Welcome to Meta!
Thank you for your participation in the WikiGap Challenge!
Now, we have finalized the results from the WikiGap Challenge. You can find the general and top results here. I want to thank you for your contribution, which together with the other participants have created a tremendous and long lasting impact for the visibility of women on Wikipedia.
We want to give you a barnstar for your participation, to praise your efforts for a better visibility of women on Wikipedia!
We will analyze the challenge and the way it works closely, to see how we can improve it for next year. It would be very valuable for us if you wanted to share your views on the challenge, especially when it comes to: the point system, the focus, and the adding of the list from UN Human Rights. You can send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org!
I hope you found the challenge exciting, and that you want to participate next year as well!
Naming contest vote
Hi. Thank you for participating in the vote. Unfortunately there is a bug in the RTL code - for usernames that are written in RTL, it did not properly reverse the numbering when saving. I have edited your entry, and fixed the numbering. Please could you check your vote at Abstract Wikipedia/Wiki of functions naming contest/Votes, and confirm that your favourite option is at the left-hand side? Thank you very much, and we will definitely fix or change the gadget in the future. Sorry for the confusion. I hope you have a good week. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 21:57, 10 November 2020 (UTC)
Thank you for participation in Ukraine's Cultural Diplomacy Month!
Thank you very much for participating in Ukraine's Cultural Diplomacy Month! My apologies for not sending this message sooner – but be assured, your contributions are very valuable!
The organisers welcome you participation. We hope you had fun! Some users faced the notability issues of the suggested articles; we recognise that the list of suggested articles wasn't flawless.
The project is not ended until all worthy participants receive their souvenirs! There will be another message from the organising team soon about this.
Stay safe, we appreciate you being a Wikipedian that you are -- ViraMotorko (WMUA) (talk) 09:51, 5 April 2021 (UTC)
A big thank you for organizing #WikiForHumanRights! And please give us feedback!
Both UN Human Rights and the WMF team are really grateful. Initial data suggests that this year we doubled the volume of content created and grew the campaign in languages and geographies. This kind of activation only works when we have local-organizers doing targeted outreach to their communities.
We are still learning how to organize this campaign, would like your feedback. Please fill out this survey at: this google form.
We will use the summary of findings and recommendations from the survey for the report on the campaign and for designing next year’s campaign. Our hope is to support more decentralized events, potentially with less experienced organizers -- so we need your help understanding what worked, what didn’t and what kinds of preparation we need to help communities with next year.
Please note that the collected information in this survey will be treated as in WikiForHumanRights Organizer Feedback Privacy Statement.--MBakni (WMF) (talk) 19:15, 15 June 2021 (UTC)
كاتب مكتوب - نهاية الدورة الأولى
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته،
نشركم جزيل الشكر على مشاركتكم معنا في مسابقة كاتب مكتوب. ونرغب إعلامكم أن الدورة الأولى من المسابقة قد انتهت. يمكنكم إنشاء تقريركم الخاص خلال 72 ساعة والذي يتضمن أسماء كافة المقالات وعناص ويكي بيانات التي أنشأتموها بالإضافة إلى صور الكتّاب التي أدرجتموها في المقالات (إن وجدت). وتنتهي الفترة مع نهاية يوم 3 يوليو حسب التوقيت العالمي المنسق.
كما نرغب التنويه بضرورة وأهمية إضافة المقالات إلى تقريركم الخاص في هذه المدة. إذ لن تُحسب أي مقالة ليست في تقرير المشارك.
وبخصوص التحيكم، سيبدأ الحكّام مباشرةً بعد تسلّم التقارير وسيكون إعلان الفائزين مباشرةً بعد استلام النتائج من لجنة التحكيم في نهاية شهر يوليو.
أيضًا، نرجوا منكم تعبئة هذا الاستبيان لمعرفة أرائكم حول المسابقة وتنظيمها والذي يهدف إلى تحسين سير الدورة الثانية من مسابقة كاتب مكتوب.
Hello Sandra Hanbo,
Many thanks for participating in the maiden edition of Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos in 2020.
We are glad to inform you that the 2021 edition starts today (1st of July). You are invited to participate in the campaign again this year to help improve the quality of Wikipedia articles with photos. For more information, please visit the campaign page here.
