User talk:Ocaasi

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Edit Visualisation tool[edit]

Thanks for trying out the tool & the feedback. I'll be adding sliders to narrow the edits to be played out.--Jeph paul (talk) 11:25, 24 August 2013 (UTC)

Grant input[edit]

Hello! I wanted to let you know that I've prepared a good portion of the grant over at Grants:IEG/Reimagining WP Mentorship, but I'd really appreciate your review and input as soon as it is convenient for you! Feel free to just make changes, especially in regards to budgeting (unsure of prospective values), additions, and changes in wording. Thanks! --Jackson Peebles (talk) 02:51, 18 September 2013 (UTC)

Please fill out our brief Participation Support Program survey[edit]

Hello, the Wikimedia Foundation would like your feedback on the Participation Support Program! We have created a brief survey to help us better understand your experience participating in the program and how we can improve for the future. You are being selected to participate in our survey because you submitted or commented on Participation Support requests in the past.

Click here to be taken to the survey site.

The survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete. We really appreciate your feedback! And we hope to see you in the Participation Support Program again soon.

Happy editing,

Siko and Haitham, Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation.

This message was sent via Global message delivery on 21:44, 18 September 2013 (UTC)

Help test better mass message delivery[edit]

Hi. You're being contacted as you've previously used global message delivery (or its English Wikipedia counterpart). It doesn't feel so great to be spammed, does it? ;-)

For the past few months, Legoktm has built a replacement to the current message delivery system called MassMessage. MassMessage uses a proper user interface form (no more editing a /Spam subpage), works faster (it can complete a large delivery in minutes), and no longer requires being on an access list (any local administrator can use it). In addition, many tiny annoyances with the old system have been addressed. It's a real improvement! :-)

You can test out MassMessage here: testwiki:Special:MassMessage. The biggest difference you'll likely notice is that any input list must use a new {{#target:}} parser function. For example, {{#target:User talk:Jimbo Wales}} or {{#target:User talk:Jimbo Wales|test2.wikipedia.org}}. For detailed instructions, check out mw:Help:Extension:MassMessage.

If you find any bugs, have suggestions for additional features, or have any other feedback, drop a note at m:Talk:MassMessage. Thanks for spamming! --MZMcBride (talk) 05:25, 1 October 2013 (UTC)

Diversity[edit]

Jake, hope you have been well since we met in DC. I am glad to see you will be attending the Diversity Conference! --Another Believer (talk) 16:23, 9 October 2013 (UTC)

Ah, sorry for the confusion, but I will not be attending the Diversity Conference as my proposal was not accepted. I had hoped to present Wikimedia LGBT as a means of facilitating and promoting LGBT-related activity on Wikimedia projects, and gauge interest among other attendees, but alas someone else will have that opportunity. Please enjoy your time in Berlin--hopefully our paths will cross again soon. Best, --Another Believer (talk) 15:44, 24 October 2013 (UTC)
Great job, Jake, really. --Another Believer (talk) 03:04, 26 November 2013 (UTC)

Beginning of MassMessage, end of EdwardsBot[edit]

Hi. You're being contacted as you're listed as an EdwardsBot user.

MassMessage has been deployed to all Wikimedia wikis. For help using the new tool, please check out its help page or drop a note on Meta-Wiki.

With over 400,000 edits to Wikimedia wikis, EdwardsBot has served us well; however EdwardsBot will no longer perform local or global message delivery after December 31, 2013.

A huge thanks to Legoktm, Reedy, Aaron Schulz and everyone else who helped to get MassMessage deployed. --MZMcBride (talk) 02:36, 22 November 2013 (UTC)

Hello Ocaasi[edit]

Hi Ocaasi, my name is Alex Peek and I just proposed this IEG here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/Global_Economic_Map

Jonathan Morgan said you were a good person to ask for advice on the budget. How would you go about breaking down the budget in terms of hours and hourly rate of pay for me and for any other paid participants (people to build the bots, etc.)

