As a mark of respect and paying tribute to Indian athletes and sportsperson who represent India at Olympics, Wikimedia India comes forward with an edit-a-thon to celebrate the success of Indian sportsmen.
- For every 20 articles created, Wikimedia India would plant a tree. The tree intends to symbolize 'Indian Wikipedians' support India at Olympics'.
- Considering tree plantation involves significant time and human labour, we have partnered with a tree plantation organisation SankalpTaru. They would be our sponsors for this event. These trees will be planted on a rural farmer's land who would further nurture these trees under the supervision of SankalpTaru. Once the harvest starts, the local inhabitants would start earning livelihood by selling fruits.
- Sankalp Taru has created a virtual forest specially for this event. This forest can be monitored online here.
- Every time an editor reaches the 20 articles mark, the editor will be awarded with a book themed on sports, keeping the upcoming Rio Olympics in mind.
- Niyogi Books will be our sponsor for the event.
- Wikimedia India as well as Niyogi Books appreciate the articles themed at sports as it’s well known that sports writing, which is definitely fun, also requires a great amount of hard work as they bring together motion and emotion through words.
The Wikimedia India Chapter (Registered Name: Wikimedia Chapter) is an independent and not-for-profit organization that is an affiliate of the Wikimedia Foundation with its office in Bangalore. Wikimedia India is an approved chapter by the Wikimedia Foundation for Wikimedians living in, or connected to India.