If you have any questions or query please feel free to contact anyone from the Organizing Team of WPWP Campaign.
Ukraine's Cultural Diplomacy Month 2022 invitation
You received this message because you participated in Ukraine's Cultural Diplomacy Month 2021. Without your contribution, the challenge would not have been so successful.
This year Wikimedia Ukraine, in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine and Ukrainian Institute, has launched the second edition of writing challenge "Ukraine's Cultural Diplomacy Month", which lasts from 17 February to 17 March 2022. The campaign is dedicated to famous Ukrainian artists of cinema, music, literature, architecture, design and cultural phenomena of Ukraine that made a contribution to world culture.
I would like to invite you to participate again in this writing challenge! We have updated the list of suggested articles and announced new prizes for contestants to keep interest in different fields of Ukrainian culture. I hope to hear from you soon!-- ValentynNefedov (WMUA) (talk) 08:57, 17 February 2022 (UTC)
- Learn about Movement Charter Drafting Committee’s work in November: As usual, the Committee released its regular monthly updates from November 2022. This month’s updates include highlights about the external facilitator hiring, next in-person meeting of the Committee and updates about the new drafting groups, among others.
- First community consultation period: From mid November to mid December 2022 the Committee members took part in 8 regional feedback sessions. Committee members joined the sessions to provide clarifications and answer to questions that came from different language communities on the Movement Charter.
- Recordings of the presentations shared during the regional meetings are available here for those interested.
- A list Frequently Asked Questions that came up in the calls is available on Meta.
- If you have not shared your feedback on the drafts of the Movement Charter yet, please do so by filling out this anonymous survey, which is open until January 2, 2023 and is available in more than 12 languages.
- The Movement Charter Ambassador Program received over 15 proposals. The ambassadors are currently putting their initiatives into action in various local communities. The Movement Charter Ambassadors Program will once again be opened for applications in the second quarter of 2023, in preparation for the next round of Movement Charter consultations. Both individuals and organizations will be able to apply. Those interested in becoming Movement Charter Ambassadors are encouraged to sign-up.
- Community Conversations summary: The Movement Strategy and Governance team of the Wikimedia Foundation will prepare and publish the final summary report of the community feedback in January 2023. The report will be shared with the MCDC and the communities on different channels of communication.
- Feedback on the Movement Charter: There will be additional ways to engage with the Movement Charter content, including the early feedback on the proposed ratification process and a new set of draft chapters in the second quarter of 2023.
--14:27, 22 December 2022 (UTC).
We need your feedback on a tool from the Wikimedia Summit
Hi! I'm contacting you as one of the participants in the Wikimedia Summit 2022, to kindly ask for your feedback through a 5-10 minute survey to evaluate 'Baserow' (note: the survey is on a Google form).
Baserow was a tool through which participants in the Summit co-created a database of Movement Strategy activities. We hope to learn from you how useful it may be to keep using it in the future to help document and connect on Movement Strategy work.
- @Abbad (WMF): Thank you for your email, I will fill it until Sunday. --Sandra HANBO (talk) 15:00, 16 February 2023 (UTC)
- @Sandra Hanbo شكراً، غلَّبناكِ :) --Abbad (WMF) (talk) 15:03, 16 February 2023 (UTC).
- @Abbad (WMF): Done .. Sandra HANBO (talk) 14:38, 22 February 2023 (UTC)
- First Community Consultation: A concise summary of the community consultation on the initial three drafts of the Charter is now available for your review on Meta and on the Diff platform. In addition, you can read about MC Ambassadors are sharing about their experiences:
- What’s next after the community feedback period? The Committee is currently reviewing the detailed feedback which consists of 59 pages of comments, in March the Committee will share their response to the comments. The detailed version of the feedback, which the Committee is reviewing, is also available on this Meta page.
- MCDC’s Virtual Working Session: The Committee gathered virtually from 3rd to 5th February to work on the drafts of the following new set of chapters of the Movement Charter: Global Council, Hubs, Decision Making, and Roles & Responsibilities. The Committee members worked in their smaller drafting groups first. The full Committee then convened, with representatives of each drafting group presenting the progress made so far, as well as about what type of support is needed for their future sessions.