Thanks, Mcnabber091 (talk) 21:32, 23 November 2013 (UTC)

Hi Mcnabber091, congrats on your proposal--neat idea! 5,000 for your project management; 4,000 for bots; 1,000 for travel. That's my first instinct and what I would do if it were me. Some people like to justify this with an hourly rate, so for example you may value your time at $20/hour which would mean your project management expectation is to put in 250 hours, which over 6 months is about 40 hours per month or 10 hours per week. You can further break that down with a qualitative description of what kinds of tasks you will be doing as part of your project management: research, planning, recruiting contractors, drafting code specifications, usability testing, outreach and implementation, etc. Coders and design experts typically earn a higher amount, so perhaps you would say they are earning $40/hr over 100 hours--15 hours per month and 4 hours per week. That is just an approximation, of course, as coders typically are paid for completion of a project rather than time spent and will do the majority of their work during a more intense development sprint. The key with budgets is to be reasonable and flexible. Project management expenses in particular are appropriate because the project manager is responsible for all of the pieces coming together, and it's essential that you be able to devote a serious amount of effort, attention, and energy to making sure your project comes together. I like to ask myself--if I were to devote the kind of time necessary for this project to be a success, how much funding would I need to offset my focus and dedication so that I can sustainably commit to these kinds of projects? With contractors, like coders and designers, I find it key to provide an amount of funding that ensures they take the job seriously and are prepared to work on a dedicated timeline with a clear and complete product delivery ready to go when you need it finished. When you breakdown your timeline, it's nice to create a separate line-item for each piece, so that each chunk of funding is associated with specific people and tasks. Is this helpful? When in doubt, ask User:Sbouterse (WMF), goldmine of advice. Ocaasi (talk) 13:32, 24 November 2013 (UTC)
Thank you that was helpful. I updated the budget section with your suggestions. I'm not sure about the line item expenses yet especially for the programming side of things. And how should I go about finding a programmer? Mailing list? Mcnabber091 (talk) 02:04, 25 November 2013 (UTC)
Hey Mcnabber091. I'd post to Village Pump tech, wikimedia-l, wikitech-, and ask Sumanah and Sbouterse. It's going to take some poking around on that one. You also might pop into the mediawiki and wikimedia and wikitech irc channels and ask around. Good luck! Ocaasi (talk) 17:19, 25 November 2013 (UTC)

Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal Clinics[edit]

Idea Lab
Idea Lab

Hello, Ocaasi! We've added Events to IdeaLab, and you're invited :)

Upcoming events focus on turning ideas into Individual Engagement Grant proposals before the March 31 deadline. Need help or have questions about IEG? Join us at a Hangout:

  • Thursday, 13 March 2014, 1600 UTC
  • Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 1700 UTC
  • Saturday, 29 March 2014, 1700 UTC

Hope to see you there!

This message was delivered automatically to IEG and IdeaLab participants. To unsubscribe from any future IEG reminders, remove your name from this list

WP Med Newsletter proposal[edit]

Hello Ocaasi! Thanks for you newsletter here: [[1]]. I think that it's very important to have a newsletter but having seen your newsletter would like to make some proposals:

  1. Increase the frequency of the newsletter so that each newsletter can be shorter
  2. Decrease the threshold for comprehensiveness
  3. Add a monthly focus
  4. Increase the focus on WP.
  5. Rename to "WikiProject Medicine"
1. Increase the frequency

Reading the current newsletter, it seems that every single thing is trying to be squeezed and crammed in to every newsletter. There is clearly a feeling that there are so many things to talk about, it's hard to cover them all. I suggest that each issue is more frequent. This means less can be covered. Lists can be smaller. This should decrease the pressure on the editors and the ease with which letters can be created. Therefore I propose letters are released every month for the first 6 months, and then every quarter thereafter.

2. Decrease the threshold for comprehensiveness

With more frequent editions, the second change that should be made is a decrease in the threshold for what is a "complete" edition. I don't mean a formal decrease, but a decrease in expectations. I say this to decrease the pressure on editors that an edition must be "perfect". This leads to a lot of pressure and subsequent procrastination. In addition, combined with an increased frequency (for a short period), anything that is left out can be left in a subsequent edition or quickly appended within the first 1-2 days of publication.

3. Add a focus to each newsletter.

Following the example follow WP:MILHIST, a monthly focus is an excellent way to crystallize and communicate certain ideas which can be referred to in the future. We can have editions on the history of WPMED, use of MEDRS and perhaps some things related to dispute resolution and extra-wiki collaboration. These are excellent reference points to which editors can refer, and very useful things to communicate to all users. In addition, they are very relevant concepts for WPMED. We could also have editions on new advances in Medicine, such as an overview of the DSM5. These are just suggestions, but I certainly think a monthly focus is a useful tool for communicating.

