- For the parent page, see WikiCite
WikiCite 2017 is a 3-day conference, summit and hack day to be hosted in Vienna, Austria, on May 23-25, 2017. It expands efforts started last year with WikiCite 2016 to design a central bibliographic repository, as well as tools and strategies to improve information quality and verifiability in Wikimedia projects. Our goal is to bring together Wikimedia contributors, data modelers, information and library science experts, software engineers, designers and academic researchers who have experience working with Wikipedia's citations and bibliographic data.
This is the provisional structure of the event. Additional details will be communicated later.
- 22 May 2017
- Travel day, attendees arrive in Vienna
- 23 May 2017
- Day 1. (Conference) – present progress on existing work and initiatives for citations and bibliographic data across Wikimedia projects
- 24 May 2017
- Day 2. (Summit) – discuss technical, social, outreach and policy directions
- 25 May 2017
- Day 3. (Hack) – get together to build, based on new ideas and applications
- 26 May 2017
- Travel day, attendees leave
Attending the event
So you're interested in participating but are unsure if your profile fits with the scope of the event?
WikiCite is a hands-on event. These are examples of skills we're looking for:
- I am a regular Wikipedia contributor
- I have contributed data, data models, or new property proposals to Wikidata
- I am a regular contributor to other Wikimedia projects
- I write code and web applications
- I have experience with SPARQL
- I have experience writing bots / automated agents
- I have experience writing text and markup parsers
- I have worked with tools and applications for citations
- I have written tools to extract or analyze citations
- I have translated technical documentation
- I have experience visualizing data
- I have experience with bibliographic / citation standards and data models
- I work for an organization that will directly benefit from these efforts
These are examples of contributions we expect from participants:
- defining a technical roadmap / strategic directions for efforts focused on citations and source metadata
- mapping Wikimedia source metadata and Wikidata properties to existing bibliographic data models
- designing, product managing or developing tools/software
- conducting research and data analysis on citation and bibliographic data in Wikimedia projects
- performing user testing and/or writing documentation
- review existing quality control mechanisms
- organizing community outreach and engagement within Wikimedia communities
How to apply
Applications for the event are closed. In order to be added to a waitlist, please fill out this form and provide us with some information about yourself, your interests, and expected contribution. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT THE FINAL REGISTRATION FORM. The organizing committee will process the waitlist between March 10 and March 31, 2017.
- February 9, 2017: applications open
- February 27, 2017: applications close, waitlist opens
- March 10, 2017: all final notifications of acceptance are issued, waitlist processing begins
- March 31, 2017: attendee list is finalized
WikiCite '17 will be held at JUFA Wien City Hotel in Vienna, Austria.
Like last year, limited funding to cover travel costs of prospective participants will be available. Based on the travel support requests we received, we have informed applicants as to whether we can provide them with travel support. As of the end of March, these arrangements are being finalized.
WikiCite '17 is hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation and logistically supported by Wikimedia Austria. The event is generously supported by the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, and Science Sandbox, a Simons Foundation initiative. Funding to cover the cost of the event, and related development and outreach activities, has been approved by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
- Dario Taraborelli
- Jonathan Dugan
- Lydia Pintscher
- Daniel Mietchen
- Cameron Neylon
- Elizabeth Seiver
You can contact the organizers via firstname.lastname@example.org