- Learn about Movement Charter Drafting Committee’s work in January: The update includes details of the meetings held by the Committee in the month of January 2023, stakeholder conversations, completed work as well as about the new drafting groups, creating glossary and independent legal review.
- Community feedback on the ratification methodology proposal of the future Movement Charter. The feedback was postponed until March 2023. The communities will be able to review the ratification methodology and share their early input on the open questions.
- The MCDC will soon announce a “Call for Advisors”. The call will be an invitation for interested individuals with relevant expertise and knowledge to participate in drafting the Charter. Advisors will be considered non-voting members.
- Responses to the community consultation feedback by the MCDC. The Committee has been carefully reviewing feedback collected in the consultation from November & December 2022, and will publicly share responses to the feedback by March.
--14:20, 22 February 2023 (UTC).
Ukraine's Cultural Diplomacy Month 2023: Invitation
After two successful campaigns, Wikimedia Ukraine, in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine and Ukrainian Institute, decided to launch "Ukraine's Cultural Diplomacy Month" in the year 2023, which will last from 1st until 31st March. The campaign is dedicated to famous Ukrainian artists of cinema, music, literature, architecture, design, and cultural phenomena of Ukraine that are now part of world heritage.
I would like to invite you to participate once again in this writing challenge! We have revised the suggested articles and announced new prizes for contestants to motivate fruitful contributions from participants. I hope to see you on board soon!
- Call for Advisors! Individuals interested to support the Drafting Groups or the Subcommittees of the MCDC in the role of an advisor can fill out the advisory application form by May, 2023. The MCDC will be contacting interested individuals on a rolling basis. Do you want to know more about it? Please read here for more information. The information is also available in Arabic, Spanish, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian and Chinese languages respectively.
- Movement Charter Ambassadors from the Latin America and the Caribbean region share their experiences of organizing community conversations on the Movement Charter. Please read the Diff blog in Brazilian Portuguese and in Spanish languages.
- Casual updates: The MCDC publishes regular casual updates after bi-weekly full Committee meetings, as well as after other drafting group and subcommittee meetings. If you are interested, please read casual updates here on Meta and on Movement Strategy Forum.
- Learn about Movement Charter Drafting Committee’s work in February: As usual, the update includes information about the meetings held by the Committee in this month, as well as about the work that was completed and the ongoing work & discussions. The MCDC’s monthly updates are also shared on the multilingual Movement Strategy forum.
- MCDC Responses to the community feedback: The MCDC published responses to the community feedback on the first set of drafts (collected during a consultation in November - December 2022). The response includes a Summary, as well as some specific responses to the full community feedback (highlighted in orange).
- Revised Movement Charter drafts: The MCDC will share in the coming month the revised versions of the first two chapters: Preamble and Values & Principles (including a newly-added glossary), and the revised Roles & Responsibilities intentions statement.
- Ratification methodology consultation: The MCDC is working on a new proposal (not available yet) for a ratification methodology. The proposal will be discussed through a community consultation process, including live meetings to provide feedback.
Subscribe to this newsletter on Meta wiki
--11:34, 21 March 2023 (UTC).
- Starting conversations on how to ratify the Movement Charter: The Committee invites the Wikimedia movement to express opinions on the proposed Movement Charter ratification methodology from April 10 to April 28. Everyone is invited to share feedback on the Meta talk page or the Movement Strategy forum. Two community conversation hours are planned to take place: on April 18 at 10.00 UTC and April 24 at 17.00 UTC. Please read the details here.
- MCDC’s responses to the community feedback are now on Meta: The Committee has shared a summary of their responses and next steps based on the feedback from the first round of community consultation which took place late 2022.
- What to read on Diff?
- Learn more about the Movement Charter Ambassadors work: Movement Charter Ambassadors from the French-speaking community share their experience.
- MCDC member Manavpreet Kaur has written a blog post titled “An excerpt from my life, movement, strategy and MCDC”.
- Learn about Movement Charter Drafting Committee’s work in March: the monthly Committee’s updates include information about the coordination efforts with Wikimedia Germany, update on membership, submission to Wikimania 2023, participation at the Wikimedia Foundations Board of Trustees’ strategic retreat in New York in March 2023.