If we have some frequent editions at the start, there won't be that pressure that there are so many topics and so little time. Some issues, which may change quite slowly, can be encapsulated in focuses rather than regularly referred to. A focus can also (I believe) increase the utility and interest-value to editors.

4. Increase the focus on WP

I think a newsletter really ought to mention new FAs and GAs, possibly in all the languages, and any goals or milestones that we have reached, and possibly some contentious discussions or relevant RfCs. Users have come here from WP and are likely to have an interest in on-Wiki activities, and a weekly newsletter is an effective way to communicate this and document milestones. The Article alerts history page makes this quite straightforward. You may even consider transferring the newsletter's second edition to the WP namespace to decrease its ambitious scope. Additionally, links in the nav bar should be provided to the newsletter.

5. Per our en Wikipedia name, we are called "WikiProject Medicine" not "Wiki Project Medicine"

The newsletter should use the terminology used by the Wikiproject.

Disscussion[edit]

I'd like to start a dialogue again about resuming this letter. Ping to Bluerasberry. --LT910001 (talk) 02:16, 16 May 2014 (UTC)

If we had a newsletter then I can commit to coverage of the Wikipedia Education Program's projects in health and generally being around in other places. From my perspective, if we further had someone cover GAs and FAs, and then perhaps someone else highlight 1-2 interesting discussions about health on some project, and another person to commit to be editor, then with 3-4 people committing a minimum 20 minutes per month then that could make a newsletter. Jake, what are you doing with all your free time? Do you need another project? Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:06, 16 May 2014 (UTC)
@LT91001:, @Bluerasberry:. Great ideas from both of you. I have Zero bandwidth to do the newsletter right now, but I would Love to help someone get set up to do it. If you can find someone, or if either of you want to be a part of it, I would pitch in to get it rolling. Let me know! Cheers, Ocaasi (talk) 13:59, 19 May 2014 (UTC)
FloNight, you like reporting what you do! Would you want any part of this? Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:08, 19 May 2014 (UTC)
I would help out, too. FloNight (talk) 23:32, 21 May 2014 (UTC)
Great. Should we do this as part of WP:MED, or continue with issue 2 here? (w:Wikipedia:WikiProject_Medicine/Newsletter/2 or WikiProject_Med/Newsletter/2) --LT910001 (talk) 23:13, 22 May 2014 (UTC)

A very draft form of the first issue on the en WP is available here on the English-WP here: en:Wikipedia:The Revival. I invite comments, especially about the name (sorry, Bluerasberry! :D) --LT910001 (talk) 03:37, 25 May 2014 (UTC)

Jmh649 has also posted about the newsletter here. A skeleton for issue two is here: WikiProject_Med/Newsletter/2. If the second issue of the Stethoscope is to be released, I think it could be a fair bit shorter and limited to what's going on at a meta level, and released on a quarterly/bimonthly basis. --LT910001 (talk) 03:37, 25 May 2014 (UTC)
Sure would definitely be involved. Ocaasi will you take care of mailing it out to all members of of WP:MEDF? Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 07:00, 25 May 2014 (UTC)
User:LT91001, User:Jmh649, User:Bluerasberry, User:FloNight: Ok, this is our 5 person newsletter team. We will send out the newsletter every two months. In those two months, everyone is responsible for just dumping content and links into the draft page. Each month, one rotating editor will be responsible for turning that content into an organized and coherent whole. I will then send out the newsletter each month. This month we will all work together so that we can send out a draft by June 1 and I will send it out. In August, LT91001 will be 'editor', October it will be Jmh649...etc. I will post a schedule somewhere. So again: every two months we release, everyone dumps content and updates and links in the interim, a rotating editor will consolidate the content, I will send it out. Let's get to work :) Jake Ocaasi (talk) 14:17, 25 May 2014 (UTC)
Lane, will you move the content from the revival page to WikiProject_Med/Newsletter/2 on meta? We have a global audience, so should draft here on meta with proper interwiki links and universal templates only. Can you do that?
  • Jmh649, will you update your recent work in Iran, Italy, and UCSF, and with the research you're planning to publish?
  • FloNight, will you give a Cochrane update?
  • Bluerasberry, will you cover education in NYC and Consumer reports?
  • LT91001, will you talk about English WikiProject Med activity and initiatives?
  • I will talk about Stanford, Cochrane Grants, and WikiTrauma.
Ocaasi (talk) 14:22, 25 May 2014 (UTC)
  • I started a discussion at en:Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Medicine/Newsletter#English_Wikipedia_or_Meta.3F about whether this should be on English or Meta. Please address concerns and present a counterargument for moving it. I will commit to add content every month - I am not ready to commit to any area. See other issues on that talk page. Blue Rasberry (talk) 18:28, 25 May 2014 (UTC)
  • I'm back from traveling last week and commented on Wikipedia. I can pull together an update of the Cochrane Wikipedia Initiative. FloNight (talk) 19:27, 27 May 2014 (UTC)
Am in NYC. Do not get home until the 3rd of June. Further contribution from me will be delayed until I return. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 09:41, 28 May 2014 (UTC)

