WMDE Technical Wishes/Footnote highlighting
- When a reference is pointed to multiple times, once you jump to the references section, you don’t know which letter will bring you back to where you came from. Example: Footnote 2 in the article "Pfullendorf" on dewiki.
- A solution could be to highlight the letter in the footnote links that will bring you back to your original reading position.
This wish was discussed with several editors on Wikimania 2018. It was found to be uncontroversial. Some suggestions for the highlighting were made:
Scenario: "Letter "d" brings me back to the position in the text where I clicked on the footnote."
|1||Place the arrow directly in front of the letter||a b c ↑d e f g Siegfried Volk (siv): Pfullendorf. Geschichtsträchtige Industriestadt|
|2||Capital letter||↑ a b c D e f g Siegfried Volk (siv): Pfullendorf. Geschichtsträchtige Industriestadt|
|3||background color||↑ a b c d e f g Siegfried Volk (siv): Pfullendorf. Geschichtsträchtige Industriestadt|
|4||bold||↑ a b c d e f g Siegfried Volk (siv): Pfullendorf. Geschichtsträchtige Industriestadt|
- If you have jumped to a footnote that's referenced multiple times and want to jump back to your previous reading position,
- you can click on the arrow at the beginning of the footnote (in some wikis, like enwiki, it's a caret ^). This wasn’t clickable before. The tooltip now says "Jump back up".
- you can click on the superscript jump mark (e.g. a ) in the footnote. The one leading you back to your original position is highlighted bold.
- Scrolling back up, the highlighting persists.
- There can always be just one highlighted jump mark per page.
- Screen readers are supported with aria codes.
Due to caching, these changes will be visible on all pages on Dec 29 at the latest. They will be shown earlier if a page has been edited in the meantime, or if it has been purged.
- The highlighting of superscript jump mark doesn’t work for wikis where these jump marks are bold by default, e.g. enwiki. If those wikis want to have highlighted jump marks, they would need to change their default style for them to regular.
- In frwiki, the arrow at the beginning of the footnote currently doesn't work. (T210508)
- mediawiki.org (group 0): 2018-11-27
- non-Wikipedia wikis, incl. meta.wikimedia.org: 2018-11-28
- Wikipedias: 2018-11-29
- The task on Phabricator: T194511
As always, feedback is very welcome. The best place for it is this talk page.