using a regular expression. However, since you're doing an exact match with double quotes, it's actually doing a regex search anyway behind the scenes. I should maybe document this or something. Anyway, despite the warning, a regex search as specific as this one should perform just fine. On my end it took only ~30 seconds. Best, MusikAnimal talk 04:10, 1 June 2023 (UTC)

Recent MoreMenu adjustment

I know you're having fun with skinning stuff, but your recent edit to MM caused phab:T338668. Can you adjust the selector? Izno (talk) 19:44, 12 June 2023 (UTC)

Eh, I wouldn't call it "fun", hehe :) I've deployed another hotfix. It should take effect in ~10 minutes (after ResourceLoader does its thing). Thanks for reporting, MusikAnimal talk 19:51, 12 June 2023 (UTC)

New quirk in globalsearch, title parameter now required

It seems that searches are requiring the use of the title= parameter whether it is needed or not. I don't use the parameter in {{LinkSummary}} and it throws an error Typed property App\Model\Query::$titlePattern must be string, null used

Yet if I do the same "search" with appending &namespaces=&title= as a default search does, then it works fine. Happy to change it over if required, thought that I would flag the quirk first.  — billinghurst sDrewth 22:34, 6 July 2023 (UTC)

Should be fixed now. Thanks for letting me know :) MusikAnimal talk 03:07, 7 July 2023 (UTC)

Global search: title pattern

Looking at the global search form, it says Title pattern: (without namespace) and I have only just now realised that it needs to be a regex in the line, not just a pattern, or a keyword. [Yes, I didn't read the fine print.] Can I suggest that for many others may not see the parameter field name aligning with the need for a regex expression (as in my grammar a pattern can just be a string).

If it does need to a regular expression, can we be more overt? Maybe even through in a wikilink to something to help on regex, or a warning that that line is not a simple alternative. Even something like having some drop downs at both ends of the title field with .*(default), ^, $ and (nothingness) that could at least make things obvious and simpler for the neophytes who just drop in a keyword. Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 01:27, 24 July 2023 (UTC)

Well, it's only sort of a regular expression. For the end user, treating it like a keyword is generally fine and should give the expected results. The flavour of regex used by Elastic Search isn't actually a full implementation. I.e. anchor operators like ^ and $ will not work. So if you searched for "foobar" expecting to get titles that are exactly or contain the word "foobar", simply putting in "foobar" works (though it is case-sensitive; I'm not certain if we have control over that).
Anyway I definitely agree we should link to the docs or something, especially since this is not the same regex engine many of us are used to -- PCRE/PRCE2 as is used by PHP (i.e. AbuseFilter), or the similar JavaScript regex syntax.
I will add a link and maybe change the field from "pattern" to "regular expression", for further clarity. Thanks for the suggestion! MusikAnimal talk 17:51, 24 July 2023 (UTC)

Error with Mediaviews Analysis (on Wikimedia Commons)?

Hi there! I hope you are doing well. I noticed that you are one of the three programmers that developed the Pageview Analysis tool. So recently Mediaviews Analysis on Wikimedia Commons keeps showing the error message: "Error querying Media requests API - Not Found" for several old files (files uploaded > 1 day). Is there any ongoing improvement to this tool? Thanks. Đại Việt quốc (talk) 13:20, 3 October 2023 (UTC)

@Đại Việt quốc It's likely the same as phab:T347899 which is an issue upstream with the pageviews API. Does the file names have parentheses, spaces, or a dash in them? If so, that's the issue. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. MusikAnimal talk 05:07, 4 October 2023 (UTC)
Hi! Thanks for replying. So the filename has parentheses and diacritics in them, spaces were fine though. This never happened before, was there any modifications done to the code of the tool? Đại Việt quốc (talk) 01:01, 13 October 2023 (UTC)
There have been no recent updates to Mediaviews, no. If you're saying this worked before, it sounds like a regression in the pageviews API. At any rate, the right people are now aware of it so it should be fixed in due time. MusikAnimal talk 19:18, 16 October 2023 (UTC)

Question about Mediaview on Commons :)

I'm trying to understand where views are coming from on Commons; just a few hundred categories seem to capture most of the top 10k media? across a wide range of daily views. Almost all logos (I get they are embedded) and bodies, from 10M views down to 500/month. And the results seem quite different from wmcloud views (some examples at task T353892)

I'm curious if you have 5 minutes to chat about the methodology sometime + what we could learn about the distribution of users / sessions / potential sources of traffic. Warmly, –SJ talk  01:50, 22 December 2023 (UTC)

Hi! Mediaviews uses the mediarequests per-day API endpoint as provided by the Data Engineering team. There's not much more magic going on under the hood than simply plotting out the data given by the API. I've replied at phab:T353892#9425720 with my findings. Hope this helps. MusikAnimal talk 17:25, 26 December 2023 (UTC)