Wrangling the probox[edit]

Hi Ocaasi, you posted on my talk page re: the last hangout. I have a quick question that might be overkill for the hangout. I'm finishing up the process of splitting the Art+Feminism grant into an IEG and a PEG grant, at your and User:Siko_(WMF)'s suggestion. I am having trouble adding three collaborators to the PEG probox. I was able to dig around and find the right variables for the IEG probox (grantee1, grantee2, etc), but I couldn't find the equivalent documentation for the PEG probox. Can you point me in the right direction, or tell me what the correct variable is to add additional group members? Thanks. --Theredproject (talk) 04:17, 27 September 2014 (UTC)

Hi Theredproject. I'm pinging User:Siko (WMF) who designed the probox system, User:Jmorgan (WMF) who built it, and User:AWang (WMF) who is a PEG program officer. One of them will know! Ocaasi (talk) 17:28, 28 September 2014 (UTC)
Hi Theredproject. For PEG, we only require 2 contacts if it is an organization or group. But, if you'd like to add additional contacts, you can edit the probox directly and create a new line under "|contact2=", using this language: "|contact3=", "|contact4=", etc. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 17:30, 29 September 2014 (UTC)
Thanks Alex Wang (WMF) for clarification. --Theredproject (talk) 22:42, 29 September 2014 (UTC)

A cup of coffee for you[edit]

A small cup of coffee.JPG

Thanks for the comments today! --Pine 18:53, 28 September 2014 (UTC)

Draft / Proposed[edit]

Hi Ocaasi, I think you left a message intended to kbalavignesh on Grants talk:IEG/Expo 2015: Contributing to Wikipedia at Expo 2015. It seems to me that our project is already in the PROPOSED. please let me know if maybe I am misunderstanding and please do not hesitate to provide any advice. thanks, --iopensa (talk) 17:26, 29 September 2014 (UTC)

Deadlines[edit]

I feel so pressured "as the deadline is September 30th." I would say, "if you miss the September 30th option, the next chance for Wikimedia Foundation review will be on..." Should I panic or just wait for next time? I do not even have my own proposal and I feel worried. Blue Rasberry (talk) 18:53, 29 September 2014 (UTC)

Hi Lane, I'm sorry that I used language that made you feel pressured. You're right, I should emphasize that "the deadline for this round is October 1st. (Note, if you are not ready yet you can keep developing your draft for next round." Our priority at the moment is getting people into this round, but after the 'deadline' passes, I will go around and inform drafters who didn't finalize their proposals that they can keep working on them. Thanks for the feedback. Jake Ocaasi (talk) 18:56, 29 September 2014 (UTC)
When is the next deadline? Do not feel bad I am easily pressured. Blue Rasberry (talk) 18:57, 29 September 2014 (UTC)
IEG happens twice a year so the next round will have proposals due in 6 months. The schedule is posted on Grants:IEG. Hope that helps. Jake Ocaasi (talk) 19:11, 29 September 2014 (UTC)


Ebola translation task force (draft)[edit]

Hi! I started an Ebola translation task force (draft) to hopefully quickly get some Ebola related translations in local African languages. I'd love to see your input (and edits) Guaka (talk) 12:11, 27 October 2014 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: January 2015[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 1 / Issue 3 / January 2015
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Get #Inspired on IdeaLab and Learning Pattern Library.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:57, 30 January 2015 (UTC)

