Volunteer Supporters Network/VSN Training: How communities address the issue of user retention
This session will concern the very important issue of user retention across Wikimedia projects. We would get a local perspective on this issue from representatives of different communities and design-focused insight. Participants should come away from the session with knowledge of how this issue is being addressed on the ground.
- Käbi Laan (Wikimedia Estonia)
- Verena Lindner (Wikimedia Deutschland)
- Natalia Szelachowska (Wikimedia Czech Republic)
- Rita Ho (WMF) and Michael Raish (WMF)
Date Thursday 27 October, 4pm CEST on Zoom. (Check your local timezone.)
(Zoom link will be sent to registered users before the meeting, please see below for details.)
Register for the meeting!
You don’t need to be a member of the Volunteer Supporters Network to participate in this online event. The event will take place on Zoom, and the number of participants is only limited by how many we can have on Zoom at once... We ask for pre-registration (with your Wikimedia username), see below. We will send the link for the event to all registered participants shortly before the meeting.
If you want to participate, just add yourself to the list below and we'll send you the link.
P.S. If you did not get a link to the event e-mailed to you, please, notify me.
List of participants
- Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska (WMPL) (talk) 20:04, 19 October 2022 (UTC)
- EAzzellini (WMB) (talk) 20:27, 19 October 2022 (UTC)
- Dian (WMID) (talk) 03:34, 20 October 2022 (UTC)
- Alhassan Mohammed Awal (talk) 06:38, 20 October 2022 (UTC)
- Paulina Studniczka (WMPL) (talk) 07:28, 20 October 2022 (UTC)
- Sara Thomas (WMUK) (talk) 09:32, 20 October 2022 (UTC)
- Esma Gjertsen (WMUK) Esma Gjertsen (talk) 13:40, 20 October 2022 (UTC)
- --Vic Sfriso (WMAR) (talk) 16:53, 20 October 2022 (UTC)
- Scann (WDU) (talk) 18:35, 20 October 2022 (UTC)
- Nux (talk) 21:57, 20 October 2022 (UTC)
- ReoMartins (talk) 04:34, 21 October 2022 (UTC)
- Perohanych (talk) 22:42, 22 October 2022 (UTC)
- Maurus Achermann (WMCH) (talk) 11:17, 24 October 2022 (UTC)
- Martin Rulsch (WMDE) (talk) 08:25, 25 October 2022 (UTC) Pretty uncertain if I can attend. Maybe I will be in a train, reaching my hotel or already on the way to the local space in Cologne. But let's try. ;)
- —Gwanki✉ 10:41, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- James Rhoda (talk) 10:46, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Musa Vacho77 (talk) 10:51, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Mijesty (talk) 11:02, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Fatimah (talk) 16:20, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Ennydavids (talk) 12:07, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Titus Smiles(User talk: Titus Smiles|talk]])
- Aderiqueza (talk) 11:27, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Onwuka Glory (talk) 11:42, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Mwintirew (talk) 11:52, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- ShahajadaSJ7 (talk) 11:55, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Ngangaesther (talk) 12:00 , 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Towhidul Islam 21 (talk) 12:07, 25 October 2022 (UTC)Towhidul Islam 21Towhidul Islam 21 (talk) 12:07, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- SBAbigstan (talk) 12:11, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Sumasa (talk)Sumasa (talk) 12:30, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- NanaYawBotar (talk) 12:34, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Anupamdutta73 (talk) 12:40, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Micheal Kaluba (talk) 12:53, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Yusuf Sa'adu (talk) 13:05, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Promicis (talk) 14:22, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Aliyu shaba]]Talk 13:49, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Edward ambele (Talk) 5:45, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Lia WMCH (talk) 17:06, 24 October 2022 (UTC)
- ELescak (WMF) ELescak (WMF) (talk) 15:36, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Bukky658 (talk) 15:49, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Akwugo (talk) 15:54, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Munkaila Sulemana (talk) 16:12, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- User:Ms Kabintie--Ms Kabintie (talk) 16:24, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Ruby D-Brown (talk) 16:28, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Justine Msechu (talk)