- Revised chapters: The Committee is preparing to publish the revised draft chapters of The Preamble, Values & Principles, and Roles & Responsibilities intentions statement, based on the community feedback received in November and December 2022.
- Inviting advisors and experts: The Committee is preparing to welcome a number of advisors from outside the Committee. All interested Wikimedians were invited to apply earlier (you can still apply here!). Additionally, the Committee is planning and scheduling meetings with individuals with specific sets of expertise in various topics, including stewards, movement committees, Wikimedia Foundation and affiliate staff, and others.
Subscribe to this newsletter on Meta wiki
--19:18, 15 April 2023 (UTC).
Hi Sandra Hanbo,
I am reaching out to you specifically on behalf of the Leadership Development Working Group (LDWG) who recently published the Leadership Development Plan, a practical resource for emerging and existing leaders across the Wikimedia movement who want to develop themselves and others. Your perspectives will be really helpful in making this resource useful. Any opinions, feedback or ideas that you share would be appreciated. You can give feedback through the short survey, MS Forum, talk page or email at email@example.com. The review period closes on Sunday May 28, 2023.
- @CCasares (WMF) Thank you for reaching me, I will have a look on the plan and participate in the Survey or send you clarifications ASAP.
- Please feel free to write me for any help. Sandra HANBO (talk) 09:49, 13 May 2023 (UTC)
- Charter Ratification Methodology proposal conversations: The Movement Charter Drafting Committee recently held the first conversations regarding the ratification methodology for the Movement Charter. The MCDC has received valuable feedback from different communities and the Committees during the community input period. The report of the community input will be shared in May, while the updated version of the ratification methodology will be presented between September and November 2023.
- Communication evaluation: The Communications sub-committee of the MCDC together with the support staff conducted an evaluation of the communications. The Communications sub-committee appreciates the time and input of the community members who shared their opinions during the interviews. Several recommendations are going to be implemented in the upcoming period based on the valuable input.
- Learn about the MCDC’s work in April: The MCDC continues to draft additional chapters: The Global Council, Hubs, Decision-making and Roles & Responsibilities. Alongside the drafting work, the MCDC is planning their in-person meeting scheduled for 2-4 June in Utrecht, Netherlands with the aim of advancing the charter's content.
What’s coming up?
- Participants of the WikiNusantara 2023 in Banjarmasin, Indonesia are invited to join a session on the topics around Wikimedia Movement Strategy and community collaboration on May 20. Ramzy Muliawan will provide updates, share about the Movement Charter Ambassadors Program and answer the questions.
Subscribe to this newsletter on Meta wiki
Help translate survey of the wikipedians in arabic
Hello @Sandra Hanbo I contact you because I am animating a research team which is surveying the readers and the wikipedians on their use. See the presentation of the project here. the survey has been done in English, and is currently published in the French/Italian/Ukrainian wikipedia We were planning to do it in arabic as well, but the colleague in charge could not find the time (it's quite a long work). Do you think that we could have a hand from you or the arabic tranlator community?
- @Jullienn: thank you for reaching out, yes, I am happy to help, when is the deadline to offer it in Arabic? --Sandra HANBO (talk) 12:56, 26 June 2023 (UTC)
- Also how are you working to translate the material? --Sandra HANBO (talk) 12:57, 26 June 2023 (UTC)
- thank you @Sandra Hanbo! I can provide you with the French questionnaire, and a google translation in arabic (here).
- I don't think I will be able to publish it before September, so I would say that the deadline would be September Jullienn (talk) 13:00, 26 June 2023 (UTC)
- I understand french well, no need for google translate, thank you for your offer ^_^. I think there is a good time until September. --Sandra HANBO (talk) 13:02, 26 June 2023 (UTC)
- @Jullienn: Could you please share also the french document? I think it is easier than Arabic machine translating. Best. --Sandra HANBO (talk) 13:09, 26 June 2023 (UTC)
- bonjour @Sandra Hanbo J'ai mis l'adresse du questionnaire en français dans la page de l'arabe, c'est bloqué ici... Jullienn (talk) 13:26, 26 June 2023 (UTC)
This newsletter combines content from both June and July, due to a delay in sharing out the previous newsletter.