If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

I have removed my name from the Insight projects[edit]

I have removed my name from all the Insight projects. I think a lot of them have potential, are good ideas and offer a good opportunity to make things better for the projects. Unfortunately, there is a clear bias to finding sexism whether it exists or not so I have no desire to participate in them. If they are going to be treated as though oppose votes and negative comments don't matter, which are important to project success BTW, I have no desire to be a part of them. You will find plenty of yes men and women out there who will be glad to slap their name on them and add them to their Wiki resume's but I am not one of them. Reguyla (talk) 23:57, 5 March 2015 (UTC)

Hi Reguyla, I respect your decision but ultimately think then you are another casualty of a shitty discourse. It sounds like your perspective and thoughtfulness would actually be quite helpful and I encourage you to do what makes you happy by digging in to the projects you actually care about. Anyways, that's what makes me happy. Best, Jake Ocaasi (talk) 23:59, 5 March 2015 (UTC)
Thanks but I have spent the last 2 years being raked over the coals for trying to change the abusive atmosphere on Wikipedia and my criticism of abusive admins ended up getting me indef blocked from that project. I can see these already getting an extremely negative reaction and result and I have no desire to get involved in another series of one sided projects that are clearly biased from the start and have no possibility of providing anything positive for the projects. Good luck. Reguyla (talk) 00:07, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
For context, Ocaasi, Reguyla is quite clearly Kumioko. Ironholds (talk) 00:14, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
As though that should matter. It does not! Reguyla (talk) 01:16, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
I feel like when someone is making the argument "don't fix those problems, fix my problems!" the fact that they're an indefinitely banned user is worth factoring in. For example: you clearly have something to gain as a banned user who feels they were banned due to a cabal of corrupt and conspiring admins from an effort to make admins behave differently. You clearly don't have anything to gain, as a male, from a campaign to improve the gender balance on Wikipedia. And so when you come into a discussion and argue that fixing women-specific problems isn't necessary but what is necessary is fixing problems that you just-so-happen to impact to get a benefit from changes to, it is absolutely a relevant thing to surface. Ironholds (talk) 01:46, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
No Ironholds it is completely irrelevant who I was. I'm not sure how advocating that Wikipedia needs to do better about its toxic and uninviting atmosphere that has proven time and time again to cause people to leave is "my" problem. But since I have actively advocated for that, as well as fair and equal treatment to editors and an end to the us and them mentality and double standards between admins and editors on Wikipedia, I guess you have a point that those are "my" problems I would like to see fixed. Your also right that I am effectively indefinitely banned from ENWP which is actually a 6 month block they continually push out to keep me from editing effectively making it indefinite. They manipulated policy to get the ban in the first place and eventhough the community made it a 6 month block in August some will actively do whatever they can/have to to keep it going. So no, I also do not expect to gain anything other than the satisfaction that y participation helped that project in some way inspite of those who are NOT there to build an encyclopedia keeping me from editing in what has become a petty, vindictive and clearly punitive block. I am not expecting to be unblocked on EN regardless of what I do or do not do here so there is nothing for me to gain other than a project I feel passionately about improving, Frankly Ironholds, I don't think you care. I really don't and its fine with me that you don't like me, the feeling is mutual. I think you are a yes man who is just riding the tide to your next paycheck so I couldn't care less how you feel about me. I tried to actively change the project and I got banned for the trouble. I also find it offensive for you to tell me I don't care about woman specific issues, I do care. But I also care about issues that are bigger that need to be fixed if there is a meaningful result from recruiting more women. If the editing environment is toxic, they aren't going to stay and ignoring that because you don't like me is petty, stupid and misses an opportunity to improve the project. I would gladly participate in some of those projects but I am not going to do that when its clear that the outcome is going to be a project that has been manipulated to meet some imagined goal. Data is data, but it can be twisted and interpreted to say whatever we want. I see a lot of statistics and surveys where I work and I know they are easily manipulated. Anyway, I am walking away from those projects now so it doesn't matter. You guy's can just ok them or whatever, its fine with me. There is no reason to keep discussing this now pointless issue. Reguyla (talk) 02:22, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
Yes, I'm replying to this thread at 9:56pm EST because I'm riding the tide to my next paycheck. A lovely theory. And yes, there is an us versus them mentality, and you're absolutely trying to destroy it with your talk about how "they manipulated policy to get the ban in the first place". And sure, you're staying away - just like all the other times you've stayed away. In fact, I'll make a deal on that point; if you say "whatever, I'm leaving" and actually don't contribute to Wikimedia projects for six solid months, I'll be so startled I'll agree right now to support any request for unblock you have. Ironholds (talk) 02:58, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
First, there is no reason for me not to contribute to Wikimedia projects or 6 months and to do so would not be a benefit to them or the edits I would do during that time. Secondly, I haven't done anything in months that could be argued as negative. Show me an edit I have done since July that wasn't a positive contribution! I have no intention to leave and in fact there is nothing preventing me from doing a positive edit to ENWP block or no block. Anyone who knows me and my history will know that getting around a block to edit is a trivial thing and they would also know that I always identified myself. I never hid or misled anyone about who I was even when people tried to prevent me from using my username. So your arguments about staying away are really pointless and don't even reflect a point, which is common from you unfortunately. Reguyla (talk) 03:04, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
May I suggest that you either take this to another venue (not Ocaasi's talk page) or drop this matter altogether? I don't think this discussion is relevant to Ocaasi at this point (but I may be wrong). PiRSquared17 (talk) 03:10, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
I concur with dropping the matter entirely. Reguyla (talk) 03:18, 6 March 2015 (UTC)

