Activity and behavioral data on Beleiutz is maintained here.
Introduction by Psychonaut
For the past few years a user has been using multiple accounts to add promotional language and copyright-violating images to Wikipedia articles on Romanian celebrities. He is active on a large number of Wikimedia projects: most prominently on English Wikipedia, Romanian Wikipedia, and Wikimedia Commons, but also on several other Wikipedias (German, French, Spanish, etc.). He has become particularly persistent over the past six months. Cross-wiki coordination of efforts to curb the disturbance would be useful.
The oldest account we're aware of is en:User:Beleiutz. On the English and Romanian Wikipedias he has repeatedly stated that his name is Vlad Mateescu and that he represents the Walt Disney company, Pinewood Shepperton, the Romanian Copyright Office, and other private and public organizations      . Despite this he has refused to provide any evidence that he holds the copyright to the images he uploads (many of which appear to be found on the web or are television stills which Disney or Pinewood Shepperton wouldn't own the rights to anyway). Web searches for this name turn up profiles, interviews, and blog posts where he claims to be a company director, supervisor, or other official representative of many other organizations, including Warner Bros., Pixar, Paramount Pictures, Universal Studios, and even the Wikimedia Foundation! The attempts to impersonate WMF officials offsite were reported to the WMF, and it looks like the sites have now been taken down, though I wouldn't be surprised if they reappear in the future.
- CentralAuth/Adina 22244
- CentralAuth/Adi Vancica
- CentralAuth/Andrei Dorian
- CentralAuth/Andy Kisss
- CentralAuth/Antena 1
- CentralAuth/Delia Mihai
- CentralAuth/Georgiana Ene
- CentralAuth/Laurian D.
- CentralAuth/Maria Streza
- CentralAuth/Mariusescu Grigore
- CentralAuth/Matei Traian
- CentralAuth/Mihai Stetcu
- CentralAuth/Mircea Nana
- CentralAuth/Roberta Place
- CentralAuth/Vasi Mihai
- CentralAuth/Vlad 22222
He also edits from a wide range of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, though lately it's usually been IPv6.
- en:Category:Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of Beleiutz dicta. 11 named accounts, 1 IP.
- en:Category:Wikipedia sockpuppets of Beleiutz 6 accounts.
- https://checkuser.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:INeverCry/More_stuff#Beleiutz (only checkusers may view this wiki) (ref from ro.wiki, see below, dated 20 January, 2014.)
Incident reports and discussions
An incomplete list of past noticeboard reports and administrators'/bureaucrats' discussions:
- commons:Commons:Requests for checkuser/Case/Beleiutz report 9 May, 2011. Sock STREZA.
- commons:Commons:Administrators' noticeboard/Blocks and protections/Archive 7#STREZA report 12 May 2011
- en:Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/IncidentArchive805#User Consiliul use of internal links report from 15 July, 2013. Notice  and impassioned and clueless appeal from Consiliul.
- commons:Commons:Administrators' noticeboard/User problems/Archive 39#Beleiutz sock report Mateescu, Consiliul, Maria Streza, Roberta Place, by Psychonaut, 23 August 2013
- commons:Commons:Administrators' noticeboard/User problems/Archive 41#Beleiutz sock to block sock report Delia Mihai Psychonaut 16 October 2013
- commons:Commons:Administrators' noticeboard/User problems/Archive 41#Beleiutz sock to block 2 report Psychonaut 29 December 2013, transcludes user pages for sock Mirciulescu and Beleiutz instead of linking or using a user display template, so report is unintelligible unless read as wikitext.
- ro:Discuție Wikipedia:Ambasadă#Sockpuppeteer Beleiutz report 1 ianuarie 2014, last report, sock Georgiana Ene, 29 iunie 2014 all reports by Psychonaut on the talk page for the Embassy. Refers to "Vandalism reports" for a "place to help track things."
- commons:Commons:Administrators' noticeboard/User problems/Archive 42#Beleiutz sock to block Sock report Laurian D., Andy Kisss, Mariusescu Grigore, by Psychonaut, 16 January, 2014.
- ro:Discuție Utilizator:Andrei Stroe/Arhivă_discuții_ian_2014#Utilizator:Beleiutz discussion shows link to checkuser wiki, single edit re Mirciulescu by Psychonaut 20 ianuarie 2014
- commons:Commons:Administrators' noticeboard/User problems/Archive 42#More Beleiutz socks sock report Sooorina, Cristina2222222, Mircea Nana, by Psychonaut 31 January 2014. Mihai Stetcu reported, not a Commons account.
- en:Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/Beleiutz/Archive Most recent report June 2014, suggests going to meta SRG.
(Please show dates here, listing here should all be in the last month before report, and not left here, hopefully, more than three months from date of report. All known prior activity should be listed above.) If there is no recent activity, there is no particular cause for global concern.) --Abd (talk) 19:12, 15 September 2014 (UTC)
- en:Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/Beleiutz filed by Psychonaut 15 September 2014, closed due to Commons checkuser and block, blocked on en.wiki, see 
- Commons:Administrators' noticeboard/Blocks and protections sock Adi Vancica, filed by Psychonaut, 16 September 2014, steward confirmed.
- Steward requests/Global request for global lock for Adi Vancica. Done 17 September 2014.
The following characteristics can be used to spot the sockpuppets:
- They are concerned exclusively with articles on Romanian celebrities and the films and TV shows the appear in.
- New articles, and textual additions to existing articles, tend to be strongly promotional in tone.
- They make repeated attempts to upload and link copyright-infringing images, often giving falsified source and licensing information. Sometimes they create license-washing accounts on Flickr or Picasa to evade detection of the copyright infringement.
- Their edit summaries are usually strings of nonsense characters, or (if in English) brief, vague, and grammatically incorrect (e.g., "improve Delia article").
- They make extensive use of RefLinks, particularly with the IPv6 accounts.
- They have the annoying habit of wikilinking common words which shouldn't be wikilinked.
- Lately the accounts do not communicate. As soon as one sock is discovered, it is abandoned and a new one is created.