User talk:Oolukoya (WMF)
Getting the Hang of Editing
Been flexing my editing muscles of recent. This is fun
Sorry for not answering earlier. I was on holidays near the sea with a bunch of kids, no laptop, and a very poor internet connexion :) Holidays are not truly over but I will try to get online a couple of hours every day, in particular to get WLAf kickstarted !
So I read plenty of great words in your presentation. Nigeria (do you live in SF right now ? Or Nigeria ?), woman, designer, French MBA (do you speak French ?) and interested to join the WLAf fun... sounds good ! We need you !
For the IEG discussion, start by adding me on Skype (florence.devouard) and let's try to connect (if you are in SF, we can probably do that in my late evening. If Nigeria... we should be roughly in the same time zone). My office in my living room... and several friends will stay at home (and sleep in my living room....) the next few days back from holidays on their way home so it might be tricky, but if you see a green dot next to my name... feel free to try to grab me !
WLAf: There are probably many ways you can get involved I guess. Have you joined the African ML ? We have not made a WLAf list as this list is still rather low traffic and it is best not to multiply lists :) So for WLAf communication, we use this one when needed : https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/african-wikimedians
Is there something specific you would like to do ? Quick thinking... I have three suggestions
- when the topic was suggested, Isla did a quick search of visuals that could illustrate what we imagine in the ornament theme. But now we need to have more specific and better quality images that could be used for the communication, either on the website (http://www.wikilovesafrica.org) or on the leaflets/poster... or simply on the landing page for the contest. It seems particularly important to us to show examples so that people can imagine the diversity of what could be included in the contest. Our current "shortlist" is here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Africa_2015. If you could help us sort out a gallery of good images that could be used for our communication, that would be awesome. It requires digging in Commons to try to figure out what is both helpful (such as a good example of tattoo or african hairstyle) and can be used for design work (high quality images). Can you help on this ?
- since time is running, Isla has already asked a designer to work on the basic visuals. She should have samples to show us in the next few days. We would be happy to include you in the conversation for the (criticism and the) choice !
- we would love to run a crowdfunding campaign to fund the gifts. Last year... we were too late. We had prepared the crowdfunding page (so we have a good basic to start with) but it needs work. I read you are interested by social entrepreneurship... for which crowdfunding seems a pretty important element to me. Would you be interested in joining that part ?
Otherwise... yeah... plenty of work. We need to revamp the common pages. Probably leaflets calling for participation. Suggest workshops ? Organise events locally ? We were thinking of designing a booklet as "howtotakeawesomepictures" with WikiFranca. So many options :) Let's talk. Anthere (talk)
- Hi Florence, Thanks for getting back to me. I totally understand. I am on my way back to Nigeria but I am visiting my brother and family until the end of August. Getting work done with kids is a task hehe.
- I was living in SF but I am moving back to Nigeria (so yes we are in the same time zone or an hour behind I believe). I studied for my masters at Grenoble Graduate Business, sadly my french is not so great hehe but I am looking to improve on it again.
- I just joined the mailing list, thanks the links. That being said, I will be happy to take part in the conversations on the visuals (given my background in advertising, it might prove useful). I will also start work on researching possible visuals on commons that may be a good fit. Yes to being part of crowd funding campaigns and exploring funding options available to us and other pending tasks that need to be done.
- Is there a current project plan schedule you are working with? I would like to know key dates and possible deadlines in preparation for the competition. If you are free next Monday, we could schedule a skype call or if you let me know what time works best for you. I am excited and looking forward to getting started. Thank you. —Seyi Olukoya 12:26, 13 August 2015 (BST)