Please fill out our Inspire campaign survey[edit]

Inspire astrocat aqua.png

Thank you for participating in the Wikimedia Inspire campaign during March 2015!

Please take our short survey and share your experience during the campaign.



Many thanks,

Jmorgan (WMF) (talk), on behalf of the IdeaLab team.

23:34, 13 April 2015 (UTC)

This message was delivered automatically to Inspire campaign participants. To unsubscribe from any future IdeaLab reminders, remove your name from this list

Learning Quarterly: May 2015[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 1 / Issue 4 / May 2015
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Gender Gap on IdeaLab and Learning Pattern Library.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:57, 1 May 2015 (UTC) MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:57, 30 January 2015 (UTC)

If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

Wiki Loves Pride[edit]

You are invited to participate in Wiki Loves Pride!

  • What? Wiki Loves Pride, a campaign to document and photograph LGBT culture and history, including pride events
  • When? June 2015
  • How can you help?
    1.) Create or improve LGBT-related articles and showcase the results of your work here
    2.) Upload photographs or other media related to LGBT culture and history, including pride events, and add images to relevant Wikipedia articles; feel free to create a subpage with a gallery of your images (see examples from last year)
    3.) Contribute to an LGBT-related task force at another Wikimedia project (Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons, Wikivoyage, etc.)

Or, view or update the current list of Tasks. This campaign is supported by the Wikimedia LGBT+ User Group, an officially recognized affiliate of the Wikimedia Foundation. Visit the group's page at Meta-Wiki for more information, or follow Wikimedia LGBT+ on Facebook. Remember, Wiki Loves Pride is about creating and improving LGBT-related content at Wikimedia projects, and content should have a neutral point of view. One does not need to identify as LGBT or any other gender or sexual minority to participate. This campaign is about adding accurate, reliable information to Wikipedia, plain and simple, and all are welcome!

If you have any questions, please leave a message on the campaign's main talk page.


Thanks, and happy editing!

User:Another Believer and User:OR drohowa


You're invited to the Ally Skills Workshop at Wikimania![edit]

Thank you for contributing to the grant request for training Wikipedia admins to be more aware of sexism! This grant has been approved in pilot form, and the Ada Initiative is running an Ally Skills Workshop at Wikimania 2015. This workshop will focus on teaching specific skills and techniques directly relevant to Wikipedia admins and editors, and in particular will teach people about the psychology of trolls. The workshop will be on Thursday July 16 from 2pm to 5pm in Don Diego 3.

If you are attending Wikimania, you are invited to apply to the Ally Skills Workshop! Space is limited and we may not be able to accept all applications, so apply now. More information, including a link to the application form, is here:

Ally Skills Workshop description and application form

People of all genders are welcome to attend. Unfortunately, travel scholarships for Wikimania are already closed and we don't know of any other sources of travel funding. If you know anyone else attending Wikimania who might be interested in attending this workshop, please encourage them to apply!