- New Movement Charter content published: The Committee published new draft chapters on the Global Council, Hubs and the Glossary. You are invited to share your feedback or ask any questions you may have to the Committee before September 1, 2023 on the following talk pages:
- Revised draft chapters published on Meta: The Committee has shared the revised draft chapters: Preamble, Values & Principles, and Roles & Responsibilities intentions statement. These revisions are based on the community feedback received in November-December 2022.
- Ratification Methodology community feedback: The summary of community feedback on the proposed methodology for the ratification of the Charter is on Diff.
- Listen to the WikiAfrica Hour #46: Africa and Movement Charter, where MCDC members Anass Sedrati and Georges Foudoup talk about Movement Charter, its aims and objectives, and the relevance to the African community.
- MCDC member’s are busy participating in various community events to discuss Movement Charter. Manavpreet Kaur, a member of the Global Council and Roles and Responsibilities Drafting Groups joined the EduWikiConference 2023. The MCDC support staff Ramzy Muliawan shared updates about the charter at WikiNustantara 2023 in Banjarmasin, Indonesia (@wikimediaid on Twitter). The Wikimedia communities in Indonesia were engaged by Movement Charter Ambassador Arcuscloud in the last round of community conversations.
- Learn about MCDC’s work in May & June: as usual, the update includes information about the meetings held by the Committee in this month, as well as about the work that was completed and the ongoing work & discussions.
What’s coming up?
- Join the live launch party: The Drafting Committee is hosting a launch party on July 30th at 14.00 UTC to celebrate the new drafts, introduce them to the community and give space for sharing thoughts and feedback. Register here to receive a Zoom link to the launch party.
- Movement Charter Community Conversation grants are open for individuals or groups who want to organize conversations about the Charter content. Talk to us if you need any support on the MS Forum! Apply for a grant before Jul 30, 2023.
- Wikimania 2023: Wikimania 2023: Members of the Movement Charter Drafting Committee are excited to be attending Wikimania Singapore in August, to speak to and hear from you in person (and hybrid) about the four drafts and the Charter in general.
- Community events: MCDC members will be present in the CEE Meeting in September in Georgia to discuss the Charter content with the CEE and CA communities. In addition, the MCDC prioritizes participation in the conferences planned for 2023 to continue conversations on the content of the Charter with the communities: WikiConvention Francophone, WikiWomen Camp, WikiIndaba Morocco, WikiConference North America, GLAM Wiki Conference, among others.
Subscribe to this newsletter on Meta wiki
--12:25, 30 July 2023 (UTC).
- Community consultation: The community consultation on the Global Council, Hubs, and the Glossary drafts is ongoing. We value your input, if you have not already, please take a moment to review the draft chapters and share your thoughts with the MCDC. We’ve posed open questions we would like your opinion on. Feel free to engage in a way that is most comfortable for you and your community. Learn more on our Diff blogs about the Global Council and Hubs.
- Launch Party: On July 30 we hosted a Launch Party to share the Global Council and Hubs draft chapters. It was an inspiring event where we had the opportunity to listen to your feedback and address some of your questions. If you missed it, you can catch the recording on YouTube.
- Community Conversations: We want to hear from as many people as possible. On July 16, the SWAN meeting opened its doors and offered an opportunity to interact with the MCDC members regarding the new drafts of the charter. Notes are available here. On July 28, a regional conversation with the Francophone community was held. Here comes a short summary here in English and French. Additionally, on August 2 we had a fruitful conversation with the LATAM region.
- MCDC’s Work in July: As usual, the update includes information about the meetings held by the Committee in this month, as well as about the work that was completed and the ongoing work & discussions.
- Join the MCDC at Wikimania: Whether you’ll be at Wikimania 2023 in person or joining virtually, there are a few events that we would like to invite you to. Please drop by for a casual conversation. We would love to connect to workshop any ideas together. Drop in, get a sweet treat, and share your thoughts with us! Register and see below for an overview of our time together:
- Tuesday, August 15
- Wednesday, August 16
- Thursday, 17 August
- : Movement Charter Content Discussions (Room 310)
- A regional call tailored for the MENA region will be conducted in Arabic on September 2 at 17.00 UTC. Kindly indicate your interest to attend this meeting.
Subscribe to this newsletter on Meta-wiki
MCDC Support Team, 23:53, 14 August 2023 (UTC)