- Accuratecy051 (talk) 20:48 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- Celetex (talk) 21:08, 25 October 2022 (UTC)#
- Umar a usman (talk) 09:18, 26 October 2022 (UTC)
- User:Faith Buyaki--Faith Buyaki (talk) 8:08, 26 October 2022 (UTC)
- NRahmi (WMID) (talk) 12:52, 26 October 2022 (UTC)
- Carla Toro (WMCL) (talk) 14:12, 26 October 2022 (UTC)
- Tamdra (talk) 18:38, 26 October 2022 (UTC)
- Macholi Chris Benard
- --Amélie Charles WMFr (talk) 08:03, 27 October 2022 (UTC)
- Jessica Stephenson (WMF)
- Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 12:58, 27 October 2022 (UTC)
- Constanza Verón (WMAR) (talk) 13:26, 27 October 2022 (UTC)
- Tahsin T. Talha (talk) 13:41, 27 October 2022 (UTC)
- Tiputini (talk) 13:49, 27 October 2022 (UTC)
- CapitainAfrika (talk) 14:03, 18 November 2022 (UTC)
The meeting is a part of Volunteer Supporters Network 2022 program. Learn more about it here. You can also check other upcoming and past VSN meetings.
The Volunteer Supporters Network's safe space policy for video conferences
Basic rules for all participants
- Friendliness and mutual respect – contribute to a pleasant atmosphere and a climate of friendliness and fairness. Refrain from statements that are intimidating, degrading, offensive or discriminatory, or that could be understood as such, even if you are talking about non-participants. Threats of violence, incitement to violence and unwanted sexual attention are unacceptable.
- Openness – Be open for all Wikimedians to participate. Restrictions can be made for organizational or technical reasons. Persons on the Wikimedia Foundation Event Ban list are excluded from participating in the video conference.
- Identity – Do not attempt to impersonate another person. Do not misrepresent your affiliation with any individual or entity.
- Privacy – Respect the self chosen degree of anonymity of all participants. Allow participation with audio only (without video). Use the names of the participants, which they themselves indicate in the video conference. If video and/or audio recordings are planned, all participants must be informed of this, including the intended purpose, before the start of the meeting. Still images (screenshots) may only be taken during the video conference with the express consent of all participants concerned.
- Data protection – Do not collect any personal data of the participants in the context of the video conference. For instance, do not demand that participants send you wikimails or reply to your wikimails. In the case of written notes intended for publication, use quotations that can be individually assigned sparingly and carefully. Never disclose or threaten to disclose private information about a person without explicit consent.
- Recognizability – The participant in the facilitation role is automatically identified during the video conference (e. g. with a star symbol, as "facilitator" or as "administrator", depending on the platform). Ideally, the facilitator should be the person who starts or leads the video conference. If this is not possible for technical reasons or if the facilitation role has to change during a video conference, please point this out to the other participants.
- Technical role – During the video conference, the facilitator has extended technical rights. This includes the ability to exclude other participants.
- Social role – The facilitator is expected to support compliance with these rules with his or her extended technical rights and to coordinate additional measures if necessary. The facilitator may take any action to enforce these rules, including excluding participants and terminating the video conference.
- Personal responsibility – All participants are responsible for compliance with these rules to the best of their ability.
- Reporting – If you believe that someone else is not following this policy, you have the following options: (1) point out the terms openly, (2) inform only the facilitator (for example, by using the direct chat function) and/or (3) inform the Wikimedia affiliate that offers the respective video conference platform.
- Consequences – In case of violations, the facilitator can act immediately. The Wikimedia affiliate providing the video conference platform may subsequently exclude participants from funding and a future participation in video conferences as well as, in the case of particularly serious violations, also pass on data to third parties.