Thank you for your time,

Valerie Aurora (Instructor and Interim Executive Director of the Ada Initiative)

Valerie Aurora (talk) 22:05, 7 July 2015 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: July 2015[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 2 / Issue 5 / July 2015
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Join the Community Health learning campaign

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 03:23, 27 July 2015 (UTC)

IEG Proposals[edit]

Hi Ocassi. I have submitted two proposals namely Wikipedia Takes Rinconada and Run for Free Knowledge. For your comments and endorsement. Thank you very much. --Filipinayzd (talk) 03:24, 27 July 2015 (UTC)

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?[edit]

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:24, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Last call for WMF grants feedback![edit]

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:09, 4 September 2015 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: October 2015[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 2 / Issue 6 / October 2015
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns
you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:31, 27 October 2015 (UTC)

What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?[edit]

IdeaLab logo dark orange.png

Hi there,

I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!

Here’s how to participate:

Take care,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 03:33, 5 December 2015 (UTC)

Future IdeaLab Campaigns results[edit]

IdeaLab badge 1.png

Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.

With great thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 23:55, 26 January 2016 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: January 2016[edit]

If you are receiving this message for the second time, our apologies! On the first attempt, there was an error with the targets list and only a few users got the newsletter in their Talk Page.

L&E Newsletter / Volume 3 / Issue 7 / January 2016
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:20, 1 February 2016 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign on content curation & review[edit]

WPCube.png

I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Open Call for Individual Engagement Grants[edit]

IEG barnstar 2.png

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 15:57, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: April 2016[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 3 / Issue 8 / April 2016
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:51, 29 April 2016 (UTC)

Participate in the Inspire Campaign and help address harassment![edit]

NounProject Leaves.png

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:46, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)

Learning Quarterly: July 2016[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 3 / Issue 9 / July 2016
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:21, 1 August 2016 (UTC)

Books on demographics[edit]

Hi. Please help me to buy demographic books for rural settlements of the Irkutsk region. They are sold, for example, book of 2016 for about $12. Sale 8 books for the 2009-2016 years. Please give me a grant to purchase them (about $100). I already addressed with such a request, but due to lack of online store is your man is not able to buy books. If possible, move me money, I'll buy myself and give you documents. I write a lot about the population of Russia. I was awarded in 2014 and 2016 wiki-awards (see Игорь Темиров). I am currently working on porting all the data about population on wikidata. Sincerely, Игорь Темиров (talk) 07:26, 24 September 2016 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge? user group update[edit]

Whose Knowledge? logo 02.png

Hi Ocaasi! Thanks for joining the Whose Knowledge user group - we’re so glad to have you involved!

Here are some updates about recent activities:

  • User group approved: Our user group was officially approved in October - hooray! Big thanks to Raystorm and FloNight for the idea to create a user group for the Whose Knowledge? campaign :)
  • Mapping feminist knowledge at AWID's 2016 Forum: Interested in learning more about what we’ve been doing lately? Read our blog post on what we learned from mapping feminist knowledge at Association for Women's Rights in Development's 2016 Forum.
  • New grant proposal:
    • We’ve proposed a WMF project grant. It would be great to have your feedback and/or endorsement by November 1 if this project interests you!
    • It would also be great to have your help notifying communities already working on systemic bias about this proposal. Here is a draft message - please translate, change as you see fit for your own context, and share in any communities you’re active in on and off-wiki.

Looking forward to doing more together very soon! Siko (talk) 01:23, 18 October 2016 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: October 2016[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 3 / Issue 10 / October 2016
Learning Quarterly

Frontpage:
#CEInsights
#WMCEE

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:52, 31 October 2016 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: February 2017[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 11 / February 2017
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:36, 1 February 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge? News - February 2017[edit]

Whose Knowledge? logo 02.png

Thanks for all of your support for Whose Knowledge? so far! Get ready, we're going to need lots of your help in 2017 :)

What's new in 2017:

1. Volunteers needed

As Whose Knowledge? grows, there are lots of things to do! Can you help?

  • Are you good with data entry, categories, mailing lists or social media? We especially need people to help with organizing knowledge for Dalit History Month, and building out our communications (including this monthly newsletter!) right now!
  • If you're interested in volunteering for these or any other projects, please signup here

2. Pilot projects

Building partnerships and testing our approach with marginalized communities.

  • Dalit History Month: We're working with Equality Labs to support Dalit communities in South Asia and the United States to map knowledge and create Wikipedia content. Dalit History Month edit-a-thons are coming in April!
  • Women's Human Rights Defenders: In partnership with Urgent Action Fund, we'll be supporting a group of women's human rights defenders around the world with more mapping and wiki content creation. Themes and geographies coming soon!
  • Kumeyaay Wikipedia Initiative: Following the 2016 Indigenous People's Day edit-a-thon, we're continuing to work with members of the Kumeyaay tribe in Southern California and Baja to map and contribute indigenous knowledge to Wikimedia projects. A discussion day with Kumeyaay community in San Diego is being planned for May.

3. Funding

We've got financial support for 2017!

  • WMF grant: 6-month funding (February-July 2017) was approved to pilot our approach to mapping knowledge and creating Wikipedia content with the Dalit community and global women's human rights defenders. Thanks for all your endorsements!
  • Shuttleworth Fellowship: Anasuya is a Shuttleworth Fellow! This means we'll be able to spend more time organizing, and have support for convenings, campaign infrastructure, etc.

4. Wikimedia Strategy

Find us at Wikimedia Conference.

  • Anasuya and Siko will be carrying the Whose Knowledge? vision of diversity, pluralism and representation of marginalized communities into movement strategy conversations in Berlin March 2017.
  • What's your vision for the Wikimedia movement? If you have a perspective that you'd like us to help represent in Berlin, please reach out and let us know!

In solidarity,

Siko (talk) 22:04, 7 February 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge?: [April 2017][edit]

Whose KnowledgeWhose Knowledge? logo 01.png News
April 2017 • Volume 1 • Issue 2
Activities and Events:
Dalit History Month Events; Wikimania 2017 submissions
Resources:
Resources lists
Wikimedia Movement:
Wikimedia Strategy: Knowledge is Global
Home font awesome.svg About Whose Knowledge?
If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

We hope you enjoy this issue of the Whose Knowledge? News. Please reach out to us if you have any ideas or suggestions! -- Saileshpat using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:47, 1 May 2017 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: May 2017[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 12 / May 2017
Learning Quarterly

Frontpage:
#LearningDays
#CCD

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:52, 10 May 2017 (UTC)

We're on Twitter![edit]

WikiLGBT is on Twitter!
Wikimedia LGBT+ User Group logo.svg
Hello Ocaasi!
Follow the Wikimedia LGBT user group on Twitter at @wikilgbt for news, photos, and other topics of interest to LGBT Wikipedans and allies. Use #wikiLGBT to share any Wiki Loves Pride stuff that you would like to share (whether this month or any day of the year) or to alert folks to things that the LGBT Wikipedan community should know. RachelWex (talk)

RachelWex (talk) 23:56, 10 June 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge?: [July 2017][edit]

Whose KnowledgeWhose Knowledge? logo 01.png News
July 2017 • Volume 1 • Issue 3
Activities and Events:
Okvir pilot in Bosnia and Herzegovina; Wikimania 2017
Resources:
Emancipatory Design Research
Wikimedia Movement:
Letter from Buenos Aires
Home font awesome.svg About Whose Knowledge?
If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

We hope you enjoy this issue of the '''Whose Knowledge?''' News. Please reach out to us if you have any ideas or suggestions! -- Saileshpat using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:18, 2 August 2017 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: August 2017[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 13 / August 2017
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:14, 24 August 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia Library User Group is being renamed![edit]

Hello! In the past few months, the Wikipedia Library User Group has been undergoing some major planning and developments. We just finished our very first open call with the user group members, which was a great success (see the meeting minutes). If you joined us during the meeting, we’d like to thank you for your interest. If not, not to worry, we have lots of things planned for the user group in which you can participate.

This message is to inform you that based on the input received from the user group members and the founding members, it was agreed that the Wikipedia Library User Group’s name be reconsidered by a voting process. As a valued member of the user group, we’d like to invite you to vote on the list of potential names. You can vote by following this link. The poll will run for a timeframe of two weeks. Sent by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of user group founding members --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:59, 17 October 2017 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: October 2017[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 13 / August 2017
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:45, 3 November 2017 (UTC)